• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Single-player: Enhanced port of Cube Kirby?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I remember reading a few years ago about a Kirby that was being developed for the cube that was using the Melee engine. Well, the game got cancelled. Could this potentially be the team taking up the project again?

Discuss....?

Spellman

Smash Ace
Haha, I kinda thought that too. Personally, I've always attributed that Kirby feeling in Smash Bros. to Hal Laboratories. (I know Hal's not developing this one but, I think we can all give them special thanks anyways.) I found Smash Bros. 64 music sounded a lot like Star Fox in a lot of ways, but maybe that's just because it shared the same midi insturment set as it did.

But yeah, back to topic, I hear ya. Eyeball menaces and bionic wheely enemies are Kirby-style hardcore.

BUT, I don't think this is Cube Kirby.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
we dont know enough about Subspace to truly say its a Cube Kirby "clone"(dunno if thats the right term)

xxLinkGodxx

Smash Cadet
Omg, I want that game!!! I hope they put it on the wii like they did with papermario...

Drake3

Smash Ace
Give me that Kirby game now. Except for the part where he can duplicate millions of allies. Kirby games were easy enough without having to include your own personal army.

Sprigginz_Caldo

Smash Apprentice
That's what I was thinking. My sister said to me, "A lot of those enemies look very kirby-esque"

I'm sure they are Kirby inspired, but I doubt they are the product of Cube Kirby.

Revven

FrankerZ
The game was only canceled for GCN (as a lot of you already know) however, Matt of IGN has kept saying that it's still in development and is coming for Wii. He said we'd see it at E3, we didn't. Don't know when the hell we will and quite frankly, it's probably not going to come ever if we don't see anymore footage after next year's E3.

Anyway... they don't look too much like Kirby, only some key enemies do like the motorunicycle.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
yea besides that badassitized unicycle there isnt THAT much of a Kirby feel to it(its miniscule though)

burrito

Smash Lord
You do realize that Sakurai, the creator of smash bros., is also the creator of the Kirby series? Of course, the enemies are going to remind you of the Kirby series. I figure that these things should be common knowledge of smash fans.

Hal Laboratory is the developer responsible for the Kirby series and was developing the Kirby GCN game. Hal Laboratory also developed Smash Bros. 64 and Melee while Sakurai was a member of the company, but he left to become an independent developer a couple of years ago, before that Kirby GCN game was being created. A completely new company was created with Sakurai heading for the creation of Brawl, but it wasn't being made completely from scratch. A lot of resources Hal Laboratories used in creating Melee were given to this new company. So, it would be no surprise that this GCN Kirby game and Brawl have similarities, but it was Hal Laboratories developing the game.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Well, the director AND producer of the game is only the creator of Kirby, and he considers Kirby to represent himself. I don't see why not.

But I do recall that this game picks off from the finalized version of Melee more than an unfinished Kirby game.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
You do realize that Sakurai, the creator of smash bros., is also the creator of the Kirby series? Of course, the enemies are going to remind you of the Kirby series. I figure that these things should be common knowledge of smash fans.

Hal Laboratory is the developer responsible for the Kirby series and was developing the Kirby GCN game. Hal Laboratory also developed Smash Bros. 64 and Melee while Sakurai was a member of the company, but he left to become an independent developer a couple of years ago, before that Kirby GCN game was being created. A completely new company was created with Sakurai heading for the creation of Brawl, but it wasn't being made completely from scratch. A lot of resources Hal Laboratories used in creating Melee were given to this new company. So, it would be no surprise that this GCN Kirby game and Brawl have similarities, but it was Hal Laboratories developing the game.
Everyone should read this, and then this thread should end.

Anyways, Sakurai DID create Kirby, so it's NATURAL that the creatures he thinks up in his mind will look the they came out of a Kirby game.
All in all, does it really matter?

Top Bottom