• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~!~ Brawl for All - Weekly Online Tournament ~!~

Dacvak

Smash Ace
-=-=-Brawl for All-=-=-
Brawl4All.com
(under construction)

-=- Weekly Online Brawl Tournaments -=-

UPDATE! Here is the first tournament listing: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154442
Click to sign up!

Greetings fellow Smashers!

Brawl for All is a weekly online tournament for competitive Super Smash Bros. Brawl play. While final dates and times have not been decided yet, everything about the B4A tournaments will be revealed before the US launch of Brawl. If you are interested, keep an eye on this thread until then.

The Basic Setup:

Brawl for All will be run like a standard Smash Bros. tournament, only modified slightly to work online. These rules are subject to change and have not been finalized.
  • Each participant will be required to have a high-speed connection and minimal lag while playing.
  • The tournaments will be organized online, and all information per tournament will be delivered through live chat via AIM. There will be a single chat room set up where the match lineups, rules, and results will be posted in real time. This information will also be available on the Brawl4All.com website.
  • Each participant will be required to register for each tournament no earlier than 24 hours before the tournament begins and no later than 2 hours before the tournament begins.
  • Brawl for All is open to anyone, however each tournament is run on a first come first serve basis. There will be a set number of openings per tournament.
  • These will not be money tournaments. In the future, however, separate tournaments involving money may be arranged.
  • The initial tournaments will be 1v1, however in the future we will also host team tournaments.

The Initial Rules:

Once again, this is all subject to change.

• Standard tournament rules will apply, however some may be added or changed.
  • Stages: A random stage generator will be provided by Dac, and the first stage will be assigned to each individual match personally. After the first random stage, counterpicks can be decided among each player, just like a normal tournament. (Tournament-legal stages will be decided and posted at a later date.)
  • There will be no items, including Smash Balls.
  • Each match will be 3-stock with a time limit of 8 minutes.
  • You may use any of the four control schemes, including customized controls.
  • You are not permitted to change any of the settings that could alter the game, such as time limit or handicap.
  • Cheating will result in a lifetime ban from the Brawl for All tournaments.
  • If you are disconnected, it is counted as a loss.
  • No lag johns. Period.

How this works:

Online tournaments are a bit difficult to setup and even harder to maintain during the time of the tournament. There are often times problems that can occur during online play, and all of this will be taken into consideration and discussed at a later date. On the plus side, there will be no waiting in line for a TV to open up, and you'll get to participate in the comfort of your own home.

An hour before the tournament starts, a live chat room via AIM will open up and all of the participants that week will be invited in. If you do not show up at least 30 minutes before the start of the tournament, you will not be allowed to participate.

The brackets will be randomly decided initially, however this can change later on. After everyone is paired, the matchup information will become public through the chat room and each participant will be required to exchange friend codes and set up their own game through private conversations.

Each tournament will be divided up into rounds. Each rounds, the players participating will be required to battle their opponents and then deliver the results to an AIM Brawl Stat Bot. Each round will last approximately 30 minutes, which is enough time to send and receive friend codes and battle up to three times.

On some occasions, there may be a "referee" present in a match. Since friend modes don't allow for spectators (at least I don't believe they do) a ref will be issued to important matches, like the finals, where it will actually be a 3-player match. The ref will set up the game and simply immediately kill himself 3 times. As soon as he dies the third time, the match will officially begin for the 2 finalists. Official B4A refs will be chosen at a later date, and if you'd like to become on, please message me on AIM or PM me. The requirements are simply that you have a great internet connection (preferably FiOS) and a video capture device and are willing to upload videos to YouTube.

Each tournament is expected to take anywhere from 3 to 4 hours. Though a day and time have not been set up, they will probably be held around 7pm until 11pm on an undecided weekday.

The specifics of the tournament setup have not been officially decided yet. Stay tuned for more on that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

If you are interested in participating in Brawl for All tournaments, please reply in this thread or message me on AIM. (My AIM is "Shigeru Miyamoto")

These tournaments will be highly competitive, but most importantly will allow competitive Smashers who can't make it out to typical tournaments have a taste of the scene.

This thread will be heavily updated and modified before the Brawl launch with official details, so keep a close eye on it.

Thanks,

~Dac

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
If you do happen to get this thing going, I'll definitely take part. I'm sure it will be a complicated thing to get going, but if you have an idea that you want to go for, then I will certainly encourage you.

Green & Watch

Smash Cadet
I'm extremely interested in this whole thing you've got set up. I'll IM you about it some time.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
you're saying AIM will be required in order to compete in this tournament?

because this sounds pretty interesting, but would really rather not download it. (MSN > AIM)

Dacvak

Smash Ace
Hopefully when we start playing on the American servers lag won't be much of an issue. However, these tournaments will probably start out decidedly small, just to get things flowing. I know I said 32 people at first, but I might bump that up to 64 at the start. I've already had about 15 people say they want in already.

We're going to try to make these tournaments as professionally done as possible, with constant stat tracking and an online ladder system. We're going to try and get a website up with more information in a week or so. Just keep checking back to this thread for more information, as it will be constantly updated.

~Dac

Gaplka

Smash Cadet
I'd enjoy getting involved with this. Although... We need spectators who are willing to record the matches and upload them to youtube. You know, pretty much what they do with offline tournaments.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
I'll do it. If it's during the week, i'll have to come over to your place to participate tho, Dac.

Dacvak

Smash Ace
*Heavily updated first post*

Here's how the spectators will work. I don't think you can simply watch a friends-only match, so we'll have a ref who enters at the beginning of the match. The ref will immediately kill themselves 3 times and as soon as he dies the third time, the match will officially begin. The players will not be allowed to move or attack until the ref kills himself a third time.

We'll only have refs for the finals and whatnot, and a ref will typically be someone with a video capture device, so if anyone could volunteer early that would be fantastic. We'll get you right on staff for B4A and you can be an official ref.

~Dac

Edit: Thanks for the move, mods. Forgot about the Tourney section of SWF. Lol.

Edit^2: 9-volt, I'm counting on you to help me run it. =P

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
awsome idea! really, since there are so many poeple who can't just go flying around to places to play i ntournaments. im definitely in. but, try not makeing all the tournaments at the same time of day, since may be at your area it will be like 2 PM but for someone else its like 4 AM.

s0nnyyyy

Smash Rookie
i dunt get how all u huys are playing becAUSE brawl hasn't relased yet? Plz explain plz?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@ s0nnyyyy - some people have bought the jaapnese version of Brawl and have either modded their american wiis to be compatible to the japanese version of Brawl, or have bought japanese wiis.

TuRk E

Smash Apprentice
What video recording deivce does any1 recommend and where to obtain these devices since I dont have 1?

Top Bottom