• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C Stick Sliding

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I don't know if this is new or well known or not, but I certainly have not heard of it and it seems really useful for characters like Roy and Lucina.

I'll let the video talk but basically you interrupt a walk with a tilt c stick input in the opposite direction and certain characters can slide pretty far while staying "neutral". All you gotta do is hold attack down when you initiate it(can let go once sliding though)

TheDerp

Smash Cadet
Roses are Red, Violets are Red, Everything is Red.
NNID
DerpynessRules
Coincidentally, I found out that you could do this yesterday, but I didn't think of it much at the time, very interested now though.
I feel this could be used as a way to extend perfect pivots and be used in combination with C-Bounce, but there's possibly a lot more than that which you could use this for.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Coincidentally, I found out that you could do this yesterday, but I didn't think of it much at the time, very interested now though.
I feel this could be used as a way to extend perfect pivots and be used in combination with C-Bounce, but there's possibly a lot more than that which you could use this for.
I find that its very useful for quickly approaching with power shields, for example against mega man or Sonic, or for helping cover ledge options since you can effectively stand further back while still catching getup and releases with more options. Seems potent for charactees like Roy and Marth/Lucina.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I find that its very useful for quickly approaching with power shields, for example against mega man or Sonic, or for helping cover ledge options since you can effectively stand further back while still catching getup and releases with more options. Seems potent for charactees like Roy and Marth/Lucina.
So you mentioned Roy and Lucina, I was wondering about Marth. I can't test it yet. I know Lucina was sort of recently found to be able to perfect pivot certain moves retaining momentum that Marth can't. This isn't like that is it? Can Marth slide as well and do everything a Lucina can do in this instance?

Amazing video btw, I was just looking into bidou-esque moves and techniques I could use with basically a normal set up but by holding attack and using a-stick, so this is perfect for that.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
So you mentioned Roy and Lucina, I was wondering about Marth. I can't test it yet. I know Lucina was sort of recently found to be able to perfect pivot certain moves retaining momentum that Marth can't. This isn't like that is it? Can Marth slide as well and do everything a Lucina can do in this instance?

Amazing video btw, I was just looking into bidou-esque moves and techniques I could use with basically a normal set up but by holding attack and using a-stick, so this is perfect for that.
Marth can slide as well as Roy and Lucina, but Lucina is the only one who slides ridiculously far with jab and utilt. Marth kinds "fidgets" forward with utilt a tiny amount, but jab stops him in place. All 3 can slide notably far with up and dsmash using this.

The skill shows a lot of promise, but there are a couple of road blocks that make it a minor nuisance against fast characters like Falcon and Sonic that are in your face. Mainly, it's pulling it off quickly in pressure without dashing by accident.

As long as you remember that you can just react to everything they do (since you're technically standing still) theoretically this isn't an issue. In practice its pretty hard to focus on two very separate things, especially when at least one is timing based. My guess is that this is just something you gotta grind out. I've worked out using it to help cover ledges, but that's my only current consistent use.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Marth can slide as well as Roy and Lucina, but Lucina is the only one who slides ridiculously far with jab and utilt. Marth kinds "fidgets" forward with utilt a tiny amount, but jab stops him in place. All 3 can slide notably far with up and dsmash using this.

The skill shows a lot of promise, but there are a couple of road blocks that make it a minor nuisance against fast characters like Falcon and Sonic that are in your face. Mainly, it's pulling it off quickly in pressure without dashing by accident.

As long as you remember that you can just react to everything they do (since you're technically standing still) theoretically this isn't an issue. In practice its pretty hard to focus on two very separate things, especially when at least one is timing based. My guess is that this is just something you gotta grind out. I've worked out using it to help cover ledges, but that's my only current consistent use.
Yeah, Jab and Up tilt are the moves I was referencing. Do you have another attack button than A assigned on your controls? A is really awkward to use with a C-stick and wanting to do a move. I set my L from Jump to Attack and it's working pretty well, but just wondering if you had a different button set.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Yeah, Jab and Up tilt are the moves I was referencing. Do you have another attack button than A assigned on your controls? A is really awkward to use with a C-stick and wanting to do a move. I set my L from Jump to Attack and it's working pretty well, but just wondering if you had a different button set.
No, i use the default A. I use a claw grip for Smash and on 3DS for Monster hunter, so I am accustomed to it. I claw my index finger over the top when i need to do this (or instant up airs) but i go back to regular grip afterwards.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Its called Bidou. Using attack works but if I remember correctly it is very easy to get stuck initiating jab combos while holding down the attack button; rather than performing the pivot. Orthodox Bidou is definitely the most effective way to make use of pivoting.
I currently have been running Bidou Lucina. I'd say Bidou places her in the top ten.

The video is a little deceiving. Most of what it shows are successive pivots ending with a down input. A single dash>c-tilt will not yield as much distance as what the video is mostly showing. Also it claims Falcon has a short slide when in fact Falcon slides near as far as Lucina when performing Bidou. The video also claims that it is easy to implement and while I agree I would not recommend it to the majority of the Smash community. I have come across very many imitators that can use it to pivot but never execute attacks, dodges, or any inputs alongside it.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Its called Bidou. Using attack works but if I remember correctly it is very easy to get stuck initiating jab combos while holding down the attack button; rather than performing the pivot. Orthodox Bidou is definitely the most effective way to make use of pivoting.
I currently have been running Bidou Lucina. I'd say Bidou places her in the top ten.

The video is a little deceiving. Most of what it shows are successive pivots ending with a down input. A single dash>c-tilt will not yield as much distance as what the video is mostly showing. Also it claims Falcon has a short slide when in fact Falcon slides near as far as Lucina when performing Bidou. The video also claims that it is easy to implement and while I agree I would not recommend it to the majority of the Smash community. I have come across very many imitators that can use it to pivot but never execute attacks, dodges, or any inputs alongside it.
Its not the same as bidou. Bidou is simply using the b stick to accurately "spoof" frame perfect inputs alongside perfect pivoting. That's why Falcon goes so far using that method, his perfect pivot travels far.

You can't do this method with a dash input, which is why Falcon does not move far using this. The travel distances and inputs are different from this and bidou, there is nothing misleading about it lol. It is unrelated to bidou, though it exploits a similar control mechanic.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Also called pivot walking, doop walking, sticky walking, etc. It's been known for years and years, 2008 and earlier if you could do it in melee.

Machii

Smash Apprentice
Its not the same as bidou. Bidou is simply using the b stick to accurately "spoof" frame perfect inputs alongside perfect pivoting. That's why Falcon goes so far using that method, his perfect pivot travels far.

You can't do this method with a dash input, which is why Falcon does not move far using this. The travel distances and inputs are different from this and bidou, there is nothing misleading about it lol. It is unrelated to bidou, though it exploits a similar control mechanic.
I was wrong, you are correct. The attack command seems to have some property that special command does not. Can't find a related post, but I've seen that inputting attack while occupying a ledge prior to jumping causes the attack animation to null while executing jump with less frames. Definitely some spooky stuff going on with the attack command.

Top Bottom