• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl in Tournements?

susu_atari

Smash Ace
I was wondering if anybody thought that Brawl's basic gameplay would be tweaked to be tournement friendly? Possibly making the items appear less randomly, or making sure noone can get infinate wall combos, etc.
I have also noticed, playing SSBM that Sakurai probably wasn't aware of the concept of tier lists, but I'll wager now these tourny-types have come to his attention. Who's betting Mario and Kirby are top-tier?
I was never really one for SSBM tournements, the stripped-down version of the game isn't complex enough to qualify as tournement material, in my opinion, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai made adjustments to allow for "unmolested" tournement-style play.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Mario top tier? I seriously doubt it.

Mario is supposed to be a "middle" character if you know what I mean. He's basically the same in all of his other multiplayer games. (like Mario Kart.)

You don't have to worry about items being "less random." Can't you just turn them off altogether like the tournaments already do?

Adi

Smash Lord
I was never really one for SSBM tournements, the stripped-down version of the game isn't complex enough to qualify as tournement material, in my opinion, but it wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai made adjustments to allow for "unmolested" tournement-style play.
Which is why MLG didn't acknowledge a Smash Circuit until we dropped tournaments with items for the standard of tournament right?

susu_atari

Smash Ace
My point is, that in Melee, tournements removed the items out of necessity, because they made the matches too random, and tournements cannot, by nature, allow luck to influence the outcome. In my opinion, though, this is only playing half a game. If I were Sakurai, I would devise a way of making sure the items were able to be used in tournements, by removing the luck factor.
An example of how this could be done, is by adding an option to make items appear in designated places at precise timed intervals, that way collecting the item would be down to the skill of the player who was able to be in that place at that time.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
My point is, that in Melee, tournements removed the items out of necessity, because they made the matches too random, and tournements cannot, by nature, allow luck to influence the outcome. In my opinion, though, this is only playing half a game. If I were Sakurai, I would devise a way of making sure the items were able to be used in tournements, by removing the luck factor.
An example of how this could be done, is by adding an option to make items appear in designated places at precise timed intervals, that way collecting the item would be down to the skill of the player who was able to be in that place at that time.
That seems completely unnecessary (making them appear in set places at certain time intervals). Items are fine they way they are. Tournaments aren't "forced" to play without items. Playing without elements of luck is a decision collectively made by the tournament scene, and there's no reason for the designers to take unnecessary steps to accomodate them, since A) they make up a small percentage of the SSB user base and B) they seem to like their version of the game just fine. Besides, there would still be randomness present in that you don't know WHICH item will spawn at the spawn location.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Wouldn't that still be luck though? What you're saying is IF he could devise a way to make it less luck.. but items will always add luck to play. If a hammer always dropped in one location of the map at the same time, you could be lucky enough that one drops just as you knock your opponent off the map making for a successful edgeguard, or it just happens to be that time where a beam sword drops and you can quickly throw it at your opponent making his way back to the platform.

Edit: Got there before me max =P

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Also making items spawn in certain places would make the game boring and too predictable for the casual players.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
That was really just a rushed example, and something, that if I were Sakurai, I would include as an option alone. What I'm trying to ask is if anybody thinks that Sakurai would pay attention to accomodating tournement-style play, and if so, what would he change?

IllidR

Smash Champion
He wouldn't change much at all because when it comes down to it, tournaments are being played for money and people want it to be based on skill alone and not chance.

XenoGuard

Smash Journeyman
All this crap about items and luck again, If you have the right knowlage, Items can't do jack too luck, evey item has a way it can be countered, and the reason i don't like much tournaments is becouse they remove them, as if the unexpected never happens in battles...

IllidR

Smash Champion
Items have plenty to do with luck.. and most tournament people don't want any factors of luck to be in their competition. They don't want to lose money just because while their opponent was falling to their death to win the match a capsule fell on and exploded, making him lose the match.

xTOXNx

Smash Apprentice
All this crap about items and luck again, If you have the right knowlage, Items can't do jack too luck, evey item has a way it can be countered, and the reason i don't like much tournaments is becouse they remove them, as if the unexpected never happens in battles...
How the hell can someone being almost dead, and then picking up a heart container, be in anyway fair.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Its true that items add luck and chance to the game, but isn't that what playing with your friends BEFORE the tournament is for?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
In my opinion, he'll probobly won't make a big strive to make it tournamnt friendly. He did say he was stressing easiness. But, I don't think it will be thrown to the wind. I expect a lot of buffs and nerfs. And courses will probobly be more tournmant friendly(they seem to be a bit tame as Melee's were a little speratic)

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I feel Sakurai won't go out of his way to make the game tourney-friendly.
He'll make it customizable so that we could make the game tourney-friendly for ourselves.

Top Bottom