• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr. "I was wrong." Thread

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Tell us why you thought Bowser Jr. wouldn't be in. (Don't worry, I won't mock you too much :p)

Last edited:

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Thought he would have been an uninteresting bowser clone. Suffice to say, I'm satisfied with his inclusion now.

Shog

Smash Ace
I just don't wanted to be him in because he didn't feel unique and a lot of Marios in the game.
However...
Koopalings? ****ing SMW Clown Carrrr? Yesh. Hell Yesh actually. Look like the hidden boss from M&L series, too.

I am glad I was wrong

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I originally thought Mario would only get one newcomer, so when Rosalina was confirmed, I basically took it as Bowser Jr. was disconfirmed. You have no idea how happy I am now that he's confirmed.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I thought he wouldn't be in after Rosalina's reveal, but then I gained hope for him later on when we didn't see him appear at all, like as a trophy or Assist Trophy. So, I was wrong at first.

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
To much Mario there, I love Bowser Jr and Lemmy but I dont like the clon of Dr Mario, Pit too, and Lucina there over Mewtwo, Ice Climbers and Lucas (luigification)

D

Deleted member

I thought that he wouldn't get in because of Rosalina, so I lost nearly all hope for him.
Now he's here with an incredible moveset in the Koopa Clown Car! A dream that I've had since Brawl has finally been accomplished! He was one of my most wanted newcomers and I was disappointed when he didn't get in. So, it feels great to finally see him here!

So, I am glad that I was wrong! Thank you, Sakurai!

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I didn't expect him since there were so many Mario reps already. I was wrong. I am glad. :D

I also expected him to use a paintbrush instead of the Clown Car if he did get it. I'm glad I was wrong on this too. Clown Car Jr. is boss.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I didn't expect him, but now he's the character I didn't know I wanted. So much hype!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I was against him since he recently lost the personality he had in Sunshine and just became a Koopaling midboss. How FREAKING IRONIC is it that Koopaling midboss is exactly what they made of him. Strangely, I'm okay with him now.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I was.

And I'm glad I actually was wrong about his potential. I'm REALLY glad he have his Koopa Clown Car.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was wrong for thinking he would be a mini Bowser clone. I'm very happy to know that he's very unique with the Koopa Clown Car... and the Koopaling alts are very awesome. I have always preferred the Koopalings over Bowser Jr. anyway.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I was wrong.

I thought Nintendo was phasing him out. I thought Mario Kart exclusion was the kiss of death for a Mario character's importance. I thought 3D Land and World had left him out because Nintendo were trying to move away from Baby Bowser in a bib.

I thought he'd be a crappy transformation character that was both a mini Bowser clone AND a Mario clone. He sounded dreadful.

Luckily; they didn't do that. They went with a genuinely interesting option. They put him in the Clown Car. They gave him military might. They made him a mech fighter, something I've wanted since I saw Porky in the SSE. AND they added the Koopalings so all 8 are seen as equals.

Bowser Jr. is by far the biggest pleasant surprise. I've never been happier to say I was wrong. He looks incredible. Something I didn't think I'd be saying this time three months ago. This is the Mario character I needed. Rosalina was alright, but I'm actually stoked to unlock Jr. and start throwing mecha koopas as Ludwig.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I was wrong *sob*

I've never liked Bowser Jr. Growing up, I feel I've formed a strong history with the Koopalings. They were introduced in Mario 3, which to this day is still my favorite Mario game, and played huge roles and had interesting personalities in one of the Mario TV shows. Even more than the Koopa Kids themselves, a huge part of me loved seeing Bowser as a grumpy single father. It was this side of Bowser that first showed me he's not entirely evil.

Then, as soon as Baby Bowser hit the scene, Bowser suddenly had only one spoiled son instead of an entire family. It seemed that overnight, Nintendo had disavowed any and all knowledge of Bowser's former children. What happened? Were we in an alternate dimension? Were the previous kids taken down to the river and fitted with cement shoes?

Finally, they came back, but not with their former relationship to their father. It's left the entire family in a bizarre limbo state that's awkward and disturbing to try and figure out. I don't know if I'll ever get over it and find a reason to like Bowser Jr. Looking deeper at it, it's kind of sad - I realize I blame Bowser Jr. for it, while it isn't really his fault. I'm only now getting around to playing Mario Sunshine (I'd skipped it before), so I guess I'm starting to learn more about the character and what makes him important.

I never really doubted his inclusion, in fact I had expected it early on. I had planned to avoid him. Funny thing, though... I once had a conversation with a friend about Bowser Jr. and said the only way I'd accept him is if I could play as any of the Koopalings. Part of me wants to think my friend threw in the Koopa Clown Car as sort of a "yeah, right" bonus we never expected we'd get, but it was so long ago I just as likely could have imagined that detail after the reveal.

Either way, the fact that we got exactly the last thing we expected made me go from hoping Bowser Jr. wasn't in the game, to wanting to main this character (well, actually Wendy Koopa) hard. Who knows... YoshiandKoopa has a great point about this move making them appear as equals now. Maybe that's what I need to start appreciating Bowser Jr.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I have a lot of nostalgia for Bowser Jr, Sunshine was my first Mario game, and if he were to get into Smash, I always thought he should have a Shadow Mario transformation. Bowser Jr with a moveset based off his toys from NSMB, and Shadow Mario with the paintbrush.

When the game was announced, I honestly didn't care if Bowser Jr got in, Waluigi was my main choice for a Mario Rep. But then Rosalina happened, and Waluigi was deconfirmed. I thought Rosalina was going to be the last Mario Rep for at least this game.

I still thought Bowser Jr/Shadow Mario would be a cool idea, but transformations were deconfirrmed too. And I did not want Bowser Jr in the game, and changed my sig to show his slot as deconfirmed. I wanted him to be introduced in Smash 5, where he could have Shadow Mario.

Then Bowser Jr appears in the leaks, and he admittedly looks cool. I wanted to play as him. However, that all changed when the stream went up, and his Final smash was shown.

I can admit, I cried when I saw it, it was tears of nostalgia. When all hope was lost about my idea, I had accepted the Koopa Clown Kart, but then out of nowhere, my childhood comes for a surprise visit.

That is the reason why he is one of my mains, not only is he a unique and fun fighter, but he perfectly culminates what Bowser Jr as as a character. His entire history is shown, and he is definitely more deserving and unique than Rosalina is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Like most, I thought he was dead when Rosalina was confirmed. I have wanted Bowser Jr. as playable in the past, but I've never been too fond of an entire moveset based around the paint brush. Bowser Jr.'s moveset in this game unintentionally references one of me and my friend's inside jokes, which is pretty hilarious. I'm glad he's playable personally.

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I was also one of the "Rosalina's in, so Bowser Jr. must be out" people. Should have remembered that the Mario universe is by far the largest one. I was also thinking he would use the paintbrush (and felt "meh" about it) if he ever made it in, so the Clown Car was a pleasant surprise.
I overall like both Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings equally so I was really happy to see them all in:joyful:

BunnyBoy1337

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3265-5888-7478
I always thought Bowser Jr. had a chance. I just thought he would use the paintbrush. I didn't think of the Klown Kar, and now that he's confirmed, I'm all like, "Duh, why would he use the freakin' paintbrush, past-self? So he can be a double clone?!" I'm glad I was wrong about the moveset, for sure.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I was against Bowser Jr's inclusion because:

A. He started life as an unoriginal replacement for the Koopalings, and even after they came back, he still got the lions share of attention despite being a Baby Bowser design clone.
B. We already got Rosalina + Luma, and the Mario character roster was bloated as is.
C. Theoretical movesets all seemed to be based off his Dad, but smaller. Even with the paintbrush, I couldn't see him doing anything a sword or spear couldn't do.

However, I had started warming up to him after recent boss fights always involved machinery in some way, giving a sort of Robotnick feel to his boss battles, and less of a Bowser/Koopaling lite feel. Basing his moveset on the Clown Car and its mechanical attacks was a stroke of genius, and making the Koopalings be his alts was the icing on the cake!

I still think the roster is far too Mario saturated, perhaps at the detriment of other beloved franchises that need new characters, but at the very least, I think Jr. looks like amazing fun, I can't wait to use him, and I'm glad to have had my worst complaints shattered. (If only some of my other do-not-wants could have given me this reaction....)

GlitchyFireEmblem

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nowiwowi
Bowser Jr. is my favourite but I thought Rosalina ruined his chances. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Last edited:

Frontier Psychiatrist

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I didn't expect him because of all the other Mario reps.
The Koopa car was an even more pleasant surprise, I thought he would rely on the paint brush from Sunshine for all his attacks.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I never considered the idea of Bowser Jr being in Smash until Ninka's leak was posted. Does that count as wrong?

Either way, I am glad he is in. He looks like a fun character~

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
I didn't necessarily think he wouldn't be in but his supporters couldn't come up with a better moveset than "Tiny Bowser with paintbrush normals," or before transforming characters were ruled out "Bowser clone who transforms into Mario clone." So I wasn't excited by the concept, but now he's one of my favorite newcomers.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Honestly I thought Rosalina's inclusion killed any chance of another Mario character but damn I've never been happier about being wrong in my life because Bowser Jr was one of the characters I wanted most for Brawl, granted the Clown Car move set isn't what I hadin mind but iI'll forgive it because it's unique and it does fit Bowser Jr, the Koopalings are a nice bonus too.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Never in a million years would I have expected to see Bowser Jr. AND the Koopalings as playable characters in Smash.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I didn't think we'd get more than one Mario newcomer if any at all, and when Rosalina showed up I thought that was just "it" for Mario newcomers.

I thought the most interesting and fun way to implement Junior would be to make major use of his Paintbrush.

And I didn't think the Koopalings would have ever had even the slightest chance to be playable in a Super Smash Bros. game.

Am I glad to have been completely wrong? Hell yeah.

Project Quarantine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ianwit8
About 3 months ago I was talking with someone about characters that we thought would be announced at various planned unveilings. I said Bowser Jr as a joke. However, now I feel like a god going and predicting his arrival to smash even though it seemed improbable. But am I happy?

YASS I'M HAPPY BRUH

Bowser Jr has been one of my favorite characters in the franchise from when I first played a game with him. I thought that it was really nifty that Bowser gets a younger counterpart, rather than just his boring self. I always mained him and King Boo in MKW (hipster4lyfe2014), so I was inevitably disappointed when he didn't return for MK8 (INSTEAD WE GOT PINK GOLD PEACH >:<). Nonetheless, I was jubilantly surprised when I was that he was leaked. I am for sure going to main him because he is ACTUALLY GOOD!

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I didn't think we would get another Mario character beyond Rosalina, and even if there was one, I thought Paper Mario had just a little bit more in his favor. So, I was wrong.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
In my original SSB4 roster prediction I made a few years back, I actually had Junior on it as the 5th Mario rep. After Rosalina was confirmed, I started to think he was very unlikely to make it in. It's a surprise to have a character have a moveset based on a machine (the Clown Car). I never would have thought to see the Koopalings in as playable. Definitely a very pleasant surprise for me.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Considering Sakurai has no consistencies when it comes to character rosters, I don't find it that crazy that he's in the game. I think he did a good job in making him a unique character though. <3 Much better than the clone corner of shame.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Bowser Jr. isn't a good multitasker. Since he took the day off from Mario Kart, he was assuredly getting himself ready for Smash 4.

Top Bottom