• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buying a new monitor during holiday sales, but feel lost.

Samlage

Smash Cadet
Right, as my topic implies, I plan to buy a new monitor for gaming purposes, mainly smash 4. I know that its not as big concern when it comes to this games as in say melee, but i am very sensitive when it comes to any sort of delay. I even notice when eco mode is activated instead of game mode on most screens.

My current pc-monitor is a cheap AOC-monitor i bought for like a hundred usd 5 years ago, and it suffers from screen tearing and other nuisances. The main television we have in the livingroom was bought less than a year ago. It has vivid colors, smart functions and all that, but it suffers from noticable input lag and sometimes wants to go into standby midgame for no apparent reason and is just flatout unrealiable.

the ones I have taken interest intro are these 2:

https://www.asus.com/se/Monitors/VP247H/

http://gaming.benq.com/gaming-monitor/xl2411z

Now, money isnt really an issue. But considering the fact that the benq is almost twice as expensive, it feels like a waste if the Asus would suffice.

Now the important part: I consider colors and eyecandy just to be topping, i do not care about that enough to pay more. I am the guy who would minimize the resolution in FPS-games on the pc just to get more performance. Minimal Input delay and fluent performance is what I want to the largest extent possible.

So, any hints and advice would be appreciated :grin:

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
The BenQ xl2411z is definitely the monitor especially for PC gaming, but if you're just playing Smash 4 and other console games, I can't see why the ASUS VP247H wouldn't suffice.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Both monitors should be fine, I just swear by BenQ though, since that is my personal preference.

Samlage

Smash Cadet
The BenQ xl2411z is definitely the monitor especially for PC gaming, but if you're just playing Smash 4 and other console games, I can't see why the ASUS VP247H wouldn't suffice.

So, i would most likely not gain anything performance-wise when playing wii u if I pick up the BenQ over the Asus?

I will use it with my desktop as well. But my gaming in general will be limited to sm4sh/pm/melee and various other in the fighting game genre. And isometric games like Dota 2. Nothing in the FPS-genre.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
So, i would most likely not gain anything performance-wise when playing wii u if I pick up the BenQ over the Asus?

I will use it with my desktop as well. But my gaming in general will be limited to sm4sh/pm/melee and various other in the fighting game genre. And isometric games like Dota 2. Nothing in the FPS-genre.
For console games, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Iirc, even if you have a 144Hz monitor, it'll just revert back to 60Hz for console. However, for PC games like DotA 2 you'll get a way smoother experience.

For console games, both monitors are okay, but overall the BenQ is the better monitor. If you're serious about PC gaming or just invest a lot of time in it, I'd go with the BenQ. Otherwise, Asus would suffice.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Any particular reason besides the brand?
I just have better experiences with BenQ. Bt yeah, IIke the other person said, it won't matter for most console games, but if you pc game enlugh, it is worth it.

Top Bottom