• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl causes Wii to break down?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I think anyone who makes claims that a single game can 'wear down' a wii is beyond saving in terms of their mental capacity for figuring out and solving problems.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Brawl's one of the only games I play and when my friends put the disc in, it errors quite often, but when I handle it, it works fine! My hypothesis is my friends are not as loved by Nintendo technolgy as I am.
Note: I never would've figured out that Brawl was a dual layered disc...interesting!

Zielmann

Smash Cadet
The one we have in our dorm started making loud sounds while playing, and eventually couldn't read anything, either. We ended up taking it apart, and found that the drive wasn't actually spinning any discs. We were lucky if one out of every 20 tries any game would spin up, and it would usually fail pretty quickly thereafter.

My roommate replaced the disc drive (twice - first one had problems, too), and now it works fine.

I won't say that Brawl caused it, but we do play A LOT. That, and the fact that something was off-balance in there (the cause of the noise), is probably what caused the motor to fail.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I don't know, my Wii keeps showing error messages, especially when we play SSBB. I looked at it and I think my Wii is actually putting deep scratches circularly around our disks.

AcesWild

Smash Apprentice
My wii started having problems a few months ago, I've been playing brawl since day one with no problems, but then my wii decides to show this green screen saying the disc can't be read after about 10 minutes of play. Also it sounds like it's about to go to the moon every time I attempt to play.

But there also was a small period of time (a week i believe) where everything was fine... But then the screen started showing up again. No smoking anywhere near my wii, so I'm assuming brawl did just wear out the lens(if thats possible).

SolidLegend

Smash Rookie
I doubt it. Knowing Nintendo, they always test there games and see if their working 100% correctly. They have stated this somewhere before.
As a lot of people have said, make sure you put it in a open space. Don't put it in a corner were the dust can bounce of the corner and go straight into the Wii.

Nexus Bond

Smash Apprentice
Funny thing is that all the individuals that have complained about their Wii breaking down started to complain about the console not reading the Brawl disc and hearing a lot of noise coming from the disc reader.
Uh-oh, I hope mine doesn't break, since I've been hearing a lot of noise coming from the disc reader also, after I knocked it down once on accident.

sacul

Smash Rookie
my wii som times brake down but i just un plug all thats conekted to the wii and put it somwear cool (NOT THE REFRIGERATOR)and a 60 minits later its good agan

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Gah...I swear, I need to make a thread to help with this problem, I see it every month at least twice.

While Brawl causes the Wii to seemingly break down, it's because the Wii has a lens that reads the disk and in many cases the lens gets dusty and is unable to read a layered disk like Brawl. It makes wierd sounds, freezes, and a whole bunch of stuff. You have to send it in to Nintendo, they replace the disk drive for you and it's free.

So, in a way Brawl causes the Wii to act up.
Can a wii lens cleaning kit fix this? Or does it have to be nintendo?

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
This is true. My wii has broke twice now. First time I called in Nintendo and they explained that it was SSBB's fault. The game is a two layered disc, it has something to do with the Wii's memory and stuff. It didn't break my Wii all together, We could play any other game but brawl. And it's not my disc, We went out and bought a brand new one and it still wouldn't work.

This is the biggest disc/game for the Wii.

Top Bottom