• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Building a computer, need advice/critique

Superstar

Smash Champion
Right now, I'm running TF2 with an extremely restricting FPS config on a Dell Inspiron 1525. Duo Core 2Ghz, 3GB RAM, and an Intel GMA x3100. That last part, the graphics card, cannot be upgraded, and since I'm pretty much using my laptop as a desktop replacement, I might as well build my own computer. However, the only source of cash I have is scholarship spillover, so I don't want anything high end, but rather the biggest bang for the buck here and in the future.

I've been asking for help, getting recommendations and all that, and this is the build I have so far: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?Source=MSWD&WishListNumber=8718345

Cases are hard to find that actually work well [reviews usually turn me off], so I went with a recommendation. However, it's a bit pricey and I don't need any flash. I don't want any flimsy crap, and I actually like the plain black towers, so, any recommendations?

I'm set with OSs. My university major means I have a copy of XP or Vista that I can use in the PC. I COULD install Linux too if I wanted, but I'm not interested until Wine is perfect. Keyboard, Monitor, Speakers, and Mouse I can get locally. there's a store with a HUGE amount of Monitors displaying, and I can just look around and pick the best one.

The price, however, kinda makes me twitch my eye. Any recommendations to bring it down, without losing performance?

Superstar

Smash Champion
Nearly infinite, actually. In a way, you CAN say there's no set number. However, this is scholarship money being used, so the less, the better. And if it's too high, chances are Mom will say no to it. Which means NOTHING over $1000 total spent, give or take, mostly take.

You can call me a miser, so 10 dollars here and there is good money, so long as I'm not losing power. I COULD downgrade to 9500 GT and save 40 bucks, but I'd rather the higher performance for games, especialyl since graphics cards are partially future proof.

Top Bottom