• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brinstar...

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I've heard Ganon has some broken top plat-control strat here. How does it work in detail? Other tips for this stage now that it has become one of the very few MBR counterpicks?

While someone is at it, what is they key to wavelanding from the ledge with this guy?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Well I'm not going to act like I'm an expert on Brinstar, because I'm not. I know Kage likes that stage so hopefully he'll give you some advice. I'd imagine that you'd usually want to stay near the center of the stage (as long as it's safe) and space attacks to keep your opponents offstage/at bay.

As for the ledge dash, the key is being able to jump IMMEDIATELY after you drop from the ledge. This will give you the height you need to be on top of the stage by the time you hit R (or L). There are basically 2 main methods used for the ledge dash: using down to drop and X (or Y) to jump, and using c-away to drop and up on the control stick to jump. After you dj onto the stage, just before you land, you want to hold the control stick completely horizontal and hit R (so if you're on the left ledge, you'd hold right). This way your ledge dash will be just as long as a perfect waveland.

Personally, I use down and X and have no problems, but I believe that my method leaves less room for error in your timing when compared to using the c-stick to drop from the ledge (simply because you will never fastfall using the c-stick). Thus, many players (Thomas Tipman included) prefer to use the c-stick to drop from the ledge.

Regardless of what method you choose, try to get used to DI'ing toward the stage as soon as you jump, just like when you ledgehop onto the stage. By DI'ing onto the stage during your double jump, you can get more distance out of your waveland and be able to angle your waveland for less distance when desired (very situational), as well as develop a good habit that is necessary for doing a reverse ledge dash (RLD).

For a RLD, you have to drop from the ledge, jump immediately, and as soon as you jump (or before, if you're using X or Y to jump) DI toward the stage for a split second, then snap back away from the stage and hit R. From a RLD you can bair/uair/dair (and still make it back), dj fair/dair/waveland onto the stage, dj bair/uair/dair offstage (when you are confident that you will hit your opponent) and up-b back, or just regrab the ledge as a mindgame and go from there. RLD's require some speed and good timing, it'll definitely take some practice.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
...i never really thought about having that many options from an RLD. whenever i do one, i just do it just to be able to do it and feel like i have fast fingers. now i'm actually going to try to use it if i don't have time. (if i do have time i'll just ledgeslide for a similar effect)

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Well I'm nowhere good but this advice has been most helpful. Kinda trying to get back into Melee after about a year of not playing it. The wavelanding from the ledge is so much fun once you get used to it. It's like Christmas. hm not that long ago but yeah like Christmas.

BTW I watch a match of Kage on Brinstar, while he didn't win I only saw him use the lava as a tool to make spacies die easy and as a recovery mech. I don't know much else. 'Is the Forward+B supposed to be useful here somehow?

Dart

Smash Lord
i believe the secret to ganon is he can recover super easy with lava, its bigger than you think, he combos off the lava like its his job, he's got sick mindgames with the weird shape floors

btw wavelanding off and on to the top platform is the ultimate secret i would think. im no kage but thats my two bits.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
ugh RLD is giving me a head ache. I've pretty much had to give up on it. But thanks to working on it I've gotten the LD down and my WL is much better. Nothing like the ridiculous stuff I've seen from Ace and Renth, but decent.

Top Bottom