• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Similarities with Air Ride

Pinoy

Smash Rookie
Has anyone noticed the distinct similarities between Brawl and Kirby's Air Ride? They have similar light schemed colors in the menu, the layout of the options are similar, and with today's update (1/14/08) of the hints on how to unlock, that is VERY similar to Kirby's Air Ride, especially the Golden Hammer and just breaking the box.

Am I the only that sees these things? Please tell me your thoughts on the subject.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Has anyone noticed the distinct similarities between Brawl and Kirby's Air Ride? They have similar light schemed colors in the menu, the layout of the options are similar, and with today's update (1/14/08) of the hints on how to unlock, that is VERY similar to Kirby's Air Ride, especially the Golden Hammer and just breaking the box.

Am I the only that sees these things? Please tell me your thoughts on the subject.
these similarities are there for allmost every kirby game directed by sakurai, it's just that Air-ride was the last. so it's the most obvious.

you can go the other way around it and say air ride was similar to Melee.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
yes! my my friend wanted to play it after dragoon was confirmed and i have never played it either. so i took my brother's and we played it at his house and we were just like ''woah..this is just like the brawls layout''.

side note: my brother right now just got up and checked the update on the computer next to me and goes '...this is just like kirby air ride.' lol. i guess sakurai is consistant throughout his game making.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Kirby air Ride was an unholy mess of underbalancing and oversimplification.

If you want me to explain, I will.

I can only HOPE Brawl does not borrow more of its design elements, Air Ride used Melee's menu sounds.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
these similarities are there for allmost every kirby game directed by sakurai, it's just that Air-ride was the last. so it's the most obvious.

you can go the other way around it and say air ride was similar to Melee.
Meteos, another game of Sakurai has similar menus to Melee (and even Brawl now i think about it)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
Kirby's Air ride is a great game, so it has 1 main unbalanced mode, so what? it doesn't stop the game from being great and fun.

konoha107

Smash Apprentice
I own the game, I play City Trial a lot still. I noticed that the Challenges are very like the checklists from KAR.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Challenge menu actually can be useful if you're stumped on how to unlock a specific item. The Golden Hammers should only be used for impossible tasks such as clearing Classic Mode on the "Very Hard" difficulty with only 1 life.

Talking Curtain

Smash Cadet
The Challenge menu actually can be useful if you're stumped on how to unlock a specific item. The Golden Hammers should only be used for impossible tasks such as clearing Classic Mode on the "Very Hard" difficulty with only 1 life.
you say that as if it is completely impossible. You just have to be careful. (I'm speaking of melee of course...it's not like I know about brawl....)

suck

Smash Rookie
I hate this ****! Kirby Air Ride was such a ****ty game but Sakurai puts millions of references to it!

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
I own the game, I play City Trial a lot still. I noticed that the Challenges are very like the checklists from KAR.
Thats my Fav. part of it really! XD
The rest of the games...well....It lacks alot of things...

Its a run game to play every once and awhile though!

Trophyhunter

Smash Apprentice
Obviously somewhere where, you havn't been
Guys calm down okay they are simularites sure but tell me does brawl really look like a kirby air ride copy can you beat the living heck out of donkey kong in air ride but yeah there are some things teh same but does kirby air ride have final smashes.

Booshnig

Smash Cadet
Hopefully the quality of Brawl doesn't coincide with Air Ride's.
(obviously it won't :p)

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
I think that a lot of people saw the similarities with Air Ride. That's why I had been expecting the "Challenges" mode for a while, at least. I have to admit, Air Ride is one of the few games that I regret not buying, because it was pretty neat, and I love the idea of having a lot of challenges that you slowly discover and overcome. Thankfully, I'll have Brawl for that!

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Air Ride was a better game than you guys make it out to be <_> really.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Kirby's Air ride is a great game, so it has 1 main unbalanced mode, so what? it doesn't stop the game from being great and fun.
One button to brake, slide and attack.
It doesn't ACTUALLY make the game any better either. So top ride was hilarious, it just seemed to me like I was the only person that liked it, none of my friends would play it, so we just played Melee. And the "main" 3D mode is an absolute mess, because ATTACKING to slow your enemies down slows YOU down too, because it just so HAPPENS to be the BRAKE button AS WELL, when the perfectly good BIG RED B button was completely unused, except for menus.

And the car accelerates for you, with invisible walls that guide you around the track if you go NEAR a "stage boundary"?

Not my kind of racing game.

And I don't want any of this oversimplification to rub off on Brawl either.

NotGiratina

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I didn't like about Kirby Air Ride was the actual air ride,I enjoyed top Ride and City Trial.Though I also admit KAR could've used more buttons.

On topic: I like the fact brawl used some of KAR's better aspects (menu style,The challenges/checklist,and the Dragoon.)

And MIC 128 is correct,Most of the Kirby games have similar menus,even the ones after sakurai left.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I absolutely loved Kirby Air Ride. City Trial was a blast, and among my friends and I, it was the only thing that could dethrone Melee for as long as it did.

So I'm excited about the checklist. Not only will it be easier to figure out what you have and have not unlocked, it'll give you hints on how and give you challenges.

I'm pretty excited

Top Bottom