• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings - Match-Ups- Discussing Rosalina, Duck Hunt, and Ness Matchups-

-Grimm-

Smash Rookie
Ness is actually very bad for BJr, Falcon and MK are probably 50/50. People like to bring up the fact you can easily gimp ness as an argument for the mu not being bad, but it's hard to edgeguard when you lose neutral 99% of the time.

And there are a TON of counters to QA. It honestly just comes down to understanding how Pika's hurtbox warps during the animation. All of BJr's tilts as well as holding jab 1 do wonders against pikachu trying to approach with QA. And Tjolt stops side b approaches but Mechakoopa stops Tjolt so you hav options to mix up your approach. MKs also stop QA so there's that as well.

Being combo food doesn't matter when your combos don't lead into kill confirms. So what if you get hit with a bunch of uptilts and uairs? Pikachu's damage output is sporadic and heavily weighted to racking at low %s. By that same logic, Pikachu is combo food for BJr because if you get the ability to start a string at 0% Pikachu should probably eat 30-40% minimum. Pika has good smash attacks but the fact remains that when a Pika is going for kill options they become extremely telegraphed. BJr on the other hand has about 6-7 moves that can kill Pika at 100%+. Pika has to play smarter to get the confirm than BJr does.

Pika's biggest strength in the MU is exploiting BJr's predictable recovery, but the fact QA extends pika's hurtbox means BJr can edgeguard as well (though to a lesser extent). It's easy to drop up B's while Pikachu is recovering and your timing doesn't need to be very precise.

Pikachu wins 55:45 or maybe a soft 60:40 at the very best. BJr definitely has an uphill battle but it's not that rough.
I guess it's largely player-based, maybe I personally just have a rough time dealing with Pika's toolset. It's hard to outright define these ratios because of how much it's based on whether people actually know how to play against a Jr. player. Whenever I play AZ falcons though (#3 PR is a falcon main, for one), it seems pretty heavily in our favor so long as we play the spacing game right.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I'd agree with both your opinion on Pika and Falcon tbh. I feel like personalities and playstyles can completely change those mu's. Falcon I feel is a true 50/50. Matchup is incredibly volatile and at any moment either player can win.

#LOTUS

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this was already asked and talked about. But how in the world do you guys deal with a campy rosalina who adapts to your mixups and consistently absorbs mechakoopa as well as having good DI to avoid any possible combo or kill setup. My little brother got so good at playing rosalina pls help lmao :c:c

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Sorry if this was already asked and talked about. But how in the world do you guys deal with a campy rosalina who adapts to your mixups and consistently absorbs mechakoopa as well as having good DI to avoid any possible combo or kill setup. My little brother got so good at playing rosalina pls help lmao :c:c
sadly, all I can say it "outplay" her in mindgames and aim for the luma!
you have to bait Rosalina to get her what you want her to do (whiff moves, being unsafe etc) but against a defensive one, thats not the easiest to do.

but thats just all I can give to that match up, one of the most hardest MU against Jr

#LOTUS

Smash Rookie
it really is pretty difficult lol. besides fsmash, can i just use an aerial to take out Luma, like sh bair or sh fair ?

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Jab works well vs luma, you can rack up a ton of damage on it fairly quickly and then finish it off with a spinout later.

#LOTUS

Smash Rookie
I didnt even consider spin out as an option. really cool. thanks guys !

Copy_Kirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
anime9090
Does anyone know Jr's second best matchup? I know his best matchup is Lil' Mac. But I don't have a clue about his second best.

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
Does anyone know Jr's second best matchup? I know his best matchup is Lil' Mac. But I don't have a clue about his second best.
his good matchups are vs characters that have big frames (let's jr take advantage of his good advantage state) and poor mobility (harder to punish his unsafe moves).

so yeah, not little mac.

maybe Charizard or Bowser

Last edited:

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
the thing is, I don't think it's hard for Rosa to punish Dask Attack or Spinout (Dair is a little safer I think... probably the best option now that I think about it).

I find that Rosas have a hard time punishing Abandon Ship when it's dropped near them, and that will KO Luma almost always.

the problem is... how does Jr get in to even do that? it's a mystery

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
the thing is, I don't think it's hard for Rosa to punish Dask Attack or Spinout (Dair is a little safer I think... probably the best option now that I think about it).

I find that Rosas have a hard time punishing Abandon Ship when it's dropped near them, and that will KO Luma almost always.

the problem is... how does Jr get in to even do that? it's a mystery
Spinout was suggested as an option if the luma is desynced. I should definitely mention that throwing spinout into rosas shield is obviously not a top notch option lol.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
*Everyone precedes to ignore your post.

Luckily I've basically been playing against just Cloud's for the past week since he's my crew's flavor of the week. Unfortunately though I've been basically only playing Mewtwo though I did pull out Ludwig a few times and here is what I could gather.

-Kart Dash needs to be used wisely. You can't just throw this out willy nilly like in other MU's even as a mix-up. His sword beam can completely cover our jump and dash at the same time if he times it off a SH correctly. It doesn't completely negate side-b but it's one of Cloud's easiest options to stop it. If you want to dash throw out a mech first so that way it can block the sword beam; note that it takes a least two fresh sword beams to destroy a mech.

-Respect his range atm. This one will probably change if I can get a better grasp on the MU but I found that it's best right now to respect his disjoint. Specifically his aerials, they have little landing lag for the most part so punishing them oos is pretty difficult. I would suggest trying to stay out of his range and avoid getting greedy with oos punishes cause they may not work out in your favor. We've had a bad track record against disjoints so this could be the break or make for this MU.

-Use mechs a lot. Mech set-ups are crucial against Cloud since he has not easy way to stop them reliably. He can dash attack to try and pick them up though that's really easy to punish even if he doesn't hit your shield. Like against any other character only throw them out when you are either in an advantageous position or playing a keep away neutral game. My friends quickly realized that getting rid of mechs was not the best way to proceed so they instead tried to avoid them by either jumping or sitting on a top platform.

-His u-air is not so threatening against us. Cloud's u-air is notorious for being one of the best juggling tools in the game and while he can juggle us pretty if we are careless, for the most part we can easily avoid them with smart side-b's. That being said I would not try to go straight for the stage but rather I would try to grab ledge. Cloud doesn't have the best way to cover get-ups or gimp recoveries (though watch out for his d-air since it lingers).

-Be warry of his d-air if you are juggling. Cloud's d-air is pretty good at stopping juggles because of it's range, disjoint, and lingering hitbox. It's not too threatening though and can easily be read, just letting you know to keep your eyes out.

-Were heavy af so Cloud can't kill reliably outside of Finishing Touch since his edge-guarding is **** and his smashes are slow.

-Cloud's recovery is **** without Limit Break. This should come as no surprise to anyone but we wreck Cloud anywhere off-stage. His recovery doesn't sweetspot the ledge nor does he have anyway to extend his horizontal recovery. This just screams Koopaling food, most of our game plan is going to revolve around getting him offstage and though the hoops you go through may be a bit more difficult but the reward is so high if you can just hit him once. Also don't over complicate your edge-guard. I found something as simple as using a downward angled f-smash to do the job quite well. If Cloud's got a LB on deck or your not quite confident you can gimp him, don't fret and trying covering his get-up options instead. Yeah I would be beating a dead horse if I said that we have among the best ledge coverage in the game so I'll just leave it at that. Overall horizontally killing him is the best way to go especially since side-b --> up-b is harder to kill with.

Overall there is still a ton of research to be done so I wouldn't write the MU as anything quite yet. I feel it could sway in either characters favor as more people learn how to play Cloud and given out track record against characters with disjoints I could see Cloud overall winning.

I want some feedback on this Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones and krazyzyko krazyzyko since you may have more experience then I do.

(BTW do we have a name for side-b --> up-b?)

Last edited:

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
*Everyone precedes to ignore your post.

Luckily I've basically been playing against just Cloud's for the past week since he's my crew's flavor of the week. Unfortunately though I've been basically only playing Mewtwo though I did pull out Ludwig a few times and here is what I could gather.

-Kart Dash needs to be used wisely. You can't just throw this out willy nilly like in other MU's even as a mix-up. His sword beam can completely cover our jump and dash at the same time if he times it off a SH correctly. It doesn't completely negate side-b but it's one of Cloud's easiest options to stop it. If you want to dash throw out a mech first so that way it can block the sword beam; note that it takes a least two fresh sword beams to destroy a mech.

-Respect his range atm. This one will probably change if I can get a better grasp on the MU but I found that it's best right now to respect his disjoint. Specifically his aerials, they have little landing lag for the most part so punishing them oos is pretty difficult. I would suggest trying to stay out of his range and avoid getting greedy with oos punishes cause they may not work out in your favor. We've had a bad track record against disjoints so this could be the break or make for this MU.

-Use mechs a lot. Mech set-ups are crucial against Cloud since he has not easy way to stop them reliably. He can dash attack to try and pick them up though that's really easy to punish even if he doesn't hit your shield. Like against any other character only throw them out when you are either in an advantageous position or playing a keep away neutral game. My friends quickly realized that getting rid of mechs was not the best way to proceed so they instead tried to avoid them by either jumping or sitting on a top platform.

-His u-air is not so threatening against us. Cloud's u-air is notorious for being one of the best juggling tools in the game and while he can juggle us pretty if we are careless, for the most part we can easily avoid them with smart side-b's. That being said I would not try to go straight for the stage but rather I would try to grab ledge. Cloud doesn't have the best way to cover get-ups or gimp recoveries (though watch out for his d-air since it lingers).

-Be warry of his d-air if you are juggling. Cloud's d-air is pretty good at stopping juggles because of it's range, disjoint, and lingering hitbox. It's not too threatening though and can easily be read, just letting you know to keep your eyes out.

-Were heavy af so Cloud can't kill reliably outside of Finishing Touch since his edge-guarding is **** and his smashes are slow.

-Cloud's recovery is **** without Limit Break. This should come as no surprise to anyone but we wreck Cloud anywhere off-stage. His recovery doesn't sweetspot the ledge nor does he have anyway to extend his horizontal recovery. This just screams Koopaling food, most of our game plan is going to revolve around getting him offstage and though the hoops you go through may be a bit more difficult but the reward is so high if you can just hit him once. Also don't over complicate your edge-guard. I found something as simple as using a downward angled f-smash to do the job quite well. If Cloud's got a LB on deck or your not quite confident you can gimp him, don't fret and trying covering his get-up options instead. Yeah I would be beating a dead horse if I said that we have among the best ledge coverage in the game so I'll just leave it at that. Overall horizontally killing him is the best way to go especially since side-b --> up-b is harder to kill with.

Overall there is still a ton of research to be done so I wouldn't write the MU as anything quite yet. I feel it could sway in either characters favor as more people learn how to play Cloud and given out track record against characters with disjoints I could see Cloud overall winning.

I want some feedback on this Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones and krazyzyko krazyzyko since you may have more experience then I do.

(BTW do we have a name for side-b --> up-b?)
Everyone ignores it because check the date lol. Now lets discuss bayonetta

Vult Redux

Smash Lord
NNID
Voluero
Lil' Mac isn't even close

Our best is probably DK
This surprises me. Vs DK I am always concerned about his good air mobility, reward (esp from grab), and range. Not to mention his good Bair. We have good advantage, but his is probably even better vs us.

KaboXx

Smash Rookie
NNID
KaboXx
I been playing alot of clouds recently, and from what ive seen his Dtilt beats mechakoopas cleanly. Someone might to test a bit more.

In my opinion I feel as the Cloud meta develops he'll be a tough match up for Jr.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Ridel Ridel - I've only played Clouds on FG so I don't have that much experience in the MU with that many good players. But what I've learned so far is to pressure him on mid range because if Jr is too far, cloud will charge his limit bar and if you stay too close he'll usually start a combo with his superior frame data.
If you insist to zone from afar keep in mind that he needs 2 slashes to beat your MK (unless LB is ready) and a semi charged canon ball can go through it.

I agree that we should concentrate on horizontal KO's since he has a rather linear recover and is hard to kill over the top. I usually punish his up b with abandon ship or edge canceled cannon ball he attempts to recover high.
Jr shouldn't recover high because cloud has many tools to swat us off stage again and his fair can spike. We can also bait him recovering below the edge to gimp him on a reversal situation.

He's pretty good at juggling us so try to spinout to the edges or edge cancel with up b on platz.

I missed the meeting, but they're calling side B > up b hammer: "Vehicular slaughter"

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yeah I got to play a lot more of him yesterday as Ludwig and mid range was the wat to go. Also I found using d-air to trade with his up-b to be stupid effective at some points. I literallly killed him at like 20% once.

So what do we do about Mega Man? I literally stumble upon a friggin good Mega Man on FG and I literally could not move anywhere.

Armistice

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArmisticeMike
Properly spaced multijab at the ledge is a solid option to hit his non-existent snap as well

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Yeah I got to play a lot more of him yesterday as Ludwig and mid range was the wat to go. Also I found using d-air to trade with his up-b to be stupid effective at some points. I literallly killed him at like 20% once.

So what do we do about Mega Man? I literally stumble upon a friggin good Mega Man on FG and I literally could not move anywhere.
I never knew how annoying mega man who as until I got lemon'd out for a whole match, sadly I didn't learn much.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Ridel Ridel I don't have much relevant experience vs Cloud at the moment. Like, I've played vs Cloud a bit but I don't feel confident to talk in absolutes. All i know is mechakoopas and uair can win you the match. That and going balls deep for edgeguards.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion

Nice, that also works with Ryu's srk.

Megaman has a doctor's degree in zoning and projectile camping so we have to be a bit more aggressive.

SH > side B with super armor goes through lemons unless we get a head shot.
Side B > JC > air dodge > Nair is cool if you're sure it will hit.
Try to catch his metal blade to glide toss down > grab. SH > air dodge is a good way to approach through his projectiles and you're able to fair, dair, side b or up b before landing. If u get sticky bombed try to get close to him, but remember that if you block it your shield won't be affected at all.

I like to recover low vs megaman so he doesn't gimp me with lemons or leaf shield. But he can run off bair so recover in a height that if you air dodge through him you'll be able to grab the ledge or land on stage.

If you get caught in his up air, DI sideways and don't jump so you don't get KO'd off the top.

If megaman is recovering and you're on the ledge you can drop and hit him with a rising up b hammer swing right before he snaps to the ledge if you time it well. Run off Nair is pretty quick and can stage spike.

He doesn't have much protection under him so abuse this by juggling him woth up airs mainly as much as you can. Drop an MK when you can't extend the combo longer.

Use side B to punish landing and whiffs at mid range. Use sh dair to punish stuff up close.
@Toxin21

Last edited:

iCeCaKe

Smash Rookie
The Duck Hunt MU is definitely in duck hunts favor because of his long jumpsquat making it a total of around 13 frames of lag before bowser jr is in the air, giving duck hunt enough extra time to hit him with a frisbee or set up a gunman or can. Duck Hunt's frisbee goes high enough when thrown to hit bowser jr's weak spot (head) and can be easily combo'd out of. Bowser jr's mechakoopas are a good tool for getting duck hunt to move. Bowser jr's main approach option, side B, can easily be countered with a frisbee or a can from off a platform or on the ground, and finally, since bowser jr's weight puts him in a beautiful position to be down throwed into an up air and be thrown into DHD stuff.

TL;DR Duck Hunt destroys Bowser Jr and you should never side B when Bowser Jr in this MU.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
*Cue "Savage Dog Cerberus" by Ishii Kouji from the Darker Than Black -Gemini of the Meteor- Original Soundtrack*

Finally, an anti-DH fight song that can paint DH as an actual threat. :3 *Proceeds to get down on the dance floor to it, once the 00:27 mark is reached* X3

True, Jr's overall mobility is slower than that of DH's, despite Side B Jump Cancels, which allows DH to set up shop sooner than Jr can. Thankfully for us, Jr is the Disjointed Prince of Juggles, so his A buttons can dare to challenge DH's arsenal more bravely than some other characters can (like his own dad, who at least has a bigger reward for getting in now, due to UThrow --> aerials), most notably with DTilt, NAir, FAir, and when DH's below you, DAir (last time I checked, Jr's DAir > DH's UAir. Whether or not that's still true as of this patch is uncertain). Once we DO get in, aside from NAir, already thrown out parts of his arsenal, and Jab & DTilt if on the ground (and Up 2 & Down 2 if Customs are On), DH doesn't have too many options for dealing with our Disjointed Juggling moves, especially our brand of UAir sharking, which owns DH's NAir and even DAir (his slowest aerial!).

Indeed, DH's payoff from 1 fully shot-up Clay is pretty substantial, since he generally gets a free aerial or two afterwards (Tipper FAirs to the head for 10 to 11-ish% each, which is actually his absolute farthest reaching aerial that he'll want to use often here, since it can compete with Jr's FAir in terms of range~). In fact, I dare say that Clay is DH's best projectile to use against Jr, also due to the sheer amount of space it controls, the aforementioned ability to score headshots, and how solidly it can blow up reckless Side 1 approaches that do NOT include Jump Cancels. This is a pretty big reason why I've started recommending Side 3, Grounding Dash, for this MU, whenever possible, since its frame 1 super armor allows Jr to plow right on through Clays at the expense of taking full damage from said Clays. However, when you DO use Side 1 Jump Cancels at just the right times (such as when you've spent your 1st 2 normal jumps, and are still trying to get either back to the stage or in on DH when he throws out a part of his arsenal), it can help you get around certain parts of his arsenal (especially Cans and Gunmen), even Clay if you're far away enough to get the JC --> Air Dodge out there in time, and hopefully get you in on DH on your terms. Once you're finally in on DH, THEN you can use Side B (Jump Cancels) more freely & frequently for damage building and even KO-ing with the Scoops Häagen-Dazs-- er, Side B Ram --> JC --> Up B --> A (Hammer), since again, DH's landing options aren't the greatest, especially at flatlands like FD.

Default Mechas are definitely going to be key in this MU, since those, along with (un)charged Cannonballs, will plow through the entirety of DH's arsenal, hence why he'll have to Paradigm Shift in response to it walking around or being in Jr's hands (compensation for DH generally being able to set up shop 1st, if you ask me :p). I've also had a surprising amount of success with Down 3, Big Mechas, since it can not only STILL be able to plow through the entirety of DH's arsenal (especially when thrown), but it can tank a full shot-up Clay and still keep walking towards him, acting as a mobile guardian of sorts that can still be picked up & thrown after tanking the whole Clay shoot-up. DO be wary of DH stealing Mechas, through, and get ready to Paradigm Shift (I personally imagine "Chaos" from the FF13-3 OST (aka Lightning Returns) at the 02:34 mark coming on when that happens... X>) in response to DH either trying to keep you out or even get in on you with it (the latter is what I'd actually recommend doing AS DH, due to how much DH's arsenal has to respect Jr's Mechas & Cannonballs, plus I'm naturally inclined to aggressively rushdown folks as both Jr & DH anyways, hence the above song in orange text).

DH definitely has the overall better grab here, including damage-building payoffs from them (Wait what, DH gets to legitimately land the Checkmate against Jr when he normally doesn't get that sort of thing against most others?? How did I miss that? :confused:). However, Jr's BThrow KOs DH sooner (at around 150+%??) than DH's UThrow KOs Jr (200+% with good DI on Jr's part??), and while Jr's weight DOES make it easier for DH to juggle him, it also contributes to DH's usual troubles with KO-ing folks, since Jr's among the heavier folks in the cast (within the top 10 heaviest, if I recall), IF DH does NOT go deep off-stage for the edgeguard (Walls make this easier for DH) with moves like sourspot NAir after we use our Up 1 or 2. On that note, if we can go to a stage withOUT walls at the bottom (ex. Smashville, T&C, certain Omegas), we can use Side B Spinouts before spending our jumps (including the Side B JC) to travel underneath the stage to the other side of it. Thus, Jr's already substantial KO power in direct comparison to DH's gets boosted even further with rage, so if he can remain as persistent as Justin Wong during the famous Evo2k7 Moment, he'll be "On the board [with] the chance to make it~".

Last edited:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Just her to post the results from Olimar's perspective since we don't have much.

Discussion for the Toon Link and Bowser Jr. matchups is now closed. Thanks for the responses.

:4tlink: is an even matchup.
:4bowserjr: is tentatively a disadvantageous matchup.

------------------------

Discussion 14 - Brawlers II

:4lucas::4charizard:

Lucas Frame Data
Charizard Frame Data

No old quotes for Lucas.

Discussion will be closed on Friday, January 29.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I just haven't seen many, their range is annoying but i ~feel we take the lead.

Last edited:

BelieveInParappa

Smash Rookie
NNID
BelieveInParappa
Olimar ruins Jr. lol

- The damage Olimar deals w/Pikmin racks up fast because 1) if they stick to Jr's face that's bonus damage and you can't really hit them off, and 2) if they stick to the car, you can't get them off because all your attacks are disjointed and the ones that actually hit the Pikmin are either unsafe or put you in disadvantageous state.

- Jr. gets zoned hard

Those reasons alone make the Olimar MU unnecessarily hellish and I have no reason not to pick Ryu against Olimar instead of Jr.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Speaking of Ryu. What's that MU like? I haven't had any real issues with it but I'm curious on others opinions.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I don't think it's a horrible matchup. We can edgeguard Ryu pretty well if we can read the recovery choice (Tatsu, Focus Dash, or airdodge) while our dair also breaks a lot of Focus attempts on-stage. He can combo us pretty hard as well as gimp us if we're not careful.

TarriestMetal27

Smash Rookie
Alright I would REALLY like to bring this thred back up and talk about the Mewtwo vs Bowser Jr. MU. I want to know what Bowser Jr. does in this MU.

Top Bottom