• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr Stage Viability

TescoTrashBoi

Smash Rookie
Haven't seen much discussion on which stages Bowser Jr is good or bad on, so here goes a tier list of sorts. I'm not an expert on any of this, but I'll try my best based on my experience. Will include stages that I personally think can be viable, but as of yet are still illegal.

UNUSABLE: By far the worst stage for koopaling mains is Yoshi's Story. Ban it as soon as you get the chance. The small bumps on the stage force side B to do a short hop off the ground that is unavoidable, can't be cancelled, (as far as I know) and can't be acted out of for a short time. Plus, the big platform in the middle mucks with U-throw U-air and other combos. Can't go under the stage for le eBic gamer mixups either. Terrible stage for koopaling mains in every way, avoid at all costs.

BAD: Wuhu Island and Warioware. Wuhu has the same problem as yoshi's story with the long platform in the middle, but thankfully has no bumps to kill side B, unless you use it to edgeguard. The ramps on the sides can be problematic for cannonball edgeguarding, but koopalings benefit greatly from recovering through the stage and the huge platform of the base. I put it in bad mainly because of the platform in the middle though. As for WarioWare, everyone knows that the blast zones are way too small, but there are other reasons it's so low. For one, you can't go under the stage for mixups, but that's very minor. Side B, in my experience one of the best approach options for koopalings when using jump and aerial mixups, can't be used at full potential with such a small space. Plus, the platform layout is quite bad and seems to kill aerial combos even more than most stages.

MEH: Battlefield, (including Green Greens and Yoshi's Island) Town & City. Not all that much to say, honestly. Decent size stage and can be driven under, but platforms get in the way of combos. Mostly just look out for platforms when doing U-throw U-air chains and you should be good. Putting MechaKoopas on platforms is usually a safe bet.

OKAY: Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2. Getting into actually favorable stages now, Pokemon Stadiums 1 & 2 are both pretty good for koopalings. No platforms is favorable, (guess what #1 is?) but platforms on the Pokemon Stadiums are less intrusive to combos than battlefield or Town & City. Just be wary that there is a giant metal pole at the bottom of each, preventing you from going under, which has duped me a few times. Just generally favorable stages.

GOOD: Kalos Pokemon League and Smashville. Finally, stages that you want to be aiming for. Kalos is like the Chad version of Pokemon Stadium. Almost an entirely flat, spacious stage. Platforms are completely unintrusive to almost all combos, given you aren't doing any offstage shenanigans. Putting a MechaKoopa on the platforms can almost completely shut down jumping onstage from ledge, unless the opponent airdodges, which is predictable and can be punished. Don't know if any one ledge getup is better then another against koopalings, but stage control is key, and one less option is never a bad thing. Smashville also has a very non-limiting platform layout, as it's basically FD, but with one platform slowly moving across every once in a while. At this point, not much explaining has to be done.

S-TIER: FD and Omega stages. What can I say, it's the perfect Koopaling stage; spacious layout, no platforms, can be driven under- there is no downside to picking FD, other than not being able to set up MechaKoopas on platforms. This is the stage you always want to be aiming for.

And that's it. Pick FD, Kalos, and Smashville, avoid WarioWare and especially Yoshi's Story at all costs. Seriously. If counterpicked to one of those, you're better off choosing another character. Rant over, sorry for such a lengthy post but it was on my mind for a while.

Last edited:

peekpeek

Smash Cadet
Yeah, basically spot on. In quickplay, picking FD is vital to doing well. Not only is he bad on Battlefield type stages, but all of the campy players he has atrocious matchups against want to play on Battlefield.

Really, catastrophically awful stage and character matchups are probably the biggest issue smacking Junior down to the bottom of the tier lists.

Last edited:

WiiRool

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiRool
Switch FC
SW-2514-2416-3131
One downside to FD would be not having platforms to extend your U-air combos. And in some matchups it's nice to have platforms to run away from projectiles.

Also Unova is pretty good too, with it being a Pokémon Stadium-like but with more space, and platforms that don't obstruct your offstage-play (and walls which can be nice for stalling offstage when recovering sometimes).

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I agree with everything except battlefield. I'd rate it as bad, worse than meh. The platforms are so claustrophobic for Jr's movement options, and at the same time they give too many options for the opponent to avoid clown kart and mechakoopa.
Oftentimes I find myself deploying mechakoopas on platforms unintentionally.
I dislike not being able to full jump cannonball anywhere I want on the stage, because full jumping under platforms will make you land on top of them before firing, and the cannonball trajectory just flies above the opponent. Plus, you're now stuck on top of a platform. The only safe place to full jump cannonball is the center of the stage, which of course is the best place anyways but I prefer having more options.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
I agree with FD, you have a large open area that Bowser Jr. can utilize to his advantage. he can space and pressure really well there.

Jebril

Smash Apprentice
How the hell am I elite smash when I only pick BF lol. Yeah I agree with you guys FD is way better for Bowser Jr than BF but still it's good to practice on I guess. His U-Smash sucks on BF's platforms only the last hit can actually go hit through a platform lol.

Top Bottom