• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Penguin is kinda broken in NSMBW if you ignore its inability to hurt koopalings/bowser/jr with its ice balls.

Speaking of penguin, it'd make for a neat reference in the IC reboot 'cause winter and it'd be cute AF to see Popo/Nana cosplaying in it

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
It was cute enough seeing ICies being in adorable little fluffy polar bear outfits. But seeing them in penguin outfits waddling about and sliding on their bellies? Hnnnnngggg!!!!! The cuteness!

D

Deleted member

Played Brawl with a friend today. Feels nice to go back to it after playing Project M and Smash 4 tons. He happens to play... Captain Falcon. I played the Icies in most of my matches and ended up chaingrabbing him and he was like "THE ICE CLIMBERS ARE OP! STOP PLAYING CHEAP!"

he kinda has a point tho

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What do you all think about the Ice Climbers having a seal for as a pet?
Personally, I've been hoping for a "KAWAII!" reaction, but OK...:rolleyes:
Anyways, along with my question of the IC's having a seal for a pet, which I'm personally all for, what name would they give it?

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Personally, I've been hoping for a "KAWAII!" reaction, but OK...:rolleyes:
Anyways, along with my question of the IC's having a seal for a pet, which I'm personally all for, what name would they give it?
Ms. Flufferbottoms or Bobbles

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Sm4sh feels incomplete without all of the veterans. I really hope the ICs can get in as a Wii U exclusive.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Played Brawl with a friend today. Feels nice to go back to it after playing Project M and Smash 4 tons. He happens to play... Captain Falcon. I played the Icies in most of my matches and ended up chaingrabbing him and he was like "THE ICE CLIMBERS ARE OP! STOP PLAYING CHEAP!"

he kinda has a point tho
He doesn't have a point, tell him to not get grabbed. IC's have small grab range, he needs to take advantage of that, if not then he deserves what he gets. As an aside, Falcon is garbage in Brawl, your friend might actually have a chance with Meta Knight, Snake, or Diddy, but if I recall correctly Captain Falcon's one of the worst characters in Brawl. Either way, chain-grabs are hard as **** to actually pull off, I'm tired of people acting like it's so easy, and the reason why they don't do it is because "it's cheap". They don't do it because they can't and they're just being salty.

Sorry for the semi-rant, just see this way too often and am tired of it. A lot of people were actually glad the IC's were gone for this very stupid reason, and it pisses me off.

Furret24

Smash Master
He doesn't have a point, tell him to not get grabbed. IC's have small grab range, he needs to take advantage of that, if not then he deserves what he gets. As an aside, Falcon is garbage in Brawl, your friend might actually have a chance with Meta Knight, Snake, or Diddy, but if I recall correctly Captain Falcon's one of the worst characters in Brawl. Either way, chain-grabs are hard as **** to actually pull off, I'm tired of people acting like it's so easy, and the reason why they don't do it is because "it's cheap". They don't do it because they can't and they're just being salty.

Sorry for the semi-rant, just see this way too often and am tired of it. A lot of people were actually glad the IC's were gone for this very stupid reason, and it pisses me off.
Because it's not a stupid reason. Don't get grabbed is not a valid argument. Difficulty and short grab range don't justify being able to take every single character from 0% to death just by getting one grab on your opponent. This has nothing to do with him playing as Falcon (for other characters who can only chaingrab a select few characters, it does though) since it works on any character.

I like comparing their chaingrabs to like always having a 9 (ignoring that 9 usually can't kill at 0% and is punishable on block).

I don't get why people would be glad the Ice Climbers are gone because of their chaingrabs. What's stopping Nintendo from just patching it out (if they were in 4)?

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
It's so petty hearing people complain about their chaingrabs when they wouldn't even be an issue because of how the game is built. It's quite baffling how far one's ignorance can stretch. I bet plenty of them are unaware or haven't taken into account that their chaingrabs were patched out and removed in Project M. If they can fix the exploit, than certainly the official Smash team will do just that.
Yet another reason not to kill the pet seal (seal clubbing).
At least we can consider that ICies don't kill the seals in the JP version but rather making them dizzy. And of course they would look so adorable having a pet seal. It would make up for their past controversy.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Because it's not a stupid reason. Don't get grabbed is not a valid argument. Difficulty and short grab range don't justify being able to take every single character from 0% to death just by getting one grab on your opponent. This has nothing to do with him playing as Falcon (for other characters who can only chaingrab a select few characters, it does though) since it works on any character.

I like comparing their chaingrabs to like always having a 9 (ignoring that 9 usually can't kill at 0% and is punishable on block).

I don't get why people would be glad the Ice Climbers are gone because of their chaingrabs. What's stopping Nintendo from just patching it out (if they were in 4)?
If G&W always had a 9 he'd still have to set it up, which isn't exactly guaranteed, so while it may be broken it wouldn't be all that bad. Even then, that's a 2 move combo compared to a grab that takes insane precision to do and has to be done until over 100% and THEN when you're finally getting the muscle memory down you have to drop it to land a smash attack and can very easily mess that up and accidentally throw. It's not the same, not even close. Sure, yours isn't going to kill from zero, but it's also insanely easier to do.

Don't get grabbed IS a valid argument. Does it suck that you have to play around the grab? Yes. But it's the same as not wanting characters to get in too close or not wanting characters to camp out really, you have to stop the character from playing to their strengths, that's it.

I know every character can get chain-grabbed, but that doesn't mean certain characters don't have favorable match ups against the IC's. If the friend really wants to win (which is what it sounds like), they'd exploit that and play Diddy or Snake.

People get mad about the wrong attacks. As an IC main for the past two games and a Jigglypuff main now, I hear it all the time. Yet no one gets made at Sheik's fair that comes out really quick, has no cooldown, and plenty of range; or Ness' PKT2 that kills at insanely low percentages, has little cooldown on the ground, can be aimed in plenty of directions, and is stupidly difficult to break due to the thunder. Nope big kill moves that are either insanely hard to hit/execute are the focus of everyone's fury.

Furret24

Smash Master
If G&W always had a 9 he'd still have to set it up, which isn't exactly guaranteed, so while it may be broken it wouldn't be all that bad. Even then, that's a 2 move combo compared to a grab that takes insane precision to do and has to be done until over 100% and THEN when you're finally getting the muscle memory down you have to drop it to land a smash attack and can very easily mess that up and accidentally throw. It's not the same, not even close. Sure, yours isn't going to kill from zero, but it's also insanely easier to do.

Don't get grabbed IS a valid argument. Does it suck that you have to play around the grab? Yes. But it's the same as not wanting characters to get in too close or not wanting characters to camp out really, you have to stop the character from playing to their strengths, that's it.

I know every character can get chain-grabbed, but that doesn't mean certain characters don't have favorable match ups against the IC's. If the friend really wants to win (which is what it sounds like), they'd exploit that and play Diddy or Snake.

People get mad about the wrong attacks. As an IC main for the past two games and a Jigglypuff main now, I hear it all the time. Yet no one gets made at Sheik's fair that comes out really quick, has no cooldown, and plenty of range; or Ness' PKT2 that kills at insanely low percentages, has little cooldown on the ground, can be aimed in plenty of directions, and is stupidly difficult to break due to the thunder. Nope big kill moves that are either insanely hard to hit/execute are the focus of everyone's fury.
What are you talking about? You can never hear the end of Sheik's fair and PK Thunder 2 (PK Thunder 1 is easily interceptions and PK Thunder 2 is actually fairly easy to intercept with disjoint. saying PK Thunder is hard to intercept makes me think you're exaggerating the difficult of performing the IC's chaingrabs, despite it still being fairly hard to do). I don't know how 4 Jigglypuff has to with "wrong attacks".

If the IC's chaingrabs weren't so good, why are they a tier above everyone else (except Meta Knight)? I'm not saying it's broken, but it still feels rather cheap, despite being difficult to pull off (difficulty isn't an argument BTW).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm a Ness main and I'll be the first to say it. Ness' PKT2 is hard to hit. You have to be able to know where your opponent is going, hit them right when they get there, and actually control the PKT head to hit Ness in the correct direction. Not to mention if the head of PKT hits ANYTHING it will go away and you'll be left helpless, making it extremely dangerous to use off stage or against anyone who can push you off the edge of the stage without touching you (Mario's F.L.U.D.D., G&W's Up air timed correctly, even Greninja's recovery!!!).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What are you talking about? You can never hear the end of Sheik's fair and PK Thunder 2 (PK Thunder 1 is easily interceptions and PK Thunder 2 is actually fairly easy to intercept with disjoint. saying PK Thunder is hard to intercept makes me think you're exaggerating the difficult of performing the IC's chaingrabs, despite it still being fairly hard to do). I don't know how 4 Jigglypuff has to with "wrong attacks".

If the IC's chaingrabs weren't so good, why are they a tier above everyone else (except Meta Knight)? I'm not saying it's broken, but it still feels rather cheap, despite being difficult to pull off (difficulty isn't an argument BTW).
PKT2 was a bad example. Mostly coming from my Jigglypuff bias. Counters destroy it, disjoints help, and Rosalina eliminates it completely, but it still makes no sense that an attack THAT powerful and versatile has so little cooldown.

My point with Jiggs is everyone ******* about rest like it's so frickin' OP. It's hard to hit, no reliable set-ups, and I don't even have to mention how easy it is to punish if missed. Yet people complain like it's so broken all the frickin' time like it's some easy, no risk, overpowered attack (just like they do with IC's chains).

IC 0-death chain grabs are probably one of the hardest things in the game to actually pull off. Timing is extremely strict, and with little grab range and your opponent (if smart) playing against the grab, I seriously don't get why people still complain about it. Seriously, if you haven't tried it, try it. Take a day practicing and see how far it gets you. It's ridiculous. People get salty watching 9B and Vinnie, but we're talking about the best of the best, skill should recognize skill.

If anything the IC's do is cheap, it's Nana being able to get 1 or 2 free Smash attacks after a grab. Sure getting the grab may be difficult, but after that all you have to do is flick the C-stick in whatever direction you please and boom, easy kill set-up.

IC's a S tier because yes, when in the hands of a good player they're pretty ****in' great (like how I think Ryu's going to end up in Smash 4), but that does not mean everyone needs to be ******** and complaining about chains when, at a low level, they're barely even prevalent.
I'm a Ness main and I'll be the first to say it. Ness' PKT2 is hard to hit. You have to be able to know where your opponent is going, hit them right when they get there, and actually control the PKT head to hit Ness in the correct direction. Not to mention if the head of PKT hits ANYTHING it will go away and you'll be left helpless, making it extremely dangerous to use off stage or against anyone who can push you off the edge of the stage without touching you (Mario's F.L.U.D.D., G&W's Up air timed correctly, even Greninja's recovery!!!).
I never said it was a good recovery tool, but it's really not that hard to use. On the ground, it's extremely easy and much quicker than previous games. In the air (over the satge or near a ledge) it's more difficult, but it makes it more versatile option being able to aim it in multiple directions or just use PKT1 and put your opponent in a defensive position. It has it's cons, but being hard to do isn't really one of them.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Anyone want to see some sweet, sweet Ice Climber gameplay?

Different topic, if the IC's really don't make it back, I'd like to Sakurai to talk a little about what he was planning to change, if anything, for their inclusion this time around. While hand-off chain grabs wouldn't be possible, footstool chains, and iceblock locks should still be, so I wonder what he'd do to change them, or if he'd just let it go.

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I swear that first vid was so stylised, and when I saw the start of it I was like "is this actually happening? is this an announcement I didn't know about :O" but either way it was cool AF.

They both show why IC is S-rank in both games

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I swear that first vid was so stylised, and when I saw the start of it I was like "is this actually happening? is this an announcement I didn't know about :O" but either way it was cool AF.

They both show why IC is S-rank in both games
I know, apparently the guy who made the first video worked on it for about 6 years, so if you can give em a like or subsribe or something idk they deserve it.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I came up with a Palutena's Guidance for the Ice Climbers :)

Oh! It's the Ice Climbers! It's good to see them back!

You remember them fondly, don't you?

But of course! They're retro icons!

Why was it that they skipped the last installment?

I heard it was a contract issue.

I wonder what that means.

Anyway, let's focus. The Ice Climbers have some of the most unique fighting styles out there, Pit. As you can tell, they fight as a duo, having Nana mimic Popo's every move.

Which means that every blow they deal will strike twice as hard!

And those mallets look like dealers of a world of pain, huh?

That is correct, but it's not that bad. Nana can be sent flying, which leaves Popo kind of, um... What's the word?

Useless?

No, not useless, but you can guess where I'm going with this.

Yeah, I get it. It's starting to get cold here...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Anyway, let's focus. The Ice Climbers have some of the most unique fighting styles out there, Pit. As you can tell, they fight as a duo, having Nana mimic Popo's every move.

That is correct, but it's not that bad. Nana can be sent flying, which leaves Popo kind of, um... What's the word?

Useless?

Ha! Awesome. I can hear the voices and everything.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Useless?

So cool! Aw, man. I just remembered...if by some chance the IC's DO make it into Smash 4 somehow....They WON'T get a "Palutena's Guidance"!:cry:

C3CC

Smash Lord
So cool! Aw, man. I just remembered...if by some chance the IC's DO make it into Smash 4 somehow....They WON'T get a "Palutena's Guidance"!:cry:
I know, it's too sad :( I have hopes that maaybe when they're done releasing DLC characters, they'll get the voice actors and record proper conversations for them. I mean, if they can get ONE guy to record ONE line every time a character gets released (the announcer) they can get several actors to record several lines, right?...

... Right? :(

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I know, it's too sad :( I have hopes that maaybe when they're done releasing DLC characters, they'll get the voice actors and record proper conversations for them. I mean, if they can get ONE guy to record ONE line every time a character gets released (the announcer) they can get several actors to record several lines, right?...

I...REALLY hope so...:(

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Don't rule out the possibility of there already being one for them seeing they were pre-planned.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Let me check the math...

1=1
Several-more than 3 (3+)
3+=3+

Yup, looks like we're good to go. All DLC characters will eventually get proper Palutena's Guidances.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssssssssssss, we can't be so quuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttt

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyysssssssssssssssssssssss, we can't be so quuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttt
Sorry man I got nothin'. Thought DLC would be at least announced by now, and there isn't much IC related stuff floating around so talking points are kinda limited.

Top Bottom