• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Breaking the Circle Pad

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I've had the game since launch and last week I broke the circle pad while trying to smash the opponent. Good thing the new 3ds and its c-stick are coming out tomorrow :) has anyone else had this happen to them?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually waiting for this to happen.. the circle pad is slowly but surely shifting with the slightest touch. So I've been trying to use it less for when I play on the Wii U and instead use my GCC.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
I'm actually waiting for this to happen.. the circle pad is slowly but surely shifting with the slightest touch. So I've been trying to use it less for when I play on the Wii U and instead use my GCC.
Same here, after playing a lot of the Wii U version I missed playing smash on the go and now I play both pretty frequently. With the c-stick my new 3ds's circle pad will be good for a good long while

Latino

Smash Rookie
NNID
metalermac
3DS FC
3797-6903-4006
Well, the rubber part of my 3DS XL fell off.
some super glue did the trick
however i do feel my circle pad getting more stiff.:ohwell:

Kirisamee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-3757-2156
My circlepad's condition does look a little more...rough around the edges, but I don't think it'll break any time soon. I'm careful with it, after all.

JmacAttack

Wielder of the Triforce
BRoomer
NNID
DudeMcPersonMan
3DS FC
1865-1222-7961
My circle pad does feel less solid than the day I got it. Wish it didn't get so slippery when I play, or I'd be more gentle with it...

CreaminFreeman

Smash Rookie
I broke my circle pad very shortly after I got into Smash on the 3DS. I have a nasty habit of death-gripping the 3DS. No matter how hard I tried to focus on it I would put way too much pressure on the circle pad around halfway through the average match. What broke was the plastic circle underneath the soft cover of the pad so what was left was a sharp, plastic nub. I played on the sharp nub for about a week before it became too much to handle. I felt that I was more accurate but it started to really hurt my thumb. Something had to be done.

I decided it would be funny to try and install a Lenovo nipple onto the nub that was left.
**Look up "CreaminFreeman" on Reddit as I can't post links yet. Posted to /r/smashbros.

It worked pretty well for a couple of weeks but it got really dirty REALLY fast.

I then ordered this little gem here:
**Look up "ValueDeluxe Analog Stick Cap for Nintendo 3DS & 3DS XL / LL with ValueDeluxe Micro Fiber Cleaning Cloth [replacement] [fix] [repair][bulk packaging] [video game][bundle]" on Amazon...

Now, as this is an aftermarket circle pad it is not the same at the original. It's made out of a stiffer plastic and doesn't have the cover that the original circle pad has over it. That being said, I found it to be WAY more sturdy than the original. I smashed on the new circle pad for MONTHS before my dumbass left the 3DS in the bathroom at work and it got stolen.

Going to pick up the new 3DS today. Cannot wait.

I hope you guys found this post to be useful.

Happy Smashing!

(Sorry about the lack of links but I made an account just to reply to this post and can't post links yet)

Last edited:

Take 5

Smash Apprentice
Know quite a few people who are getting the New 3DS XL because of this issue.

As for me Circle Pad's still in good shape, even with perfect pivot practice :)

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
I'm quite convinced that if you can it's best to remove the plastic covering over the Circle Pad.

Most of the breaks my friends have had were where the pad fell off but also parts of the circle pad itself got stuck onto that covering and came off with it. This leaves the pad as a small nub and makes it really hard to fix with simple glue.

But if you remove the plastic covering before it breaks off with pieces of the pad attached and leave it loose (that is to say, don't glue it back - it doesn't fall off often anyway) then the risk of the pad breaking seems to be less because it's not attacked to the covering.

Not sure if I articulated that properly, but I tried. xD

Or maybe all my friends just smash the thing too hard for their own good (I find that people used to GC controllers tend to treat the 3ds a lot more harshly than people without that experience).

Last edited:

MikiSagittarius

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1461-6991-9602
Mine broke in the middle of class, lost the rubber part afterwards...

I still play but I now have a giant hole in my thumb ;-;

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I had the game since it came out and to this day, my circle pad still feels good as new.

D

Deleted member

Mine is still fine. Works flawlessly with no problems.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Mine circle pad has not been the same since I bought Smash 4 3DS. It's not broken, but it has an annoying input error. Whenever I slide the circle pad downward or upward, the command will continue to register even after I've let go of the circle pad. Once Smash 4 Wii U came out, I stopped playing Smash 3DS altogether.

Fortunately, though, most of the 3DS games I play frequently can be played with the D-pad.

Naturu

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaturuNinten
3DS FC
0877-2961-1868
I wish there was a way to map the controls to the D-Pad. It may not feel as solid as analog controls with the circle pad, but I'd hate to break mine, especially since I've heard that they're hard to replace.

ryanator008

Smash Cadet
I never had a problem with my circle pad, but I'm a pretty gentle person. Anyone think of getting theirs repaired by Nintendo? I wonder how much it costs.

Last edited:

DaVe^

Smash Rookie
I've had the game since launch and last week I broke the circle pad while trying to smash the opponent. Good thing the new 3ds and its c-stick are coming out tomorrow :) has anyone else had this happen to them?
I've had the game for about a month now, I've never gotten close to breaking any button, and or, circle pad. P.S. I've also played a good other 5 games on my 2DS, and nothing is CLOSE to broke.

Ogono

Smash Rookie
The rubber part fell off and I used Super Glue. It feels really limiting, like if I'm going in for extreme combos I tend to grip my 3ds tight REALLY TIGHT and I could feel if I don't ease up, I'll break my 3ds with my huge hands lol. But, when I do ease up, I get out of the flow during the match and it ends up back firing. :(

2Fat

Smash Rookie
It happend to this one kid I know. I don't really try to smash all that hard on my 3ds just because I don't want to risk that happening. Although you would probably have to use a decent amount of force to break it off.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Mine feels a little weird, but it's been like that since before I got Smash 4, and it really hasn't gotten any worse. I just think a lot of people are being a little too rough with theirs' while using Smash attacks.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I was never one to violently beat the hell out of my controllers, but since I use my 3DS as my go-to competitive controller on both the WiiU and 3DS (obviously), I'm really paranoid about it. I try to be as gentle as I can, and I really do think my circle pad can last for a while.

But that fear really does loom over you sometimes, I'll tell ya hwat.

Last edited:

Colonel Shubb Shubb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4484-9916-4119
I was never one to violently beat the hell out of my controllers, but since I use my 3DS as my go-to competitive controller on both the WiiU and 3DS (obviously), I'm really paranoid about it. I try to be as gentle as I can, and I really do think my circle pad can last for a while.

But that fear really does loom over you sometimes, I'll tell ya hwat.
Exactly. I try to be as gentle as possible (while still giving it my all). The while 3ds circle pad has never felt that responsive to me, mine has seem to be less responsive in the past few weeks. And as a quick side note, is that "I'll tell ya hwat" supposed to be a King of the Hill reference? If not, I'm sorry, but if it is; awesome!

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Exactly. I try to be as gentle as possible (while still giving it my all). The while 3ds circle pad has never felt that responsive to me, mine has seem to be less responsive in the past few weeks. And as a quick side note, is that "I'll tell ya hwat" supposed to be a King of the Hill reference? If not, I'm sorry, but if it is; awesome!
The only time I've ever really felt a lack of response is when I'm playing Jiggly and Zelda and you have to be moving and short hopping everrryyyywhere. With those two I retreat to the GamePad.

And yes, you got me and my super secret reference. Good job with that! :dkmelee: Ya did good.

Top Bottom