• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the rolling habit

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I seem to have a habit of rolling to get into offensive position and over-relying on rolling defensively.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to have had this problem--does anyone have any methods they used to break this habit? I guess it all comes down just not rolling but it seems like that's a bit harder a

Can anyone also explain how to get proper spacing offensively without utilizing the inefficient roll? Dashing? And what about the dash lag?

What are the pros and cons of rolling, if any besides the basic dodge?

A_Kae

Smash Ace
I seem to have a habit of rolling to get into offensive position and over-relying on rolling defensively.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to have had this problem--does anyone have any methods they used to break this habit? I guess it all comes down just not rolling but it seems like that's a bit harder a

Can anyone also explain how to get proper spacing offensively without utilizing the inefficient roll? Dashing? And what about the dash lag?

What are the pros and cons of rolling, if any besides the basic dodge?
You aren't the first, and you won't be the last. Bad rolling, (and that's bad rolling, it has its uses) is a major plague that affects far too many smashers.

Just changing the controls so that you don't have a shield button works for some people.

Alternatively, just don't input rolls. Focus on not pressing left or right at the same time as shield.

Walk, jump. There's more to movement than just dashing and rolling.

As for pros and cons

Pro
  • Movement during invincibility
Con
  • Movement during invincibility
Sometimes you want to move, sometimes you don't. That's really it as for pros and cons.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I read somewhere that one way to break the habit of rolling is to change your shield button. That way, you'll be forced to substitute with other things.
(nvm, someone already said it)

For pros and cons:
Rolling is pretty good when used unpredictably -- it can get you behind the opponent, and other things like that. There's also this, though maybe it's a bit unrelated.

When used predictably, it's punishable. I'm not really sure about anything other than that.

Last edited:

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Best way I found to get out of the habit was to play someone far better than you that will follow your rolls and punish you hard. If you aren't getting punished for doing it habitually, then you probably aren't gonna stop.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Best way I found to get out of the habit was to play someone far better than you that will follow your rolls and punish you hard. If you aren't getting punished for doing it habitually, then you probably aren't gonna stop.
That's good, but it's not always that obvious why a roll was bad. Yes, if you're getting f-smashed when you roll, then you can say that it was a bad roll, but it's not always that simple.

Rolling changes your position. This can be good or bad (as I noted in my post) depending on the situation, and what happens after the roll.

I can talk more about this if necessary. That's just the TL;DR version.

Raijinken

Smash Master
My brother had the same issue until I started punishing him hard enough for him to think all dodging (air, grounded point, and rolling) is bad and suicidal. Which it is, against an opponent who can properly punish.

In other words, find someone who will punish you for it. Then get punished until you stop.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
That's good, but it's not always that obvious why a roll was bad. Yes, if you're getting f-smashed when you roll, then you can say that it was a bad roll, but it's not always that simple.

Rolling changes your position. This can be good or bad (as I noted in my post) depending on the situation, and what happens after the roll.

I can talk more about this if necessary. That's just the TL;DR version.
Could you? How could I use positioning more effectively? I've been starting to minimize my rolls today and of course the results are going to start badly but I feel like I'm just never really moving and therefore always on the defensive. Dashing with Pit is especially eh because of the dash lag and I feel like I'm getting grabbed much more now that I'm walking and running away instead of rolling out of the way

Last edited:

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
think about rolling as choosing any other attack of option when you roll you should be thinking i should roll here instead of OMG PRESSURE GOTTA ROLL AWAY

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Could you? How could I use positioning more effectively? I've been starting to minimize my rolls today and of course the results are going to start badly but I feel like I'm just never really moving and therefore always on the defensive. Dashing with Pit is especially eh because of the dash lag and I feel like I'm getting grabbed much more now that I'm walking and running away instead of rolling out of the way
So first thing to know is what movement options you have: Walk, Dash, Run, Jump, Roll.

I'm just going to go over what each of the movement options are here. I'll mainly talk about walking and rolling.

When walking, you have all of your options available to you. You can attack, (Jab, Tilt, Smash, Special). You can defend, (Shield, Spotdodge, Roll). Or you can transition into any other movement without lag. You can also stop without sliding like you do with running.

A downside to walking is that it's slow. How slow depends on the character, (see here) but walking is slower than dashing in all cases.

In short, walking is a zero commitment movement. It's just as good as standing still, so it's very dangerous to an opponent.

Walking is good when you care more about having options open than pure speed. Generally, I would say to walk unless chasing after an opponent, whether that's after a hit, or just trying to close distance. When you're close to your opponent is when you want to be walking, since that's when speed matters less, and having options matters more.
First thing is that dashing and running are different. Dashing is the beginning of the movement, run is everything after. Go in to training mode with either Marth or Captain Falcon. Quickly tap the analog stick in one direction, and release as soon as possible. Note that this distance, (assuming that you did it right) is not changeable. Each character has a certain minimum distance that they will move when dashing. Marth and C. Falcon move the farthest, so it's easiest to demonstrate. Most characters don't move very far, check out your character of choice.

With that out of the way...

Dashing removes some options. You can use a Dash Attack, but no other normals. You can use specials. And you can jump. During a dash, you cannot use any defensive options.

It's faster than walking, (see here) how much depends on character.

At the end of a dash, there is significantly less lag than with running.

Dashing is less of a movement option and more of something to be aware of. Knowing that dashing is different from running is important. See the Fox-Trot section for how dashing can be used.
Running is similar to dashing. You can only dash attack and use specials for attacks, but you can utilize defensive options when running, and can still jump.

When stopping a run, you take some lag while your character skids a bit. During this animation, no actions can be taken. Because of this, running isn't very good for movement close to an opponent.
Jumping is very different from the other movement options in that you can move while taking an action. (See here) for air speed values.

While in the air, you can use any aerial attack, any special, or airdodge. You can move while using any of these.
Rolling sounds great, right? Invincibility while moving?

Wrong.

Rolling is terrible as a movement. You can't change how far you actually move, and it's slower than other movement options. You can't do anything during the roll. It's predictable, and rolling at a bad time can get you punished badly. There's vulnerability at the end of roll, after you stop moving. This is a great time to get. I'm sure we've all gotten hit by a smash attack on some point at the end of a roll. Don't think of rolling as a movement option, but rather a dodge that moves you.

But's it's not always that obvious why rolling isn't a good idea.

Positioning, or spacing, is massively important in smash. Changing your position can be advantageous, or it can be disadvantageous. Depends on the situation

So let's say we're on FD, I'm playing Marth, and you're playing Fox. Let's say we're both at about the center of the stage. I want to try to push you back towards the ledge. Marth doesn't have any way of fighting at long range, due to a lack of a projectile, so I want to be as close to you, and I don't want you to be able to run away. So I try to push you back however I can. If you roll backwards, towards the ledge, you've made my job that much easier. Fox has a hard time fighting Marth up close. Marth has range over Fox, and that range isn't a hurtbox. Fox is the opposite. So in this situation, if I get you to the ledge, I've got a huge advantage. All because you rolled.

There are times to roll. In the situation I described, it would be better to either shield or spotdodge, because you don't want to change position. Rolling either way would move you closer to a ledge, and that's way better for me than you. But if we were already close to one edge, then rolling away from the edge would be a good roll. You're putting space between you and the edge.

I chose a bit of an extreme example, but you've got to be thinking of position at all times. Before rolling, think. Do you want to be moving? And if so, which way? That's what it comes down to. Rolling isn't the be all, end all dodge, it's a dodge that has certain times where it's good, and certain times where it's very, very bad.
Fox-Troting is repeatedly dashing by rapidly tapping the analog stick in one direction. In this way, you never enter a run, and only dash. Because dashing has much less recovery time when you finish compared to running, you can use this to quickly close space without committing too much. However, because each dash is a fixed length, its got some limitations.

I kind of lost focus here and just typed up a bunch of thoughts on movements, so I'll try to answer your question more directly now.

So, how can you use positioning more effectively?

It's going to take time to get used to using non roll movement. That's the first thing I should say. Don't be discouraged if you start doing worse when you try to roll less. You're totally changing how you do stuff, it'll take some time to get used to using more movement options.

Remember your other defensive options, and know that rolling isn't bad, bad rolling is bad. It's hard to know what's the best choice at a given time, I know, just try out different stuff to see what works best. You can also post replays of your matches, I'm sure someone can help tell you more if they could see some of your matches. If you're getting grabbed, try spotdodging.

Edit: The post just above this is absolutely correct. It's not quite worded how I would have it, but correct.

Copied here because why not.
think about rolling as choosing any other attack of option when you roll you should be thinking i should roll here instead of OMG PRESSURE GOTTA ROLL AWAY
Edit 2: I should mention that this was all written on and off over several hours, so if there's anything that doesn't make sense, that's probably why.

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
So first thing to know is what movement options you have: Walk, Dash, Run, Jump, Roll.

I'm just going to go over what each of the movement options are here. I'll mainly talk about walking and rolling.

When walking, you have all of your options available to you. You can attack, (Jab, Tilt, Smash, Special). You can defend, (Shield, Spotdodge, Roll). Or you can transition into any other movement without lag. You can also stop without sliding like you do with running.

A downside to walking is that it's slow. How slow depends on the character, (see here) but walking is slower than dashing in all cases.

In short, walking is a zero commitment movement. It's just as good as standing still, so it's very dangerous to an opponent.

Walking is good when you care more about having options open than pure speed. Generally, I would say to walk unless chasing after an opponent, whether that's after a hit, or just trying to close distance. When you're close to your opponent is when you want to be walking, since that's when speed matters less, and having options matters more.
First thing is that dashing and running are different. Dashing is the beginning of the movement, run is everything after. Go in to training mode with either Marth or Captain Falcon. Quickly tap the analog stick in one direction, and release as soon as possible. Note that this distance, (assuming that you did it right) is not changeable. Each character has a certain minimum distance that they will move when dashing. Marth and C. Falcon move the farthest, so it's easiest to demonstrate. Most characters don't move very far, check out your character of choice.

Dashing removes some options. You can use a Dash Attack, but no other normals. You can use specials. And you can jump. During a dash, you cannot use any defensive options.

Dashing is less of a movement option and more of something to be aware of. Knowing that dashing is different from running is important. See the Fox-Trot section for how dashing can be used.
Running is similar to dashing. You can only dash attack and use specials for attacks, but you can utilize defensive options when running, and can still jump.

When stopping a run, you take some lag while your character skids a bit. During this animation, no actions can be taken. Because of this, running isn't very good for movement close to an opponent.
Jumping is very different from the other movement options in that you can move while taking an action. (See here) for air speed values.

While in the air, you can use any aerial attack, any special, or airdodge. You can move while using any of these.

Wrong.

Rolling is terrible as a movement. You can't change how far you actually move, and it's slower than other movement options. You can't do anything during the roll. It's predictable, and rolling at a bad time can get you punished badly. There's vulnerability at the end of roll, after you stop moving. This is a great time to get. I'm sure we've all gotten hit by a smash attack on some point at the end of a roll. Don't think of rolling as a movement option, but rather a dodge that moves you.

Positioning, or spacing, is massively important in smash. Changing your position can be advantageous, or it can be disadvantageous. Depends on the situation

So let's say we're on FD, I'm playing Marth, and you're playing Fox. Let's say we're both at about the center of the stage. I want to try to push you back towards the ledge. Marth doesn't have any way of fighting at long range, due to a lack of a projectile, so I want to be as close to you, and I don't want you to be able to run away. So I try to push you back however I can. If you roll backwards, towards the ledge, you've made my job that much easier. Fox has a hard time fighting Marth up close. Marth has range over Fox, and that range isn't a hurtbox. Fox is the opposite. So in this situation, if I get you to the ledge, I've got a huge advantage. All because you rolled.

There are times to roll. In the situation I described, it would be better to either shield or spotdodge, because you don't want to change position. Rolling either way would move you closer to a ledge, and that's way better for me than you. But if we were already close to one edge, then rolling away from the edge would be a good roll. You're putting space between you and the edge.

I chose a bit of an extreme example, but you've got to be thinking of position at all times. Before rolling, think. Do you want to be moving? And if so, which way? That's what it comes down to. Rolling isn't the be all, end all dodge, it's a dodge that has certain times where it's good, and certain times where it's very, very bad.
Fox-Troting is repeatedly dashing by rapidly tapping the analog stick in one direction. In this way, you never enter a run, and only dash. Because dashing has much less recovery time when you finish compared to running, you can use this to quickly close space without committing too much. However, because each dash is a fixed length, its got some limitations.

I kind of lost focus here and just typed up a bunch of thoughts on movements, so I'll try to answer your question more directly now.

It's going to take time to get used to using non roll movement. That's the first thing I should say. Don't be discouraged if you start doing worse when you try to roll less. You're totally changing how you do stuff, it'll take some time to get used to using more movement options.

Remember your other defensive options, and know that rolling isn't bad, bad rolling is bad. It's hard to know what's the best choice at a given time, I know, just try out different stuff to see what works best. You can also post replays of your matches, I'm sure someone can help tell you more if they could see some of your matches. If you're getting grabbed, try spotdodging.

Edit: The post just above this is absolutely correct. It's not quite worded how I would have it, but correct.

Edit 2: I should mention that this was all written on and off over several hours, so if there's anything that doesn't make sense, that's probably why.
This is very useful and yes, easy to understand. I appreciate this guide. Gonna study it and test out all movement options individually. It seems like people most often use jumping and shield dashing to approach.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
I still roll more than I should, but I found out that high level Falcon CPU spams Falcon Kick most of the time, so I went into training and just avoided Falcon Kicks for an hour or two without rolling. Didn't break the habit completely, but now I think about my options and usually go for perfect shields or spot dodges when I'm in trouble. Hope it helps.

PokÉmblem

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wolfvdc
3DS FC
4553-9960-0926
Playing a character with a bad roll seems like a good way to do it less. I still have this habit too, but being punished makes you stop a little. Roll but not too much since rolls is definitely a part of the meta, try spot dodging more too or jumping if that's not enough.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You know what's gonna help you more than anything - besides A_Kae's post? Learning to be patient.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
You know what's gonna help you more than anything - besides A_Kae's post? Learning to be patient.
Totally agree with you.

Patience is extremely important in smash, and fighting games in general.

Rushing in to things will get you destroyed fast against someone who know what they're doing. I speak from experience here.

Last edited:

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
Dunno how much this will help, but for me these things helped me to identify where and why I rolled so much, and break the habit quite a bit.

First, try to record as many replays as you can and count each time you roll, and ask yourself "why did I roll there?" Don't stress too much if you can't answer every single time, but keep note of how often you can't - that's usually a sign that there was a better option or it was done in a panic.

Personally, when I realized how excessive my rolls where, I started an anti-roll exercise:

I'd play against a CPU opponent, and literally count up every time I rolled. Once I hit a certain number (in my case, 3), I suicided to end the match. It's a bit of a weird exercise but it made me more honest with myself, and having to use rolls like a commodity made me think more about when to actually use them, as well as other options I could be using in their place.

If you have access to a good player that can help out, that will also help as they can help explain when or when not to roll during or after each match, while its "fresh" (this is another resource I've been using, my scene locally is awesome on the help-outs... Er, teaching). Or hey, even if it's just a decent player that can help you train and do the whole "count my rolls" exercise, it could be very helpful. (Side note: I used the CPU because I always did this training late at night after work... So yeah not a lot of people up lol.)

But yah', figured I'd share that. The info A_kae posted already really covers it it extremely well (I'm still learning smash as well, so it was a helpful read for me too). And while I've gotten far better about choosing when to roll, I still have my "well that was a dumb roll" moments lol.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
The best advice I can give that no one else has really given is this:

Practice dashing away from your opponent. If you dash/run away from an opponent's attack, you're in complete control. You cannot be punish for running away (most of the time). If you foxtrot cancel/dash pivot dance* you can get right back in the action after avoiding someone's attack by running.

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppw-igC6Uog

Best example of what I'm talking about is at 1:20 in the video

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
It seems like rolling is to sm4sh what jumping is to Street Fighter, a strong but risky option that weak/medium skilled player tend to overrely on as they can abuse it on opponent of similar skill level since they don't have the capability to react properly to it.

And as in Street Fighter, the simplest way to get rid of constant and systematic rolling (or any bad habit actually) is to simply stop using it completely for a long period of time and exploring other options to approach/defend/mixup/whatever the game has to offer to see how good they are. And that's only after you became good at using all those options and evaluating their value that you can allow yourself to try out rolling again and insert it properly to your gameplan.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
It seems like rolling is to sm4sh what jumping is to Street Fighter, a strong but risky option that weak/medium skilled player tend to overrely on as they can abuse it on opponent of similar skill level since they don't have the capability to react properly to it.

And as in Street Fighter, the simplest way to get rid of constant and systematic rolling (or any bad habit actually) is to simply stop using it completely for a long period of time and exploring other options to approach/defend/mixup/whatever the game has to offer to see how good they are. And that's only after you became good at using all those options and evaluating their value that you can allow yourself to try out rolling again and insert it properly to your gameplan.
Yes. Yes, that's it exactly.

I'm not sure that I totally agree with completely dropping rolling for a long time, though. It might work for some people, but for me, I found that just paying attention to when I was rolling, and really thinking about what I was doing helped more. I'm not saying it's bad idea, just that it's maybe not the best idea.

You've just got to know what you can do, and when you should do it. That's all there ever is. Whatever gets you to that is the best method.

Last edited:

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
Yeah the optimal way to proceed would probably be to pay attention, watch replay and take notes but just getting rid of something is way easier haha!
I was just paraphrasing the good old adage from the FGC "don't jump" actually ^^

Last edited:

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I also have a tendency of constantly rolling as a defensive mechanic. Then again, I always tend to be the one that always takes the offensive too while I got retaliated pretty easily. I'll try to change my play style and play it more patiently. I'll try to be more conscious about my rolls though.

Elfamis

Smash Rookie
NNID
elfamis
First of all, and the most important thing, is to acknowledge the problem.
Second, look for ways to resolve the problem.
Third, apply the most convenient methods for you.
Fourth, reevaluate your habits.

I recognize that I have the same problem, some friend noted that. Watching my replays I LOL at myself for the unnecessary and easily punishable rolls, so since that I'm doing it less but still need to get better.

Another thing is the fear roll habit. Many smashers use the pressure to force you to roll and get you. I have been that victim :D

Practice, and practice and try to do a set without rolling.

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
i seems to still have this habit sometimes when i actually get nervous (usually only against someone good i get this nervous)but sonic as my main i have a great run speed so i try instead of rolling just try and run past them to the other side of the stage to figure out what needs to be done next. most of the time people think imma do a dash attack and just shield and other times they wouldnt have read the roll if i would have done it and i could have somehow punished them.

theres ups to not rolling theres downs to not rolling you just have to find a nice balance for it your character might not be like my sonic being able to just run away to set things back to neutral i guess you would say, so you may have to find a different option.

another thing that rolling could be used for is conditioning your opponent to think you roll all the time when in reality your just doing it too mess with them, so when they get used to you rolling you can punish them whichever way best. the only problem i have with this is that a roll may be your best option but you made them start reading your rolls so they could see it coming but i would say you should do this mostly away from your opponent they try and charge a smash waiting for you, you wait until they throw out the smash then hard punish unless your like me and find that opportunity to run in for an attack and be risky but i dont advise that since i even tell myself even if it worked that it was a stupid idea XD

i hope this made sense i feel like i dont make sense alot of the time :p

LightLV

Smash Ace
In my experience, there's really no need to watch rolls unless you're fighting a top-tier character, since they're all very easily capable of punishing them. Hard.

Everyone else though, whatever, as long as you aren't being completely brain dead...like, what is anyone going to do about it.

tyc

Smash Rookie
NNID
tyczynski
What's the point of excluding some characters when talking about a universal gameplay mechanic? If it's bad to abuse rolls against top tiers, it's bad period. If you think competitively you want to use what works against the best strategies:
Picking a top tier is often part of the best strats -> rolling is super risky against a top tier -> stop rolling and find something more efficient

It's as easy as that in my mind at least.

LightLV

Smash Ace
What's the point of excluding some characters when talking about a universal gameplay mechanic? If it's bad to abuse rolls against top tiers, it's bad period. If you think competitively you want to use what works against the best strategies:
Picking a top tier is often part of the best strats -> rolling is super risky against a top tier -> stop rolling and find something more efficient

It's as easy as that in my mind at least.
ideally this is true, but what is a risky option against some characters is just a really good option vs. others. Ignorant use of any option is discouraged though.

Learning what you can and can't do vs. other characters is just part of learning any fighter. Omitting an option on one character because it doesn't work on another doesn't provide the full amount of benefit that knowledge is supposed to grant you IMO.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931

Wrong.

This should be pinned. But yes, when you roll... always have a reason to do it. Don't roll for no reason. And rollers can still be easily punished.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Lol this post looks like a Triple A meeting. "Hi, my name is HFlash and I roll 30 times per stock...... Hi HFlash.
In all seriousness, great post @ A_Kae A_Kae . Like any other bad habit, you need to be mindful of it, and make it a priority in your mind when playing. Alot of this game is muscle memory, and you aren't going to come off the rolling habit until you teach your hands to use other options consistently until the point that you are doing it without thinking it. The habit didn't form over night, neither will getting rid of it.

Hope this helps OP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom