• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Picks #6: Rundus vs Dark Samus

Who is your brawl pick?

• Rundus

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Dark Samus

Votes: 25 55.6%

• Total voters

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yeah... I haven't made one of these in a while and I apologize for that but my life got in the way. :p

Anyway... I've decided to do the next match-up: Rundus vs Dark Samus.

Ridley will NOT be on a metroid character vs metroid character poll since he would KILL the other character with ease. Instead, I may match him up against another series' character. As for Metroid itself, these two characters come from the mini-series of Metroid Prime.

Rundus plays an intergral role in Metroid Prime 3 as an ally to Samus and overall, appears to be the most important and prominent of the bounty hunters. So instead of matching Dark Samus up against a random hunter, I decided to match her up with the most important and newest one.

Dark Samus herself is the main antagonist of the Metroid Prime series. She is NOT a Samus suit, but instead her own character. She would NOT be a clone in Brawl because of the several different powers she possesses and the fact that she can float. In actuallity, Dark Samus is actually Metroid Prime making use of Samus's DNA and Phazon Suit.

Name: Rundus
Series: Metroid Series
Party: First Party
Role: Important Character
Details: Rundus is a hunter that was hired by the Galatic Federation to assist Samus Aran in dealing with the corruption of several planets by Dark Samus and her phazon seeds. He has freezing powers and, according to Wikipedia, he becomes corrupted with Samus and the other hunters which would suggest he has the same "Hyper Mode" ability she acquires. He would be a somewhat slow but powerful character that can freeze and charge energy attacks in Brawl.

Name: Dark Samus
Series: Metroid Series
Party: First Party
Role: Antagonist
Details: It appeared in Metroid Prime as... Metroid Prime... Yeah, the series is named after it. After its defeat, it absorbed Samus's DNA and Phazon Suit to become Dark Samus. It later appeared in Metroid Prime 2 to absorb phazon to become more powerful and will appear in Metroid Prime 3 as the cause of corruption by phazon seeds on a planetary scale. It has several abilities that seperate it from Samus including the spreader beam, the ability to ensnare enemies in phazon crystals, render itself invisible, or disperse into several particles.

Well, there you go.

Have fun!

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
[First to post?]

I chose Dark Samus, mainly because I have a liking for her more than Randus. She also looks badaz. :)

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
This isn't much better than a ridley poll I predict, no one knows who the **** Rundus is. Dark Samus has 'samus' in it so it'll win.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
its actually a tough choice. rhondus sounds like a nice addition being ice based, but he has only one game appearance, while dark samus has been there since the beginning. although having 3 samuses is like having fierce diety link, link, and WW link. that or mario, Dr. mario, and flud mario. sure they would each play differently but i think it would get confusing and annoying after a while.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I pick Dark Samus. It's too late for Rundus to make it into Brawl.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Rundus..."Role: Important Character" That's debatable. Maybe he has an important role in MP3, but the fact that I've played every metroid game and never heard of him tells me he's not that important...

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
He isn't important, but he's like the only character in all of Metroid history to be a "good guy". Unless you count the infant Metroid.... The truth is, he's a side character that is hired to fight along side Samus in the conclusion of the sub series Metroid Prime, and he'll most likely die a horrible death at the end of the game. BUT he has ice powers. Which is awesome. Which means he should be in the game.

Aki-toriko

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus for me. The most important character in the Prime Storyline after Samus herself and a villain (which we all know Sakurai wants more of). Plus she has more than enough abilities to not be a Samus clone. Rundus sounds interesting, but I know nothing about him because the only game he stars in is yet to be released. Dark Samus simply has the bigger profile and history.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Dark samus is awesome so I chose dark instead as for Rundus he's good looking and all but imo he isnt very popular and would get beat up my Dark Samus badly

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Rundus seems like he can offer more then Dark Samus with his ice powers. Plus he looks different then Samus (which is a plus). And frankly I think Sakurai could do better then Samus, Samus without her suit, and a darker looking Samus as the Metroid roster.

Caael

Smash Lord
Dark Samus for me. The most important character in the Prime Storyline after Samus herself and a villain (which we all know Sakurai wants more of). Plus she has more than enough abilities to not be a Samus clone. Rundus sounds interesting, but I know nothing about him because the only game he stars in is yet to be released. Dark Samus simply has the bigger profile and history.
Ridley is more important and a villain. Ridley pwns DS.

I vote Rundus because it's Samus against the world, and finally she gets an ally. Plus he's awesome.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
While I understand why you wouldn't put Ridley up against another Metroid character, I get the feeling it's a little unfair to compare characters with one appearing in a game that hasn't been released yet.:ohwell:

Still, I decided to go for Rundus. Dark Samus is more important than him, it's impossible to argue otherwise, but DS is honestly just another villain for Samus, and as pointed out, Ridley trumps DS in that category. Rundus on the other hand is actually an ally of Samus, something we rarely get in the series, and unlike all the other hunters from Metroid Prime: Hunters, the fact that we've seen more of him than anyone else in MP3 shows that he can easily be picked out from the rest of the cast.

As far as style goes, I've always liked the ice element and honestly, the ice climbers didn't do it for me in that regard, so Rundus has a lot of potential in that regard. And while I know DS can have an original moveset, I can't say what I've seen it can do really interests me in being a playable character, or at least not as much as Rundus does. That and I personally prefer Rundus' look to DS'.

Still, I'm honestly not expecting either of them to be in the game.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus. The namesake of the Metroid Prime series definately deserves a spot on the roster.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
agreed, and ally such as Rundus wouldn't be a bad idea but Dark samus is more deserving because the Metroid series needs more representation like Ridley and Dark Samus would fit just the spot because of Dark's popularity

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
I voted Rundus, because he looks sweet, and I'd rather not like to see Dark Samus in Brawl.

But in actuality, as far as Metroid characters go, I'd much rather see Ridley or Sylux!

Cenedar

Smash Ace
Ridley is more important and a villain. Ridley pwns DS.
Quoted for truth. If the Metroid series gets a villain in this game, it will be Ridley.

But I voted for DS anyway because given the choice between it and Rundus, I personally prefer DS more. And you're right, there's no way she could be a Samus clone, apart from slight similarities in appearance.

Caael

Smash Lord
Yey Ridley.

Considering that Sakurai is going for a Zero Mission look ( Zamus and her suit isn't the prime look), i'm guessing Ridley will be in it over D. Samus, as DS wasn't in the game. I could be wrong though.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
3rd time in a row ive tied a poll.

Rundus would be a better contribution to the metroid characters in Brawl. Dark Samus looks too much like Samus, whereas Rundus is a new, totally awesome Bounty Hunter.

Cenedar

Smash Ace
True, Rundus is new and he does look awesome, and I'm sure Sakurai could think up SOMETHING good for his moves. But we gotta look at time frames here.

Metroid Prime 3, Rundus's only game appearance, comes out August 20th. We don't know when Brawl is coming out, all we know is that it is SOMEWHERE in the late summer-fall area of 2007. Sakurai didn't want to be rushed with this project like he was in Melee. The way I see it, there is one SLIGHTLY possible way that Rundus could get in over DS.

And that is as advertisment for MP3, kinda like Roy was for his game in Melee.

But all of the above is really moot anyway, because as Caael and I had said earlier, Ridley will eat them both. XD

Edit: DS looking like Samus doesn't account for much unfortunately. Luigi looks alot like Mario, but there are still hundreds, even thousands of people who I'm sure like him.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Considering that Sakurai is going for a Zero Mission look ( Zamus and her suit isn't the prime look), i'm guessing Ridley will be in it over D. Samus, as DS wasn't in the game. I could be wrong though.
You are. The suit is the MP suit. And she was wearing her Zero Suit at the end of MP2.

But Ridley will be in, so rest assured. :)

NukeA6

Smash Master
True, Rundus is new and he does look awesome, and I'm sure Sakurai could think up SOMETHING good for his moves. But we gotta look at time frames here.

Metroid Prime 3, Rundus's only game appearance, comes out August 20th. We don't know when Brawl is coming out, all we know is that it is SOMEWHERE in the late summer-fall area of 2007. Sakurai didn't want to be rushed with this project like he was in Melee. The way I see it, there is one SLIGHTLY possible way that Rundus could get in over DS.

And that is as advertisment for MP3, kinda like Roy was for his game in Melee.

But all of the above is really moot anyway, because as Caael and I had said earlier, Ridley will eat them both. XD

Edit: DS looking like Samus doesn't account for much unfortunately. Luigi looks alot like Mario, but there are still hundreds, even thousands of people who I'm sure like him.
Melee was rushed? Best rushed game ever!

The poll results impress me. Maybe Rhundus can have a chance.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
I say Dark Samus, though Rundus would be nice if for no reason then the fact we need an ice user(Ice Climbers didn't use enough ice to count).

Shuma

Smash Hero
I don't see how Rhundus could triumph over DS, or how could DC triumph over Ridley... But aniway i chose DS.

Top Bottom