• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-stick, A-stick, or B-stick?

How do you use your c-stick?

• C-sticking

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A-sticking

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • B-sticking

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
How do you guys use your c-stick with Mega Man-- smashes (c-sticking), tilts (a-sticking) or specials (b-sticking)? I feel like he's got some really interesting things he can do with each setup. Off the top of my head:

C-STICKING
  • Easier smash attacks
  • Easier directional throws for items like Metal Blade
  • Easier retreating fairs and bairs
  • Tap down while crouching to jab while holding Metal Blade
  • Tap down while in fair to cancel into jab (can be used to "natural slide")
  • Fsmash, dsmash, or usmash out of perfect pivot
A-STICKING
  • Easier tilts
  • Utilt or dtilt out of perfect pivot
  • Easier to buffer uair without accidentally usmashing
  • Can wave bounce the Leaf Shield throw
B-STICKING
  • Easier to do stuff like UpB while running forward (I somrtimes accidentally skid when I do it manually)
  • Easier to do retreating SideBs and DownBs
  • Easier wave bouncing for SideB and DownB
  • Perform turnaround B attacks without losing air momentum
Anything I missed?

I think my preference is actually to B-stick. Mega Man gets a LOT out of wave bouncing and retreating B attacks. It gives him great options for spacing his special attacks, which is particularly useful for stuff like Danger Wrap and Leaf Shield toss.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I love my A-stick, although I admit I haven't given B-stick much of a try.

I love Utilt and A-stick let's me do it easily without accidently doing a Usmash. I haven't tried it with Mega's air game yet, so thank you for reminding me to try that out!

warionumbah2

Smash Master
A-Sticking is my control scheme for MM, retreating fairs is amazing against Jiggleypuff. I also use SH bairs to send people off stage. I don't use smash attacks often anyway: F-Smash i never use, D-Smash i use when i read a roll, U-Smash i use after i do a down throw and predict an airdodge i then follow my opponent and U-Smash them.

I will try B-sticking tho never heard of that one.

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Is it at all possible to wavebounce a metal blade with B-sticking? I know that sometimes, I can get a neutral out of A-sticking, but I can't seem to get a neutral out of B-sticking.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Is it at all possible to wavebounce a metal blade with B-sticking? I know that sometimes, I can get a neutral out of A-sticking, but I can't seem to get a neutral out of B-sticking.
Theoretically. If you do a perfect diagonal input on the cstick it should produce a metal blade. I find that input too fidgety to be reliable though.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Could you explain how to do this?
Once you've started a jab/ftilt combo by pressing A once, hold the control stick forward while tapping down on your cstick twice to slide forward and use your "jab" pellets rather than walk and use your "ftilt" pellets.

The upshot is that you end up doing 1-2% more damage than you would if you walked forward and ftilt'd, and you get jab's higher knock back.

The downside is that if you mess up the timing, you're going to do a dsmash, which is almost never good.

I personally think it's too high a risk for too little reward, but hey, if you can do it consistently it's better than ftilt

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Theoretically. If you do a perfect diagonal input on the cstick it should produce a metal blade. I find that input too fidgety to be reliable though.
um its actually easier to wavebounce neutral b without B-sticking. Wavebounce it just Turnaround-B + B-reversal.
You simply flick backwards, Return to neutral + B (you now just did a turnaround-B),
Turnaround-B=:GCL:> :GCN:+:GCB:
B-reversal=:GCN:+:GCB:>:GCL:
Wavebounce=(:GCL:>:GCN:+ [ :GCB: ) > :GCR:]

(turnaround) [B-reversal]

If you are having trouble doing other wavebouncing other specials. I think i can explain

As on now I believe C-stick is best stick, since everything else does can be bridged with a reasonable amount of dexterity, but Crouch Jab cannot.

Though precise aerials without Flicking C-stick (C-stick kills movement stick so teh longer you hold it, the more speed you lose, Megaman has high Air acceleration so it is even more significant to megaman as opposed to someone like sonic) is a very strong case for A-sticking, and Easier to buffer an U-air from a Jump without accidentally Usmashing is huge

Last edited:

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys use your c-stick with Mega Man-- smashes (c-sticking), tilts (a-sticking) or specials (b-sticking)? I feel like he's got some really interesting things he can do with each setup. Off the top of my head:

C-STICKING
  • Easier smash attacks
  • Tap down while crouching to jab while holding Metal Blade
  • Tap down while in fair to cancel into jab (can be used to "natural slide")
  • Fsmash, dsmash, or usmash out of perfect pivot
A-STICKING
  • Easier tilts
  • Utilt or dtilt out of perfect pivot
B-STICKING
  • Easier to do stuff like UpB while dashing forward
  • Easier to do retreating SideBs and DownBs
  • Wave bouncing
  • Perform turnaround B attacks without losing air momentum
Anything I missed?

I think my preference is actually to B-stick. Mega Man gets a LOT out of wave bouncing and retreating B attacks. It gives him great options for spacing his special attacks, which is particularly useful for stuff like Danger Wrap and Leaf Shield toss.
A-sticking you forgot to mention it is easier to Buffer an U-air from a jump.
This is because if you attempt to buffer an u-air out of a jump, you do an Usmash. But you tilt an U-air, you successfully buffer an U-air without Usmashing.
A-stick, makes it easier to do tilts; therefore, Easier Buffer U-air

Also for A-stick, it makes Wavebouncing LS easy since you can toss leafshield with A.

As for B-sticking, it does not make Up-B out of a dash easier. Dash can only be canceled by Jump, side-B, Dash attack, Grab, and pivot grab. To Up-B out of Dash you have to Jump cancel Up-B.
You may have confused dash with Run, Run you can cancel with any special

So i feel that B-stick is the worst of these since its only benefit is Easy wavebouncing Side-B, and "Perform turnaround B attacks without losing air momentum"

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
um its actually easier to wavebounce neutral b without B-sticking. Wavebounce it just Turnaround-B + B-reversal.
You simply flick backwards, Return to neutral + B (you now just did a turnaround-B),
Turnaround-B=:GCL:> :GCN:+:GCB:
B-reversal=:GCN:+:GCB:>:GCL:
Wavebounce=(:GCL:>:GCN:+ [ :GCB: ) > :GCR:]

(turnaround) [B-reversal]

If you are having trouble doing other wavebouncing other specials. I think i can explain

As on now I believe C-stick is best stick, since everything else does can be bridged with a reasonable amount of dexterity, but Crouch Jab cannot.

Though precise aerials without Flicking C-stick (C-stick kills movement stick so teh longer you hold it, the more speed you lose, Megaman has high Air acceleration so it is even more significant to megaman as opposed to someone like sonic) is a very strong case for A-sticking, and Easier to buffer an U-air from a Jump without accidentally Usmashing is huge
I think you may be overstating your case against b-sticking here. Manual wave bouncing may be possible but it certainly isn't "simple" or "easier." I find it much easier to consistently pull off wave bounced specials, to include neutral, side, and down B, using b-sticking. (I can only do manual wave bounce in training mode at 1/2 speed, and even then I'm not very consistent.) Different strokes different folks I guess. For those of us who can't consistently hit multiple, precise 1-2 frame inputs, b-sticking can still be very useful.

Being able to wave bounce leaf shield toss using a-sticking is a neat find though. (I wonder why it doesn't work with c-sticking?) Obviously you still have to either b-stick or manual wave bounce the LS activation, but that's not as useful as wave bounced LS toss.

Using astick to buffer a uair is also pretty cool. Adding to OP.

Playing around with a sticking a little more, I find it makes instant dash attacking from standing position a little easier. Smash to the side on the control stick and tap the c-stick in any direction and voila, dash attack. You can do the same with csticking but only if you tap it downward.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
One other thing I've realized I like about a-sticking is that it doesn't auto fastball our dair.

This means that we can easily run off stage and do a dair without accidentally fast falling, which is not something I'm normally willing to risk trying.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Just tried, you can wavebounce leafshield with C-stick if you flick. So It's comparatively slightly harder than A-stick and B-stick in that regard

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I honestly stil have C stick to smashes for easier pivot Fsmashes, but I may switch to A stick for PP purposes.

I don't really use my C stick much anymore anyway. Been playing on an arcade stick and 3DS for the last few years and lost the habit of using it.

Top Bottom