• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser = Super Defensive

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
IMHO, Bowser is the most defensive character in the game. He has no great approach that will ensure a great reward without tremendous risk. He has no projectile, therefore he can't camp, and the characters that do have a projectile can easily abuse this. He has the slowest walking speed, so you can't maneuver around freely with many options. Using Bowser to approach is always risky, and never comes without SOME risk of punishment.

While he lacks decent approaches, his defensive game is near amazing.

Countering
His dsmash pretty much owns close quarter characters that like to roll a lot. His neutral jab is good for spacing and comes out really fast.

Shielding
He has a very, very nice Up B out of shield which can be used in many situations. It seems to have a crazy ground priority on its initial hits, and seems to clash with everything. His upsmash out of shield can catch characters like Sonic and Toon Link and their air game.

Spacing
His Forward B cancels itself on the ground, so doing one in the air with a ftilt on landing is a great thing. Fire is also a good spacer.

Edge Guarding
He can B Down predictable recoverys then grab the ledge, and he can fsmash those who try to attack on their way up since he tilts half his body behind him. His Uair can kill those who recover high.

Recovering
He can bowsercide while recovering which has grab priority. His UpB auto sweetspots quite nicely. If he's in the air, he can DownB to the ledge to avoid juggles.

Ledge-game
He can ledge hop to a ForwardB, which gives you a bowsercide or 18%. If he ledge jumps, he can down B ridiculously quickly to catch those who charge smashes. His rising attack from the ledge is pretty fast.

As I continue to play Bowser, these are the things that caught on to me, including the people I play with. Now I play matches with people who seriously do nothing. Against one of my SF friends, all he does is sit in the middle of the stage and waits. He never approaches when I'm on the ledge and always retreats. We used to have pretty close matches, always near the last stock, but now he consistently beats my Bowser by being overly defensive himself. After counterpicking with someone like Meta Knight, Luigi, Ike, I ruin his defensive game entirely, even though my main is Bowser.

I think the problem with his approach is that Bowser is too easily punished, and gets punished hard.

With all these defensive assets, does anyone else agree that Bowser lacks a decent approach and that he gets royally boned by super defensive characters like the G&W, Pit, Olimar, Toon Link, or even Ike which is supposedly a good match up. His weight doesn't help much if all the above characters except Pit can KO Bowser at 90%.

Comments will be appreciated.

W-man

Smash Cadet
Well, you don't sound very optimistic as if he doesn't have good approaches, he gets owned no matter he has a good defense. But mark that : he has more agressive aerial approaches than the other heavy-weights. I mean, if you use your side-B in the air, mixed with his forward-air (quick) and his up-air (great reward without any risk if done under a platform), you should force them to retreat without being able to shield grab.

And against campy characters... try to corner them at the edge. If they try to jump above, either place a good down-b hiting them anscending, or if they pass catch up with them then up-smash to welcome them on ground.

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
Well, you don't sound very optimistic as if he doesn't have good approaches, he gets owned no matter he has a good defense. But mark that : he has more agressive aerial approaches than the other heavy-weights. I mean, if you use your side-B in the air, mixed with his forward-air (quick) and his up-air (great reward without any risk if done under a platform), you should force them to retreat without being able to shield grab.

And against campy characters... try to corner them at the edge. If they try to jump above, either place a good down-b hiting them anscending, or if they pass catch up with them then up-smash to welcome them on ground.
Agreed that Bowser has no good match ups, but the reason why is because he lacks the approaches he needs.

You can be aerial aggressive if you actually manage to get them in the air, and it only works so often. You'd be taking a huge risk if you decide to pull off an Uair against someone like Toon Link and G&W, and every character can air dodge mid air. The Uair threat is still there, more threatening than other heavies like you say, but it isn't always dependable. Under platforms, it's really situational because they aren't simply going to fall on the platform for you to Uair them.

When you jump from the ledge, you have complete freedom, so Usmash wouldn't always be the best option catching people from their ledge jump.

You can't really push them towards to edge because in a defensive position, they have more options . When they are recovering, that's different, but cornering them to the edge? That's easier said than done.

W-man

Smash Cadet
You're right, it's not a miraculous tactic. I just wanted to highlight that any Bowser player should use his huge size to steadily making them escaping. If I point his U-air and U-smash, it doesn't mean you should use these every time, but when your opponent is wildly trying to espape.

That's why you must try to trap them with side-b and down-b. I think they are underused right now. Side-b to hinder their defensive strategy, down-b when they think they can counterattack you quickly with a F-air/B-air. Then you can react to every situation.

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
I guess Side B would be a great approach simply because of it's grab priority, but you don't have a lot of options when you're infinite jumping and doesn't work well against people who spot dodge frequently.

Yeah, Down B is pretty under used. I use it very frequently myself, but it's more of a gamble when you use it. It's a great 20%, but if you miss, you'll be punished, but of course you can use it to grab the ledge to eliminate the lag. Again, great move, but great risk comes with it, and you can't really use it as an offensive move.

Now that I think about it, Down B is a great move to use near the edge because it can push back opponents if they shield, pushing them to grab the ledge, but you're still risking a power shield or spot dodge.

DiasFlac

Smash Journeyman
Bowser mainers who know Bowser know he gets owned by 99% of the character roster but we find ways of defeating them by playing patiently and smart.

I don't think playing Bowser aggressively against a good opponent is a wise thing seeing how easy it is to punish him for his laggy moves.

W-man

Smash Cadet
It's more about a mix of aerial threatening (with side-b and f-air) and ground positioning (ready to use B, Down-b to anticipate every offensive move in front of you) I was talking about. and if you tell me side-b can be dodged, I tell you it has nearly no after lag. Moreover it is very risky to dodge an aerial Bowser due to potential flaming !

Is he not well rounded at close combat ?

ElectroBlooper

Smash Cadet
He can force some characters to approach, though, if they lack a projectile and don't have range like Bowser's. Bowser has enough options to attack relatively unpredictably from a distance - ftilt, dtilt, SH flame, SH fair, or an aerial or grounded klaw, though I think ftilt is the best if they aren't expecting it. If your friend refuses to approach, the only thing keeping you from doing the same thing (besides boredom) would be projectiles and longer range. There isn't much to worry about in the way of longer range (mainly DK), but there is more than enough to worry about in the way of projectiles - hence Bowser's tremendous problems with campers like Falco (possibly his worst matchup imo). Small, fast characters can also be very difficult matchups because they can punish and combo like there's no tomorrow. However, if Bowser is played very VERY carefully (and they don't have a good camping game) Bowser can also be dangerous to them because their range is usually far short of Bowser's (Olimar sucks :mad:). Take MK for example. He can be very dangerous to Bowser and once he gets in a hit, he makes you regret your size. However, Bowser's great defensive game can make the approach difficult for MK. If neither player wants to make the approach, Bowser can force MK to start doing so with his approach options listed above, especially SH flame and ftilt.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
I know no one likes this move as much anymore for obvious reasons, but still...

Fortress

OverLade

Smash Hero
Bowser mainers who know Bowser know he gets owned by 99% of the character roster but we find ways of defeating them by playing patiently and smart.

I don't think playing Bowser aggressively against a good opponent is a wise thing seeing how easy it is to punish him for his laggy moves.
This is definetly true. But because of bowsers size and range, it's not hard to pressure your opponent into attacking you, while still playing defensively (as long as they arent a character that can easily punish you). Making opponents attack from above you is an easy way to get massive damage due to the range of Bowsers Ftilt, or a shielded Dsmash.

Bowser works very well defensively though.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
K, I'm gonna ring in on this now. Pardon me while I wax philosophical.

Bowser is huge. He's a very large target. One of the biggest characters in the game. He is slow. He rolls poorly. A lot of his aerial attacks and stronger physical attacks have very, very bad lag. And his PROJECTILE (Yes, he has one - Fire breath) is ultimately short-range and results in him getting hit almost every time he uses it.

In other words:
He gets no defense from being small or hard to hit.
He gets no defense from being quick or maneuverable.
He gets no defense from being able to lash out at any moment and suffer no lag or negative effects.
He gets no defense from distancing himself and shooting (Camp)

Yes, he shields. Yes, he can grab. Every character can.
The only thing in Bowser's favor defensively, is his WEIGHT.

That's quite a bit... but not enough to justify declaring him a defensive character. Especially since NOTHING else is in favor of being defensive.

----

On the other hand, Bowser's attacks are strong and can be hard to avoid due to the size and duration. Some of them come out very quickly. And his projectile is generally more damaging and reliably landed than any other character's projectile. He has a lot of commitance moves - if they hit, your opponent is going the way of the dodo. If they miss, Bowser gets hurt.

I see bowser as a Timing-type Aggressive character. He is not dodgy or flighty. Instead he waits for the right second and lets fly with a game-breaker. He uses quick moves at the RIGHT time, and hits, so he doesn't have to worry about the lag afterwards. He's also a big bouncer-type. He jumps into the pile, picks up two KOs with a Bomb or a Smash or burns everyone up +30% with Firebreath (VERY handy if you are over 200% and they are all gunning for you, you can warm up the next round) then flies out and takes a share.

I also see a case for him having an advantage in Aerial Aggression. The Whirling Fortress lets him adjust his side-side attitude up there, he can Firebreath, he has the Bowser Bomb, the Fwd+A is very good, as is the Up+A, and the Side+B can rip through a Block/Grab cheeser on the ground. Rock-paper-Klaw anyone?

Everything about Bowser forces a confrontation, and since he weighs more and does more damage - it is more likely he will win them when they happen.

Bowser may have a handful of defensive advantages that emerge at Tournament-level play, but so do all the other characters - and the fundamentals of Bowser's design conflict with a Defensive ideal. What about casual players? The journeyman? The Block-Partier? These players should be working on the timing of Bowser's offense and predicting the enemy. This will make his natural assets shine.

---

Short and sweet.
Not Defense Bowser.
OFFENSE Bowser. And make that Timing-Oriented Offense, not flailing around like a rat on sugar (I am looking at you, Pika.)

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
Some of you guys are missing the point. This wasn't meant to be a "Help me, my friends keep beating me." type of thread. It was meant to be a discussion whether Bowser is a super defensive character.

K, I'm gonna ring in on this now. Pardon me while I wax philosophical.

Bowser is huge. He's a very large target. One of the biggest characters in the game. He is slow. He rolls poorly. A lot of his aerial attacks and stronger physical attacks have very, very bad lag. And his PROJECTILE (Yes, he has one - Fire breath) is ultimately short-range and results in him getting hit almost every time he uses it.

In other words:
He gets no defense from being small or hard to hit.
He gets no defense from being quick or maneuverable.
He gets no defense from being able to lash out at any moment and suffer no lag or negative effects.
He gets no defense from distancing himself and shooting (Camp)

Yes, he shields. Yes, he can grab. Every character can.
The only thing in Bowser's favor defensively, is his WEIGHT.

That's quite a bit... but not enough to justify declaring him a defensive character. Especially since NOTHING else is in favor of being defensive.

----

On the other hand, Bowser's attacks are strong and can be hard to avoid due to the size and duration. Some of them come out very quickly. And his projectile is generally more damaging and reliably landed than any other character's projectile. He has a lot of commitance moves - if they hit, your opponent is going the way of the dodo. If they miss, Bowser gets hurt.

I see bowser as a Timing-type Aggressive character. He is not dodgy or flighty. Instead he waits for the right second and lets fly with a game-breaker. He uses quick moves at the RIGHT time, and hits, so he doesn't have to worry about the lag afterwards. He's also a big bouncer-type. He jumps into the pile, picks up two KOs with a Bomb or a Smash or burns everyone up +30% with Firebreath (VERY handy if you are over 200% and they are all gunning for you, you can warm up the next round) then flies out and takes a share.

I also see a case for him having an advantage in Aerial Aggression. The Whirling Fortress lets him adjust his side-side attitude up there, he can Firebreath, he has the Bowser Bomb, the Fwd+A is very good, as is the Up+A, and the Side+B can rip through a Block/Grab cheeser on the ground. Rock-paper-Klaw anyone?

Everything about Bowser forces a confrontation, and since he weighs more and does more damage - it is more likely he will win them when they happen.

Bowser may have a handful of defensive advantages that emerge at Tournament-level play, but so do all the other characters - and the fundamentals of Bowser's design conflict with a Defensive ideal. What about casual players? The journeyman? The Block-Partier? These players should be working on the timing of Bowser's offense and predicting the enemy. This will make his natural assets shine.

---

Short and sweet.
Not Defense Bowser.
OFFENSE Bowser. And make that Timing-Oriented Offense, not flailing around like a rat on sugar (I am looking at you, Pika.)
The thing is, everything you mentioned is impractical to use to advance other than Klaw chasing and fire breath. EVERYTHING Bowser has is tremendously risky, which MEANS that approaching with incredibly risky attacks is not a good approach at all.

Characters that can be aggressive with great approaches can do so simply because it's GOOD to approach with. Bowser doesn't have reliable GOOD approaches.

"Timing-Oriented Offense" is a fancy word for playing carefully, which is essential for every single character in the game. Why the hell would you throw random moves out instead of finding openings to punish with. Apparently, Bowser is lacking while other characters are thriving (which is the discussion).

The thing is, WHAT are the fundamentals of Bowser that ruins his defensive ideals?

======

@Discussion
If Bowser's walking speed wasn't so garbage, his FTilt would be his best approach, but uhh... Bowser's walking speed is so garbage. His walking speed alone ruins many approaches many other characters have since you lose soooo many options.

And also, I'm very content with my Bowser play, it's just that these blunt attributes that Bowser has made me think more of his style of play.

EDIT: Not making another post for this quote. I wish I can double post.

It's more about a mix of aerial threatening (with side-b and f-air) and ground positioning (ready to use B, Down-b to anticipate every offensive move in front of you) I was talking about. and if you tell me side-b can be dodged, I tell you it has nearly no after lag. Moreover it is very risky to dodge an aerial Bowser due to potential flaming !

Is he not well rounded at close combat ?
Threatening and Positioning are defensive tactics. Advancing and Cornering are offensive tactics.

Down-B is to catch them off guard, it won't work every time. I would say it's more like a card up your sleeve rather than the ace in your hand, you don't play it until you think you need it.

Side B is a decent approach, but it will not work against Olimars, G&Ws, Luigis, and a few others. Despite it being fast, it doesn't reach far.

It's hard to intimidate your opponent for close combat when he already has better options than to resort to that.

KoopaKoopaParatroopa

Smash Apprentice
IMHO, Bowser is the most defensive character in the game.

As I continue to play Bowser, these are the things that caught on to me, including the people I play with. Now I play matches with people who seriously do nothing. Against one of my SF friends, all he does is sit in the middle of the stage and waits. He never approaches when I'm on the ledge and always retreats. We used to have pretty close matches, always near the last stock, but now he consistently beats my Bowser by being overly defensive himself. After counterpicking with someone like Meta Knight, Luigi, Ike, I ruin his defensive game entirely, even though my main is Bowser.

I think the problem with his approach is that Bowser is too easily punished, and gets punished hard.

With all these defensive assets, does anyone else agree that Bowser lacks a decent approach and that he gets royally boned by super defensive characters like the G&W, Pit, Olimar, Toon Link, or even Ike which is supposedly a good match up. His weight doesn't help much if all the above characters except Pit can KO Bowser at 90%.

Comments will be appreciated.
I have to agree; in the matches where it's defensive Bowser vs. defensive almost anything else, it's extremely hard to land a hit when the opponent is running away from you the whole time... and if you're not careful after a laggy fair or something, the opponent will finally dash attack or dash grab.
but an F-tilt right afterwards helps. lol.

I have a friend who mains pit and just shoots arrows at me >_> so annoying.

bowser has a few number of approaches but has a lot of options when people are coming to him, i.e. he's defensive and there's less risk when people approach him.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, everything you mentioned is impractical to use to advance other than Klaw chasing and fire breath. EVERYTHING Bowser has is tremendously risky, which MEANS that approaching with incredibly risky attacks is not a good approach at all.

Characters that can be aggressive with great approaches can do so simply because it's GOOD to approach with. Bowser doesn't have reliable GOOD approaches.

"Timing-Oriented Offense" is a fancy word for playing carefully, which is essential for every single character in the game. Bowser's no different and it still doesn't change the fact that Bowser has risky attacks.
Bowser's horizontal airspeed is very good (one of the best), and his vertical airspeed is high. His ground running speed is on Par with mario's. Despite his size, and the fact that he LOOKS kludgy, Bowser has a usable offense.

The main obstacle to Bowser's moveset is that it is not very intuitive. Unlike many characters, where you can pick-up-and-play if you know Mario's or a similar moveset, Bowser has a lot of laggy, open-seeming attacks that appear to scream 'Hit me"

... but they don't.

The simple ftilt+A has a big range, come out very fast, and has intense KB. Ducking, Bowser can do a Dtilt+A and do impressive damage from a good distance. The firebreath can interrupt ANY ground attacker that is not invulnerable, no matter HOW fast he is coming in. His Down smash is capable of chewing up rollers easily because Bowser's body is huge. His Up smash comes out fast, has less lag than the other smashes, and has pretty good priority against floatier guys. Neutral A is quick and pretty damaging, it's a passable jab though there is occasionally a priority issue. His Whirling Fortress has 0 startup time and is par for priority with anything that is on top of him, even when being cheese-comboed, and lets him move laterally very quickly to create space from the enemy. The Dash attack is workable with practice, good priority and a quick shove forward though it's generally better to stick and move or approach from the air. Even the ground Bowser Bomb is more dangerous than it once was, featuring a startup hitframe. The only move that stands out as a huge risk is the Forward Smash. And it's long, absolutely huge, and if you connect, the payoff is BIG.

In air, a lot of Bowser's moves DO have Body-range, and he IS big. But an aerial style collision is numerically in his favor; if he trades blows one-to-one with the enemy, he will KO them first. Plus, what he lacks in range he makes up for in airspeed. He falls and jumps very quickly, and his horizontal speed is shocking too. Bowser moves FAST in the AIR. There's good reason he has jumped at the players in every game he has ever been in, since day 1. Up there, he does not have the advantage of range - but being the fastest, he can generally control WHEN a conflict will happen and decide the terms of it.

---

Also, statistically Bowser has a couple of other problems with pure defense.
When Bowser rolls, his roll does not take him as far. Combine this with his large body size, and rolling moves him about HALF the distance of other characters. That's seriously vulnerable. In addition, though the shield shrinks in proportion, a larger portion of him becomes open sooner, by necessity, so his shield loses practical value earlier.

Bowser gets the biggest statistical edges (jump speed, air travel speed) where he will have no defense - the air. He also gets to open up his biggest playbook - all his moves work well in the air (Fortress maneuvering,, firebreath to ground, bomb, Klaw through shield, and the tilts save down)

Timing-Oriented Offense does not necessarily mean playing carefully. On the contrary to both your arguments, a good bowser knows when to gamble on a big hit versus taking a shot... AND some characters can flail attacks all over with no expense, meaning that everyone "plays carefully" is not exactly true.

There are characters whose offense is associated with a particular approach:
range - Samus,
speed - Sonic,
Air superiority - Kirby,
flex/counter (changing to suit the opponent or situation) - Zelda/Sheik,
big attack range- Ike,
Unpredictability - Ness,
Tableturning - Lucario,
Harassment and agility - Pikachu,
Teamwork - Ice Climbers,
Throwing Crap - Olimar,
and various mixes and matches of these.

They all benefit from timing their attacks just right, but many of them benefit from simply using the attack pattern that works the BEST for them and hoping their opponent can NOT react.

But Bowser is dependent on it. His moves are plenty good enough to get the job done, but only if timed correctly. He is trickier to use. He has the airspeed, his footspeed is just fine, he has plenty of hitpower and range, and wonderful weight. He gets almost all the STATISTICAL advantages to himself. The trouble is, if he attacks and misses, or takes too long to attack, he loses. His speed means he CAN attack and control certain types of confrontations. His might means he CAN KO.

And if he whiffs, he WILL lag. Unlike so many other characters, who can take a shot, miss and recover, and just try again, he is wide open if he messes up. It's what happens when he doesn't mess up that makes up for this.

---

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, Bowser DOES have methods to attack. In fact he can KO enemies more easily than most characters. But to do it, you have to use his attacks RIGHT, and that's just too hard for most players. He's advanced, and it's all about timing.

This has little to do with "playing carefully" just like all characters. This is using the assets of Bowser correctly. If you try to play Bowser like any other character, you get owned, and that's why I think you are relying on his defense - because his defense is like anyone's defense (though a bit weaker).

I think you need to get to know Bowser a bit better. Teeth and spikes should be a hint to you.

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
First off, I'm very competent with Bowser, and winning in consistent fashion, but that's beside the point.

Bowser's horizontal airspeed is very good (one of the best), and his vertical airspeed is high. His ground running speed is on Par with mario's. Despite his size, and the fact that he LOOKS kludgy, Bowser has a usable offense.
That's a good attribute, but it doesn't make Bowser's offensive game. Characters with very poor horizontal movement fare very well. DeDeDe is a good example. I never once mentioned his running speed as a disadvantage. It's the same speed as Mario. BUT it's the walking speed that's the problem. It's the slowest in the game, and while walking, you can do anything you can do while standing. That's the reason why he loses so many options.

The main obstacle to Bowser's moveset is that it is not very intuitive. Unlike many characters, where you can pick-up-and-play if you know Mario's or a similar moveset, Bowser has a lot of laggy, open-seeming attacks that appear to scream 'Hit me"
This has nothing to do with the discussion. Bowser's move set style is irrelevant other than the fact that they almost all involve risk.

The simple ftilt+A has a big range, come out very fast, and has intense KB. Ducking, Bowser can do a Dtilt+A and do impressive damage from a good distance. The firebreath can interrupt ANY ground attacker that is not invulnerable, no matter HOW fast he is coming in. His Down smash is capable of chewing up rollers easily because Bowser's body is huge. His Up smash comes out fast, has less lag than the other smashes, and has pretty good priority against floatier guys. Neutral A is quick and pretty damaging, it's a passable jab though there is occasionally a priority issue. His Whirling Fortress has 0 startup time and is par for priority with anything that is on top of him, even when being cheese-comboed, and lets him move laterally very quickly to create space from the enemy. The Dash attack is workable with practice, good priority and a quick shove forward though it's generally better to stick and move or approach from the air. Even the ground Bowser Bomb is more dangerous than it once was, featuring a startup hitframe. The only move that stands out as a huge risk is the Forward Smash. And it's long, absolutely huge, and if you connect, the payoff is BIG.
Umm... yes, everything above is true. Everything you mentioned above agrees with my argument that Bowser is super defensive. Thank you.

In air, a lot of Bowser's moves DO have Body-range, and he IS big. But an aerial style collision is numerically in his favor; if he trades blows one-to-one with the enemy, he will KO them first. Plus, what he lacks in range he makes up for in airspeed. He falls and jumps very quickly, and his horizontal speed is shocking too. Bowser moves FAST in the AIR. There's good reason he has jumped at the players in every game he has ever been in, since day 1. Up there, he does not have the advantage of range - but being the fastest, he can generally control WHEN a conflict will happen and decide the terms of it.
Aerial Priority is what matters. G&W has near the same, but his Bair eats up anything. Airspeed is nothing if you lack priority in your aerials. Trading off hits is only true if they are indeed collided. This rarely happens to players who know their character well and know which aerials to abuse. Bowser can be hit out of any of his aerials with ease, it's just that the pay off from the Uair is too good, but this is easily avoided by airdodging.

I know what you're saying, but unfortunately, his air speed might be good, but that doesn't help his approach if his aerials don't have priority.

Also, statistically Bowser has a couple of other problems with pure defense.
When Bowser rolls, his roll does not take him as far. Combine this with his large body size, and rolling moves him about HALF the distance of other characters. That's seriously vulnerable. In addition, though the shield shrinks in proportion, a larger portion of him becomes open sooner, by necessity, so his shield loses practical value earlier.
It depends on how you look on it. A short roll could mean an easy UpB or grab. It could also mean you can dodge while still maintaining your position. It could also mean you can punish without having to move far.

Defensive =/= Shielding. If you were shielding most of the game, you wouldn't win, even if you were fighting someone overly aggressive. It means to remain threatening and provoke your opponent to approach so you don't have to. Bowser is VERY good at punishing advancing oppoenents, but not very good at advancing himself.

Bowser gets the biggest statistical edges (jump speed, air travel speed) where he will have no defense - the air. He also gets to open up his biggest playbook - all his moves work well in the air (Fortress maneuvering,, firebreath to ground, bomb, Klaw through shield, and the tilts save down)
Chances are, you wouldn't be in a vulnerable spot in the air unless your opponent did something to you. From there, you HAVE to be defensive. ALL of these are DEFENSIVE options. These don't set up anything, they involve keeping your enemy at bay while safely recovering. Klawing wouldn't help.

If you're talking about aerial approach, fortress maneuvering wtf, firebreath is risky, Klawing is viable, bombing is risky, tilts don't come until you hit the ground. If you ask me, a risky approach is not a great approach at all.

Timing-Oriented Offense does not necessarily mean playing carefully. On the contrary to both your arguments, a good bowser knows when to gamble on a big hit versus taking a shot... AND some characters can flail attacks all over with no expense, meaning that everyone "plays carefully" is not exactly true.
The characters that choose to flail attacks are ones who keep enemies intimidated. Projectile game is spammed to keep approaches off. Not all of them are going to hit, but it's a method of keeping people away and damaged.

A good Bowser gambling a big hit would be taking a defensive position. If he was advancing with a risky and laggy attack, they wouldn't do well unless the opponent doesn't expect it.

You didn't give me much to work with, explain another reason why Timing - Oriented Offense isn't for every character in the game.

There are characters whose offense is associated with a particular approach:
range - Samus,
speed - Sonic,
Air superiority - Kirby,
flex/counter (changing to suit the opponent or situation) - Zelda/Sheik,
big attack range- Ike,
Unpredictability - Ness,
Tableturning - Lucario,
Harassment and agility - Pikachu,
Teamwork - Ice Climbers,
Throwing Crap - Olimar,
and various mixes and matches of these.
-Samus fares well with her tilts and smashes.
-Relying on speed alone doesn't win Sonic matches, unpredictability does.
-Kirby's air game falls short because he lacks range and decent priority. Disjointed hitboxes destroy Kirby. Metaknight has superior air game, and he fares just as well on the ground.
-Shiek and Zelda are different characters. Changing in battle is STUPID if you didn't want to fight with the former character.
-Ike also has damage to back him up. Otherwise, I do agree here.
-Unpredictability is for everyone, not just Ness. If you only see UpB Ness's play, that's not his only move.
-Lucario is a great aerial character with nice tilts. I don't see how table turning is a good label for him.
-No comment on Pikachu, I don't know how a pro-pika plays. Not just noobs who spam 2 moves.
-Team work as a label is something you put on a Nintendo Magazine article. If you go in much deeper, it's about their grab game and 2 projectiles. They are very good in the air and ground.
-Olimar is viable as another super defensive, but I can't say anything more.

They all benefit from timing their attacks just right, but many of them benefit from simply using the attack pattern that works the BEST for them and hoping their opponent can NOT react.
Everyone benefits from their timing of attacks, not just because of their play style. I can say this though, Bowser attack pattern that works the BEST for him and hoping their opponent can NOT react is a Defensive attack pattern.

But Bowser is dependent on it. His moves are plenty good enough to get the job done, but only if timed correctly. He is trickier to use. He has the airspeed, his footspeed is just fine, he has plenty of hitpower and range, and wonderful weight. He gets almost all the STATISTICAL advantages to himself. The trouble is, if he attacks and misses, or takes too long to attack, he loses. His speed means he CAN attack and control certain types of confrontations. His might means he CAN KO.
The first two sentences applies to any character advancing. The reason why he's tricky to use offensively is because he sucks at the offensive. His running speed might be okay, but his walking speed is the slowest in the game. As I said before, there are MORE OPTIONS WALKING than RUNNING.

Mewtwo had a long WD. He could DJC. He had powerful throws. He had a projectile. He had incredible recovery methods. He can infinite stall on the ledge. His tilts were ALL decent. He could spike. He had a fast aerial. He could 0% - Death combo the space animals. His third jump had 0 lag.

Where is he now? He statistically had everything going for him, but that's not the way it works.

Also the point about the "if he attacks and misses, takes to long to attack, he loses" sentence, that alone favors defensive ways to use it.

And if he whiffs, he WILL lag. Unlike so many other characters, who can take a shot, miss and recover, and just try again, he is wide open if he messes up. It's what happens when he doesn't mess up that makes up for this.
Agreed.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, Bowser DOES have methods to attack. In fact he can KO enemies more easily than most characters. But to do it, you have to use his attacks RIGHT, and that's just too hard for most players. He's advanced, and it's all about timing.
I never said that he never did have methods to attack, I said that they all involved risk. Any character who can use their attacks RIGHT is a good character. Bowser just has a hard time doing them RIGHT. So... the argument was about if the RIGHT attacks were defensive ones.

This has little to do with "playing carefully" just like all characters. This is using the assets of Bowser correctly. If you try to play Bowser like any other character, you get owned, and that's why I think you are relying on his defense - because his defense is like anyone's defense (though a bit weaker).
Everything you said does in fact have to do with all the characters. Bowsers assets favor defensive options.

Don't assume the 3rd sentence. I brought this discussion because in my matches that I've played all this time, it involved Bowser taking defensive positions. Other characters I use I noticed I could advance much easier. I even said in my original post that I ruined my friend's defensive play because I used a character who advanced better.

Some characters can't afford to be defensive, mainly those without projectiles. Not all characters are decent at defensive positions, it's just that Bowser is really good at it.

I think you need to get to know Bowser a bit better. Teeth and spikes should be a hint to you.
Rule of thumb, never comment about another person in discussion. Condescending is not a good idea. Seriously, learn to respect other people because the people that are better than you, or anyone, do NOT make comments like these to competent players.

Don't take it the wrong way, but this last comment is very misleading.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
as silly as it seems, bowser plays a bit like yoshi, although yoshi has a bit more speed and bowser more weight, they follow many of the same stratagies. bowser seems to be, like was said, careful with offense, much like yoshi is. yet, can pul off a great defensive game. bowser can be either depending on how you wish to play him and what character you are facing. id like to say that, like a tank, he has powerfull offensive and defensive tactics, but in many cases, only one is the best route to go

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
The walking speed that's the problem. It's the slowest in the game, and while walking, you can do anything you can do while standing. That's the reason why he loses so many options.
Bowser's walking speed is a hindrance, but he has quite a few moves that let him get close to an enemy and stop. For one example, all he has to do is a short hop. Two others, he can firebreath, which stops him cold and he can Whirling Fortress, which is steerable after launch and will end in standing posture. Depending on the situation they are both good for reposturing.

This has nothing to do with the discussion. Bowser's move set style is irrelevant other than the fact that they almost all involve risk.
The ability to apply offensive pressure to the enemy is borne of a couple factors.

1. The ability to get to the enemy
This is not really an issue with Bowser.

2. The ability to strike the enemy
This is what I am explaining by going over Bowser's attacks. He CAN strike the enemy.

3. The enemy's ability to defend or counterattack
And this is the key trick to using Bowser; getting around #3.

Everything you mentioned above agrees with my argument that Bowser is super defensive. Thank you.
I don't believe having solid attacks comprises a "super defensive" game.

Aerial Priority is what matters. G&W has near the same, but his Bair eats up anything. Airspeed is nothing if you lack priority in your aerials. Trading off hits is only true if they are indeed collided. This rarely happens to players who know their character well and know which aerials to abuse. Bowser can be hit out of any of his aerials with ease, it's just that the pay off from the Uair is too good, but this is easily avoided by airdodging.
Airspeed matters if you can control when, and how, the engagement happens. If you control 1., then 2. doesn't matter. By deciding how and when the two players meet, Bowser can dictate what circumstances will occur.

I know what you're saying, but unfortunately, his air speed might be good, but that doesn't help his approach if his aerials don't have priority.
Bowser's issues in his Priority stems from using the wrong move at the wrong time, or forcing/allowing a badly timed engagement.

If you jump at the enemy hoping to land your best Aerial, the Fwd+A, you are in for a cold shock. This is not how you win the air with Bowser... not anymore. The Fwd+A doesn't have the reach. But Firebreath usually does. Most often, I will jump at an enemy - and if they jump up after me, I will jump AWAY and Firebreath em'.

Bowser can use his airspeed to often engage foes air-to-ground, and this is the big ticket; every enemy comes down at some point, and with quicker airspeed, it's easier for Bowser to get in that "I am up and you are down" posture. Once you catch a grounded foe while you are in the air, you have every card in your hand.

You can breath, which is immobilizing damage. You can Klaw if your enemy Blockgrabs. You can even use neutral A if you suspect your opponent will jump at the last minute or it's a scramble. You can Down+B and completely break up the tempo of your attack, usually nailing a counterattacker. You can Up+B and completely change direction if the enemy does something wild you weren't expecting or gets above you somehow. You can even use the Down+A, which reveals a potent effect that is useless in air: When it touches down, it emits a shockwave with set knockback. This is excellent for three reasons: The attack is hard to roll around, it grinds so any contact means the shockwave will shove them, and it gets your opponent blocking from the ground more, which means air Klaw gets more effective. Combined with the minor damage grind effect, it sets you up perfectly for a Ground-Ground game; a few steps away, with your opponent reeling back in the low air, just in FB or short hop range.

Bowser's Air-Air game is ok; he lacks reach on a lot of his moves, but he packs a lot of punch. This means it's a good idea to chase a weak target into the air while they are reeling and go for a KO. Generally once you are hurt, you want to try for a Ground-to-Air confrontation, and depending how hurt, yeah you might want to Crouch-cancel or roll around a bit, or use Firebreath or Whirling to force something more amenable. Maybe even try for a Shell spike.

It's his Air-to-Ground game that shimmers. It's his best lane of attack.

It depends on how you look on it. A short roll could mean an easy UpB or grab. It could also mean you can dodge while still maintaining your position. It could also mean you can punish without having to move far.
Most critically, it means you will fail to escape your opponent's moves more often, and that's the reason you roll in the first place.

Defensive =/= Shielding.
I agree with this. Shielding is part of a good defense game, but not the sum of it!

Bowser is VERY good at punishing advancing oppoenents, but not very good at advancing himself.
Except in the air. He's good at approaching from the air.

Chances are, you wouldn't be in a vulnerable spot in the air unless your opponent did something to you. From there, you HAVE to be defensive. ALL of these are DEFENSIVE options. These don't set up anything, they involve keeping your enemy at bay while safely recovering. Klawing wouldn't help.

If you're talking about aerial approach, fortress maneuvering wtf, firebreath is risky, Klawing is viable, bombing is risky, tilts don't come until you hit the ground. If you ask me, a risky approach is not a great approach at all.

Fortress maneuvering is quite important against many foes, because it lets Bowser maximize his airspeed maneuverability. It is mainly useless against foes who are very quick on the ground. Against everyone else, you can Fortress away, because while you are bouncing on the ground recovering, you retain momentum.

Firebreath is only risky if your opponent is in the wrong spot. It is one of the most consistent attacks Bowser has, thanks to huge range and great mechanical priority.
Bombing is only risky if you use it proactively, to try and "catch" an opponent off guard. If your opponent has already tripped his rhythm, it's a guaranteed hit.

Managing the risk in Bowser's attacks is all about knowing when and how to use them. He has a small handful of moves that are crapshoots - The forward Smash, a blind Bowser Bomb. The risk inherent in the rest of them is whether the Bowser player knows what he is doing.

Don't take it the wrong way, but this last comment is very misleading.
First, I want to apologize if you thought I was insulting you.

Second, did you know that in every game Bowser has appeared in, he has jumpred at, or flown at the players in some way? He's never used much of an active "defense" either. He simply wailed on you, and it was up to you to survive it.

Now you can argue that he lost all those games...
But in every one, Bowser was a pretty serious challenge to beat. (and he had a pretty repetitive attack style.

When koopas start jumping around, it's dangerous. That is historic. It's all a matter of how you use your jumps.

Here in Smash Brothers, I refuse to let the enemy decide all the time how the confrontation will occur. I will not only react to his actions. There are times when the enemy is simply faster than me, and I have no choice but to allow him to dictate how some of combat will go; even then I will endeavor to control the engagement any way I can.

You've talked about a lot of good strategies. Baiting your opponent, punishing mistakes; these ARE things that all players should do. I think your technique with Bowser is probably effective if you are relying on countering the enemy powerfully, and not so much Rolling and Blocking. Reversing and threatening are mindgames, and emphasize good timing. It's very similar to what I suggest...

But we have a major logical disagreement on one point.

I say, Bowser needs to attack head-on whenever this is statistically possible. The core of aggression; taking the fight to the enemy. This lets you decide how the attack will occur, and maximizes your options. It forces your opponent to react. It keeps them off balance. And it is an advantage you hand to your enemy every time you stand by and let them make the attack.

And with most characters, this is Universal Wisdom. MOST characters are aggressive.
Metaphorically, statistically, mechanically, Bowser is not at his best when defensive.
He is better off aggressive. Even in his better defensive moves, he attacks.

At this point, it's enough to say "I think I am right" and let people try the difference and decide themselves.

As for the Timing-Oriented Offense;
Good timing is necessity to win with Bowser. Offense is the best strategy to win with Bowser. So logically, Timing-Oriented offense is the best approach.
Personally, I have always prescribed to an Aerial style that is a bit more complex than simply fighting with good timing; but good timing is by necessity an absolute part of it, completely inseperable without ruining Bowser's game regardless of the strategy, and not every character has this penalty.

If your response to this explanation of Timing-oriented Offense is "You must rely on timing, because that is defensive play", I answer:
Jumping at an enemy and making an attack is not defending. Timing this attack properly, finding an opening, choosing the right move, is simply good offense.

And if your response is "Every character has to time his attacks", my reply is:
Not every character is wide open when they miss.

And if your response is "He is wide open, because he should be defending", my reply is:
You are wide open, because you are not using the attack right. You messed up the timing.

-----
as silly as it seems, bowser plays a bit like yoshi, although yoshi has a bit more speed and bowser more weight, they follow many of the same stratagies. bowser seems to be, like was said, careful with offense, much like yoshi is. yet, can pul off a great defensive game. bowser can be either depending on how you wish to play him and what character you are facing. id like to say that, like a tank, he has powerfull offensive and defensive tactics, but in many cases, only one is the best route to go
I agree with most of this and there's no point in nitpicking the differences between Yoshi and Bowser. Bowser can play a defensive-style counter and threat game. Or he can play offense-style. But a good Bowser will do both at different times in the match.

A good Bowser will be aggressive when he is healthy, pressuring the enemy with attacks. Then when his damage gets high, he will kite, dragging up his enemies' damage with fire and ticks from Whirling Fort, swipes etc before hunting a KO using a quicker attack. The natural shift of Offense-to-Defense dependent on health is a good plan, and there's few enemies that Bowser is always forced to react against.

There's only a few foes that I treat defensive in particular.
Against other characters, he should be making attacks until he gets weak and then kite.
Among the foes that I advocate a full "Confuse, counter, kite" defensive play style:

Yoshi, Captain Falcon -
Both just too fast to dominate the attack pattern, with solid Ground-To-Air games. Interrupt with Firebreath and Whirling Fortress. Hit with tilts and stay on your toes, so to speak... If stuck in air, try to catch with Bowser Bombs by floating in as if you plan to attack, then stopping just before and letting fly onto your enemy's counterattack whiff. Crouch cancel/tilt and bomb at medium percents and avoid directly jumping at. If you find yourself above and beside, Firebreath right away or you will eat a natural counter. (Up+B)

Jigglypuff -
Such a light enemy, with terrible footspeed but too quick in the air to manage. Burn it, then swat it. Turtle until you get that KO, and roll to avoid Rest - your body is big, so it's easy for Jigs to land.

Among enemies that he should play a "Stick and Move" equal mix of offense and defense:
Sonic - Too too too fast. If you let him dictate the fight, however, he will beat you silly. Sonic has a lot of commitance moves. You can break up his aggression by coming at HIM for a change, but you absolutely must NOT get predictable. Alternate between good reactions and fast attacks!

Lucas - This kid is FLOATY up there and really good against the air. I recommend getting up there just to land nearby and attack suddenly from the ground instead. When he comes up after you, Bomb him. This will get you grounded in a hurry so you can roll around and fight back. Don't abuse your Breath, or he will absorb it. But use it on occasion, in short bursts, to disrupt him and hopefully make him try for an absorb later on (and get owned)

G&W - He's really fast in the air. But G&W's Air-to-Ground game is SO good, you want to jump just to force Air-air confrontations. You can not even consistently Shellspike his aerial Down+A, he's got a move a lot like Link's Sword pogo. Remember, he is light! Keep the firebreath coming, then tap him one and he's gone- and any time he jumps at you, get up there with him and fight his airspeed with yours!

Marth - His reach is really a hassle and it makes attacking tricky, not to mention his auto counter. But it is possible to heckle him with air firebreath, and occasionally land some chips from the sky once he gets wary of Breath. In addition, he is mildly susceptible to plain ole' ground attacks. Since he gets best damage when tipping an enemy, keeping on him will mess with his accuracy and reduce his damage and Knockback. So, alternate smartly. Try running at him, and short-hopping into a Down+A - or Neutral A if he hops back a lot. To make him come to you, use the Fire breath, and keep it balanced.

DK - The most heavy contender with good Airspeed is Mario's older nemesis. It's not enough to just throw your weight around and attack; the stats are no longer in your absolute favor. DK doesn't suffer from bad attack lag like Bowser, he's got OK air defense, and he weighs almost as much. The combination of airspeed and weight makes DK the boxing match of the century. Go for Klaws and Firebreath a metric ton - Breath is one of your core advantages against DK, because he's a melee kinda guy. He will attack you. Counter him. And attack him back, to force him to defend too.

bombr

Smash Cadet
-Shiek and Zelda are different characters. Changing in battle is STUPID if you didn't want to fight with the former character.
This comment is ignorant. Several Sheik players use a Sheik/ Zelda style of play. What that means is simply that Sheik is lacking in the KO department- an area in which Zelda excels. Knock them away when they are at high percentages and transform into Zelda for the KO. While they are respawning, transform back into Sheik.

This does two things.

1) It usually gets you the Kill.

2) Transforming into Zelda and then transforming back refreshes Sheiks's moves.

It isn't often, though, that a Zelda player executes a Zelda/ Sheik style.

Nonetheless, how is that stupid?

TexanBull58

Smash Rookie
Bowser is the opposite he is VERY offensive at least thats how i play with him, and i will own anybody that way ;)

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
I believe I have to agree with GenoGar; Bowser's moves are too laggy for me not to wait it out and punish.

Although, I dont play defensive and defensive alone, I prefer to mix it up a bit. Offensive Bowser owns people with slow playstyles in my experiences and because of that i tend to use it more often.

But yeah, generally, Bowser is a typical defensive character.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It changes depending upon his opponent.

If you have a small, quick rodent to slay (like Metaknight), then your fighting will be primarily reactionary, waiting for your opening and taking it, dealing damage where you can until you land the killer.

If I'm fighting an Ike or a Snake, I'm the aggressor, but I'm careful to only use my quick moves that I can also recover from quickly. Bowser's tilts aren't typically punishable but can all KO. His firebreath is likewise awesome for pinning a foe between the edge and you, forcing them to push out of it or be forced back to the ledge.

But the best thing in the world Bowser has going for him is the fortress. I don't care if it's not as strong as it was in Melee (I think it's probably weaker from stale move negation more than anything) but it's instantaneous, has an invincible start up frame, has a constant hitbox and is nigh-impossible to punish because Bowser can cross the stage with it. The fact that it can be used out of shield means that at ANY time, if Bowser doesn't like the way the confrontation is going, he can fortress out of shield, slide to the other end of the stage and effectively restart the skirmish under better terms.

Bowser works well as aggressive with PoFs and pinning foes against the edge and he counters most attacks with a fortress out of shield when they try to get in close to damage him.

He's not the best character, but he has more going for him than people think.

GenoGar

Smash Apprentice
bombr said:
This comment is ignorant. Several Sheik players use a Sheik/ Zelda style of play. What that means is simply that Sheik is lacking in the KO department- an area in which Zelda excels. Knock them away when they are at high percentages and transform into Zelda for the KO. While they are respawning, transform back into Sheik.

This does two things.

1) It usually gets you the Kill.

2) Transforming into Zelda and then transforming back refreshes Sheiks's moves.

It isn't often, though, that a Zelda player executes a Zelda/ Sheik style.

Nonetheless, how is that stupid?
I never considered the above, thanks for pointing that out. Whenever I play Zelda/Shiek and they transform, it's usually a free smash so I never saw the practicality of transforming in battle...

Liquid Gen said:
I believe I have to agree with GenoGar; Bowser's moves are too laggy for me not to wait it out and punish.

Although, I dont play defensive and defensive alone, I prefer to mix it up a bit. Offensive Bowser owns people with slow playstyles in my experiences and because of that i tend to use it more often.

But yeah, generally, Bowser is a typical defensive character.
Yeah... also many experienced players who know Bowser can **** Bowser.

When a Bowser beats a Pro Olimar and tape it I will cherish that moment! :D
Yeah... that'll be the day...

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
I like being aggresive for the most part when I am Bowser. His short hops will really hurt anyone not prepared... his tilts help him gain ground. I mean I WILL be defensive if i need to, but I dont see how people can say he cant aproach well.

Top Bottom