• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boost Grab Chaingrabs

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Hey all, its ESAM here again with what (hopefully) is a new way to Chaingrab even more characters!

Y'know how some characters would be just barely out of your reach from a CG and they get away? Well now there is a way to get that extra distance (there has always been the way, but no application was made)

To do this all you need to do is
Dash<Dash attack<Grab (You can only dash attack 1 or 2 frames, if the dash attack stays out for 3, you cannot cancel it).

This will give you a tiny boost.

Tested in Debug mode, verification would be nice if you guys want to.

Metaknight
0-19% (dash for 5 frames [first frame with the little puff of dust], dash attack for 1 frame, grab)

Wario
0-27% (dash for 4 frames, dash attack for 2, grab)

Diddy Kong
0-27% (dash for 4 frames, dash attack for 2, grab)

Pit
0-34% (dash for 4 frames, dash attack for 2, grab)

Squirtle
0-27% (dash for 5 frames, dash attack for 1, grab)

Yoshi
0-10% (dash for 5 frames, dash attack for 1, grab)

There you have it...it may not be a lot, but its more than before. After that one you could either start the buffer D-throw CG (against metaknight) or F-throw U-smash/dash attack. Happy chaingrabbing!

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sweet. Thanks, ESAM.

The Diddy one interests me the most..... any way to get more damage on that mother****er works for me. x.x

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Wait are we supposed to do a pivot grab or a dash grab? Cause the pivot grab doesn't even come close to grabbing them.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You said pivot grab in the op and that confused me. It makes sense now, but still, these don't work. They can just jump out.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
The cgs on MK and Diddy don't work at all, they can just jump out. For Wario, Squrtile, Pit, and Yoshi, they could already be cg'd without the dash attack canceled grabs. Pika's DAC grab gives like no boost at all.

Kantō

Smash Champion
yea some of these wouldnt even be worth it, good to know though. also, if your oppenent is smart enough, its pretty easy to get out of it. i have a problem with trying to CG people that i know that it wont work, but mabye this will help mix it up and catch someone off guard.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
They couldn't jump out against it when i was testing. You sure you doing the right frame data and such?

Razek

Smash Apprentice
On Metaknight, Diddy and Wario you can still down throw chain grab them to those percents (minus MK needs to be at about 8% or so).

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
The point is for a little extra $ for the F-throw U-smash or the D-throw nair. More % is everything.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
mk can be chain downthrown to like 35~ ish percent. and upsmashed to a good solid 50~ ish percent. you have to buffer d throws. but learning it is def worth it. let me set up and example. ff fair at 0% to grab at 2% f throw to 11%? d throw to around 30% then up smash.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
This isn't about D-throw, there is an entirely different thread for that. This is for boost grab F-throws against characters we couldn't CG before in ANY way. Thanks for the input though.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
There's no difference between boost grab and normal dash grab. Boost grab might go a few tiny pixels further but it's not that much more to make you cg longer.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
ESAM, did you test these in debug mode?

Prime is right. For some characters, boost grabbing gives a noticeable difference in range, but Pika's dash attack doesn't give him that much more added momentum; as a result, his boost grab isn't significantly different than his normal dash grab.

I've been trying this for a while, but DI + jumping seems to get people out of it...... x.x My boost grab skills might just be a little off, though, who knows.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I tested in debug.
"Boost grab may go a few tiny pixels further"
Thats all you needed in the first place. I was CGing a yoshi in friendlies and a pit in a MM/friendlies, so i know that at least those work.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
You can already cg them without boost grabbing. Also, just because you cg'd someone in friendlies doesn't prove that the cg works. Maybe they weren't trying to escape properly.

PUNK9

Smash Journeyman
people i normally CG. Normally DI away from me and try to hit me with an aerial -___-

Top Bottom