• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BOOST BLADE~ Item Toss/Glide Tech For Mega Man

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
This isn't a groundbreaking observation, but I realized today that you can use this tech whenever Mega Man will do a dash throw, regardless of whether you're in the dash, run, or skid animations.

The upshot is that you can fake people out using the skid. Dash forward and release the control stick to act like you're about to skid to a stop, but right before Mega Man enters the neutral state, DICTIT. You can foxtrot and then shoot yourself forward unpredictably using the DICTIT. It's a lot of fun.

ETA: skid DICTIT does seem to make the a+b method easier to pull off, at least for me

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This isn't a groundbreaking observation, but I realized today that you can use this tech whenever Mega Man will do a dash throw, regardless of whether you're in the dash, run, or skid animations.

The upshot is that you can fake people out using the skid. Dash forward and release the control stick to act like you're about to skid to a stop, but right before Mega Man enters the neutral state, DICTIT. You can foxtrot and then shoot yourself forward unpredictably using the DICTIT. It's a lot of fun.

ETA: skid DICTIT does seem to make the a+b method easier to pull off, at least for me
Yup, you're right. You certainly can do that. I discovered that last night, myself. However, I didn't think of a foxtrot sort of mixup. So that's a very nice mention, indeed!

Blue24

Smash Cadet
I see WAY more Mega Man on For Glory now. All of them try to show off with boost blade. I then proceed to beat them all by playing normal non-flashy game.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
can anyone confirm if hyper bomb and metal blade have the same frames at button input? i get hyper bomb glide toss more consistently than metal blade. any confirmation?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I know I'm joining late on this topic but... I actually know a few things about this technique that haven't been discussed. (I'm a lurker who just opened an account.)

To manually achieve the forward and pivot version, you'll need to use the Wiimote & Nunchuck since the smash d-pad doesn't charge, doesn't lock the left stick when held down, and always returns to neutral right away unlike the c-stick on the GameCube controller.

You'll need to remap that controller for the d-pad on Smash Attacks, Z button on Attack, C on Shield, A on Special Attack, B on Jump, A+B on Special Attack. (This is actually the most comfortable way to remap this imo should you actually do this.)

For the forward/pivot version you'll need to forward smash before you up smash in a split of a second. If you did this right, you should get a glide toss forward which is much better than an upward glide toss.

Though it seems most achievable on the Wiimote & Nunchuck, I do realize that many won't make that switch. I'll leave that up to the person, but I can do the forward glide toss almost just as well as I could on the Wiimote and Nunchuck by using the A+B Smash method. (and forward) The only problem is with A+B, it seems like you can't pivot with it. How you flick doing the A+B method will influence what kind of toss you get and if you start from 2 o'clock and end at about 4 o'clock, THEN press B. That should be forward from my experience.

I also tested to see if a downward glide toss was possible, however for some reason the slide is much shorter but definitely not the same as Jump Cancel and unsuable since doing it this way positions you farther from the metal blade. (still short though.)

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Has anyone tried using this in tournament yet? I haven't seen any videos with it as of yet.

I still can't do it entirely consistently, but I get it a decent amount of the time. It's also not usually that consequential if it misses (since I'm relying on the slide to get close, usually if it doesn't happen... I'm too far away to be punished and an MB toss isn't that dangerous in the first place). Sometimes they jump and you catch them with the Metal Blade, which is good too since they really can't do anything about it (and you might get a followup too).

Blade slide past them, turn around f-smash seems to catch people off guard pretty reliably though.

Last edited:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i've seen dark blue use it in rushhour stream at the choclate factory, and he didn't convert glide toss into an advantage. the commentators didn't even comment on it. maybe cuz it didn't really make a difference. i just find it annoying how i get punished by a dash attack or a dropping nair when i try to glide toss.

the most useful attacks out of glide toss to me is down tilt, reverse pivot f smash, jump to bair, jump to fair, and to grab. and sometimes the moves dont always connect, and im stuck in neutral

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
i've seen dark blue use it in rushhour stream at the choclate factory, and he didn't convert glide toss into an advantage. the commentators didn't even comment on it. maybe cuz it didn't really make a difference. i just find it annoying how i get punished by a dash attack or a dropping nair when i try to glide toss.

the most useful attacks out of glide toss to me is down tilt, reverse pivot f smash, jump to bair, jump to fair, and to grab. and sometimes the moves dont always connect, and im stuck in neutral
This is a fun tech but it doesn't change the fact that dsmash and utilt are risky as hell, so I don't use it to kill very much.

When I use this competitively it's usually in one of four ways:

1) To improve my keepaway game. Boost blade lets us get around a stage incredibly quickly, and make us a pain in stages like FD. It can be good for waiting out respawn invincibility, or playing keepaway from slow characters.

2) To improve my stage position against falling characters with high horizontal air speed (and sometimes catch them with the upwards thrown Metal Blade).

3) Leaf Shield + Metal Blade combo. If my opponent is trying to time me out, throwing on a Leaf Shield and boosting forward into a shield grab can be pretty hard to avoid. And for mixups, you can simply throw the MB and LS for a decent amount of damage.

4) Off screen surprise attack. On stages with walkoff areas like Castle Siege and Skyview, walking into the magnifying glass, then turning around and Boost Blading back into the center of the stage can be hard for your opponent to read or react to.

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Has anyone tried using this in tournament yet? I haven't seen any videos with it as of yet.

I still can't do it entirely consistently, but I get it a decent amount of the time. It's also not usually that consequential if it misses (since I'm relying on the slide to get close, usually if it doesn't happen... I'm too far away to be punished and an MB toss isn't that dangerous in the first place). Sometimes they jump and you catch them with the Metal Blade, which is good too since they really can't do anything about it (and you might get a followup too).

Blade slide past them, turn around f-smash seems to catch people off guard pretty reliably though.
I may not participate in tournaments but I certainly do have replays of me playing other people using the foward and pivot version. I can pull this off easily since i own the wiimote & nunchuck. I can either send them or find the time to upload them later on youtube.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i'm actually interested in how a forward toss is used in a matchup. pls upload a video if you can

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
i'm actually interested in how a forward toss is used in a matchup. pls upload a video if you can
I have some replays of me how its used in an actual fight, but if you just want to see examples of it right now, then this video will do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dzVm-ws5p0

And from what I've found its got some potential to skip some neutral position fundamentals because you can grab from it and you can peer away from reflectors if you use the pivot toss. Forward toss can also protect you from projectiles and boost right in a player's face.

The short coming of it is, the easiest way currently is through using the Wiimote and Nunchuck and pivot may as well be exclusive to that controller only. I have an active thread in case you haven't noticed it in the topic list.

You can shoot me a request and I can forward you those replays.

D

Deleted member

I would love to get the forward toss down. Did someone say it was harder or not possible, on the Gamecube/Pro Controller?

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I would love to get the forward toss down. Did someone say it was harder or not possible, on the Gamecube/Pro Controller?
Its a tad harder and pivot (boosted) item tosses are impossible on all other controllers what I know so far. I practiced both methods to death already and the best controller for it is actually the Wiimote and Nunchuck if you set your D-pad to Smash.

Forward on other controllers is impossible to do on the C-Stick because the right stick locks the left stick when its held down. That is why you'd need to do the non C Stick method which involves using AB Smash.

Top Bottom