• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brickwalls and Traps Discussion

Hence

Smash Ace
If you haven't already, I would highly reccomend you read this thread by Emblem Lord: Brickwalls and Traps: The keys to victory

Did you read it? Good.

Now for the discussion part: I want to find new and creative ways of applying this idea to Zero Suit Samus' style of play. To start it off, here is an example of a Zoning Brickwall:

Plasma Whip. (: Use the range of this move to keep your opponents at bay. Short hopped appropriately, you can retreat and reset to neutral against most characters. With this, now your opponent must figure out a way to get close to you. A few possible scenarios:

-They can run up and shield your Plasma Whip, attempting to punish you afterwards. This is where you can start retreating your Plasma Whips to maintain your spacing. If they try to rush you, you have the option to spotdodge/flip jump or use ZSS' jabs/utilt to intercept. Proper spacing and buffering are often necessary for best results. If they shield and decide not to rush, then they're back right where they started. If they get hit...hooray for you.

-They can jump over and attempt to attack from above. Take note of if they use their double jump or not, as it will limit their options greatly if they do. Now that you have your opponent above you, you can stop using Plasma Whips and react accordingly to your opponent. You can shield and punish if they come in with an attack. If they have no jumps and are forced to land near you, punish their landing vulnerability with a grab or attack.

Basically, you are forcing your opponent to react in the way that you want them to. If you are able to know how your opponent will react to this situation, you can get them where you want them to be and you can be ready to punish them for it.

The downside to this, unfortunately, is if your opponent has a decent projectile game. They can zone you out just as well in this case.

This is an example to get things started. I'm hoping for more ideas to further expand this discussion.

What brickwalls and traps do you find useful? Can you guys think of any other effective setups?

noradseven

Smash Lord
Jump slighty in front of them doing f-air you have no idea, how badly this shuts down alot of characters, game, of course you move forward then back to prevent ground punish. The mixup obviously is will you move forward/back, and will you fast fall the second hit of f-air is really good, and has a nice hit box a decent frame time.

Zero

Smash Hero
Charging a paralyser and dashing forward for a grab/charging a downsmash/dtilt/uair/fair/bair could be effective.

Works against everyone you can outcamp.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Ya paralizer could be considered a brick wall or a trap depending on if you're using it defensively or offensively.

The problem with trying to trap them with neutral b is that it can be canceled by a lot of attacks, and youll get hit by the same attack if you rush in expecting to punish. However, most people don't know this, and even if they did you'd have to be very fast to react to it on sight.

Edit: I was just reading this yesterday night actually, interesting you bring it up.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Charging a paralyser and dashing forward for a grab/charging a downsmash/dtilt/uair/fair/bair could be effective.

Works against everyone you can outcamp.
PS's really gank me whenever I try this, but it works well outside of casuals.

Zero

Smash Hero
But if they PS, you can either charge a downsmash to punish their spotdodge or grab, abusing your massive range to grab them out of an attempt to attack. Of course, if they're more likely to take to the air (Falco) then a jump to aerial would be better.

OK, Falco was a bad example as he has plenty of tools to deal with aforementioned brickwall (reflector and laser) but the point remains.

noradseven

Smash Lord
But if they PS, you can either charge a downsmash to punish their spotdodge or grab, abusing your massive range to grab them out of an attempt to attack. Of course, if they're more likely to take to the air (Falco) then a jump to aerial would be better.

OK, Falco was a bad example as he has plenty of tools to deal with aforementioned brickwall (reflector and laser) but the point remains.
Lolimar and MK are common fights for me :( as well, and its the same problem.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
the problem is ZSS doesn't rely on these tactics like some characters do. Brickwalls and traps apply to brawl in general because there aren't many combos. ZSS is weird though, she does have combos, but doesn't really have the moves to brickwall and trap as well as others do.

lil cj

Smash Lord
Ive had trouble creating a brickwall with ZSS
I was going against my friend's DK and somehow
he knew when my plasma whip was coming
and got through it everytime.
I was even retreating when I did the side b's:(

Zero

Smash Hero
When that jappens, you can try to shut down their approach with dsmash, regular ground attacks or a well timed dashgrab. All scenarios put you at an advantage and if you miss with anythin bar grab, spaced well, you shouldbe safe. It doesn't really reset well, so it's not a very good trap, but it can certainly be an effective brickwall to the slower-minded.

noradseven

Smash Lord
the problem is ZSS doesn't rely on these tactics like some characters do. Brickwalls and traps apply to brawl in general because there aren't many combos. ZSS is weird though, she does have combos, but doesn't really have the moves to brickwall and trap as well as others do.
ZSS is a ****, wall ask the people I play with alot, between fast fall n-air, b-air,f-air, over B, d-smash, d-tilt, you can stand at 2-3 sheild ranges and shut them down.

Hence

Smash Ace
ZS Sammy used a very interesting tactic in a match against me a few days ago. When you're directly below your opponent who is on a platform, U-Smash can work as a simple trap. U-Smash covers 3/4 of BF's platforms, if used next to the opponent, it limits their option to jump. If they react by dropping through the platform, you get a free D-Smash. If the opponent walks off to grab the ledge you get a free edge guard. U-Smash also pokes the opponent's feet really well.

The attack when used from below a standing opponent is safe and can setup.
Possible non-character specific situations:
No Action > U-Smash/U-Air/Plasma Wire
Double Jump > U-Smash/U-Air/Plasma Wire
Shield > U-Air/U-Smash/Plasma Wire (Depending on their reaction time.)
Airdodge/Spotdodge > U-Smash
SDI > D-Smash/Jab/Shield/U-Air (Depending on how early they SDI, where they SDI, and how they react after SDI.)

U-Smash isn't too useful, but I guess it does indeed have its place for mindgames and traps, at least. U-Smash topkills at reliable percentages as well, approximately 160% from what I've experienced.

Top Bottom