• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Byleth's Stage Picks

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
I'm starting to play Byleth in competitive more and more and am finding the stage picking process very interesting. A lot of stages seem to be very give and take for Byleth. Having a smaller stage like Lylat, for example, make it easier for the opponent to reach Byleth, but if Byleth gains advantage, than the opponent is far easier to juggle as Byleth has less ground to cover with their terrible speed.

Final Destination on the other hand strengthens Byleth's zoning but gives them nowhere to land once they are in disadvantage. It's this kind of thinking that has me banning different stages every match I play. So I am curious what other Byleth players think of each legal stage. I think their three best stages are

Battlefield: Byleth seems to have a symbiotic relationship with platforms. Byleth has excellent platform coverage for tech chases, and the platforms help Byleth land when they are thrown into disadvantage. Hiding under platforms also makes a lot of Byleth's moves more safe, just an overall great stage for the character.

Kalos: For when you REALLY need to camp. The length of this stage offers most of the benefits of FD. The platforms really help Byleth deal with ledge pressure, and Byleth's ledge guarding tools are strong enough to not let the opponent take advantage of the platforms with proper reads. A great counterpick when you just cannot get your opponent off of you. The only downside is you cannot go quite as low for recovery, which makes it a bit easier to edge guard you.

Lylat: This stage surprises me every time I pick it. The smaller blast zones mean your kill moves kill even earlier, and once again you have platforms to rely on. The slopes can mess with your spacing, but the same applies to your opponent, especially if they are beating you with projectiles. You can actually use the slopes as cover to fire your bow, which goes across the stage. Once again, the small size of this stage is both a curse and a blessing. If you gain control of the stage, your opponent has literally nowhere to run. But the stage is much harder to gain control of against faster opponents.

Do you agree with these choices? And is there anything you want to add? My experience is still fairly limited so I could be wrong about some things, and I have yet to cover every stage.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big fan of Kalos if only because it's so much easier to recover with Up B by grappling the wall because I usually end up botching my recovery on stages like Battlefield and FD

KenanTheFab

Smash Rookie
Honestly, any stage with walls like Kalos is an immediate major advantage for Byleth. Though Byleth has a minor benefit on all stages due to the hookjump mechanic. If someone is trying to edge guard (Cough cough Ness) you can drop from the ledge via side or downwards input and immediantly up-b to grab onto the side and jump away, allowing you, with good timing and positioning, land flat onto the stage with a side-B, or clear the way with another move.

Top Bottom