• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawling Mind Games

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
EDIT: Major edit on location, time, and pricing!
We're going to be moving the tournament to Mind Games, a card-game store.
The date has also been changed to the 27th, the Sunday following the original Friday, and the time will be at 1:00 p.m.

511 1st Street
La Salle, IL 61301

There will still be a singles and doubles bracket. We will determine whether to do elimination or pools, based on how many people show up.

Times:
Arrival and registration: 1:00 p.m.
Doubles Start: 2:00 p.m.
Singles Start: 4:00 p.m.
(if those signed up for Singles are still playing Doubles, then we will adjust match-ups so they do not miss their fight)

Our ruleset will be the Japanese Rules seen here:
http://allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=194378
and here:
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl/Tournaments/Japanese_Ruleset

Modifications to Ruleset:
MK is banned
EDIT: Time limit is being bumped back to the default Japanese 10 minutes.
None of the counterpick stages are being used. All matches will be fought on FD, BF, or Smashville, unless both players agree to a different stage. The loser of the first match chooses from these three stages, with one being banned by the winner.

The following limiting rules are being used:
Ledge grab limit of 50 (Ice Climbers get 60, as per usual). If a player exceeds his or her ledge grabs, they will be DQed. If both players exceed their ledge grabs, this rule is ignored.
No infinites for stalling purposes. If a player infinites his or her opponent past 300%, the match is forfeit to said opponent.

EDIT Second big edit.
We will be charging venue for $5
Entry fees be $5 for Singles
And $10 for each team of Doubles

However, the payout has been increased!
1st: 50%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

Also, we would appreciate those who are able to bring tvs and Wiis. We only have 6 of each confirmed, so if you are able to bring them, please do. Lastly, make sure to bring your own controllers, because we will likely be limited on extra controllers.

We hope to see as many people there as possible! We're looking forward to it. So come on down to the Middle-of-nowhere Illinois and enjoy some Smash Bros.

See also http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=13839 for the All is Brawl page.

Masho

Smash Cadet
I might go to this, it's only an hour away from where I stay at.

eh. if someone drives me (red ryu i'm looking at you lol) i'll go to this, but i still think the ruleset is garbz lol

edit'ed for how i really feel about that ruleset

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Hey... are you the one I met at the library on the 7th?
No, i wasn't able to make it to that event, but i think my friend told me about you. Was he a black guy who played Game and Watch, if not Falco?

eh. if someone drives me (red ryu i'm looking at you lol) i'll go to this, but i still don't like the ruleset
awesome. and don't worry, we'll be closely watching to make sure people don't use stalling or running away. I'm going to be editing the ruleset a bit and some info as well.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
wait... soo if i were to go to this and win i'd have drove 2 hours to win 1 dollar of the 5 i'd have payed to enter this...

-dip-
don't worry, there'll be a good amount of people. we've got a buncha kids that go to the library's game nights that'll probably be going, as well as a bunch from the gamers club. there'll be plenty

Cook

Smash Master
I was thinking of going to this because it's fairly close and I haven't been to a tournament in forever, but $5 entry + tiny payout + meh rules = Idk...

:phone:

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
I was thinking of going to this because it's fairly close and I haven't been to a tournament in forever, but $5 entry + tiny payout + meh rules = Idk...

:phone:
ah it's only $5 bucks, without venue, and unfortunately, i don't have control over the payout. First was originally going to be 50% but the library really needs the money. the rules are there to make this more balanced, and we'll be watching closely to make sure people don't stall to drag the match to time limit. all we really want is to make this fair for every character, which is why we only have these stages. it'll be a fun time.

Cook

Smash Master
How many people do you reasonably expect? What are the chances of going to $10 per person? Having three stages plus a ban means a best of three will only include two stages. That's pretty weird. Not like I'm planning to win or anything, and I'm sure it would be fun, but that's kinda weird. Any chance of having a Project M side event?

Sharpman767

Smash Rookie
Ah yeah, that would be him. I'm guessing you're the partner he spoke about? Apparently we're going to play each other a bit to train :D

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
How many people do you reasonably expect? What are the chances of going to $10 per person? Having three stages plus a ban means a best of three will only include two stages. That's pretty weird. Not like I'm planning to win or anything, and I'm sure it would be fun, but that's kinda weird. Any chance of having a Project M side event?
Well we've updated the tourney, and there's gonna be a $5 venue charge, so we won't be charging any more. And we're doing these stages to try to make this as well-rounded as possible. Depending how it goes, though, we might open up some more stages for future tournaments. You see, when our group plays, we only use those three, and the matches are usually very well-rounded. But I'm thinking we should ask about if the stages after the tournament, to see what people thought about the stages and other rules.

As for Project M. I REALLY think that would be fantastic. We're actually thinking of doing a solely Project M or BrawlMinus tournament in the near future. Have you tried M 2.5 yet? It's fantastic. But if we have time, we should definitely play some PM.

Edit: to answer your question about how many people, we're not expecting a LOT, but somewhere between 10 and 20. 25 at the very most.

Ah yeah, that would be him. I'm guessing you're the partner he spoke about? Apparently we're going to play each other a bit to train :D
Yessir, that's me. We're team Game-&-Dorf. :awesome: And yeah, we'll get you into shape as best we can haha. I see from your profile that you main Ice Climbers. I've been working on them a lot lately, so we could help each other out with them, i'm sure. Tell me, can you chain-grab with them?

Sharpman767

Smash Rookie
Well yes I main ice climbers, but I am probably best with king dedede to be perfectly honest, and as for the chaingrabbing, I can do it to a reasonable extent on the following characters: Falco, Metaknight, Ike, Marth, and Snake. And that sounds good! Should be a good experience. You also mentioned PM and minus, I also play those mods ;P Definitely excited to get into the scene finally.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Well yes I main ice climbers, but I am probably best with king dedede to be perfectly honest, and as for the chaingrabbing, I can do it to a reasonable extent on the following characters: Falco, Metaknight, Ike, Marth, and Snake. And that sounds good! Should be a good experience. You also mentioned PM and minus, I also play those mods ;P Definitely excited to get into the scene finally.
Dedede's a solid character. being able to pull the chaingrab off against just those characters alone is fantastic in itself, since those are popular characters used in tournaments. i look forward to fighting you whenever we get around to it haha.
As for PM and minus, that's fantastic you play those! have you downloaded the PM update yet? it just came out a couple days ago. it's pretty sweet (that Ivysaur is awesome). but yeah, we'll definitely look into doing a tournament for one or the other, if not both in the very near future.

Sharpman767

Smash Rookie
Yes, I got the PM update, it's fantastic! And, it's sweet that we'll be doing more tournaments in the near future (Maybe we could make this a regular thing?) it would definitely help if this first tourney went well. Really want to play you guys sometime :D

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
if there is PM i might come out, this is like an hour away from where i am.
1pm start? whats starting then? can you give a time schedule for everything if possible.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Yes, I got the PM update, it's fantastic! And, it's sweet that we'll be doing more tournaments in the near future (Maybe we could make this a regular thing?) it would definitely help if this first tourney went well. Really want to play you guys sometime :D
yeah, we're hoping it'll be a regular occurrence. like every or every other month maybe. look forward to playing you too!

if there is PM i might come out, this is like an hour away from where i am.
1pm start? whats starting then? can you give a time schedule for everything if possible.
there might be PM, but not a tournament for it this time. while the tourney itself is gonna be Brawl, friendly matches of anything from Original to BrawlMinus are encouraged. as for the schedule, all we're doing time-wise is having people show up at 1:00. we'll give people about an hour to arrive and to get in friendlies, and then we'll start at about 2:00. other than that, it's pretty straightforward. i'll adjust the information to say when things are.

Water Thug

Smash Rookie
I've got three that want to go. We live about 3 hours away though, so we might not considering it's on a Sunday. We're still deciding. If any of the future ones were on a Saturday, then we'd be down for sure.

If we do decide to go, I'll let you know. We'd be able to bring a tv and a wii set up as well.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
I've got three that want to go. We live about 3 hours away though, so we might not considering it's on a Sunday. We're still deciding. If any of the future ones were on a Saturday, then we'd be down for sure.

If we do decide to go, I'll let you know. We'd be able to bring a tv and a wii set up as well.
It'd be awesome to have the three of you. But with it being right before Monday, i understand people have classes and work, so it'd be difficult for those further away. still'd be awesome to have you people. make it, if you can!

was very interested in this until i saw entry fee. $5 entry is for side tournies. Best of luck to whoever goes :)
Yeah, we are a smaller based tournament, but we're hoping to gain a bigger following as time goes on. make it a regular occurrence. you should come anyway and help us gain some reputation!

Water Thug

Smash Rookie
It'd be awesome to have the three of you. But with it being right before Monday, i understand people have classes and work, so it'd be difficult for those further away. still'd be awesome to have you people. make it, if you can!
I'll try my best to convince them to come up. Do you have a rough idea of how many people would be attending? And any idea how long you're projecting it to last til?

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
I'll try my best to convince them to come up. Do you have a rough idea of how many people would be attending? And any idea how long you're projecting it to last til?
right we're expecting between 20 to 30 people, so not too big sized. hopefully we'll get more to join in the coming week and a half through local advertising. if you do only singles, it probably won't last til after 7 or 8, and doubles will probably last a couple hours after that. of course this depends on who does which tournament, but the maximum would probably be 11 p.m., although i highly doubt it'll last that long.

Water Thug

Smash Rookie
right we're expecting between 20 to 30 people, so not too big sized. hopefully we'll get more to join in the coming week and a half through local advertising. if you do only singles, it probably won't last til after 7 or 8, and doubles will probably last a couple hours after that. of course this depends on who does which tournament, but the maximum would probably be 11 p.m., although i highly doubt it'll last that long.
Alright sounds good. I'll see what I can do. I can for sure bring one wii set/tv if I come, but I could probably bring another. If future ones are on Saturdays, we'll definitely have a better chance of coming up, but I'll see if my friends are up for it. I'll keep you posted on what our status is.

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Alright sounds good. I'll see what I can do. I can for sure bring one wii set/tv if I come, but I could probably bring another. If future ones are on Saturdays, we'll definitely have a better chance of coming up, but I'll see if my friends are up for it. I'll keep you posted on what our status is.
that's great. we'll try to aim for Saturdays in the future. hope to see you there!

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
Just a reminder that the tournament is this Sunday. So everyone get your homework done on Saturday and come and play some competitive Brawl!

darthlink777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
darthlink777
The tournament went well this past Sunday. The winner of the singles bracket was Burstfire with a brutal Wario game. Doubles was narrowly won by my and my friend's team Game&Dorf.
Since the tournament went so well, the people at Mind Games gave us the ok to host tournaments there on a regular basis. So the next one we have will likely be the last Saturday or Sunday (hopefully Saturday) of February. As promised, this will be a Project M tournament

Top Bottom