• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser/Fox doubles tips

RidlR

Smash Rookie
Hi guys,

I need some advice on doubles play. I main Bowser, he mains fox.

Any advice from people that have actually tried this combination would be fantastic!

Cronoc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cronoc
Unfortunately I have trouble thinking of how these two characters would synergise together. They spend most their time on the ground, and Bowser's attacks have huge hitboxes that Fox is almost guaranteed to get hit by. Bowser will have to really limit his use of smashes, nair, fair, dtilt and utilt, and unfortunately grab combos aren't as powerful in 2v2s. Both characters have punishable recoveries and will have trouble helping each other if one is getting edge-guarded.

I would recommend splitting up into 1v1s against the other team when possible, I'm just having trouble thinking how either of these characters could support each other offensively. Fox's fast falling and Bowser's huge hitboxes make that difficult. Perhaps others could offer any ideas that come up. I don't mean to discourage you here, a teammate you know and have played with can make a good bit of difference in doubles, but I think you'll need to get out of each others' way.

Well, there's one good bit of teamwork you can do, you grab and hold them while the Fox usmashes them to the next world. They'll still have to be at high enough percentage to die to usmash, but it hits hard and is less likely to be interrupted than attempting a full Bowser throw combo in a doubles situation.

Last edited:

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Bowser/Fox would have a lot of trouble to deal with. As a fast faller and rushdown character, Fox will have trouble doing anything with Bowser as a tag team unless you're playing tennis at considerable distance.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
A lot of a Bowser/Fox teams strategies are going to be about working off one or the other's strengths, since they don't have many direct synergies. That being said, they do have a few moves that make pretty good set-ups for eachother as well as themselves. It's not much, but you really would have to make the most of these. Things like Fox's N-air, Bowser's Jab, etc...

The only character specific gimmick strategy I can think of is that when team-attack is on, Fox can reflect Bowser's Neutral-B without it damaging him to rack up a bit of extra damage if you space it correctly. It ain't much, but it's a little something atleast.

Other than that, I guess both characters could be pretty good at saving eachother offstage in case of emergency, though I doubt either will need it often enough. Fox's N-air and Bowser's Side-B or Up-B would both be pretty good at saving a teammate, but... Of course, if you're using Flying Slam, just be careful not to... Y'know, KO Fox.

But yeah, everyone else is pretty right about them struggling as team-mates... Still, that shouldn't put you off, they do cover a wide enough set of styles that they could work together. Though, notably, both are stronger when grounded, so keep that in mind.

Top Bottom