• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Boomerang?

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I find it difficult to distinguish what I can use the boomerang for. What is it purposes, its uses? All I've really been doing is randomly throwing it out trying ot hit the opponent. I have no uniform way of using this thing. So I want to know how other people use it, to ditinguish its maximum amount of uses to more effectively weild the boomerang.
These are what I could come upwith:
Ranged
-Add damage
-interrupt airborne opponents
-ground pressure (making the ground unsafe, forcing the opponent to jump)
-Ariel Hookshot cancel (doesn't sound to useful)
-Ariel Pressure

Point-blank
-combo starter
-
-

Jash

Smash Lord
You forgot to add Hookshot Glitchs =). Boomerang is Young Links best Mind Game, Do you notice all the angles you can throw the Boomerang in? I use the Boomerang against Marths the most, when they jump in the air with a Nair, just hit their feet with the Boomerang and start spamming Uair shffles, Works like a charm. They work for many things you just have to find better ways to use em.

err

Smash Journeyman
yeah i've been experimenting with the degree of the angles at which you can hurl it... and it's pretty interesting but ****ed hard to do.

Jash, do you input the throw command -> and then apply a diagonal angle for your curved throws, or do you input the curve as you hurl it>?

ive been trying both methods and haven't found one i really like yet, but it's sooo liberating to play as the Youngin' after hours and hours of Elder Link

Jash

Smash Lord
I input the boomerang command then i press the direction i want it to go. Its pretty much explains itself, why do you think he takes so long throwing the boomerang? He gives ya time to throw it in the direction you want the boomerang to go.

err

Smash Journeyman
that's what i've been thinking; i've been sending my upward thrown rangs WAAAY to steeply when i get excited and just hurl it.

thanks for the clarification

Laijin

Smash Hero
The boomerang is pretty useful. Against characters who SH alot for everything they do(CF, etc,etc)..throwing it diagnally in the air would almost always gaurentee a hit. You should try it sometime if you keep getting knee'ed . :p (Although the knee will sometimes knock the boomerang away. In this case, n-air or a bomb should work)

err

Smash Journeyman
Laijin, we should get some Link/Y.link dittos in at Xplayground's tourney Feb.18th

Chip.

you know what to do
And the boomerang also allows you to airdodge in mid air fire the hook shot and do it again without landing =D
Are you saying you can use it as a form of recovery? I've seen Aniki(Y.Link) and Chu Dat do it before so I think I know what your talking about, I think.

Ni Hao

Smash Rookie
Boomerang can also be used as a combo starter as long as you hit them. You should also always be an offensive young link, so combos are always available using the boomerang.

Chip.

you know what to do
You shouldn't be offensive all the time with Young Link when fighting charachters such as Marth, Link, or Peach. You would want to play defensive, depending on the situation, and stay back and spam. Then, when oppurtunity presents itself, you can start up a combo.

Bane

Smash Journeyman
The primary way I use the boomerang is to control the enemy, be it to interrupt an arial or a ground assault, when you're playing as Y. Link, your boomerang is the best way to stun or halt your opponent and come aggressively back at them with your own attack. The projectile is your fastest range attack to pull off effectively if you don't have a bomb already out. It also makes a great offensive or close defensive tactic, as shorthopping into it allows for superior placement.

-The boomerang also helps you out of a particularily dim witted opponent's grab once and a while.

SuPeRCuSsIoN

Smash Journeyman
boomerang...hehe. i dont use the trick im about to explain ALL the time, but it works. throw your boomer anywhere you feel and if you miss the opponent, RUN after them and run away from the boomerang. the comeback should hit them and you are free to laugh at the opponent.

oh, but seriously. i use it to attack and stun the opponent. if you miss, it WILL ALWAYS come back. so the comeback may always be on the opponents mind. they might be too aware of a little 1% damage and it can throw them off track.

i also use it as a trap. they see YL charge up for the boomer and they jump, but you throw it up and WHACK. heh, then you can sex kick them or whatever.

my mind is full of SMASH ideas. i just dont have videos to prove it.

Top Bottom