• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. was almost cut from the game

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Hi Bowser Jr. mains! Not sure if this is worth making a new thread for but here it is:

http://nintendoeverything.com/one-newcomer-was-almost-cut-from-smash-bros-wii-u3ds/#more-183796

If you can't be bothered to read the article:

"After all we were planning on including so many characters, in the end this pace of announcing them was enough. Each and every character has fans, we wanted to drop as few as possible. About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don’t have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage…even characters that we ended up including could have been left out if development had progressed differently. But even if 1 former character is left out, for the fans this is a huge thing. On our side, we are re-creating characters from the previous title, and keep on adding more, so the word “reduce” is not appropriate. There are cases where we simply couldn’t make it in the end, but on the whole we did a good job I think and the people at Bandai Namco Games did a great job. We had discussions on giving up on something many many times, Bowser Jr. was on the brink of being cut but the staff said “We’ll do our best!” and we made it."

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I don't get his logic.

"About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don’t have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage"
:4duckhunt::4littlemac::4darkpit::4palutena:(Uprising was a one-off according to him)

Yet we lost :wolf:, despite a new Starfox game on the way.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I don't get his logic.

"About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don’t have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage"
:4duckhunt::4littlemac::4darkpit::4palutena:(Uprising was a one-off according to him)

I believe that logic comes from I i think another interview in which Sakurai says he really liked to put in Retro'' characters, thus the reason for lil mac and Duck hunt. And Palutena and DPit are in because he owns those characters, or has easy obtainable rights to their usage.:0

I dunno what went wrong with wolf, DLC probs.

he was a spammy cheap ****ker anyways XD

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I believe that logic comes from I i think another interview in which Sakurai says he really liked to put in Retro'' characters, thus the reason for lil mac and Duck hunt. And Palutena and DPit are in because he owns those characters, or has easy obtainable rights to their usage.:0

I dunno what went wrong with wolf, DLC probs.

he was a spammy cheap ****ker anyways XD
...in what way may I ask? Nothing about Wolf was cheap. If you're referring to his blaster and Side-smash, both are avoidable and punishable. Wolf was probably one of the most balanced characters in Brawl alongside Fox, Toon Link, Marth and Mr. G and W. Not overpowered in any way but had no useless or under-powered moves. Besides, no offense, but YOUR brawl main was a chaingrabber and has an incredibly spammable and annoying f-tilt. So you have no right to complain lol :p

On topic, I love Bowser Jr., and more specifically Morton, so I'm extremely glad he made it. His presence is one of my favorite aspects of the whole game, and my brothers and I enjoy KOing Koopalings to listen to their funny Star KO cries. Never gets old. Plus Abandon Ship is the best Up-B in the game. Fact. No one can deny its awesomeness.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
...in what way may I ask? Nothing about Wolf was cheap. If you're referring to his blaster and Side-smash, both are avoidable and punishable. Wolf was probably one of the most balanced characters in Brawl alongside Fox, Toon Link, Marth and Mr. G and W. Not overpowered in any way but had no useless or under-powered moves. Besides, no offense, but YOUR brawl main was a chaingrabber and has an incredibly spammable and annoying f-tilt. So you have no right to complain lol :p

On topic, I love Bowser Jr., and more specifically Morton, so I'm extremely glad he made it. His presence is one of my favorite aspects of the whole game, and my brothers and I enjoy KOing Koopalings to listen to their funny Star KO cries. Never gets old. Plus Abandon Ship is the best Up-B in the game. Fact. No one can deny its awesomeness.

hm? All those listed characters are the most... bleh upper tier. XD And whats with the jab at my main? I used sheik specifically cuz she was underused(at least online)Thought chaingrab was only possible with metaknight.? And your point with wolf's blaster fsmash can be applied to everything really. I guess all i remember with wolf was the lag. :0

Wolf wasnt cheap,ok. But just unfairly SAFE. Especially in those lagtastical Brawl wifi matches XD One would pnly fo THOSE TWO THINGS and run away. XD

Bowser Jr is awesome though. Seriously a fun little character/characters :D

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bowser Jr. was a character I didn't expect to play as a lot, but I do. I'm very happy they managed to get him in after all as he's a very fun character to play as along with his Koopalings alts. ^^

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
It seems crazy to think Jr. almost got the axe, considering he's the one character practically made just for 8P mode thanks to the Koopalings. He is the most unconventional newcomer in the game with him using the Junior Clown Car as a mount rather than on his own. I wonder what specifically about his moveset or character was big enough of an issue to give his place in the game a scare. Or, maybe it was making the Koopalings as 7 individually-dedicated costumes that almost killed him off the game.

Urrg, I wish he would go into closer detail.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
hm? All those listed characters are the most... bleh upper tier. XD And whats with the jab at my main? I used sheik specifically cuz she was underused(at least online)Thought chaingrab was only possible with metaknight.? And your point with wolf's blaster fsmash can be applied to everything really. I guess all i remember with wolf was the lag. :0

Wolf wasnt cheap,ok. But just unfairly SAFE. Especially in those lagtastical Brawl wifi matches XD One would pnly fo THOSE TWO THINGS and run away. XD

Bowser Jr is awesome though. Seriously a fun little character/characters :D
as a wolf main, i'd have loved if wolf was safe as you say, but he really isn't.

KCJ506

Smash Cadet
I don't get his logic.

The roster was decided in 2012. Star Fox U was probably not even in the cards at the time.

Last edited:

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
The developers don't play their games they aren't fans of their own work. They're fans of the money they make from these games. Therefore they rarely understand what the fans want. Although to be fair with Smash 4, they did a good job and it's a good overall product.

UnchainTheRain

Smash Rookie
NNID
Unchain_the_Rain
3DS FC
4811-7021-2151
I'm glad Bowser Jr. made it in the end. As a character in the Mario universe I didn't really think much of him, but as a fighter in Smash I love his playstyle.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I don't get his logic.

Sakurai has no internal logic. He says whatever he's thinking at the time. You could write a book on the inconsistencies the man spews in his interviews.

Regardless, The Koopa Family is probably the best addition to the game after the 3rd parties and Villager in terms of uniqueness, and I'm glad they made it in.

Sun & Moon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RedNes30
3DS FC
3411-1835-2138
I don't get his logic.

At the time the roster was fialized, Sakurai probably didn't know a new Star Fox was on the way. This could certainly be true considering the game shown at E3 2014 was in an early state.
Also, relevance is just one of the factors he has when choosing a character. He could very well have put DH, Little Mac and Palutena above Wolf in the priority list because of their popylarity, uniqueness, or other factors.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
At the time the roster was fialized, Sakurai probably didn't know a new Star Fox was on the way. This could certainly be true considering the game shown at E3 2014 was in an early state.
Also, relevance is just one of the factors he has when choosing a character. He could very well have put DH, Little Mac and Palutena above Wolf in the priority list because of their popylarity, uniqueness, or other factors.
Actually, before developement on smash bros for Wii U and 3DS began, Star Fox 64 3D was released, if Ocarina of Time 3D counts, so does Star Fox 84 3D. Also wasn't Kid Icarus Uprising originally going to BE a Star Fox game. Star Fox was relevant, also Star Fox U was originally going to be for the Wii, but it didn't work out and now its on Wii U. (Hope they bring Project HAMMER to Wii U)

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
As a huge BowJow fan before he was announced for Smash, I praise every god for their decision to keep him in :)

I don't know who I'd main if he wasn't an option...

Top Bottom