• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Buff Priority

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
Why didn’t my main receive buffs this patch? Is a question many players of underused characters ask. But, there are reasons why your character was overlooked, as it was only temporary. There were other characters who needed buffs more. A patch contains balance changes, but cannot make too many changes for fear of creating chaos. That’s why changes are measured and deliberate. Each character who is lacking in a few aspects should receive their turns depending on how lacking they are. This theory I call Buff Priority. This list I shall display explains which characters should be buffed next, on a scale of -1 to 5, with -1 meaning nerfs are needed. 0 means no buffs are necessary. The higher the number is, the more likely the character should show up in the upcoming patch with significant changes. This list aims to predict what Nintendo will buff next if they’re somewhat serious about balancing the game. Let’s begin from the top, of the characters who need buffs ASAP at level 5. The Priority Levels are unordered.

Priority Level 5
:ultlittlemac:(Used to be the only level 6 Prepatch):ultisabelle:

Priority Level 4
:ultrosalina::ultkirby:

Priority Level 3
:ultbayonetta::ultbowserjr::ultcorrinf::ultkrool::ultjigglypuff::ultbrawler: :ultpiranha:

Priority Level 2
:ultzelda::ultcharizard::ultridley::ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultrobin::ultgnw::ultgunner::ultvillager::ultryu::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultlucas::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultfalco::ultmiifighters::ultrobinf::ulticeclimbers::ultkingdedede::ultsheik:

Priority Level 1
:ulttoonlink::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultmetaknight::ultincineroar::ultganondorf::ultpacman:

Priority Level 0
:ultzss::ultyounglink::ultyoshi::ultwiifittrainer::ultwario::ultsonic:(Bug Fixes Only):ultivysaur::ultsquirtle::ultshulk::ultken::ultchrom::ultroy::ultrob::ultpichu::ultswordfighter::ultdaisy::ultpeach::ultpalutena::ultzss::ultmewtwo::ultmegaman::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultmario::ultness::ultolimar::ultlink::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultpokemontrainerf::ultfox::ultcloud::ultfalcon::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultjoker::ultbowser:

Priority Level -1
:ultsnake:(Nikita End-Lag, Dash Attack End-Lag):ultinkling:(Roller Safety on Shield):ultpikachu:(Tone Down lightning loops)

How accurate do you think this portrays which characters need buffs and how soon?

Last edited:

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
I think you should put this in the Ultimate Competitive Discussion forum. You'll get a lot more replies that way.

Anyways, I'm debating over whether Peach and Daisy should be Priority Level -1 or 0. I definitely would be saying -1 they should if this was pre-patch. It just seems so unfair that they can just bypass the short hop aerial multiplier of 0.85x that everyone else has to follow. But now I wonder if it's that necessary after the nerfs they got in the latest patch. If Peach/Daisy was a contender for best character(s?) in the game pre-patch it's not looking like that anymore.

Joker I'm also debating over being Level -1 or 0. If they do have to nerf him, they should just make the Rebellion Gauge fill up a bit slower somehow. Arsene himself can stay the way he is since he's designed to be this insane upgrade to Joker's kit. Tone him down too much and that kinda defeats his purpose

As for everyone else, I think you hit the nail on the head here for most of this. Mewtwo might be Priority Level 1 just for that tail hurtbox. But why is PAC-MAN so high? And where's Wolf and Ike?

EDIT: Joker doesn't need nerfs, at least right now. MkLeo is just a god who can make any character look broken no matter how good or bad that character may be.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a hard time believing Ganondorf is high in their buffing priorities, let alone the top! I hear he's used a lot online and in general. I doubt his results in even Elite Smash would be that terrible for them consider him a top priority.

I'm not entirely sure what the balancing team's view on Corrin is but I figure if you can put Lucas, Zelda, and Ridley there then Corrin Can probably as well.
I can see why Bayo and Bowser-Jr are placed where they are but those two a little uncertain for me. If Bayo's results are bad in Elite Smash and still have been even after her buffs then maybe they'd be brave enough to add a few more buffs?
Bowser-Jr I'm curious about as I'd think they are afraid of him being an incredibly annoying opponent to face against but I see him the same way as Bayo except Bowser-Jr has never had the history she has competitively.

Piranha Plant I'm totally unsure where they place him in priority but for now I'll say your probably right? I think if a lot of new people have gotten Smash Ultimate but maybe aren't buying him as DLC they may be even more tempted to give him huge buffs to entice sales while finally making him a viable threat competitively.

Overall cool topic and I'd say not bad guesses for buff/changes priority. I would remove at least one of the priority 'levels' though as it looks a little redundant with so many characters in level 2. You also have ZSS is level 2&0

Last edited:

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a hard time believing Ganondorf is high in their buffing priorities, let alone the top! I hear he's used a lot online and in general. I doubt his results in even Elite Smash would be that terrible for them consider him a top priority.

I'm not entirely sure what the balancing team's view on Corrin is but I figure if you can put Lucas, Zelda, and Ridley there then Corrin Can probably as well.
I can see why Bayo and Bowser-Jr are placed where they are but those two a little uncertain for me. If Bayo's results are bad in Elite Smash and still have been even after her buffs then maybe they'd be brave enough to add a few more buffs?
Bowser-Jr I'm curious about as I'd think they are afraid of him being an incredibly annoying opponent to face against but I see him the same way as Bayo except Bowser-Jr has never had the history she has competitively.

Piranha Plant I'm totally unsure where they place him in priority but for now I'll say your probably right? I think if a lot of new people have gotten Smash Ultimate but maybe aren't buying him as DLC they may be even more tempted to give him huge buffs to entice sales while finally making him a viable threat competitively.

Overall cool topic and I'd say not bad guesses for buff/changes priority. I would remove at least one of the priority 'levels' though as it looks a little redundant with so many characters in level 2. You also have ZSS is level 2&0
For Ganon, look who's alongside him. Priority Level 1 represents characters who have a small chance of getting small buffs. Corrin can't kill outside of U-air, Bair, and Up Throw, with U air being stale most of the time due to it being an amazing juggling tool. Corrin's smash attacks are very predictable, due to their poor frame data, F-Smash can catch lower level players who underestimate its range but that's about it. Up throw is a last ditch resort that you shouldn't have to rely on, but against good players you are often forced to. Finally, Corrin's recovery is terrible. Bayo and Bowser Jr could use the help, they definitely need it, the previous patch helped them out but they still need more. Piranha Plant is everyone's favorite joke, and he's DLC, so buffs seem very probable. We'll just have to wait for the Hero patch, which I hope the balance team is working hard on leveling the playing field.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
For Ganon, look who's alongside him. Priority Level 1 represents characters who have a small chance of getting small buffs. Corrin can't kill outside of U-air, Bair, and Up Throw, with U air being stale most of the time due to it being an amazing juggling tool. Corrin's smash attacks are very predictable, due to their poor frame data, F-Smash can catch lower level players who underestimate its range but that's about it. Up throw is a last ditch resort that you shouldn't have to rely on, but against good players you are often forced to. Finally, Corrin's recovery is terrible. Bayo and Bowser Jr could use the help, they definitely need it, the previous patch helped them out but they still need more. Piranha Plant is everyone's favorite joke, and he's DLC, so buffs seem very probable. We'll just have to wait for the Hero patch, which I hope the balance team is working hard on leveling the playing field.
Ohhhhhh, my bad, I actually completely misunderstood your tiering. :nervous: I thought 'Level 1' was the highest priority in buffing while the high numbers were less and less so.
In that case, I almost entirely agree once again :lol: but even more so this time.
With that in mind, I only have 1 specific character I really want to bring up.. Mewtwo, despite having had buffs might be in level 1. Especially if Mewtwo results in Elite Smash still haven't been great.
Though, I am curious about Meta Knight. I'm sure with Abandango having played him in Ultimate they've been watching that but more importantly I'm curious to know his results in Elite Smash. To me, he seems more like a level 2 priority but its hard to say.
On a similar note, I wonder if Toon Link is really on their radar? As the character has been played with relative success in Japan. Though maybe this could work in the character's favor if they don't think the character is getting enough success in general?

Top Bottom