• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Jr as main ?

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hi i am trying to choose my main. I played a lot of character and i made my top 5 but it still a hard decision so i want the community opinion and wisdom.

My choice for main are right now : Shulk, luigi, sonic, bowser Jr and Sonic.
Those 5 have what i look for atm, killing power and versatility and i enjoy the all.

So what i would like to know for Bowser Jr :

1) Pro's and con's
2) Competitive potential
3) Easy, medium or hard learning curve
4) How does he compare to the others in my top 5
5) Against who he struggle

So thanks a lot for your time and help it is greatly appreciate. Choosing a main is hard for me right now but i want to put 100 % of my time in 1 character so that i can improve my gameplay.

PS: before you ask i read a lot of the forum for those character and all their guide i just want your opinion

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Jr has a very quirky mix of characteristics.
He's super heavy (tied with Charizard) but also has a weak point in Jr himself (who takes more damage than usual if hit)
He has interesting projectiles in the cannonball and the mechakoopa, but you cannot spam them easily. Instead, they are meant to cover you as you approach your opponent.
His Side B has super armor on the car, so you can shrug off weak attacks and barrel into your enemies at a surprising speed for a heavy character, leading to all sorts of follow ups with Jr's powerful aerials. :)
His aerials are disjointed so you generally don't have to worry about being beaten in the air, unless you're fighting Captain Falcon or something...
He is a bit of a rush down character, but can also play defensively with mechakoopa and his aerials.

It takes a bit of getting used to his slow mobility, but when you master his kart dash he becomes much more potent. However, you need to be careful with your kart because it becomes extremely predictable and you need to be able to mixup your approach to survive with him. I'd say medium difficulty curve. Nothing super difficult like managing pikmin or the Monado arts of Shulk.
Overall, in tournaments he has potential. Right now I'd say he's mid tier. There are some seriously bad matchups amongst the higher tier characters (like FOX, Rosalina, and Zero Suit Samus) which hold him back from going higher.

It really depends on what kind of playstyle you prefer. I can't say who is better for you.
Sonic is a heavy rushdown character, abusing his speed to dodge everything thrown at him and getting in his opponents' faces.
Shulk is a somewhat slow ranged character like Ike, except that his monado lets him dramatically alter his playsytyle. But it's not easy to manage it...
Luigi is.. not bad. He's good for combos, especially at low %, but his range is lacking.
Megaman is a projectile spammer and one who prefers his opponents at medium to long range.
Jr is a bit of a rushdown character and a bit of a projectile camper, though he does above average in both and not exceptional in either. However, if you are able to use his traits to exploit your opponents' weaknesses, Bowser Jr. will definitely reward you with some handsome victories. :)

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I would say Jr is a character that is tricky and require mindgames, since Jr has alot of trickery moves that can screw up the opponent. if you dont using his tricks and mindgames, jr can be pretty rushed and can get runover by others!

example you can jump cancle to "fake out" the opponent if you think the opponent will guard your attack, so you can fake out many as you want, since his "JC" has no lag so you can directly attack with an aerial or even air dodge.
another example is his Cannon Ball, if you can time it just right when the opponent will land, they will try to air dodge it but "land" and get a load of landing lag, thats there you want to time the cannon ball to hit!

the Pros and cons would be that his clown cart takes 85~% less damage/knockback on hit while jr himself takes 115~% more damage/knockback on hit. so cover up your Jr and let the clown cart take the damage!
another pro he has is many (or not all) attacks he has is disjointed hitbox, meaning that Jr has much bigger rate to win a "Trade"

I was in a Smash4 tourny in this saturday at Närcon there I got to Quarter Finals with Jr as a main. the only real struggle I had was against a Olimar (the Winner of the tourny and the most intense match at the tourny) and a Yoshi which I both lose on with both one stock and both had over 150%

Sonic isnt that hard to counter since he is all about either DownB/SideB or Dash attack. a Mechakoopa will always win that trade and make sonic hurt himself, just dont deploy it when he does a dash attack since he can pick it up!
Jr's SideB can win the trade but it can end up both get hit from the attacks.

Shulk is a tricky character to counter, just be aware of what he is planing and counter what he want to do! Shulks Fair can be little hard to counter since its longer reach than Jr but just be paitent.

will write down about more character and what you should think about

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
You mentioned Sonic twice BTW.

Pros:
Disjointed hitboxes everywhere.
Great zoning tools.
Versatile recovery.
Dair cancels on hit if fastfalled
Uair, Bair and Fair auto cancel.
Side B covers the ground pretty well and can be JC'ed.
Side B adds another jump
Spin out refreshes side B

Con's:
Laggy smashes
Projectiles are too slow and MK can b used against Jr.
Lacks a quick kill move.
Slow grab
Weak OOS game.

His tournament presence is barely seen but I consider him a character with lots of potential and a rare moveset which can throw opponent's off. High mid tier to say the least.

His learning curve is medium I'd say because of how unusual Jr works. After you're aware of his bag of tricks and when to use them you'll be good to go.

Sonic is the better character he's actually my 2nd main. He covers Jr's bad MU's well. He can rush down if he wants and dictate the pace of the match. Plus has a decent grab game.

Jr struggles with anybody with superior projectile game (Duck Hunt, Pit, Pikmin) and ppl that can shut down your projectiles like Rosalina, Fox, Villager. He has some tough matchups but certainly doable.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
add to the list of weaknesses: crumbles under pressure and has trouble landing.

jr's can play as any kind of character. Defensive, rushdown, punisher: you choose it. problem is, he will get outclasses by most of the cast who specializes in one area.
]
the key is to be unpredictable.

Top Bottom