• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bulb Freaking Spike!!!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ok I totally ripped off the name from SasukeBowser's Bomb Freaking Spike. But anyway I'm going to throw an obvious tidbit that I have never seen out of all my time on these boards. Just in Training mode I was messing around and playing a Falcon on FD. When I knocked him off the stage with Ivy, he decided to recover where he starts out under FD's ledge and the slides on up to grab the ledge because of how well his recovery carries him. Anyway, I accidentally or instinctively made Ivy perform a D-air. I didn't a get a full spike but I got a reaction which is still good. Then I went to Lylat where the Bomb spike was founded and tested there and my tests were successful. I know it's a bit obvious, however I figured I'd speak up since it has never been said before and we might as well let people know incase they never thought of using D-air that way. So yeah, now we have a stage spike...Bulb spike (you get it XD) It can work on stages like Battlefield and Smashville however they wont have as high of a success rate as if you were to use it on flat stages like FD for obvious reasons that stages like Smashville, it's easier to grab the ledge because the slants on the stage naturally carry you up the the ledge to grab it.

Any thoughts?......besides for the last time I know it was kind of obvious.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
well practically any move with decent knock back can spike, but this is very risky as you will probably be tether hogged is you dont pull it off

T-block

B2B TST
I think Bomber means using a d-air while still on the stage? The hitbox is big enough to hit people who are hanging around just under the ledge on stages like Battlefield... I've only done it a couple of times though.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
hmm that seems odd
i know none of th e stun spore comes out if you start it too close to the ground, and almost every recovery gets invincibility frames before they even grab the ledge

T-block

B2B TST
The one time I remember it working was against a Falco on the right side of Battlefield. It can work if they're planning to return to the stage with a ledgehopped aerial.

Miles.

Smash Champion
It hits through the level.

No to be a grouch, but this is old.

Ivys dair is a great spike, and if it doesn't spike it stages spikes.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
It hits through the level.

No to be a grouch, but this is old.

Ivys dair is a great spike, and if it doesn't spike it stages spikes.
Like I said in the first post, I know it was obvious, I just wanted to throw it out there since I've never seen it posted before.

As for those who might be a bit confused as to the description of the bomb spike, here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwYOoENeaU

Just take that and use Dair instead.

Also Squirtle can do the same with his Dair at FD, just Dair away from the stage. It's risky I know so you don't have to say it, but it works if you got good Dair-DI control.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I still just Nair spike every time. I really hate Ivysaur's Dair as an attack in general. I can't seem to control how it sends the opponent. Unless I spike, I never know where they're going to go. Sometimes I even have the opponents go up up towards the top corner of the screen.

anax4aero

Smash Cadet
I've seen this used by Snake with the C4, never thought Ivy's Dair would have sufficient range for this.

Could it work on gliding characters that decide to glide under the stage?

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
I've seen this used by Snake with the C4, never thought Ivy's Dair would have sufficient range for this.

Does it matter what they're doing under there if it's not something that can block/dodge attacks?

Bomber7

Smash Hero

I suppose so. You would just have to seize the moment and do it. It's not a 100% guarantee.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Pretty unreliable, but man...killing MK like that on Lylat Cruise would be epic as hell.
Well even though it's not a 100% guarantee, it doesn't mean you can use it. The bomb spike is situational as it is too but it's still a legit AT to the TL's (not that I'm saying the Bulb Spike is an AT). I would say to use the bulb spike as a situational kill but when the situation came up, it would be very deadly and unexpected.

Top Bottom