• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Side-B animation got sped up and has invincibility frames upon grab!!!

MajorGamer14

Smash Cadet
While you guys are busy looking at Bowser's U-Throw, I found out his Flying Slam animation is around 20% faster.

Also, he has invincibility frames up until he leaves the ground!!
! I threw a Bob-omb in the air and I failed to take damage, while I got blasted in the previous version.

Last edited:

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
It looked faster but I wasn't sure. Can anyone truly confirm this?

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Not bad but it doesn't mean anything in 1v1, only in FFA and teams play. Well, there are rare instances where say, Luma could get Rosa out of side b that might be resolved now. And getting hit by Bowser Jr's Mechakoopa during startup would also not stop it now. Same with Link's Boomerang or bomb, depending on the timing. But generally this won't mean much. It's a change for the sake of casual players I think.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Yeah, it's almost certainly faster. It physically threw me off guard so bad in FG just now as I don't use the move wholly often so I never got to testing it. I dunno about invincible frames, but it's certainly an awesome touch if it does have them.

Not bad but it doesn't mean anything in 1v1, only in FFA and teams play. Well, there are rare instances where say, Luma could get Rosa out of side b that might be resolved now. And getting hit by Bowser Jr's Mechakoopa during startup would also not stop it now. Same with Link's Boomerang or bomb, depending on the timing. But generally this won't mean much. It's a change for the sake of casual players I think.
Not wholly true - it gives foes less time to react to readjusting it, plus since the move takes less time you can kill faster with it incase the timer is hounding you. I think that's the main 2 positives to it.

Last edited:

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
On the subject of Side-B, seems the stages where a Bowsercide ends in a double KO have changed. I originally thought Bowser was ALWAYS going to die first after testing a few stages (FD and Galaxy Omega), but Dreamland 64 and Duck Hunt have led to a double KO consistently.

I'll check into this a bit more.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of Side-B, seems the stages where a Bowsercide ends in a double KO have changed. I originally thought Bowser was ALWAYS going to die first after testing a few stages (FD and Galaxy Omega), but Dreamland 64 and Duck Hunt have led to a double KO consistently.

I'll check into this a bit more.
This was changed last patch. All stages can now kill or tie. There are probably some hidden variables at play that makes one more likely but we really have no idea what the pattern is.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
This was changed last patch. All stages can now kill or tie. There are probably some hidden variables at play that makes one more likely but we really have no idea what the pattern is.
Well so far I've found Dreamland 64, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Duck Hunt Omega, and Delfino Omega to be consistent with Double K.O. and everywhere else (neutral/CP) having Bowser dying first consistently.

Just tossing that out there.

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Well so far I've found Dreamland 64, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Duck Hunt Omega, and Delfino Omega to be consistent with Double K.O. and everywhere else (neutral/CP) having Bowser dying first consistently.

Just tossing that out there.
I recommend trying it dozens of times with different characters at different percentages. It took me like almost a hundred tries to get battlefield to actually tie.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The animation of the slam itself is indeed much faster. This is actually a pretty decent buff, since your opponent has a lot less time to react to and manipulate your landing spot.

I find it much easier to manipulate Bowser into landing ontop of platforms now.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
The animation of the slam itself is indeed much faster. This is actually a pretty decent buff, since your opponent has a lot less time to react to and manipulate your landing spot.

I find it much easier to manipulate Bowser into landing ontop of platforms now.
I'm finding this too.

Hoping more stages result in sudden death now.

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
The new klaw animation startled me when I landed it for the first time in a match. Sorta jank looking.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
We shouldn't be so quick to condemn it's value in 1v1.

For the duck hunt and villager match-ups at least I already see it having potential. It's worth exploring since it's there, we may be surprised.

Edit: by the way, exactly when do the I frames begin? Because if it's literally from the instant you grab them then that might actually be seriously good.

Last edited:

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
the side b changes does help bowser in certain MU such as villager since now if you predict him to use his rocket you can grab him with side b as he is shooting the rocket then when the rocket is released it wont interrupt you like how it will in pre patch

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
the side b changes does help bowser in certain MU such as villager since now if you predict him to use his rocket you can grab him with side b as he is shooting the rocket then when the rocket is released it wont interrupt you like how it will in pre patch
Yeah this changes that matchup significantly depending how generous the invincibility frames are. J Jerodak Don't know that we have specific numbers for them yet...

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
Cause if it's from the very instant of the grab, that would mean it's impossible to trade with it, right? Like grab armor but better, sounds kinda fair, considering all the other nerfs to side b so far. I guess one way to test would be to try trading with other attacks, if attacks can trade with it, then we know the I frames are at least 1 frame after the grab connects. That being said, I'd be fine If it wasn't the case, but it's better to know now than later I guess.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
Cause if it's from the very instant of the grab, that would mean it's impossible to trade with it, right? Like grab armor but better, sounds kinda fair, considering all the other nerfs to side b so far. I guess one way to test would be to try trading with other attacks, if attacks can trade with it, then we know the I frames are at least 1 frame after the grab connects. That being said, I'd be fine If it wasn't the case, but it's better to know now than later I guess.
The invincibility happens after you grab someone so you cant get interrupted after you grab them

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I recommend trying it dozens of times with different characters at different percentages. It took me like almost a hundred tries to get battlefield to actually tie.
I've not had a chance to thoroughly test this yet, but it feels like players brought over the edge on Bowsercide are now popping up higher for a moment after Bowser hits the blast zone.

...Or maybe I just played two separet players who happened to know when to jump?

_Rated D.R.K_

Smash Apprentice
The animation for Klaw is so lol. It reminds me of EX version of Zangief's SPD in Street Fighter 4. Was not ready for that change.

Top Bottom