• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick for smash attacks or tilts.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
Hey guys, i've decided with ultimate i'm gonna really try to learn the ins and outs of the game this time round, always been relatively competitive but i've never put too much time into practicing.
Onto the question though, i've always had an issue with tilt attacks, I find it very difficult to pull them off unless i'm standing still (truth be told i'm amazed there' still not been an option to turn off smash attacks with the main stick), now i've tried switching to using the c stick to tilts several times with limited success since muscle memory i've had since melee means I use it for smash attacks.
However i've seen some good arguments for switching to tilts especially with the way ultimate works with short hops, however I also know it's buggy as well...since tilts sometimes simply don't work due to how their programmed with the c-stick, so i'm wondering if you guys think the pro's outweigh the cons or vice-versa?.
I would'nt want to spend the time learning it if it turns out to be unreliable especially since I play online quite often.

spectreLK

Smash Rookie
I switched mine to tilt because I couldn’t up tilt on the ground normally. I have tap jump on and always played that way. It feels weird having it turned off. Most of the time, I use a combination of using the C stick or just tilting normally for aerials.

StaticXY

Smash Rookie
Personal preference. I made the same decision as Triggerpig to get more competitive at Smash this time round too, and I've benefited from Tilt Stick. Without it, I just can't hit tilts that reliably, and a poorly timed, accidental Smash attack can get punished hard. Smash Attacks are easy enough to pull off without a dedicated stick, so I'd use Tilt Stick, especially if you're not used to tilts and want to start incorporating them into your gameplay.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Personal preference. I made the same decision as Triggerpig to get more competitive at Smash this time round too, and I've benefited from Tilt Stick. Without it, I just can't hit tilts that reliably, and a poorly timed, accidental Smash attack can get punished hard. Smash Attacks are easy enough to pull off without a dedicated stick, so I'd use Tilt Stick, especially if you're not used to tilts and want to start incorporating them into your gameplay.
Basically this.

Reliably chaining tilts into aerials at early percentages is essential to pretty much every character's gameplan, and having both tilts and smashes in your arsenal of 'moves you meant to do' gives you twice as many options when in neutral, so you're harder to read. In my experience, you're more likely to accidentally smash when meaning to tilt than tilt when meaning to smash.

Plus, for many characters, their tilts actually have more range than their smashes, particularly utilts. With how often battlefield stages are used now, that's a big disadvantage you're putting yourself in if you can't use an uptilt to hit someone on the platform above you.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
Not to mention you can immediately attack out of dash now, so dash > tilt is very important, but tough to pull off without tilt stick (especially forward tilt!)

Quillion

Smash Hero
This very question is the reason why I want a toggle for turning off Tap Smash. I like both C Smash and AB Smash, but I'd like to turn off Tap Smash.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
Thanks for all the responses guys!, seems tilt it is...this is gonna very be painful to learn haha.
Also agreed Quillion, it's kinda ridiculous and very frustrating how many options the games give us to use smash attacks with but won't let us turn that one off.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Thanks for all the responses guys!, seems tilt it is...this is gonna very be painful to learn haha.
Also agreed Quillion, it's kinda ridiculous and very frustrating how many options the games give us to use smash attacks with but won't let us turn that one off.
Don't worry, there's a chance. Remember when the AB Smash toggle was added to Smash 4?

We just need to be a bit more unified and louder.

Indecision

Smash Rookie
Another thing that has yet to be mentioned is how Smash vs Tilt effects your aerials.

Go into training mode, full jump and do a FAir with the C-Stick. You'll notice you move forward compared to where you started. You'll move forward more with smash than tilt meaning using tilt stick for aerials will effect your trajectory and momentum less.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
IMO Tilt is way better. It was bad in the past because there were weird glitches with it (using tilt stick would sometimes make you jump, and if you daired with it you would always fast-fall), but these have been fixed so it's a very good option now. Plus, you can pivot boost your FTilt super easily, and it's an important tactic with some characters.

Top Bottom