• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BRSTM Volume Help

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
Hello. I've been trying to fix this issue with my BRSTM volume. I found a code made by Standardtoaster found here that can equalize the volume of BRSTMs when played in the game, but for some reason I haven't been able to get it to work. How do people create music packs where the music sounds perfectly fine? I mean, I could just make the music really loud for the slots that are really quiet, but from what I can tell making BRSTMs very loud destroys the quality of the audio. How do people make BRSTMs louder without destroying the audio? Also, for those of you who make BRSTMs, what audio software do you use to change the audio volume? I use Audacity, but it's pretty difficult for me to tell how loud a song is and whether or not I should increase or decrease the volume. Finally, what should I do about normalizing? Should I not use it at all?

P.S. Is it possible to get two different themes for the menu theme? For example, remember in Smash 64 when you started the game there was a certain theme for navigating the menu, but when you went to the character select screen it was a different theme? I want to emulate the same thing for this. I played with one of my friend's setup and he had this same thing with the menu. He just downloaded the pack from Smashboards though so he didn't know how to do it.

Last edited:

Kramwood

Smash Cadet
what brstm make do you use? I use brstm coverter 3.4.1 and you can choose the sound settings, and you can set it to loop too. To do more than one track at a time just use shift/control when selecting the songs. Also, unchecking "show SoX" Keeps the command prompt from showing.

http://www.lakora.us/brawl/brstm/

Yeah it's not as user friendly as brstm maker gui, but it's better to use IMO.

Last edited:

DeliciousOctorok

Smash Cadet
what brstm make do you use? I use brstm coverter 3.4.1 and you can choose the sound settings, and you can set it to loop too. To do more than one track at a time just use shift/control when selecting the songs. Also, unchecking "show SoX" Keeps the command prompt from showing.

http://www.lakora.us/brawl/brstm/

Yeah it's not as user friendly as brstm maker gui, but it's better to use IMO.
Oh I already use BRSTM converter. I've never tried doing more than one track at a time. How can I set one track to play during the main menu and the other to play during character select? Also, I know you can change the volume in BRSTM converter, but how can I know how much to increase the volume? Just keep testing the BRSTMs in the game? That seems tedious, and it's why I looked into changing the volume in the coding of the game. That way I could just set a benchmark for every song and have much less hassle trying to get the right volume.

Btw, does increasing the volume in BRSTM converter destroy the audio in any way?

EDIT: I tried the shift-click thing and it made two BRSTMs. This isn't what I was looking for. I was looking for a 64-esque theme.

EDIT: Actually I found out a really simple way of knowing how much to increase the volume. All it takes is simple math and looking at Standardtoaster's chart of song volumes. If I want everything to be at 80 volume, I set a benchmark for every song like I've done before, but now I divide 80 by the slot's volume and use that number in the "Factor of" slot. This makes music in "quiet" slots sound bad though because the volume increases just rip up the audio.

Last edited:

Kramwood

Smash Cadet
^ when I said you can do two songs at the same time, I didn't mean it would compile into one. The way I test out how brstm files sound is to play them with a program called winamp. You can actually play brstm files with that program. And increasing the volume in audio files will always hurt the quality if done incorrectly. Haven't had any issues with this program as of yet.

Another thing is to use this:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

you can normalize all of your mp3s to be at the same volume before you even do the conversion.

Top Bottom