• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BOWSER IS SO OVERPOWERED!!!

Bowser's worst flaw(s) in Project M?

• Total voters

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
yet I never see u that often :? why not make some of ur own threads id love to hear another mains perspective on current things

I rarely visit character specific threads because I never see any really worthwhile information. I mostly just see if anything good is posted in general discussion (lolnever) and just log out after that.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What's some Bowser Ditto advice? Like what throw should I use when I get a grab? Should I even be going for grabs?

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Never did Bowser dittos before, so don't really know what to say besides Up B, crawls + dtilts, flame canceling, and a solid bait/punish game. Koopa Klaw is way better and has more setups than grabs though, but if you do manage to land a grab you'll probably want to use uthrow for usmash or fair, and dthrow to techchase with Up B. Fthrow and bthrow are pretty situational.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Well Bowser edgegaurds himself really hard so just going for f/bthrow can be worth it. And I must say the new dash grab has improved the amount of grabs I get pretty significantly.

I've played Bowser dittos a decent amount but I suck at explaining (or perhaps even remembering) what to do, it was also mostly 2.5.

Upthrow -> upsmash is a thing?

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
I couldn't get past the first half of the first post. OP seriously? You're opinion on Bowser is on how the CPU plays? And the CPU is BEATING you?!?! LOL! Bowser lvl 9 is the dumbest, easiest thing to combo. Wait... That's all CPU's

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Bowser is perfect right now. He's good enough to reward character loyalty with a pretty formidable game, but if you know what you're doing you can beat a Bowser by playing safe. You just can't do stupid s**t to him anymore like you could in...oh...EVERY OTHER SMASH GAME HE WAS IN.

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
Bowser may have been a Mr. Sandbag in Melee and Brawl, and at first I though making him bigger wasn't that great of an idea, but thanks to his new speed and armor, he's become a much more better character. Besides, there are still far better characters than Bowser in PM (no disrespect for Boozer, I will always love him). The real hint to beating Bowser is to wait till his armor is gone and/or grab him whenever you can, it's the same for any character that uses armor in a fighting game.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Bowser may have been a Mr. Sandbag in Melee and Brawl, and at first I though making him bigger wasn't that great of an idea, but thanks to his new speed and armor, he's become a much more better character. Besides, there are still far better characters than Bowser in PM (no disrespect for Boozer, I will always love him). The real hint to beating Bowser is to wait till his armor is gone and/or grab him whenever you can, it's the same for any character that uses armor in a fighting game.
Actually, good Bowser players don't abuse or even use their armor much because of the above stated reason. To better phrase what your getting across, beating characters with armor in most fighting games comes down to abusing their bad habits involving the armor, or, barring that, exploiting their other weaknesses if the armor is too strong as is sometimes the case.
Bowser's primary weaknesses really come down to him being slow, giant, comboable, and slow. With characters fast enough (Sonic, Fox, Shiek, etc.) Bowser struggles by virtue of being a larger, better comboable training bag.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Two things.

1) Do not, under any circumstance, be above Bowser.
But more importantly,
2) DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, BE ABOVE BOWSER.
I like using Bowser. He's got a couple of really nice combos and kills at very low percents. It's all about getting in that first hit though, because he's pretty much combo fodder himself. If they land a hit on you that wasn't armor'd, you've lost the stock. This is probably why I (ab)use his Downsmash liberally, the SA frames come out pretty quick.

When fighting him, it's all about Spacing. Know his reach and stay out of it with Marth, Ike, or Link. Know when to dodge and when to punish, because his moves are stupidly punishable. Back when I first started trying out everything in 2.6, Bowser's AI gave me a hella hard time to the point where it took real work to win. After learning how he works, though - well, he's pretty predictable. And once again my go-to level 9 punching bag when trying out a new character, heh.

Edit: Also, his size, man. On the one hand I like it because it gives him stupid huge hitboxes and there's something to be said about it on the casual level. The sheer amount of space he controls in a 4v4 makes him terrifying. At the same time, on a competitive or even just a casual 1v1 level, he's a huge hurtbox asking for percent. He's still one of the best designed characters in the game though - the PMBR did a wonderful job buffing him up in a way that seems natural to his playstyle.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think Bowser destroys Sonic, just saying.
Yes, I learned it first hand T-T

Also about him being OP, today I played PM with a friend. He has little smash experience, and barely knows any tech. Needless to say, I four stock him with every character EXCEPT BOWSER. If I had not read the posts, I would too cry OP. Bowser's super armor and 0-Death potential is insane opposed to Melee. The real reason why everyone has problems with him. Is because they are playing Bowser like melee and not respecting his new potential. Bowser is a very beginner oriented character, but really it comes down to how skilled are you with dealing with a powerful character. Crying OP only shows your lack of skill in the matchup. Funny how when I switched to Falco, Bowser almost immediately gets close to 4 stocked. Honestly, it comes down to your skill as your char, not necessarily your overall skill.

Last edited:

Rags

Smash Ace
Bowser currently destroys sonic? how? I want to get some tips on this matchup since I want to avoid being a punching bag.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
Bowser currently destroys sonic? how? I want to get some tips on this matchup since I want to avoid being a punching bag.
Don't go above him, and ALWAYS grab when you have the chance. Combo of anything you can, and most importantly, DON'T, GET, HIT. A hit = stock

Rags

Smash Ace
I was hoping for something more substantial. Though avoiding being above him helps.

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping for something more substantial. Though avoiding being above him helps.
Don't go below him either, and space him out with Fairs. Also side B into grab helps as well as pivot dash dancing grabs. Uair juggles really hurt bowser, so does spindash into hair. SDI is really important if you expect to not die at 70%, so play real defensive.

Rags

Smash Ace
Don't go below him either, and space him out with Fairs. Also side B into grab helps as well as pivot dash dancing grabs. Uair juggles really hurt bowser, so does spindash into hair. SDI is really important if you expect to not die at 70%, so play real defensive.
Thanks, though I'm the one playing bowser xD I played a friend and I found out that on stages like BF Bowser has an easier time dealing with sonic. Though on stages like FD, it goes either way, though I'm no expert.

Last edited:

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, though I', the one playing bowser xD I played a friend and I found out that on stages like BF Bowser has an easier tim edealing with sonic. Though on stages like FD, it goes either way, though I'm no expert.

Rags

Smash Ace
well, my typing was gawdawful xD

But I just kinda reversed what you said, so I'll keep a lookout for those too

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I'm not a great player by any stretch of the imagination. Although I'm interested in the competitive scene, I'm more casual than anything, but even I can easily beat the level 9 CPU Bowser. He's actually one of the easiest CPU's to beat imo because he just behaves like a big target.

I'm going to make the assumption that you're making the same mistake of running into his attacks over an over. Don't be so reckless and I guarantee you that you'll beat him 100% of the time.
off topic, but i went to the guy in your sig, and he had me literally rofling due to just how hard he was trolling. had me in tears

tommy nigo

Smash Rookie
Okay, I get the point of making Bowser less susceptible to rushdowns, as in both Melee and Brawl he was a complete punching bag for characters like Shiek and Fox. However, speeding him up, making him heavier, strengthening him, AND giving him super armor on practically every attack he has seems quite excessive. I am quite good at Melee, Brawl, and Project M, yet I cannot consistently beat Bowser at level 8 or 9 with ANY character. I get that they were trying to pull him out of his little hole from the past games in the attempt to balance out the characters more, but I think they accidentally gave him a jetpack instead of a trampoline. Make no mistake, I absolutely love Project M and haven't used the regular version of Brawl since obtaining it, but for the next update, I strongly believe Bowser should be powered down a bit. His Koopa Klaw in particular was a bit too powerful and way too easy to combo off of into itself. Essentially I think the developers kinda turned Bowser into the new Meta Knight. Thoughts or other suggestions?
the only resion he is overpowed is because you ****ing suck at the the game get good you ******

Top Bottom