• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Buy Smash + 3DS XL now or wait to N3DS XL

MagnanimousPrime

Smash Rookie
Hey quick question (not really very quick sorry); I don't own a 3DS or any other Nintendo system and I'm contemplating buying a 3DS XL with Smash soon. I smashed every day all day on N64 for more than a decade and Melee for years and I've been very interested in the newest iteration of the game. Because of my lifestyle and profession I can't really buy a Wii U or a TV etc etc. My questions is this: should I buy a 3DS XL now because of great deals and smash away......or wait for the N3DS in the next several months and smash with the C-stick? Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Hmm...
It's a tough question, and totally up to you. If your only reason for getting the 3ds is to play Smash, you may want the New 3ds for the control stick. Although, keep in mind it's not necessary to have the second control stick to play Smash. You could possibly do both, selling the bought 3ds xl when the New 3ds xl comes out. There is probably money loss in this though, depending on how much you are buying for and how much you could sell for when the time comes.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Definitely wait unless you have a reason to immediately start playing (like friends that you really wanna play with or a local tournament you wanna enter).

MagnanimousPrime

Smash Rookie
Ok, thank you. Also, just for a timing perspective, when does the general public expect the new XL 3DS to come out? (I've heard april is a popular time for Nintendo). I'm also curious to see if they will stagger the release of each size/model. And just a little background, I currently don't own a system of any kind and the only games I play are SSB, Zelda, Mario, and a bit of Roid.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'd recommend waiting, but if you're desperate - don't, it's bad - then you could get a used 3DS or Wii U. I don't recommend it since a new one is often safer and more reliable and a New 3DS will probably end up having much more exclusives since it's essentially a DSi at this point.

If you really want to play SSB4, you could find friends to play with. Maybe play Project M? I don't know.

Greda

Smash Journeyman
If a Nintendo Direct comes this month with a release by June for the N3DS, wait. If not, buy a regular XL, I'm pretty sure there will be good options to trade it in at a discount.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
If you can wait for it, go ahead and do so. Maybe borrow a friends one in the meantime? Otherwise owning your own now isn't that bad of an idea; get a used one and play to your hearts content.

Tali_Zorha

Smash Rookie
I say wait for it you can. I got my 3DS a few months before the New 3D was announced and I wished I would of waited.

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
I say wait for the n3ds, since it's most likely coming out the same time as mh4, so you will have something to play along with smash. Having a cstick will open a lot of options to you as well.

1amayzingman

Smash Cadet
NNID
1amayzingman
lol if i were you i would just purchase Smash + a 3DS XL (or if you have a Wii U purchase Smash on that rather because the 3DS version is immensely boring in comparison).

the new 3ds is just another one of nintendo's marketing schemes. I'm sure Nintendo could find some way for smash players to upload their screenshots to miiverse some how, but no, you have to buy a new ****ing console to do it.

so yeah, just buy a normal 3DS XL.

Last edited:

Valacar

Smash Cadet
Up to you entreily but I personally wouldnt waste the money when I know for a fact new and better technology is coming out soon. That's just my own opinion though.

jxthrx

Smash Rookie
NNID
jxthrx
Like a lot of other people are saying, i would hold off for a bit until we get a definite answer as to when the new 3DS is going to release.

I'd give it about a month or so before i would consider anything, and if we still haven't heard much about it then i would say go ahead and just pick up a 3DS XL + Smash.

Of course if you're super antsy about waiting for the new 3DS, you could always import one from Japan. Of course it's going to be a bit more expensive, plus you'll have to deal with region locked games, but if you're too impatient to wait it out it's always an option.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Wait until they clarify the North American ambassador program for New 3DS. If you're Europe, check out what they get.

If you like it, get a regular 3DS or 2DS now with Smash cause it's cheaper and you'll be able to start playing. When the new one comes out, upgrade, be an ambassador.

As I missed the ambassador program last time, I'm really hoping I can get the Game Boy Advance games from the last program when I upgrade to a New 3DS

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
New 3DS XL owner here.

If you're getting the 3DS XL just for Smash, I'd probably say that the norm 3DS is more than enough. The second thumbstick for the N3DS is not very good, the best I can describe it is that strange thumb stick you get on some laptops as a mouse substitute.

But if you want a big library for your 3DS I'd say get the New 3DS, the extra buttons and improved CPU are already generating the interest of several developers.

Top Bottom