• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bronze Sword might be the best thing to happen to Robin

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
With the weaker damage and knockback of the Bronze Sword, it could be able to make combos the Levin Sword wouldn't. Apparently Robin's switch to Levin sword is done with aerial smash attacks , so one could even land a combo with the BS that ends with a launcher, jump and draw the Levin Sword in a finisher.

Switching from bronze sword seems to be optional. I wonder if we can choose which blade to start the match with... and if the Bronze Sword can break? I mean, it's no Falchion, is it?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Robin is so cheap, why couldn't he at least afford a Silver Sword? :glare:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anna's prices cut deep. Immeasurably deep.

I'm excited for this moveset. It's going to be interesting and fun to play a character that's both physical and magical and balances elements of straightforward melee combat with tactical resource management.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I like the Bronze Sword because it just means that you can control the pace that Robin deals damage in your own way. You don't have to commit to using the Levin Sword at any one point, you can just keep whacking people with the Bronze Sword if you want to and keep them guessing for when you're actually going to pull it out in the air for the kill.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah it does play well into the tactical play that Robin seems to have, and as OP points out, it might allow for certain combos and follow ups that the stronger Levin sword would make impossible.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Yeah it does play well into the tactical play that Robin seems to have, and as OP points out, it might allow for certain combos and follow ups that the stronger Levin sword would make impossible.
Yeah, the Levin Sword is likely used for finishers. Or, at least, that was likely its intended use.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
You mean. Robin is too stylish for a Silver Sword. No, seriously, i love the iconic shape of the Bronze Sword. Silver Sword is so.... so generic. Also Bronze Sword emphasizes the difference in strength between "normal" sword an Levin Sword better.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I dunno. Robin is based heavily on zoning. Sure, it's an emergency alternative when your tomes are recharging, but I don't logically see any Robin player who plays normally to be rushing in and risking his stock by doing combos when chip damage can be racked up through spells and using the Levin Sword as a finisher if they do get close.

But maybe that's just me and my zoning wired brain talking.

Zephil

Smash Ace
The iconic sword its definitely the Iron Sword.

Always better than the heavy Steel Swords and always cheap and easy to get.

Robin should have saved a little more gold...

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I never actually realised how swell-looking the Bronzie actually is. Good show, Robin gurl~ <3

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Dat sexy bronze sword tho

unbreakable and endlessly useful.

best weapon 2014 <3

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It quite adds a neat layer to get started from to use Robin's base attacks and powers before using his main powerful tools for killing. Can't wait to try how well Bronze Sword can lend for comboing in low percents.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
one interesting thing is the psychological effects of the weapons.

bring the levin sword, and people might be more wary of going in, putting them into a better situation for your projectiles... bring the bronze sword, and you can make them forget it's still a decently dangerous tool

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
from exp i never want to be that close to anyone, because i struggle getting back safely to the stage as robin for some reason, dunno if its just me. Levin just means its easier to get them away and go back to setting up for that delicious trapped in arcfire + thoron combo.

Blueman12

Smash Rookie
NNID
Blue15324
3DS FC
1564-3456-9986
His nair is the only aerial thats bronze sword exclusive. All hail the nair.

plus the second strike of it hits behind him, allowing for some dirty mixup ideas or if well spaced enough/shielded, a land --> pivot grab or something like that.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Does anyone know any good reasons to use Bronze Sword moves (aside from Nair) when you're free to use Levin ones instead? I've been combing the net for any information about it but as far as I've found, no one has found any strategies, tips, or combos that use the Bronze Sword exclusively. Anyone find anything?

ChaosArgate

Smash Rookie
I don't have any reason to use the Bronze Sword other than its speed if I need to get someone out of my face or something.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Does anyone know any good reasons to use Bronze Sword moves (aside from Nair) when you're free to use Levin ones instead? I've been combing the net for any information about it but as far as I've found, no one has found any strategies, tips, or combos that use the Bronze Sword exclusively. Anyone find anything?
Simple; the Bronze Sword doesn't have as much knockback as the Levin Sword does. I know that sounds like a disadvantage at first, but the lower knockback actually allows for more potential combos and has the added benefit of not sending the opponent that far away. For example, hitting an opponent with a Levin Sword F-Air will send them flying diagonally upwards; it has good knockback, but if it doesn't kill (which can be somewhat difficult due to just how far the blast line is at that angle), the opponent is so high up that their recovery is practically guaranteed. Using the Bronze Sword doesn't send them up so far, and if you happen to chain a few of them together, you can gimp the opponent's recovery. After all, you don't necessarily need to send the opponent flying to kill them.

In most cases, it's preferable to use the Levin Sword due to its increased damage output, knockback, and other side effects, but the Bronze Sword has its own set of uses. Knowing how to effectively use both is crucial to mastering Robin.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
What you have said, False Sense, I do know, and is general common sense where the Bronze Sword is concerned; however my knowledge about specific situations where the Bronze Sword is preferable is what I was referring to. Its mastery is surely necessary, but I do not know where to begin, in a practical sense.

For instance, your anecdote about repeated bronze fairs; is this actually a technique you have used? Or just theory you could see being useful? Do you want to use it against characters with worse priority for air attacks than you? Are there characters where using the Bronze would be dangerous due to its lack of reach? Do the bronze upair, bair, and dair have any application? Against whom, how, chained to what attack or throw in which situation? I suppose I should have been more specific in my questioning, but answers such as these are the knowledge I seek.

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
I'm in agreement with Zareidriel, I have yet to see a time when a bronze sword aerial hit actually lead to another guaranteed hit as compared to the Levin Sword version. (even on combo food like Bowser, the best I've gotten was bronze->Levin at low percents)

We can say in theory bronze can lead to combos, but it would be nice to note which are true and which are follow ups.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I like the Bronze Sword because it just means that you can control the pace that Robin deals damage in your own way. You don't have to commit to using the Levin Sword at any one point, you can just keep whacking people with the Bronze Sword if you want to and keep them guessing for when you're actually going to pull it out in the air for the kill.
INCREDIBLE! AMAZING! YESYESYESYES! I CAN WIN! I FEEL GREAT! I! CAN! DO! THIS !!!!

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I wish they would've given him a Silver Sword or even a Brave Sword instead.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Oh thank God, I had dropped Robin because I thought I was 'doing it wrong' using the bronze sword more often than most. Now that I know it's a feasible tactic, I'ma return to Robin and see what happens!

1FC0

Smash Lord
If getting weaker versions of Robins attacks with worse hitboxes is the best thing to happen to him then Nolimar must be broken.

b0kken

Smash Rookie
Nair offstage is such a good option with him, also, his dtilt is incredibly good due to IASA :D

Top Bottom