• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-stick should be banned?

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
I know it's an old issue and people make jokes about it, but i think we should seriously debate banning the C-Stick in tournaments again.
I'm not even gonna go into how it is ridiculous that you can't use it in Training Mode without hacking the game, giving cheaters a natural advantage, what really concerns me is balance.
In our local scene, we have been restricting C-Stick use for a long time now and it really works wonders.
Many of the so called "top-tier" character heavily utilize the C-Stick, while a lot of the characters that some consider lower "tiered" don't profit as much from exploiting it.
Ever since we've implemented that rule, two of our best players, which happen to main characters that don't abuse the C-Stick as much, started getting a lot better results while the players that main kinda overpowered characters like Marth, Peach and the Captain Falcon had to work a lot harder when they can't just throw out attacks that easily anymore.
So i mean think about it, wouldn't it naturally be the only right decision to change the rules so that more characters become good and hacking is less necessary? Please discuss this topic seriously.

Last edited:

Lord Horatio

Smash Apprentice
How would enforcement off this rule even work? C-sticks are an integral part of the standard controller for Melee and everyone has the opportunity to use it, it's just that some characters utilize it more. Should we also ban the use L-cancelling so that Fox and Falco won't have the unfair advantage of infinite shines?

Sudoi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blargbla
To put it bluntly: Hell No.

To explain it:

You don't need to go into Training Mode to practice. You can only do one useful thing: Slow down the game. And even that is just a silly unneeded function. Just go into Normal mode, and practice tech against some CPU's.

And if you think it's cheating to use the C-Stick in single player, there's a reason why it's disabled.

C-Stick obviously controls the camera in SP, and you can't have multiple people controlling the camera.

It isn't that the C-Stick was disabled for Single Player, it's the other way around.

Noodles n' stuff

Smash Rookie
There is no need to hack the game to practice with the c stick just plug in a second controller . Banning the c stick is ridiculous, whats next banning grabs because marths is too good? Low tier players like amsa get by fine with the current rule set they dont need their oppone ts to be handicapped in any way. There also isnt an overpowered move you can just spam without being punished once you become predictable.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I know it's an old issue and people make jokes about it, but i think we should seriously debate banning the C-Stick in tournaments again.
I'm not even gonna go into how it is ridiculous that you can't use it in Training Mode without hacking the game, giving cheaters a natural advantage, what really concerns me is balance.
In our local scene, we have been restricting C-Stick use for a long time now and it really works wonders.
Many of the so called "top-tier" character heavily utilize the C-Stick, while a lot of the characters that some consider lower "tiered" don't profit as much from exploiting it.
Ever since we've implemented that rule, two of our best players, which happen to main characters that don't abuse the C-Stick as much, started getting a lot better results while the players that main kinda overpowered characters like Marth, Peach and the Captain Falcon had to work a lot harder when they can't just throw out attacks that easily anymore.
So i mean think about it, wouldn't it naturally be the only right decision to change the rules so that more characters become good and hacking is less necessary? Please discuss this topic seriously.
You want to ban a button/stick? Also these "cheaters" don't have much of an advantage because the hack pack isn't even used in tournaments.

Last edited:

FlintTheWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwiggitySteven
I really hope that this is a joke. You can't ban a part of the controller that everyone can use. Just because some characters don't benefit from it doesn't mean you can outright ban it. That's like saying that you should ban wavedashing because some characters have bad wavedashes, or that you should ban recovery moves because some characters have bad recoveries.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
Regardless of my opinion on the idea of Banning C-Stick the banning of the c-stick is nearly impossible to do. It's like RIGHT THERE on the controller, how would one go about monitoring this, you can't necessarily tell if someone uses it on screen, you basically need someone to stare at the player's controllers the entire time.

Anyways Banning C-Stick just because it benefits certain characters is silly, different game mechanics benefit different characters in different ways. Wave-dashing for example benefits Luigi far more than say Zelda, L-Canceling helps everyone, but G&W has a move that doesnt even cancel, Dash Dancing is important for characters like Marth but near irrelevant for Jigglypuff,heck you could take it down to saying Down Smash helps Peach significantly more than basically anyone else. What I'm saying is banning any game mechanic because it benefits a certain character more than another doesn't make any sense as this can be applied to basically everything in the game

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
Your scene is actually hurting its own players by restricting them from c-stick practice at tournaments.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol this is absolutely stunning.

Why change the 14+ year standard of allowing the c-stick?

NOT having c-stick in 1p is the real problem.

My vote is ban L and Y because I don't use those buttons :denzel:

Doctor Doomsday

Smash Rookie
This whole post makes me cringe.
The next one will read: "I don't think we should be allowed to use the B-button. So many characters have the ability to exploit the use of the B-button and now I'm starting to think it is a little bit unfair."

Doctor Doomsday

Smash Rookie
Please discuss this topic seriously.
Also, how do you expect us to discuss this seriously? You're asking players to ignore a part of the controller that has been around as long as the game has. Low tiers are low tiers, you can't make them more viable by trying to make the game more difficult for others. Low tiers can become viable if you get good though.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
You say that your top players have gotten a lot better since implementing this rule, however this is only because everyone has become slower and less precise due to not using the c stick. Your players are hindering themselves, and creating players who are good at this arbitrary rule set. By continuing to use this rule your scene has placed a skill cap on itself that would be surpassed if you were all using the c stick. Which is not cheating, by the way, since using the c stick is programmed into versus mode by default.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
you can train with c-stick by choosing a common versus battle, set the computer IA to dumb, stock to 99/99 and time to infinite...

i know it is not perfect like traiing mode but i am trying to help...

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
I don't no how you "ban" the c stick if its on the controllers l but I say no because sometimes a Smash attack could be a tilt

MordhauDerk

Smash Cadet
Let's ban shines while we are at it. It give the spacies an unfair advantage over poor non-spacies.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
This is one of the most god damn stupid suggestions I've heard in a while. Banning the c-stick makes no sense because it's right there, on every GameCube controller. Everyone has it. It's not turbo mode. It's not even an enforceable rule, as there's no difference between a Marth c-stick ftilt and a Marth a-and-stick ftilt.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah, like people said before me, I really don't think banning it is a good idea, and it's not like there's any way of enforcing it. I mean, sure... if you have an old arse 2001 purple gamecube controller like mine, the :GCCN: stick makes a much different noise when used than the :GCN:, but that's not the case with every GC controller, you can't go off of that.
Also, it just makes all the training they have to use the C-Stick go to waste unnecessarily, especially when I doubt any other tournament has anything like this.
I think if you abrogated that rule, it would only be better for the players of your scene in the long run.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
PPMD didn't use c-stick for the longest time lol, I don't know how he still had so much control back in the day.

Last edited:

CeeLew

Smash Rookie
Did I seriously just witness a solid 12+ people be successfully trolled. Come on guys.

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
Banning the c-stick is an awful idea because of these ideas:
  • Main part of GC controller
  • People use the c-stick because it's comfortable and resourceful
  • How can you ban a c-stick?
  • Without the c-stick, will it affect players?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It's also a vital DI tool. People who actually despise the c-stick probably just really take pride in their aerial control and perfect timing on smash attacks, but they forget about that.

Actually what am I saying, most of them are just mad that their friend/smash nemesis bopped them rofl

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
No guys he's right, we should ban the C-Stick. And the control stick too because some characters like Fox have too much mobility because of that.

MKarma

Smash Cadet
This is crazy talk, just because a part of the controls doesn't work in one mode on a game it should be banned everywhere?

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
More like successfully bored, lmao. Easy troll is easy.
"I knew it was a troll the whole time xd" Yeah ok, whatever man. Even if I was trolling which I would never do, there's always that guy who pretends to have known the whole time.

Top Bottom