• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowsers at SDCC

Hong

The Strongest
I'm hoping someone uploads the Grand finals matches and the ones of a Bowser 4-stocking a Sheik and TL. I'm looking forward to watching it from time to time whenever it happens.
I've already made a timecode for it here, from the video thread on the Wii U forum.

Edit - Above works, too.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think there is definitely a bit of exaggeration going on with bowser, but he is definitely very viable this time around, and i think he'll end up being like space animals in previous games, where everyone picks up bowser for tournaments because hes an (apparently) easy character to use
I don't even think it'll come to that.

I think you'll see support for Bowser fall away as people learn to counter him, leaving primarily the Bowser die-hards to push him to the next level.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I think there is definitely a bit of exaggeration going on with bowser, but he is definitely very viable this time around, and i think he'll end up being like space animals in previous games, where everyone picks up bowser for tournaments because hes an (apparently) easy character to use
Space animals?

Easy?

Okay.

Anyway, I like Bowser, happy to see him revamped and well done to everyone at the tournament.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to pop in here and congratulate you guys for last night. It's been a long-time coming and I'm sure this is only the beginning.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Bowser undoubtedly looks beastly.

However, I would think projectile heavy characters like Link and Samus would hard counter the Koopa King. Evade and camp like that punkass Sheik. But since Link and Samus have a better ranged game than Sheik, they would fair better in this match up. In theory.

I noticed the Toon Link's hardly utilized their bombs, boomeranges and z airs for spacing. That would've assuredly helped in avoiding Bowser's powerful aerials and tilts.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I was at the tournament and let me tell you, as powerful as he looks, he FEELS even more powerful. I played as Kirby because his floaty mobility seemed like one of the only ways to counter Bowser. Ironically, I eventually got kicked from winners bracket by a Bowser and then got eliminated from losers bracket by a Bowser.

I'm telling you, the hype is pretty real in this build of the game.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I'm excited and also apprehensive of how many people are interpreting Bowser's dominance in the finals for SDCC. Many people around the forum have stated it best: Holland and Medina were great at reads. The crux of Bowser's game-plan hasn't changed too much since Brawl, at least from what we've seen in the finals. People will figure out Bowser's boxing range and will predict his favorite followups. Once that happens, Bowser is left with sub-par ground approach and a limited projectile poke. Bowser must bank on forcing a proper rock-paper-scissors after closing some distance. Our greatest boon is that Sakurai gave us two beautiful tools: our increased power all around and the dair, which covers for our vertical blind-spot just beneath Bowser. It's not perfect, just like Tink's dair, but no longer does Bowser's butt indicate the start of his cry zone. Sure, he's vulnerable everywhere else beneath him, but it sure beats not having anything. Looking forward to more info and analysis from people that went to SDCC. Zigsta, Halfhead, lookin at you both.

Thanks, Halfhead, for repping Kirby all the way into the 1v1s. I can't imagine how crazy the FFAs were. As I explained it to my friends, it seemed like Dragon Ball elimination rounds hahaha.

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
People keep forgetting Bowser's new nair hits below him, no need for dair when you have that.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
People keep forgetting Bowser's new nair hits below him, no need for dair when you have that.
Speaking of which, did you see Holland's awesome neutral air to up tilt against :4tlink:? I was laughing hysterically at that point.

For the dair, I was more referring to the point that it now has incredible potential, to the point that it can reach tall characters, or characters extending their hurtbox too far up, beneath Battlefield's platforms. Have mercy, Sakurai.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm excited and also apprehensive of how many people are interpreting Bowser's dominance in the finals for SDCC. Many people around the forum have stated it best: Holland and Medina were great at reads. The crux of Bowser's game-plan hasn't changed too much since Brawl, at least from what we've seen in the finals. People will figure out Bowser's boxing range and will predict his favorite followups. Once that happens, Bowser is left with sub-par ground approach and a limited projectile poke. Bowser must bank on forcing a proper rock-paper-scissors after closing some distance. Our greatest boon is that Sakurai gave us two beautiful tools: our increased power all around and the dair, which covers for our vertical blind-spot just beneath Bowser. It's not perfect, just like Tink's dair, but no longer does Bowser's butt indicate the start of his cry zone. Sure, he's vulnerable everywhere else beneath him, but it sure beats not having anything. Looking forward to more info and analysis from people that went to SDCC. Zigsta, Halfhead, lookin at you both.

Thanks, Halfhead, for repping Kirby all the way into the 1v1s. I can't imagine how crazy the FFAs were. As I explained it to my friends, it seemed like Dragon Ball elimination rounds hahaha.
I highly doubt Bowser would make it into higher tier once a meta is established, unless he gets some cheeze mechanic like a chaingrab or infinite. What I'm worried about is Nintendo interpreting his high usage at the tournament as a need to nerf him in some way.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I highly doubt Bowser would make it into higher tier once a meta is established, unless he gets some cheeze mechanic like a chaingrab or infinite. What I'm worried about is Nintendo interpreting his high usage at the tournament as a need to nerf him in some way.
That's what I was saying, sans Nintendo nerfing Bowser. Bowser's options are going to be limited just like they were before, and unless those options happen to be dominant in taking down something else that pops up in the meta, we'll likely see tournament results drive Bowser down in tier. I'm excited to see how the full roster will expand on this. I don't want to think about Nintendo nerfing Bowser...

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I was looking at knockback on throws and Bowser's bthrow MIGHT be able to CG for like 1-2 throws. Maybe just on heavies, maybe not at all, but it might work.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Bowser undoubtedly looks beastly.

However, I would think projectile heavy characters like Link and Samus would hard counter the Koopa King. Evade and camp like that punkass Sheik. But since Link and Samus have a better ranged game than Sheik, they would fair better in this match up. In theory.

I noticed the Toon Link's hardly utilized their bombs, boomeranges and z airs for spacing. That would've assuredly helped in avoiding Bowser's powerful aerials and tilts.
Exactly.

TLink was still trying to fight Brawl Bowser where he could just get in his face and pepper him, but as I said, this is a completely different beast, and one that's not going to succumb to that strategy any longer.

I predict projectile camping Bowser will be the best strategy to fighting him (and DK), but that Bowser will have the tools to deal with it. He's faster and more agile, but the real ace in the hole is the fact that he's incredibly dangerous if he's actually allowed to close.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
What looks to really be improved is the basis of everything that is important. Movement. Bowser's movement actually looks a lot less clunky here! I think this will definitely prevent him from falling into the bottom tiers again, at the very least. He has the kill power and the potential to be low-mid, so I look forward to playing him.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I honestly doubt that Bowser will be nerfed, I do recall Sakurai mentioning that Wiifit trainer was strong against characters like Bowser, and she's very likely not the only one. Bowser did well in the 3ds even for a few reasons. First, the format of the tournament was highly favorable to Bowser's moveset, FFA items on with time-based matches where K.O - Falls were the win condition. Experienced players would recognize this and use Bowser since he'd already been shown to be strong in FFA games at E3. Second, there were the players using him, the two guys at grand finals probably could have gotten there with any characters, but they picked Bowser because he simply worked the best in the format. Finally, why they stuck with him in 1v1, is because no one knew how to fight him properly. Toon link wasn't abusing projectiles and certain aerials like bair, and Shiek wasn't abusing mobility, Ftilt, aerials, and bouncing fish. Bowser was never a very popular character in any of the versions he's been in. So it would not surprise me if most of the players had never even played a serious Bowser before.

I was at a Brawl tournament recently and actually met some players who were surprised that Bowser could koopahop. Koopahopping is one of Bowser's most well known tools in Brawl so that just shows how obscure he is as a character. Then Bowser gets a major overhaul and even the players who knew how to fight him have to make adjustments. So I really wouldn't be worried about the big guy getting nerfed. I'm pretty sure his current build could make it into the meta since he still has the same weaknesses as before, it's just that now they are easier to hide. Also, I do remember Sakurai mentioning that he didn't like the idea of simply nerfing a character just because they have some good tools; seems like Bowser will be fine.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Bowser was OP at the tournament because he had the best KO power in the demo. Additionally his fsmash and Bowser Bomb weren't punished nearly as much as they should be because a lot of people had a hard time shielding on 3DS since it's a new control scheme. People who think Bowser is OP need to seriously calm down.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I mean you can't really call Bowser OP since he was fighting himself, lol. What can you compare?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I mean you can't really call Bowser OP since he was fighting himself, lol. What can you compare?
Did you see how dominant the performance was? He doesn't even have an even match-up against himself!

lol...

Last edited:

Shök

Smash Champion
Quite.

I saw him fight a Sheik as well. But uhh... that Sheik, though..

XD
This, pretty much.

It's not about Bowser being "OP", but the Bowser players weren't playing against the best of people.

Last edited:

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Whether or not this lasts through out the game, Bowser mains will always have a moment in history shown in this game where Bowser dominated a tourney. As an fellow heavy character low tier main, I'm happy to see a character that people usually overlook actually getting a lot of recognition. Lastly, at least this shows that in mid-upper level play that Bowser is viable and that itself is something to look into.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Whether or not this lasts through out the game, Bowser mains will always have a moment in history shown in this game where Bowser dominated a tourney. As an fellow heavy character low tier main, I'm happy to see a character that people usually overlook actually getting a lot of recognition. Lastly, at least this shows that in mid-upper level play that Bowser is viable and that itself is something to look into.
Actually, it seems everybody loves Bowser. Back in Melee and Brawl's early days most of my friends and me myself just hopped on the Bowser train. When Project M released Bowser guess what? Tournies were overflowing with him. And now in Smash 4, Bowser once again, has come to town on his 4rth around the world trip hype train.

It seems to me everyone just wants to be Bowser, lol.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Actually, it seems everybody loves Bowser. Back in Melee and Brawl's early days most of my friends and me myself just hopped on the Bowser train. When Project M released Bowser guess what? Tournies were overflowing with him. And now in Smash 4, Bowser once again, has come to town on his 4rth around the world trip hype train.

It seems to me everyone just wants to be Bowser, lol.
Oh well. Treat my post as nonsense spouted by a DK player. Carry on

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Quite.

I saw him fight a Sheik as well. But uhh... that Sheik, though..

XD
Haha, that was my roommate Leland. We've been giving him **** about it since the tournament.

He's actually an exceptionally great Melee Marth.

Top Bottom