• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Burntsocks's Zelda? O_o Please comment/critique

D

Deleted member

Hey. Im a yoshi main, but i decided to give zelda a shot last night, and im really liking her. Plus, playing zelda helps with my yoshi's spacing, since zelda is all spacing, and it sorta carries over for some reason :). Anyways, here are some vids of me vs hugglebunny's DK(dont be ranting about his DK, he was trying him out too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7sNHzMbPr8&feature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbtbQF5hLEY&feature=user
There are 3 matches in this vid.

Enjoy and please comment or critique. And please, HB just started DK, dont be hatin :lick:

Zone

Smash Champion
I'm gonna give Some General Advice on what you can practice on.

Movement
I noticed you could wave-dash, but can you do them quick and consistent and reverse directions on soonist frame possible? If not just practice that a bit more. Don't let anyone tell you wave-dashing with Zelda is useless. It helps me turn around, and space, and move around more freely.

Combining it with Dash dance is a must.
It could take a while to learn how to do both but this is the theory behind it from my point of view, assuming u know 100% how dash dancing works as well as wavedash.

1.) Quick Retreats, if you haven't started your dash too long, you can turn back and retreat w/o the turn around lag. Now since Zelda's Wavedash and dash dance are so freaking short this is how you combine them.

If you haven't ran long, Just dash dance to turn around. IF you have run too far of a distance and would like to reset it so you can quickly turn and do a move, and you see a move coming. Wave-dash out of ur long run. It'll reset ur running, and now u can do Dash-dance again immediately w/o having to stop moving.

Scenario A:
You fox trot away from marth one trot (One quick smack of the stick away from marth will make u travel just ur initial dash animation: Called Fox Trotting). Doing this will leave you the option to still dash dance back at him when the opening is clear, for a dash attack or something. Since you didn't have to run too far you can easily turn back and punish simply by charging back at him.

Scenario B:
Marth is coming at you fast so you simply sprint away from him. Since he's faster than you, he's gaining. Soon you'll be out of room to run, or he'll catch you first. IF you still have enough room, you can wave-dash toward him. Scare him to think u may be approaching, and he'll either shield or do a move. Regardless of what he does, After ur wave-dash back at him out of ur full run, your dash-dance is reset and you can start running left or right instantly w/o the turn around lag. So now you can after wavedashing at him, Retreat again to bait an attack, or Simply run at him with something if he's defensive.

Do you get the point?
Basically wave dash after you run to far for dash dance to work, so you can reset it, and it'll help your spacing and make ur zelda faster on the floor.

Much practice wave-landing off platforms, and on just the ground will also help in ur speed and mobility.

This method of combining Dash-dance and wave-dash works with anyone. Zelda just needs it more since her wave-dash is short as well as her dash dance.

I'm sure you know how to do retreating B-airs, for spacing. And being careful with throwing kicks at enemies.

Don't pay attention to the match, Just what i'm pointing out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyrtZSiku-k

@:27 Notice ganon trys to F-air me. I space it with a wave-land to the left. Why you should learn to waveland. Instead of punishing though, I panic'd and misjudged his f-air's length and shielded thinking My distance was not enough.

@1:57-1:59 I ran too far toward Ganon to Dash-dance back. So I wavedashed backwards to reset my dash dance option, but I'm still moving. Then I wave dash back after I dash dance away. Then a few seconds later, I combine them too fast for me to even see it in the video to explain it >.>;

SAme thing applys at 2:17-2:19. I ran too far to dash dance back for a hit. So I wave dashed.

The beautiful thing about this also is, You can do things out of dash dance with aerials faster than you can out of Wave-dash so resetting this option is very useful.

But you get the point that wave-dash alone and Dash-dance alone isn't great, but when combined can be a great moving tool.

D

Deleted member

Ty. I actually did do some of those quick retreats like u mentioned. I was having trouble WDing cuz zelda's is much different and she has a rly slow jump compared to yoshi. Ya i can do all the advanced techs, just hafta adjust to using them with zelda. I'll keep those WD combined with DD tips in mind next time i play.

Edit: Yes i had heard WDing is pointless w/ zelda.

Top Bottom