• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Secondary

MAN-RAY

Smash Rookie
What would be a good secondary for Bowser? Currently, I'd say my second best character in the game is Greninja, but have my doubts as to whether he'd be a good secondary. I've heard people say the plumbers are good and I play an alright Mario that I could work on. I just want a character that can cover most, if not all, of Bowser's weaknesses, so when I have a bad matchup with Bowser, I can comfortably switch to my secondary.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
What would be a good secondary for Bowser? Currently, I'd say my second best character in the game is Greninja, but have my doubts as to whether he'd be a good secondary. I've heard people say the plumbers are good and I play an alright Mario that I could work on. I just want a character that can cover most, if not all, of Bowser's weaknesses, so when I have a bad matchup with Bowser, I can comfortably switch to my secondary.
I'd say fox is a good choice

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
i think your better of just solo maining bowser since ( for me atleast) once you learn any MU it becomes good enough so that you dont need a secondary also if you pull out a secondary (lets say mario) against a MU you hate (lets say toon link) the toon link main probably know the MU good enough so that you still will lose so unless your not that much into solo maining bowser maybe because you dont like playing him as much as to solo main him then just stick to solo bowser and even if you have trouble in a MU just do some research and thinking and the next time you play it will atleast be winnable enough

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
i think your better of just solo maining bowser since ( for me atleast) once you learn any MU it becomes good enough so that you dont need a secondary also if you pull out a secondary (lets say mario) against a MU you hate (lets say toon link) the toon link main probably know the MU good enough so that you still will lose so unless your not that much into solo maining bowser maybe because you dont like playing him as much as to solo main him then just stick to solo bowser and even if you have trouble in a MU just do some research and thinking and the next time you play it will atleast be winnable enough
I guess that could work though I do think you should have a backup just in case

MAN-RAY

Smash Rookie
Don't get me wrong, if I could solo main Bowser, I would. But I wanna be more versatile, ya know? Like a couple of my friends play a ZSS, and I find that matchup just annoying. Like Bowser will still be my go to option in locals, but if it's clearly not working after the first match, I want a back up plan.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
Don't get me wrong, if I could solo main Bowser, I would. But I wanna be more versatile, ya know? Like a couple of my friends play a ZSS, and I find that matchup just annoying. Like Bowser will still be my go to option in locals, but if it's clearly not working after the first match, I want a back up plan.
well if you really want a secondary then you can try zss (she isent very hard) or cloud he also is good and easy if you really want a good and easy charter i heard that bayonata is easy so you can also try her

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
ZSS is a very high-tier character. Despite her nerfs, I would still say she is Bowser's worst matchup, and pre-1.1.5 she & Sheik had a favorable matchup against everyone (or even, at worst). If you want a character that can cover ZSS, an ideal secondary should also be high-tier.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
ZSS is a very high-tier character. Despite her nerfs, I would still say she is Bowser's worst matchup, and pre-1.1.5 she & Sheik had a favorable matchup against everyone (or even, at worst). If you want a character that can cover ZSS, an ideal secondary should also be high-tier.
who is good vs zss and yet zss mains dont know his MU well enough? trust me even if there is a character that does well vs zss if the zss knows the MU then you better of playing bowser (in my opinion atleast) as for me i know the zss MU well enough to have a good chance in winning so here are some tips you should consider if you find your back to a wall against a zss and your secondary just dosent do it enough

1-playing defensive is useless vs a good zss so try to do some aggresive options alot this will make your oponent play defensive in a way that playing offensive wont work and in that situation then play defensive and slowley push him to the corner and from that point pressure him to do a option and try to cover it (maybe your except a roll or him to jump or even use his down b to escape the corner situation)

2- always remember that if zss misses a grab you can punish it with f-smash

3-dont do alot or normal get ups from the ledge as most zss players like to use down-smash to cover that and if they succeed they can go for a down b and kill you so maybe try to roll and jump more from the ledge

CreamyFatone

Smash Cadet
Bayonetta lol. Seriously though, she does damage in combos like from a Bowser grab, and has tools to keep the opponent out of your face and basically moves like ZSS. Yeah she has some lag, but you play Bowser so that's nothing. You might have to get used to how you get kills with her though. Plus she's all about baiting and punishing and confirms into combos, so it's a good fit in my opinion. Just look at Le Troof.

Also, in my opinion, she's going to get nerfed so I'm waiting on that.

Otherwise, I personally play Falcon against zoning characters, in more or less the same rush-down fashion I would play with Bowser except faster. Dash grab, to ferris wheel of up-airs. Can also kill early with hard reads with knee. Very satisfying.

Alternatively, if you can't beat them, join them! I think Villager is probably the best zoning character in the game. Good for just getting to understand how a player who plays projectile users thinks, and gettting good at the item game in general. Fun mindgames also.

I play a little mac specifically for the Ryu matchup. Smaller body, better frame data, multi-hits, and you can down smash that Shoryouken recovery like a boss. Has some crazy movement tech, if you're into that.

I'm trying to learn Rosalina because the whole "wall of hitboxes" philosophy is familiar to me as a Bowser main, and you can do some cheeky Luma desync stuff.

Other than that, I find Zard to more very similar to Bowser, I'm kind of excited to see any good Zard players come up.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
trust me even if there is a character that does well vs zss if the zss knows the MU then you better of playing bowser (in my opinion atleast) as for me i know the zss MU well enough to have a good chance in winning so here are some tips you should consider if you find your back to a wall against a zss and your secondary just dosent do it enough

1-playing defensive is useless vs a good zss so try to do some aggresive options alot this will make your oponent play defensive in a way that playing offensive wont work and in that situation then play defensive and slowley push him to the corner and from that point pressure him to do a option and try to cover it (maybe your except a roll or him to jump or even use his down b to escape the corner situation)

2- always remember that if zss misses a grab you can punish it with f-smash

3-dont do alot or normal get ups from the ledge as most zss players like to use down-smash to cover that and if they succeed they can go for a down b and kill you so maybe try to roll and jump more from the ledge
I would go Bowser vs ZSS purely because Bowser is my best character and I m not sure Mewtow had have a much easier time.

ZSS can pretty easily position herself to bait out aggressive options and then punish accordingly. ZSS very easily out-maneuvers us and can beat us in Neutral pretty easily since all it takes is consistent short-hopping to keep Bowser on his toes and guessing as to what's coming next.

F-Smash punish would be nice but I would think in a situation where both players are playing optimally, ZSS wouldn't make a mistake like that twice because that can very much cost her an early stock.

Never found ZSS's Down Smash as a troublesome edgeguard, so hey, whatever floats your boat there.

Kerthorok

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerthorok
Mario is very well-rounded and has a low learning curve, which is why I picked him up as a secondary. Although I never really use him in tournament and just use him to get free wins against my friends when they play spammy characters.

MAN-RAY

Smash Rookie
Mario is very well-rounded and has a low learning curve, which is why I picked him up as a secondary. Although I never really use him in tournament and just use him to get free wins against my friends when they play spammy characters.
I'd wanna use my secondary in tournament against a counter though. Like this past weekly I was afraid to use my Greninja when he probably could've helped me win some matches. I guess I'd wanna get to the point where the other character would become like another main for me.

Greward

Smash Lord
I'd go with solo bowser and any other character(s) that you enjoy or like.

If you have to play a character for Bowser's bad matchups, you kinda aren't ever playing Bowser lol.

MAN-RAY

Smash Rookie
I'd go with solo bowser and any other character(s) that you enjoy or like.

If you have to play a character for Bowser's bad matchups, you kinda aren't ever playing Bowser lol.
Like I said, I'll bring out Bowser first, but if it's obviously not working (like I get bodied), then I might want something in my back pocket. I think I figured it out anyways. Thanks guys

Big Sean

Smash Journeyman
Cloud is pretty good. My bad matchups are the ones that people keep me out. If someone keeps cloud out, He just charges limit break.

Kerthorok

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kerthorok
Only time I would ever consider using a secondary is for near impossible matchups like Sonic or Pikachu. Otherwise if it's simply a bad matchup I would still go solo Bowser.

bushaheen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hamager
Only time I would ever consider using a secondary is for near impossible matchups like Sonic or Pikachu. Otherwise if it's simply a bad matchup I would still go solo Bowser.
sonic near impossible??????????? nah i dont think so i can deal with sonic anytime you just need to learn the MU. I dont think bowser has any near impossible MU thats why i think you should solo main him but you still can make your choice if you want to solo main him or no

zao_

Smash Rookie
I've been wondering the same thing lately so I put a few hours into looking over characters and figuring this out. This is what I came up with...

Metaknight is the choice that covers bowser's weaknesses the best.
~Small so he's not combo food.
~Has no trouble landing or getting around trap characters.
~Has safe approach options.
~Good kill options that take advantage of light fast-falling characters.
~Specifically has a good matchup vs shiek and zss, bowser's worst matchups.

2nd place went to fox for mostly the same reasons but his kill options are far weaker and he's a fastfaller, making him easier to combo. However, the reflector is of note though.
3rd - 5th were sonic, mario, and shiek for covering some of these bases, but not all of them like Metaknight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom