• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

D

Deleted member

W-wha? We had an Ice Climbers DLC thread and I didn't even notice after all these months?

I think I'm in heaven.

Furret24

Smash Master
W-wha? We had an Ice Climbers DLC thread and I didn't even notice after all these months?

I think I'm in heaven.
Haven't you been following me for a while? I've been frequenting this thread for over 2 months.

D

Deleted member

I followed you a couple weeks ago, I think. But I don't follow the character discussion board save for specific ones so I just ended up pondering on here.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys, on the speculative side but I've got a question. If the Ice Climbers got a revival akin to Kid Icarus: Uprising, who would you want to develop it? And should it be in 2D or 3D or have any voice acting?

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Hey guys, on the speculative side but I've got a question. If the Ice Climbers got a revival akin to Kid Icarus: Uprising, who would you want to develop it? And should it be in 2D or 3D or have any voice acting?
Not really Kid Icarus: Uprising level but with Nintendo trying out Mobile games, I could picture a version of Ice Climber for the iPhone. Press and hold right or left to move, tap to jump.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I talked about this quite a few pages ago, but I want a 3D IC adventure game. Pixar art style. I didn't pick a director, not really sure who would do it right. Maybe Sakurai?

MaxBowser

Smash Rookie
They have the best teabagging animation, so I'll enjoy having them back and trolling people online with them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I still think that we will get these guys back, for free download, by years end.

But, golly, I also have faith in Ridley, or that I single-handedly inspired a new Pokemon Trainer.

D

Deleted member

I talked about this quite a few pages ago, but I want a 3D IC adventure game. Pixar art style. I didn't pick a director, not really sure who would do it right. Maybe Sakurai?
Sakurai doing it would be pretty sick.

An art style akin to this would look beautiful imo as well.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I want Sakurai to revive them in as much style as he revived Kid Icarus. At this point Popo and Nana are effectively his characters (much like Brawl Pit was) and I feel that he could really bring out the characters personalities (as shown in Smash, they are reasonably timid) in as much style as he did with Pit, Palutena etc. in Uprising. Definitely want to see it on either 3DS or Wii U.

D

Deleted member

I want Sakurai to revive them in as much style as he revived Kid Icarus. At this point Popo and Nana are effectively his characters (much like Brawl Pit was) and I feel that he could really bring out the characters personalities (as shown in Smash, they are reasonably timid) in as much style as he did with Pit, Palutena etc. in Uprising. Definitely want to see it on either 3DS or Wii U.
This is precisely why I'd love to see Sakurai do it, Uprising was a fantastic game and literally all the characters were likable in some way so I'd love to see how he'd expand the Icies universe. It'd also give him leeway to make another "innocent" game again (Uprising and Smash Bros. are mostly action-based titles so yeah) along the lines of when he used to make Kirby games at HAL Laboratory, and considering the fact Sakurai wants a break from Smash this opportunity is too good to not jump on.

It'd be cool if the Icies got a redesign, they'd probably look best like this in my opinion:

The art was done by iceclimbersadventures, who also are the ones who had drawn the art that's currently my avatar. They're ICs appreciation blog that y'all need to give some attention because their comics and Ice Climbers stuff are awesome. But aside from that plug, I feel like this'd be a fitting redesign for them, and them having dark skin would be refreshing considering most Nintendo characters aren't POC and it'd fit in line with real-life Eskimos. Also, Popo and Nana's in-game sprites in Ice Climber also had tan skin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
Most people probably want a new take on the Ice Climbers (be it open-world, RPG or whatever), but if a revival did come, I think I'd prefer a simple side-scrolling, platforming game (with emphasis on climbing up mountains and other terrains, as well as team-work puzzles utilizing both Popo and Nana), with a bit of a nod towards the original game. Retro Studios did a great job with both new DKC games and I wouldn't mind them tackling IC's in a similar manner. But of course I wouldn't mind Sakurai trying it out too.

Also, I know this topic has been brought up before, but how would you feel if Nana got blonde hair like in one of the games cover arts? Surely we've all grown to like and love the brown-haired duo, but I think blonde Nana would be really cool, interesting and new. Maybe that's just me though.

D

Deleted member

Most people probably want a new take on the Ice Climbers (be it open-world, RPG or whatever), but if a revival did come, I think I'd prefer a simple side-scrolling, platforming game (with emphasis on climbing up mountains and other terrains, as well as team-work puzzles utilizing both Popo and Nana), with a bit of a nod towards the original game. Retro Studios did a great job with both new DKC games and I wouldn't mind them tackling IC's in a similar manner. But of course I wouldn't mind Sakurai trying it out too.

Also, I know this topic has been brought up before, but how would you feel if Nana got blonde hair like in one of the games cover arts? Surely we've all grown to like and love the brown-haired duo, but I think blonde Nana would be really cool, interesting and new. Maybe that's just me though.
I wouldn't mind if Nana got blonde hair, actually. She looks really adorable with it. Sakurai or Retro Studios would not doubt do a great job, but HAL Laboratory would be an interesting candidate too.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I've talked about this before, but I'd like to see IC revived as an RPG (i.e. I want to see levels on each character and the ability to learn new skills) which is sort of like a crossover between Pokémon (turn-based battle system, small party size), Pokémon Mystery Dungeon (randomised dungeons), Dragon Quest (party visible behind controllable character (char in first party slot); ability to create your own characters for use), Inazuma Eleven (vast majority of pre-made characters with unique moves/abilities at your disposal (probably those which custom characters can't attain)) and Xenoblade Chronicles (vast overworld to explore). I think it'd make for an amazing experience and would be a great revival for the series.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Most of my IC game ideas are on page 89 if anyone wants to see.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

For an alt. costume sure. But I don't use them (alt. costumes) at all, so I'd like for them to stay as is instead of changing what they currently have into an alt. (yes, I'm that picky. I'm even a bit frustrated they changed R.O.B.'s default color in the NA version).

D

Deleted member

If there was a reboot of Ice Climbers, do you guys think Popo and Nana would talk? I can't imagine them with voice acting personally.
I wouldn't necessarily mind voice acting but I'm having trouble imagining what they'd sound like. Would they get American VAs? Japanese ones? Tough to think about.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If there was a reboot of Ice Climbers, do you guys think Popo and Nana would talk? I can't imagine them with voice acting personally.
I think if they did Sakurai would find the right people. The Kid Icarus VA's are perfect, then again there's Fox...

FancySmash

Smash Lord
VA's are OK, I'd just assume they'd have their Smash Voices, only using complete sentences this time around. Still, the main problem at hand is convincing someone to pick up their series. Perhaps we can do some convincing in the form of a movement? I've noticed several characters in the ballot all start with a movement of some sort.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
VA's are OK, I'd just assume they'd have their Smash Voices, only using complete sentences this time around. Still, the main problem at hand is convincing someone to pick up their series. Perhaps we can do some convincing in the form of a movement? I've noticed several characters in the ballot all start with a movement of some sort.
I'd love for his to happen, but I wouldn't know where to start. I'd guess you could try and get a semi-big gaming site to help seeing that they're probably news starved at the moment, and something like this could probably get some clicks (maybe someone can get Source Gaming in on it?). Outside of that, Twitter, Reddit, maybe a petition?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think if they did Sakurai would find the right people. The Kid Icarus VA's are perfect, then again there's Fox...
Completely agree with that. Brawl's VAs for Fox and Falco were great. Smash 4, well...

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Completely agree with that. Brawl's VAs for Fox and Falco were great. Smash 4, well...
I actually don't have a problem with Falco's voice in Sm4sh, though I prefer his Melee voice. The only Fox voice I'll even accept is his Melee voice. It was perfect in my opinion, that and his style. I hate the new Fox.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Right. Forgot most of the community loves Melee to death...

Well, I'd take Brawl's Fox and Falco voices over Smash 4's. Fox's was just flat out better, and Falco had more personality.

D

Deleted member

Brawl's voices for Fox and Falco were indeed perfection, especially Fox. Got his personality down-pat and he just sounded outright badass. I loved it. That and I'll miss Brooklyn-accent Falco...

HANDS OFF MY BREAD! :falco:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah let's make it into a Melee Vs thing... Us Melee fans are always out to get you guys.

I like Fox's voice in Melee. It has a tint of French accent which you don't see much in voice acting. "Otah" is also ingrained deep in my memory. I love everything about his Melee voice.

In my opinion, his Brawl voice is boring. It makes him sound more awkward and less badass. Better then the current one, but that's really not saying much.

This is of course opinion, but let's not act like I'm picking his Melee voice 'cause I liked the game better. I'd pick current Peach over any other Peach, same goes with Pikachu, but not Fox, Melee got that one right.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I personally find Brawl's VAs for Fox and Falco to be laughable at best. I really like 4's. :/

AnonymousMoon AnonymousMoon , I summon thee.
I can understand Falco, but how does one like Fox's Sm4sh voice? I always laugh when he says "Mission Complete" after the match, because he sounds like he got kicked square in the nuts.

Furret24

Smash Master
I can understand Falco, but how does one like Fox's Sm4sh voice? I always laugh when he says "Mission Complete" after the match, because he sounds like he got kicked square in the nuts.
There's something so silly about it, that's it's really charming to me. I can never help but smile when he says "mishun complete!".

Either way, it's not as dumb as Brawl Falco.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
There's something so silly about it, that's it's really charming to me. I can never help but smile when he says "mishun complete!".

Either way, it's not as dumb as Brawl Falco.
Let me put up some flame shields for you...because that is one of the most incorrect statements I've ever heard (though I'm not going to chew you out on it, to each his own).

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I don't remember voices that well--I'd have to pay more attention to that once I play Melee, Brawl, and 4. One thing that stood out to me is that in Brawl, when Falco did his Up-B, it sounded really weird when he said "fire" like he was from some cheap TV show. I get used to the voices--the only voice I noticed a drastic change in was Pit. Went from a personality-less battle-ready dude in Brawl to a guy that sounds like a clumsy goofball. I've been playing Wolf in Brawl, recently, and I can definitely say that Jaz Adams matches the character's aggressiveness (both in personality and move set) perfectly. As long as Falco sounds cocky compared to Fox, I'm good (given that I don't pay much attention to voices)

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I think that IC would benefit more from the mario and zelda approach to voice acting than from the xenoblade and uprising approach. I think that (mostly) silent protagonists are better suited, with a few "ha!"s, wails etc. being better suited to their characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think that IC would benefit more from the mario and zelda approach to voice acting than from the xenoblade and uprising approach. I think that (mostly) silent protagonists are better suited, with a few "ha!"s, wails etc. being better suited to their characters.
I don't know, silent protagonists are cool, but I think IC's have a chance to be something more here. Being kids, I think there's potential for conversation that introduces fear, naivety, and unbridled excitement into a medium that personality traits tend to fall under over-confidence, and sexual-innuendos. Ice Climbers can bring something interesting and new to the video game industry, and I'd love for them to do that. They just need to get the right people, because it's so easy to **** up.

D

Deleted member

It'd be cool if a new Icies game focused on them using elemental powers like they do in Smash, imo. I dunno how they'd be implemented, maybe like Mario's various powers in Galaxy (Rainbow, Bee, Penguin etc.). Maybe something like the Project M Icies' Polar Bear costume could allow them to cause much greater damage to enemies or crush them.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
It'd be cool if a new Icies game focused on them using elemental powers like they do in Smash, imo. I dunno how they'd be implemented, maybe like Mario's various powers in Galaxy (Rainbow, Bee, Penguin etc.). Maybe something like the Project M Icies' Polar Bear costume could allow them to cause much greater damage to enemies or crush them.
Penguin's not in Galaxy o_O yes I'm a nitpicky ****

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been a while since I've played Galaxy lol

oh yeah, it's in NSMBWii

Top Bottom