• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Bowser Jr. Fair Tech

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
unsafe and impractical, this is a super niche setup

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Unsafe when shielded, but it's not a bad tactic if you use it right, really. The amount of times I've combo'd off a fast-falled F-air landbox mixup is uncountable. It's great for catching opponents offguard when they try to punish F-air OoS, or if it whiffs (-or if you make it whiff on purpose. Dat bait.).

The norm hit of F-air unreliably combos on grounded opponents at lower %s into the landbox hit, though, if you hit the first hit, just carry on following up as usual, as it's not worth trying to FF into it unless you can 100% guarantee a hit, like on characters with larger, heavier hitboxes where you can set it up with D-air's landbox and anticipate their landing and fast fall to meet it.

(Tested D-air FF to F-air FF on Bowser, Fox and Ganon. Hits them all, though Fox is too small and falls too fast at 0% to combo from D-air. Starts working at 9%, interestingly enough. Probably needs more testing, but can't be bothered. You get the idea. :V)

I will say this though - neither smashes combo reliably if at all against most of the cast, and you can't seem to jump fast enough for any airs to either, so your best bet is either U-tilt or D-tilt, since both combo from the hit and have decent followups. F-tilt is pretty acceptable too, but, yeah, the other two will rack you up more damage.

This is nothing too new though in fairness, but any awareness to this little gem is never unappreciated. It boosts Bowjow's pressure and combo games quite a bit when you get used to his 2 landboxes and learn to use them. They're not gamechanging, really, but anything that can push that combo to have a few more hits is welcome in my book! :D

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Unsafe when shielded, but it's not a bad tactic if you use it right, really. The amount of times I've combo'd off a fast-falled F-air landbox mixup is uncountable. It's great for catching opponents offguard when they try to punish F-air OoS, or if it whiffs (-or if you make it whiff on purpose. Dat bait.).

The norm hit of F-air unreliably combos on grounded opponents at lower %s into the landbox hit, though, if you hit the first hit, just carry on following up as usual, as it's not worth trying to FF into it unless you can 100% guarantee a hit, like on characters with larger, heavier hitboxes where you can set it up with D-air's landbox and anticipate their landing and fast fall to meet it.

(Tested D-air FF to F-air FF on Bowser, Fox and Ganon. Hits them all, though Fox is too small and falls too fast at 0% to combo from D-air. Starts working at 9%, interestingly enough. Probably needs more testing, but can't be bothered. You get the idea. :V)

I will say this though - neither smashes combo reliably if at all against most of the cast, and you can't seem to jump fast enough for any airs to either, so your best bet is either U-tilt or D-tilt, since both combo from the hit and have decent followups. F-tilt is pretty acceptable too, but, yeah, the other two will rack you up more damage.

This is nothing too new though in FAIRness, but any awareness to this little gem is never unappreciated. It boosts Bowjow's pressure and combo games quite a bit when you get used to his 2 landboxes and learn to use them. They're not gamechanging, really, but anything that can push that combo to have a few more hits is welcome in my book! :D
I C WUT U DID THAR :cool:
But yeah.
It was previously mentioned in the "true combos" thread that Fair has a hitbox on landing. So this will work on opponents who are not aware of this. However, it is still unsafe on shield and the more people use this against Jr, the more opponents will anticipate this and hold their shield long enough to punish.
But this is a good video to demonstrate the followups from this attack. :)

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
i noticed the closer you are the easier it is to combo
This is actually because you hit earlier. The landbox only hits grounded opponents to my knowledge, so you need that extra time to let them fall so that the animation doesn't cancel before you go for the landbox.

I C WUT U DID THAR :cool:
But yeah.
It was previously mentioned in the "true combos" thread that Fair has a hitbox on landing. So this will work on opponents who are not aware of this. However, it is still unsafe on shield and the more people use this against Jr, the more opponents will anticipate this and hold their shield long enough to punish.
But this is a good video to demonstrate the followups from this attack. :)
I DIDN'T MEAN TO DO ANYTHING, I DON'T EVEN.
But yeah, I kinda agree with that - as I say, it's more a mix-up, if anything so it gets better when you not rely on it. It also kinda makes F-air unsafe to try and punish with ground moves, so it's totally worth FFing if you see the opening. Plus, again, you can combo the F-air > Landbox off of D-air's Landbox on some characters, so it's kinda worth looking into that too, really.

Again, has it's uses, but just like any other move, don't rely on it. lol

18bsouthworth

Smash Rookie
ill try to improve my quality and research for a new video. ive never seen anybody talk about this. where did you find it.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Welcome to SWF, you can edit your posts using the edit button to avoid double and triple posts.

Yo I've been calling this tech "Gutterballing" tell me what you think. :4larry:
Eh, I just call it "landboxing" or "fallboxing". Either way, it's a type of boxing. lol
Quite a few characters have similar landing hitboxes, just Bowjow's are the most impressive by a long shot, IMO. His D-air landbox makes it so much easier to follow up on, basically changing it to an auto-cancel, and his F-air landbox? Well, as discussed before, it combos and is just a nice mix-up overall.

Other characters either have poor landboxes that make the move more worthwhile to keep up in the air, or have neccisary landboxes that you basically can't avoid doing, making them predictable, and ergo punishable. Simply having that option to slam down at any time to change up the attack? I think that's a great tool to have.

i think ill talk basic tech like jump cancel upsmash
Jump cancels make Jr's game so, so much better. JC'd U-smash? JC'd Side-B? JC'd Up-B? All are pretty damn good tools. I wouldn't even call them basic tech, in fairness. (But being a dirty casual, I guess I can't say [Koopa], really.)

But yeah, his JC'd U-smash is damn impressive since it gives the move such a better range to it. -and with the multi-hit properties it has, you can often catch opponents in it pretty well. It is an agressive tech though, so sometimes a standing U-smash is better, if only so you don't accidentally walk into attacks. That, and I've had rare cases where the move whiffs because of the JC. v.v

It's primary use is to just get the move out so much faster. Aim for a place and make your JC aim to stop there, as opposed to start there like a normal U-smash would need, that's pretty much the main strength to it. I also make a habit of reversing the dash before I JC. Not entirely sure why. I think I picked it up from playing Doc Mario. :lick:

They're minor JC affects at best, not quite Fox JC U-Smash territory useful, or anything but they're good ones, no doubt.

Top Bottom