• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Tech: snapping onto platforms

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
So I was dinking around with Bowser just now against CPU's on Yoshi's Story and I noticed that when trying to jump cancel down b and fair, I instead snapped onto the top platform and f-tilted.

HMM.

I tried to recreate this a few times and eventually got the hang of it a bit. It's a one frame trick but now my Bowser world has expounded a bit. On Yoshi's specifically, if you down b from directly under the top platform and double jump on frame 14 (frame 1 being the frame where the down b animation starts) then you'll snap onto the top platform on frame 19 and immediately be able to perform another action. This obviously would be much quicker than double jump wavelanding. You can also shorthop from under the lower platforms and on the way up double jump to snap onto those (but only away from the outside part of the decline on the outside of the stage, if that makes sense)

I looked into doing this on other stages too, and it appears that WarioWare is another great stage to snap onto platforms. This time you can double jump on frame 15 and snap to the top platform on frame 20. Or shorthop double jump snap onto the lower platforms. You can also snap onto certain parts of the middle platform of Yoshi's Island, but only when it's tilted in certain ways. I don't feel like looking into that as much.

WHY THIS HAPPENS: For Bowser's double jump, on frame 6 his bottom collision point is actually lower than that of frame 5 despite Bowser moving upward. Thus, when this collision point "lands" on a platform, Bowser snaps to it.

Someone tell me if a) this is old news, and b) if this would be viable in competitive play. I've never seen it discussed on here and have never seen Bowser players utilize this. While extremely tricky and requires perfect timing, I could see this having some uses, i.e. catching a Falcon recovering to the top platform of WarioWare and d-smashing him or command grabbing him to his doom, but I'm by no means a Bowser expert.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
This is a known tech actually- it's frame perfect though and doesn't work almost anywhere. In theory it should be extremely useful but those points hold it back.

Last edited:

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
It's called a no-impact landing. If you can do it consistently, it would definitely be useful for quickly getting up to finish those kills! Warioware and Yoshi's Melee are the only stage where you can do it, according to my testing. What's also fun to note is that you can short hop and DJ to do a no-impact landing on the lower platforms. Do the DJ near the peak of your jump, right after you begin to fall. It's also a tight window, but very easy to do consistently, because you have clear visual cues.

Caraway

Smash Rookie
there is a similar tech with melee bowser's up-b that cancels into a grounded up-b if you touch a platform during frame 6 or 13 of his aerial up-b. this no impact land tech, if pulled off consistently, could probably be very useful for aerial chases especially if it could be done on battlefield
example:
BB cancel>no impact land>BB cancel>aerial

edit: tested on battlefield, bowser can snap to top platform if you double jump on either frame 12 or 19 of bowser bomb

Last edited:
Top Bottom