• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. Stage Discussion

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
This is important and I didn't see any existing threads on it.

What would you say are Jr's best stages? Worst stages?
I find FD and Smashville are fine for the most part.
The Mechakoopa can control Smashville's platform, and on FD it is more useful without having to worry about other platforms to work with.
Battlefield's platforms don't seem to help me very much, so I don't tend to go there, especially if I'm facing someone like Sheik or Falcon who benefits more from them than me.

What do you guys think?

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Think he does do best on flat stages where mechakoops get more coverage and it's generally not as easy to get above him. If you've gotta use a platform, the top one's the better bet simply because otherwise he can be hit from above which means more damage. You could bait from a platform (something I did while pratting about with a level 7 cpu) which would be getting them to try and jump up to you only to be met with an upB. Given the landing lag for airdodges, that sounds like it'll be hard to defend against unless they read it.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Think he does do best on flat stages where mechakoops get more coverage and it's generally not as easy to get above him. If you've gotta use a platform, the top one's the better bet simply because otherwise he can be hit from above which means more damage. You could bait from a platform (something I did while pratting about with a level 7 cpu) which would be getting them to try and jump up to you only to be met with an upB. Given the landing lag for airdodges, that sounds like it'll be hard to defend against unless they read it.
This is sort of backwards in a few ways.

The opponent being above bjr is actually very advantageous for bjr in most scenarios. Platforms also allow you to platform cancel his recovery out of up b making it much easier to recover safely. Against fast characters with hard rushdown I'd argue that FD is one of the worse stages for him. Duck Hunt is my favourite stage for bjr. Janky platforms of excellent recovery options and huge blast zones to allow you to live above 200%.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
This is sort of backwards in a few ways.

The opponent being above bjr is actually very advantageous for bjr in most scenarios. Platforms also allow you to platform cancel his recovery out of up b making it much easier to recover safely. Against fast characters with hard rushdown I'd argue that FD is one of the worse stages for him. Duck Hunt is my favourite stage for bjr. Janky platforms of excellent recovery options and huge blast zones to allow you to live above 200%.
Well there's a thought. I was mostly just thinking of the upper hitbox and all... It's a shame Norfair has stage hazards, the platform arrangement there does wonders.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Well there's a thought. I was mostly just thinking of the upper hitbox and all... It's a shame Norfair has stage hazards, the platform arrangement there does wonders.
Its not like what you said was outright wrong. Platforms a la Battlefield don't do much to help bjr, especially in specific matchups. Smashville is by and far his best starter stage though. Even against slow characters where FD would seem beneficial, those specific characters have tools against bjr. Ganon's side b techchasing is irritating and Bowser/D3 severely limit how safely bjr can land. Bjr is definitely a character where counter picking a stage correctly is of the utmost importance.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I like omega stages with tall walls like Kalos, wrecking crew, that sonic stage, etc. So I can stall my recovery from below by side B'ing into the wall a few times.

And the flat stages are easier to control with your projectiles and disjointed hitboxes.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I like omega stages with tall walls like Kalos, wrecking crew, that sonic stage, etc. So I can stall my recovery from below by side B'ing into the wall a few times.

And the flat stages are easier to control with your projectiles and disjointed hitboxes.
Wouldn't something with a considerable overhang ala FD be much much easier to do that and avoid spikes?

Edit: also I think bjr loses considerably on flat stages if he's up against a heavy rush down character/anyone with mobility, really.

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I see way better jr performances outta FD than BF. At least on FD he can get space to sideB and mechakoopa and pretty much anything. A rushdown from someone like Falcon would only take half a second on the other side of BF, nearly a second and a half on FD. I've never seen big battlefield used in anything but that might actually have benefits since it's large AND with platforms.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I see way better jr performances outta FD than BF. At least on FD he can get space to sideB and mechakoopa and pretty much anything. A rushdown from someone like Falcon would only take half a second on the other side of BF, nearly a second and a half on FD. I've never seen big battlefield used in anything but that might actually have benefits since it's large AND with platforms.
There are stages in rotation there than those two, you know. FD and bf are both kind of whack for bjr in certain MUs. And FD is not 3x the length of battlefield lmao.

Mega Espeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Espeon196TF
3DS FC
4511-0466-9842
I honestly do think that Battlefield is one of Jr.'s better stages. Shutting down entire platforms with the Mechakoopas is nice. Makes it easier to force your opponent into situations you'd want them in.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Bowser Jr. is definitely better off on final destination. Most his specials can't go vertically, his cart is best with room to move, the mecha koopa is good when it walks the whole stage, and canon can only fire in a straight line while still.

Not only this but platforms like those on battlefield can stop your cart from hitting people when you use abandon ship.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I honestly do think that Battlefield is one of Jr.'s better stages. Shutting down entire platforms with the Mechakoopas is nice. Makes it easier to force your opponent into situations you'd want them in.
Literally anyone can grab a mk by attacking or airdodging if it's on a platform. Idk man, he gets some added stage control and combo potential, but not nearly as much as everyone else.

EDIT: If it works for you though keep at it. You might run into trouble eventually though.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Literally anyone can grab a mk by attacking or airdodging if it's on a platform. Idk man, he gets some added stage control and combo potential, but not nearly as much as everyone else.

EDIT: If it works for you though keep at it. You might run into trouble eventually though.
but if you think aout it it's not THAT bad even hen, because grabbing a MK limits the character a bit

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
but if you think aout it it's not THAT bad even hen, because grabbing a MK limits the character a bit
In what way? You can grab an item when you throw out an aerial. You then get a fast ranged attack that does 9%. Literally no downside.

Mega Espeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Espeon196TF
3DS FC
4511-0466-9842
In what way? You can grab an item when you throw out an aerial. You then get a fast ranged attack that does 9%. Literally no downside.
Because if you want to hold the MK to keep Jr. from spawning another one, then you can't use any of your tilts, smashes, or airs.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Because if you want to hold the MK to keep Jr. from spawning another one, then you can't use any of your tilts, smashes, or airs.
That's still not a negative. How many characters have an ftilt/uptilt that does 9%, comes out extremely quick and covers half the distance of FD?

Top Bottom