• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl AT Discussion Summary and 2/28 Discussion Topic Poll

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
So first off, apologies for being so late with providing the summary of our discussion. Additionally, thank you to anybody who provided any insight on applications of brawl techniques. Furthermore, if anyone has corrections or additional information, please feel free to comment below!

In our discussion, we covered Footstooling, DACUS, AGT, GT, RAR, and Breversing+Wavebouncing.

[collapse="Footstooling"]

We determined that footstooling does have a few niche applications that should not be overlooked. In order to utilize this technique more effectively, it is sometimes recommended that the player bind the command to the jump button that they do not use (x or y) rather than to the default (dpad).

Applications for Roy that we discussed were for gimping Yoshi's recovery through DJ armor, gimping Falco in his firebird startup, and following up in comboing.

While the application against Falco is fairly simple, discussion about footstooling Yoshi's recovery is needed as preventing Yoshi from surviving to high %s is very valuable in this matchup. The idea is to take advantage of Yoshi's lack of up-b intended for recovery by footstooling him during his double jump (which normally allows yoshi to armor his way through edgeguard attempts), but this is not quite as simple as it seems.

Hamyojo commented regarding footstooling in the Yoshi boards stating " His double jump has super armor that comes out frame 1 and lasts the entire animation, and if someone tries to footstool you you can just nair them." So while a well placed footstool can close out a stock, it can still be difficult to land on a recovering Yoshi. Below are a few gifs of footstooling on Yoshi in action.

http://www.gfycat.com/GrandiosePertinentGardensnake
https://gfycat.com/PowerlessScholarlyAmericankestrel
http://youtu.be/ca60ys_xYvo?t=8m6s

If anybody has more examples, feel free to post. Additional information on setting up footstools would be appreciated (though we did mention that following up fair with a footstool is certainly an option if the opponent DIs wrong).

Shoutouts to @ Sethlon Sethlon and @ hamyojo hamyojo for setting the Roy/Yoshi MU standard in PM.

The combo potential for footstooling a grounded opponent was discussed as well. Landing the strong (non meteor) hit of dair off of a footstool seems to be a fairly effective option (leading into utilt/uair juggles, bair, or even fsmash depending on the opponents DI. It would seem the primary problem with this is in landing the initial footstool (not something easy to do in neutral).

[/collapse]

[collapse="DACUS"]

DACUS seemed the most obvious of the techniques from brawl to apply to PM, despite this, there was not too much input on where it can be applied. Further input would be greatly appreciated.

The applications for DACUS that we discussed ended up boiling down to three topics. Throw followups, platform tech chasing, and unexpected bursts of speed in the neutral.

Following up a forward throw with DACUS would seem to be a possibility in certain matchups (DI dependent). The idea was to follow up fthrow on floaty characters (ex. Jigglypuff) with DACUS assuming that they DI away from Roy. At higher percents, this could lead to kills off the top. Additional testing is required to know with what DI and against what opponents a DACUS followup is viable (please comment with additional information if you have any). The big concern here deals with the inconsistency of Roy's up-smash due to its multi hit nature: often times, sufficient SDI (or sometimes none at all) will allow an opponent to pop out of the up-smash rather than take the strong hit.

Platform tech chasing was also brought up over the course of the discussion. For stages in which platforms are low enough, it is possible to hit the opponent after a tech roll with the up-smash. This can lead to possible kills or just followups for additional % in situations where other options would not suffice (it was brought up that there is almost always a better option for continuing combos).

The third option (random bursts of speed) is pretty much self-explanatory. Mindless use of DACUS in the neutral is not recommended (pretty much never recommended in the neutral), but catching falling opponents unexpectedly from below (particularly the floaties) is a possibility. This can be done against a falling Peach that has committed to using a parasol and is attempting to land on stage. The basic idea is to catch falling opponents unaware.

Further information on application of DACUS would be appreciated.

[/collapse]

[collapse="BReverse/Wavebouncing/RaR"]

These are the techniques in which an error in terminology is most likely to occur, feel free to correct me for the sake of accuracy.

So B-Reversing was discussed purely from the point of view of a movement mixup. This could make landing a flareblade or DED string possible in situations where the opponent would not expect an attack (particularly those who are not familiar with such techniques). This technique really begins to shine when applied to a reverse aerial (referred to as wavebouncing). Applications of wavebouncing were discussed for DED and flareblade.

The most interesting contributions regarding wavebouncing were brought up for DED1 in the comments of the original post for the 2/7 discussion. The possibility of wavebouncing DED to poke at opponents while staying away from shield grab range or other retaliatory measures is fairly self-explanatory, but more can be done when one acknowledges the possibility of wavelanding after the first swing of DED. With this in mind, Roy can waveland inwards to followup with a grab, continue the DED string, or use a double jump (and subsequently follow up with an aerial or whatever else you can imagine). To quote Sethlon from the original post "^^^ Something I've been working on specifically vs the fat characters. Hoping it'll be useful in the long run against D3." This seems to be fairly new, so time will tell what applications for this there are.

Possible applications for edgeguarding with wavebounced aerials were brought up as a possible addition to Roy's (lackluster) offstage edgeguarding game. The basic idea would be to hit opponents attempting to recover high with either a wavebounced DED1 or flareblade. The momentum change would allow Roy to return to the stage and follow up if the opponent survives. Whether this is practical or not is up for debate (it would seem fairly niche at best), but anything that could potentially help Roy with offstage edgeguards should be considered.

RaR allows for some interesting movement options that were not present in melee (should not be overlooked). RaR bair can be used as a kill move (with less commitment, but less range than Fsmash). RaR also allows for turnarounds via wavedashing after one has entered the run state (after dash start up). This would allow for Roy to take the ledge with a single wavedash by running at the ledge, starting the turn around animation, and wavedashing towards the ledge (as opposed to having to input the wavedash during the startup of a dash like in melee).

[/collapse]

[collapse="GT/AGT"]

These two techniques benefit the item characters far more than they benefit Roy, but they are worth knowing for specific matchups. Roy may end up taking advantage of these two techniques in the Peach/Diddy MUs and perhaps also the Toon Link MU.

The main use we discussed would be helping Roy's recovery with Bananas/Turnips/Bombs with the extra momentum from the AGT.

Roy's GT is also very interesting, but we did not go into any depth over its applications. Of note is the massive distance Roy covers when doing a GT during a backwards roll. Beyond creating space for Roy, we aren't sure how to properly apply this tech (again, any additional info is appreciated).

[/collapse]

This should cover the extent of what we discussed, anyone with anything to add or who wasn't present at the discussion is encouraged to post in the comments. Additional info, examples, or corrections are all welcome.

I would like to create a poll for the 2/21 discussion, however, not that many topics have been proposed. If you have ideas, please comment. I would like to stay away from MU discussion given that there is a MU thread, but we could go in depth and post the summary in the thread if that is what people want. I don't think I can include a poll by editing, but I'd rather not spam up the boards with multiple posts regarding a single discussion. I'll most likely link to an external website with a poll once people recommend some good topics.

EDIT: Sooooo on account of having been busy and being occupied with college stuff on saturday, I'll not be able to make this. Apologies for not getting a poll up in time for voting, I've decided to push this back a week to the 28th. Sorry everybody!

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Thanks for putting this together!
My thoughts...

Footstooling;
Note that footstooling Falco directly out of his firebird won't actually work. If you attempt to footstool someone who is in an attack animation, then that animation isn't actually interrupted; the footstooler will still get the jump from the 'stool, but the character that was footstooled won't be affected at all.

Footstooling is a rather strong tool against Yoshi, and one of the few ways that Roy can deal with his (surprisingly potent) recovery. If you're expecting to play against Yoshi players, I'd highly recommend learning its application.

One of the places to apply footstooling outside of Yoshi is after a full hop fair. When opponents are too high to get the dair follow up, Roy is generally at a good height to be able to double jump and footstool his opponent, instead. (Interesting to note is that this is the reason I went for the footstool in this combo against Hamyojo...it wasn't specifically because he was Yoshi, but rather because that is a set up I've been toying with for a while now. I've also pulled this off on Lunchables and Strong Bad...it didn't result in such a strong combo afterwards, but it has gotten me gimps.) The difficult part of this application is recognizing when its the best time and spacing to go for a fair -> footstool over something like fair -> dair or fair -> bair, or even just the safe fair -> fair.

DACUS;
Definitely something worth learning, now that its a two frame window. Outside of the three times you mention that its useful, I've found that its also good to do after something like a tip ftilt that your opponent DIs up (since they're too far away and not in enough hitstun to truly combo, but DACUS puts you on top of them before they could reliably get any attacks out), or when an opponent DIs a close dtilt away.

DACUS after throws is viable, though landing all of the hits is fairly unreliable. The plus side of that is that even when only some of the hits connect, it can still leave Roy in an advantageous situation, with either his opponent knocked into the air with some hitstun or spiked to the ground for a tech chase opportunity. (Though beware that aerial pop outs after a DACUS at low percent can be low on hitstun and thus dangerous situations for Roy.) DACUS can work at kill percents if your opponent DIs down for forward throw incorrectly, though it has to be pretty hard DI, and I'm not entirely sure what characters/percents it will work on.

Another interesting thing to note is that DACUS 100% blows up crouch cancelling, due to its fairly strong multihit nature. Not something to be over-relied on, since apt opponents can react to you coming in with the DACUS with any attack due to its short range, but something to keep in mind if your opponent is CCing often.

BReverse/Wavebouncing/RaR;BReversing; definitely useful for coming down onto the stage from above, switching up where you're going to land in a similar style to snake grenade BReverses. BReverse sideB is very useful in neutral as a way to instantly turn around at any point in a dash/run, cutting out some of the frames that would be necessary to turn around even in a dash dance. Lunchables has gotten some use out of running behind opponents and then BReversing nB at their back as a sort of kill opportunity that isn't as unsafe as fsmash, but thats a fairly niche use.
One of the biggest uses of BReverse sideB, though, is using it to back off and get back to the stage faster after jumping out to edgeguard opponents. Since it completely reverses your momentum, you can do stuff like full hop out with a fair, wait a bit and double jump fair out more, still completely holding away from the stage, and then breverse to ride that momentum back towards the stage and reach the ledge with upB.

Wavebounce aerial sideBs seem like they have some promise, especially against the bigger/taller members of the cast, who are more likely to get hit by the aerial sideB.

RARing is pretty good with Roy, since thats another way to sneak bairs in. Also useful for some situations with using uair to pressure platforms/aerial opponets and other niche uses like retreating with a nair. RAR wavedashes to grab the ledge, though, are extremely important and potent. Something that 100% of the people that play PM should be doing.

Glide Tossing;
Can be situationally useful, but obviously only when playing against characters with items. Pretty important in 3.02 where Diddy was a character that you had to train against, but less so now that he's a less common character. Fun stuff, but useless unless you run into a ROB/Link/TLink/Peach/Diddy/Snake.
Just as important as actual glide tossing, though, is learning to pick up items with airdodge/wavedashes. Especially useful against Diddy, since you can just move over any banana on the ground and take it for yourself. You can also instantly cancel any airdodge where you pick up an item into an item throw by simply pressing the A button, which is a great way to throw items right back at someone lugging them at you, or instant throwing an item thats on the ground.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I don't think footstooling is THAT important. You should all just forget about it. Please.
(Also, wow, this thread is actually amazing. I'm learning.)

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
So I backed up the next discussion a week (read the edit). It'll be on the 28th now for anyone looking to drop by. Thanks again everybody for all of the contributions!

Taytertot

Smash Ace
As far as GT is concerned. I've got a match that shows the applications quite well, though it is a brawl match. Despite that it is brawl and not PM I think the application is exactly the same. (this is my first time linking a video at a specific point so i hope this works. Let me know if it doesnt because this is supposed to link to 26:21 and the GT use by marth comes fairly shortly afterward)
http://youtu.be/5gU4kzR018o?t=26m21s

Another great brawl match for seeing uses of GT is apex 2013 grand finals salem's ZSS vs M2K's MK or salem vs dojo apex 2013. (i'll link it if you guys want me to)

Also, when i played brawl competitively (before getting into PM) I played marth and I found a fair amount of use using RAR dair because marth's dair (and roy's as well in PM i think) has a farther horizontal reach behind him and therefore gave better opportunities for getting that tipper (although roy's doesnt have the spike on the tipper i think the semi-spike tipper would be useful and certainly easier to hit with the back side).

Last edited:

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Do you guys think there is any possibility that we can get this sticky'd? The content in this thread is not only useful to current Roys, but future Roys as well.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I very much agree. This shouldn't be missed by those new or old to roy because it can make a huge difference, especially since there are still many melee players who come into PM not knowing any of this exists, which is unfortunate, but also useful for our fellow roys who know how to use these ATs vs players who are unaware.

Top Bottom