• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Building a gaming PC... or trying to at least :P

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm a totally n00b when it comes to computers, I know pretty much nothing about building PCs. But I don't want to spend much more than $500 or $600. $700 or $800 being the max. I could really use some help. Also, what are some PC games worth getting? Thanks.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Okay cool thanks, but 2 questions, what the heck is a HDD, and whats a good OS for gaming, I've heard win XP is good.

Kal

Smash Champion
HDD is "hard disk drive," the thing that stores the actual data on your computer. As for an operating system, Windows XP or Windows 7 seem to be the way to go at the moment.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I guess it's kind of important. :p

And okay, I might get 7 because then I can play Halo 2 with no problems, either that or my cousin (who knows a lot about computers and has actually done this before :p) says windows 8 is pretty good, but I've heard it's not the best for gaming, or anything else. :p

Oh and how would I know if these parts would play Skyrim well? And what sound card should I get, I don't think there was one in that list.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
If you have more than 3gb of memory (The build suggested does) you want a 64bit operating system. Windows XP64 bit, Windows 7 bit, Vista 64bit, 8 64bit, etc. Its probably best you transition to 64bit as 3gb is not much anymore. Dual boot windows XP - Windows 7 would be a good option.

ASrock boards are garbage from what I remember. It's advertised for overclocking, but does it really do the job?

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
He's saying that you have at least 4 gbs of ram (which a a standard in most computers). It's best to aim for 8 gigs and above for high settings of detail.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Okay, and, as far as motherboards go, whats the difference? Does it matter what motherboard i get?

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I just bought an msi Z77A-G41 and it works pretty well, it's about $120. I actually got it for half of the sale price of $75 though xD ( I paid $37)

When buying a motherboard, just make sure you buy one with the right socket for your CPU.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
Okay but other than that does it matter? Could I just buy a really cheap one? Or would it be crap?

GofG

Smash Champion
it would have a ****ty bios menu, and if you ever had to boot into it it would be irritating
it would probably bluescreen more often

you don't need a soundcard, this isn't the 1980's bro, soundcards have come on motherboards for literally ever

don't get windows xp, it's ****ing 12 years old, it barely runs anything 2008+.

Here is the most up-to-date comprehensive guide to building a computer: http://tinyurl.com/falconguide

Browny

Smash Hater
What he said ^

Also dont forget peripherals... Theyre never included in the price

speakers/headphones, mouse, keyboard and of course, the monitor can easily increase the price way beyond your budget.

For the purposes of a gaming PC I'll say what I was told years ago. Considering 100% of the time you spend gaming, will be using a mouse and keyboard, dont be cheap on it. You could probably get a mouse+keyboard combo for $20 from a variety of brands, but quality DOES make a difference when gaming as it can and will be the difference between winning and losing encounters when your input devices arent very good.

You can save money on things like speakers and monitors as the expensive types arent THAT much better than the cheapest variants, and ultimately wont really help you in-game, the GPU power is more important. But things like the logitech gaming series of mice are extremely good for a decent price. Dont ever underestimate how useful the extra buttons are.

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
it would have a ****ty bios menu, and if you ever had to boot into it it would be irritating
it would probably bluescreen more often

you don't need a soundcard, this isn't the 1980's bro, soundcards have come on motherboards for literally ever

don't get windows xp, it's ****ing 12 years old, it barely runs anything 2008+.

Here is the most up-to-date comprehensive guide to building a computer: http://tinyurl.com/falconguide
Ok... whats a bios menu? :p

Okay.

So should I get Win 7? Or Win 8?

Okay cool thanks.

What he said ^

Also dont forget peripherals... Theyre never included in the price

speakers/headphones, mouse, keyboard and of course, the monitor can easily increase the price way beyond your budget.

For the purposes of a gaming PC I'll say what I was told years ago. Considering 100% of the time you spend gaming, will be using a mouse and keyboard, dont be cheap on it. You could probably get a mouse+keyboard combo for $20 from a variety of brands, but quality DOES make a difference when gaming as it can and will be the difference between winning and losing encounters when your input devices arent very good.

You can save money on things like speakers and monitors as the expensive types arent THAT much better than the cheapest variants, and ultimately wont really help you in-game, the GPU power is more important. But things like the logitech gaming series of mice are extremely good for a decent price. Dont ever underestimate how useful the extra buttons are.
Yeah I've been searching on gamestop for keyboards and speakers and stuff. I was thinking about getting this for keyboard and mouse: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/accessories/logitech-wireless-wave-combo-mk550/102453

and this for speakers: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/accessories/cyber-acoustics-multimedia-speaker-system/99470

and I'll prob not need a headset just yet so I'm putting that on hold, I prob wouldn't be doing a whole lot of online when i first get the computer,

and I have a monitor in my basement thats pretty good sized that I'll prob use.

Top Bottom