• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Button Preference for Wavedashing?

What buttons do you use to perform a wavedash?

• An even mix of jumping with the Tap Jump, X and Y buttons -> Air Dodge

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Custom button controls (if given the option in the first place)

• Another Method

• Total voters

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Wavedashing is a hard thing to do consistently in Melee as I find. I'm simply wondering what buttons you use to wavedash when playing Melee, whenever practicing or playing actual matches, since there's more than 1 combination of buttons to perform it. I just want to know your perspective on performing it (And please be honest).

Wavedashing is the easiest technique in Melee as I find. I flick the bottom edge of the X button and very shortly after hit R all the way. It's an easy pinching muscle memory

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Wavedashing is hard to learn and implement at first but it will become super easy after a couple months. I've heard the most technically efficient way to do it is to use R because it doesn't move your left hand which could mess up your angle, but it's a really small and unimportant detail. Personally I use Y and L because those are the buttons I've used since I was 8. Just go with whatever feels most natural to you and you'll get it eventually.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Wavedashing is hard to learn and implement at first but it will become super easy after a couple months. I've heard the most technically efficient way to do it is to use R because it doesn't move your left hand which could mess up your angle, but it's a really small and unimportant detail. Personally I use Y and L because those are the buttons I've used since I was 8. Just go with whatever feels most natural to you and you'll get it eventually.
Oh crap! That reminds me I forgot to add which shoulder buttons people will use. Hopefully people see this and answer that as well.

But yeah, used to different button combinations, I gotcha. I'm used to using mostly tap jump -> air dodge, and that probably is different than using the buttons to jump.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Some threads have asked people if they try to short hop while wavedashing. Personally I think that's extremely hard and unnecessary (as long as you don't mess up). I use full hops when I wavedash. Hold X > hold R (tap If I'm doing something right after) has been been my method for years.

pagedMov

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pagedMov
X and R but I should be using Y
It's so ingrained into my muscle memory that I don't think I could switch if I wanted to lol

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I use R+Y. I tried switching to L so I could WD OOS easier (without having to do the partial press thing that I couldn't get the hang of), but I couldn't do that either and gave up. Then a couple weeks later I tried the WD OoS w/ one button again and was magically able to do it easily. idk how not practicing it made me more proficient, but we take those.

cdb813

Smash Rookie
I guess I'm in the small minority who uses X and L. Infact I use L for all my tech moves. In my mind L is for tech , R is just to shield

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
I guess I'm in the small minority who uses X and L. Infact I use L for all my tech moves. In my mind L is for tech , R is just to shield
Well at least you press X to jump like everyone :)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Y-R. I've always used R for everything; if you had a broken L-trigger on your controller, I probably wouldn't notice unless I'm playing F-Zero or Assult.

The Toaster

Smash Rookie
Y → L fam

I only use one button for wavedash outta shield too, I tried using R but it felt so awkward to use the same hand for all the inputs

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Okay, so the current results I have is that the majority of the audience never use tap jump and use one of the 2 buttons to jump to wavedash. Probably should've expected as much (since you know, who the hell tap jumps? besides me). That's good to know. I'll especially take this into consideration:
Wavedashing is the easiest technique in Melee as I find. I flick the bottom edge of the X button and very shortly after hit R all the way. It's an easy pinching muscle memory

Top Bottom