• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buying Gamecube controller shells?

ItsMePre

Smash Rookie
I want to make my own custom controller , and to do so I need a new controller shell. I can't find anywhere that sells just the shell itself.

Anyone have a link to a site that does?

Pauer

The Pauerful
To my knowledge, you can buy cheap third party controllers on places like aliexpress.com, the ones that look like the original ones and they should fit with the insides of original, only that you might have to sand down some parts to fit 100%.
I don't know about how good they make the octagon joystick gate, which could impact your playing.
So maybe you should look into getting a first party shell. You probably won't find one sold on its own, try looking for defective original controllers on eBay, you should be able to find a reasonable deal there.

ItsMePre

Smash Rookie
Was not even thinking about defected controllers. Thanks for the help!!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
If you're planning on making a half-and-half controller with two different shells, make sure that both shells come from the same manufacturer.

I tried attaching the bottom-half of an orange third-party shell to the top half of a black first-party controller but they had different inside shapes. There wasn't enough room for the rumble-actuators from a first-party controller to fit in the third-party shell. Likewise the motherboard from the third party controller wouldn't fit inside the top half of the first-party controller.

Last edited:

ChibiRoboMan

Smash Rookie
It's not gonna be easy finding someone who exclusively makes shells for GC controllers...Gonna have to buy the whole controller and gut it essentially. They have really cheap 3rd party ones you could find on eBay that look just like the original Nintendo GC controllers from a cosmetic POV. It's a little bit of extra work and a bit of an investment but it'll be cheaper and more beneficial in the long run.

CGQ

Smash Rookie
I've been having the same problem, trying to find nice, good looking Gamecube controller shells. So far the best thing I've found is multishinedesigns.com, but they have a lot of things that are out of stock and the parts are kind of expensive, but they look really good.

Top Bottom