• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bonbon's (Help me create this) Sheik Guide!

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
Life update (5/2/15): I'm pretty busy with school this quarter, so it's hard to find time for smash. Sorry, and it pains me to say this to anyone who has been following... but I will be on hiatus for a little for now... BUT, expect to return! I do enjoy writing about this!

Last update on 3/26/15

Added a personal blog section in the post below this! Check it out if you're interested in my progress!

Introduction

Greetings, reader! Welcome to my Sheik guide! I go by Bonbon. I'm a NorCal (408) Sheik main, currently attending UC Davis. I would consider myself about a low-mid level player (I tend to go 3-2 or 2-2 in tournaments), so I'm not exactly the most ideal person to be writing a guide. Not to mention, I sort of lost my passion for Smash a little back and stopped attending tournaments, due to a combination of some disappointing performances (including going 2 and out at EVO), learning how to play Ultra Street Fighter 4, and just becoming REALLY busy with school and other important things in life. However, I still love Melee, and often find myself still daydreaming about the game during class and such. I have found that one thing that I REALLY enjoy about Melee is learning the strategies and understanding the key components of match-ups, which can help lead to victory! As a result, I've actually been getting back into playing again. I think I am too busy atm to attend tournaments as much as did before, but I am still working on my game knowledge just by playing with my housemates, which I would call "recreational" players.

So, as sort of a "side project" kind of thing, I will be working on this guide! I will be giving MY thoughts and opinions on how I think Sheik should be played, and would appreciate getting some advice from you all. And hopefully, as a result, we can all become better Sheik players!

To reiterate, this will be a WIP! I don't know how much attention this thread will be getting, but I will be trying to update it at least once a week. IMO, there is not a whole lot of resources for Sheik (at least compared to other characters), and there isn't an up to date Sheik guide atm, so I will be mostly relying on comments, which again, I am not sure if they will show up and if this will be popular, as well as information from other threads! Whatever the case, I hope you enjoy this guide as much as I hope to enjoy writing it, and again, don't hesitate to give me some criticism or disagree with my thoughts on how to play Sheik!

Table of Contents

Introduction

Sheik Overview
-Pros
-Cons
-Playstyle

Moveset (Will probably be a while before I start working on this...)

Important/Useful Tech
Sheik Trials

Stages (Will go through each stage)
-Notable Features
-Counterpicking

Match-ups
-Marth
-Captain Falcon
-TBD

Sheik Overview
Just a note about this section. Every character has his/her strengths and weaknesses. To recognize and understand those strengths and weaknesses, I think, is very important. From there, you can you can choose what parts of your game you would like to show more of and which parts you would like to try to avoid. Or, if that part of the game is unavoidable, you can figure out how you can train/practice so that your character's weakness becomes your strength.

With that said, I think it is important to note that during this day and age of Melee, characters don't really "win" in certain match-ups. Let's take Sheik vs Falcon for example. I often hear that Sheik wins that MU, and that it's like 60-40. People that say this mean that if 2 equally highly-skilled players played each other, Sheik would win 60% of the games.... Maybe that is the case, but the MU is much more complex than that.

Pros
-High juggling and tech chasing potential (strong grab game)
-Combo game is reliable and fairly easy to execute
-Strong options for edge-guarding due to air properties as well as needles
-Many large and disjointed hitboxes on aerials and tilts
-Strong OoS game
-Good ground speed
-SH height makes it easier to dodge and counter projectiles as well as certain SHFFL'ed approaches
-Needles allow for campy-ish playstyle, but more importantly, opens up a couple more defensive/offensive options
-Strong CC game
-Strong ledge game
-Low lag on aerials (when L-cancelled)

Cons
-Weight and other properties make Sheik ideal for juggling for much of the cast
-Combos end fairly quickly and are difficult to extend
-Big landing lag on UpB makes edgeguards easy when she is forced to recover on stage
-Low aerial mobility
-Short dash
-Lack of a quick aerial that quickly hits below her
-Lack of fast SHFFL approach
-Many of her attacks can be CC'ed
-Lacks a strong+reliable punish (eg Marth fsmash or Fox usmash)

Play-style
First, a quick lesson on offense and defense!
Competition is a contest over limited resources. In Melee, the most important resource is stocks, and percentage being second, but there are other resources that can lead to the loss of stocks, such as space, positioning, or attack options. So, even if you are not racking up % on your opponent, you can attack less obvious resources that will still help lead to victory. With that said, offense is taking action to eliminate resources from an opponent, and defense is trying to prevent the loss of one's own resources.

Neutral game:
Now, with THAT said, Sheik is more of a defensive character. In other words, she is not really an approach character. She lacks great offensive tools that much of the other top tiers have. Much of the time, her neutral game revolves around baiting out aggression from the opponent and counter-attacking accordingly. Not to say that Sheik should NEVER approach in the neutral. In fact, there are many situations that Sheik should be approaching, but most of the time, Sheik should want to stay patient and wait to react to the opponent's aggression.

Combo/Punish game:
Sheik's combo/punish game is of the strongest in the game. Her combo tree is very simple, but still quite effective. However, do not be fooled. Though it is easy to understand what Sheik SHOULD do, the execution can still be very difficult. It's not as simple as "lololol one grab > tech chase > you die." In theory that's how it works, but how often do you see that happen? Just like how in THEORY, a marth grab on spacies on FD should mean death, but how often does that happen when it's not M2K? Nonetheless, I would say a hit for Sheik can generally mean about 30%+, which I think is realistic and relevant.

Edgeguarding:
Often seen getting gimps, Sheik has a lot for tools for edgeguarding. Her falling properties and recovery allows her to jump offstage very far, or drop very low for her edgeguards. Also, her aerials have a lot of active frames, as well as long ranged, disjointed hit boxes, which help with avoiding being hit by the opponent's recovery. Oh, and she also has needles :p, which she conveniently has the ability to throw them horizontally as well as diagonally.

Recovery:
Unfortunately, Sheik is at a weight that she can be combo'ed quite well by pretty much all of the cast. In many situations, the opponent can combo off a hit regardless of your DI. Thus, you will often want to just mix up your DI to make combo'ing more difficult for your opponent. Similarly, on recovery, Sheik will almost certainly be hit after upB'ing onstage due to the landing lag of the move. Her upB can be pretty tricky to edgeguard sometimes, but in general, it's pretty easy to edgeguard Sheik as long as you know how. Knowing this, you generally will want to upB onto the stage and be ready to DI the punish in a way that you won't have to upB onto the stage again.

Movelist (Will ACTUALLY work on this later)
Here is a summary of frame data and a brief description of each move. All frame data is taken from these 2 links:
http://smashboards.com/threads/sheik-hitboxes-and-frame-data.299984/
http://smashboards.com/threads/sheik-shield-pressure-info-more.293859/

Some useful things to note are that most grabs come out in 7 frames and none come out any faster and jump speeds vary between 4-7 with only Bowser at 9.

Jab 3-4%
Total: 17 Hit: 2-3 IASA: 16 (second jab: 10) Shield Stun: 4

Jab (second) 3-4%
Total: 18 Hit: 3-5 IASA: 17 (rapid jabs: 10) Shield Stun: 3

Total: Hit: IASA: Shield Stun:

Sheik Trials

Stage Knowledge
This is one of those things that I feel is just intrinsic to a lot of players, but I think there is a lot of value in turning that intrinsic knowledge to extrinsic knowledge. My goal is to open up possibilities for movement and tactics available for you to explore as you go into your "Smash Lab."

Battlefield
Ahhhh, Battlefield. Often considered as the most neutral stage, Battlefield is the stage you will probably most often play on... Let's get started.

Let's start with he obvious. There are 3 platforms placed in the shape of a triangle. Below the edge, there is essentially nothing, so you can't wall-jump for that extra recovery option. I think that's about it for the obvious things...

Now let's talk about side platforms. The side platforms are at a height low enough that in MU's vs floaty-midweight characters, when you dthrow them, they can get above the side platform and tech on that, instead of giving you the guaranteed combo. This can make you drop your combo if you're not aware of your surroundings. But if you predict or react to your opponent DI'ing towards a side platform to tech on it after a dthrow, it is low enough that you can jump>WL on and get a tech chase on the platform and go for a DA follow up, or another grab, or even an usmash.

Another way you can tech chase if you value keeping stage position is with your short hop. The side platforms are high enough that your SH will not reach the platform, but your aerials will go through them still. This way, you can tech chase on platforms in a Marth-esque fashion. If you react too slowly to the tech, at worst, you're opponent is stuck on the platform with their shield up... Actually, at worst, they shield drop, and you get hit with something... but generally, this option is safe! D= But yeah, if your opponent is teching on a side platform, if you position yourself with a SH towards the middle of the platform, you can cover all options with fair and bair, and occasionally get an uair for a combo.

This ALSO means that you can safely pressure people with fairs and bairs when they are trapped in the corner. A lot of players, when they get stuck in the corner of BF, like to WL onto the side platform and try to get center stage from there. As soon as I see this, I SH fair into them, and since their mindset is usually to dodge my attacks and regain center stage (rather than shield on the platform), I usually get a hit.

The side platform is also a fairly safe place to be. It is a "disadvantageous position" because it is above the ground and not in the center of the stage. However, you can avoid pretty much any approach from the ground with a full jump>double jump when you're on the side platform (though this burns your double jump, which means less option as you try to get down from the air). You also have easy access to the top platform, which makes it not too difficult to regain center stage because of your options for movement. You can also camp needles here. These platform tricks are also tactics available to your opponents. Sometimes, Falcons and Falcos like to stand on the side platforms and bait your approach to hit them, but they'll just jump above your attack, and then they get a free dair. Look out for that.

The last thing about the side platforms that I would keep in mind is that if you try to SH needle, sometimes you just land on the platform and end up throwing a horizontal needle if you let go of B at the right (or wrong, however you wanna look at it) time.

Now let's talk about the top platform!

Match-ups (MU)
Before, when I would try to learn a MU or improve at it, I would watch videos of the MU and see how the Sheik player is getting their hits, paying close attention to their movement, as well as what attacks they were using. I think this approach is fine, but I want to open up other options. As I've said in the intro, I've started playing a bit of Ultra Street Fighter IV recently, and I realize that my approach to learning a character is different from Smash in that I start by learning the combos. I've noticed that in tournament play, for USF4, having your combos down is analogous to being able to WD and L-cancel everything in Smash. They are both standard skills in tournament.

I light of that, for this match-up section, I will format each MU as follows:
1. An overview of the MU as to how you might be able to expect things to go
2. How you should be building racking up kills or building %, titled as "combos/follow-ups" or "edgeguards"
3. Strategy and tactics to you use to set up your big combos or edgeguards as well as ways to avoid the threads the oppenent has
4. Stage counterpicks/bans

Also, I want to start with the MU's that are considered "good MU's" for Sheik because I feel that I fell into the trap of thinking that because the MU is "easy," I don't need to know what I should be doing to win. I'm going with the logic of "take what's yours" and saying that I wanna start with being able to win the MU's that I should be winning. On paper, I think those MU's are Falcon and Marth, but I'll start with Marth because I know that MU WAYYYYY better since my "training partner" or simply, my friend that I learned the game with, is a Marth main.

Marth
This MU is traditionally thought as good for Sheik. This is probably because a lot of the combos Sheik has on Marth are kind of guaranteed, especially if she gets a grab or dash attack. Marth, on the other hand, has to read Sheik's movement if he wants to get his hits and follow-ups. It's not as bad as people think though, and I'm glad to see more resources and hear more commentary of people agreeing so.

Let's take the combo game for example: Let's say that Sheik gets a dthrow>ftilt>fair (Marth can DI the ftilt to avoid the fair btw, but let's just go on with this example). Dthrow does 8%, ftilt 6%, fair 13%. That's a total of 27%. It's a lot, but Marth doesn't typically die from it, and once you get the fair, it's pretty difficult to follow-up on the combo. Typically, the game goes back to neutral position. Depending on the positioning of where you get these grab combos, you would need 3 of these combos per stock + an edgeguard. Or maybe 4 - 5 raw grab combos to kill. Of course, you're probably building % from other things like pokes and needles and such, but just be aware of how strong your punishes are. They are strong, but they aren't THAT strong.

I will go into these topics in depth, but in short, this how I think the MU goes:
-Marth combos hard, Sheik combo's harder
-Marth has slight advantage in neutral
-Marth makes more use of his positional advantage
-Edgeguards are slightly easier for Marth, but slightly stronger for Sheik

If I HAD to give numbers for the MU, I would say somewhere around 55/45 Sheik, but it's tough to say...

Combos/Follow-ups
Check out KK's post on combo'ing with dthrow:
http://smashboards.com/threads/a-qu...ic-d-throws-combos-under-construction.312070/

Just to reiterate some things about comboing with dthrow:
-ftilt tends to end the combo as long as Marth knows how to DI it. Your main options should usually be utilt, usmash, DA, or regrab. Also, it may be useful to know that utilt does 8% on the first hit, while ftilt does 6%. The extra 2% can matter (which is also why I always get at least 1 pummel before throwing)!

Some other notes about combo'ing after dthrow:
-At 0%, you get a guaranteed chain grab. You can keep chain-grabbing up to around 30-40% if he always DI's away.
-If you're too nervous to execute, you can mash ftilt in the direction Marth DI's. You often won't get a follow-up after the ftilt, so it's definitely not optimal and you should learn to control your anxiety, but that's there.
-At kill %'s, you should follow up the dthrow with SH fair or uair.

Besides dthrow, your other combo starters are DA and tilts. DA and tilts can combo into each other as well as themselves at lower percents depending on the DI. Sometimes, Marth will DI in a way that DA can hit but won't combo, so Marth can jump out. In these cases, you can run at Marth and predict this jump to avoid your DA, and go for a rising fair instead. Fair will typically end your combo.

To end this section, I just want to restate what I said in the intro of this MU. I think it's pretty rare to get a 0 to death combo with Sheik on Marth. If Marth knows how to DI the combos, they shouldn't go for that long, and Marth has really good air mobility so he can land back on the ground or the edge safely. BUT, after that, you Sheik should have the positional advantage. Once your juggle ends, Marth should be somewhere in the air, you should be taking center stage, maybe you got Marth to burn his double jump, or he was able to get down safely to a platform or the ledge.

I'll talk more about those kinds of situations in a later section, but for now, try to get about 30%-40% per dthrow or DA, and I would say that that is pretty standard/decent, and then be aware of the positional advantage you get after the combos and that there are more resources to be mindful of besides stocks and percentages!

Edge-guarding
When recovering, Marths will typically try to get below the stage and DJ or upB to sweet spot the edge. If he's not trying to fall below the stage to sweet spot, he is either looking to challenge you with an aerial or airdodge on. If he is looking to challenge you with an aerial, Marth will typically use rising DJ fair/nair or a falling dair. And in case you haven't noticed what I was trying to imply, Marths will usually try to conserve their DJ and intially recover with just sideB.

When edge-guarding Marth, in general, if you have time, you want to grab the edge. Sheik's bair is awesome for edge-guarding. Your goal will usually be to try to get below Marth and then hit him with a rising DJ bair. Sheik has pretty good recovery with her upB, so don't be afraid to drop down really low below the stage if the situation calls for it.

But sometimes, Marth will just drop low enough below the stage that Sheik cannot safely go down to edgeguard him, or he is too far to be able to get below him in time. In these cases, I would go for a falling nair fromt he ledge, or a rising nair or bair. It is noteworthy to know that Sheik's bair also has a hitbox below her on the leg that doesn't stick out. It is a weak hitbox, but it's good enough for the purpose of edgeguarding, since you're just trying to hit the Marth away fromt he edge. So the move you decide to go with depends on the positioning of Marth when he's recovering, and where you want your hitboxes to be.

Finally, if you have enough time, you can try to hog the edge at the right time and force Marth to upB past your ledge invincibility onto the stage. If you can do this, you can get a free dair from the ledge to combo into w/e, or if you think it will kill, go for a reverse fair, which I recently saw Shroomed do pretty consistently, so I will probably start practicing that.

OH! And don't forget that you can throw needles. More useful to hit if you can hit him before he gets into position to upB.

Neutral Game (goals + tactics)
So, keeping in mind what has already been gone over in this MU, what would be the game plan for Sheik?... Well, our most damaging combos start with dthrow, and then we get pretty good combos after DA (once Marth is at a high enough %) as well, so I would say Sheik's game plan is to get a grab or a DA. There are many other goals that Sheik should have in this MU that are pretty relevant such as being below Marth, getting Marth off-stage, or even poking with certain aerials, but let's try to keep this simple for now and only think about getting a grab or DA.

Now, before I go into some tactics, I want to go into Marth's goals in the MU. For starters, Marth wants to avoid Sheik's goals, that is, avoid being grabbed or DA'ed. He will use a lot of zoning tactics to do this. Offensively, I would say that Marth wants to get a grab, get under Sheik, or get Sheik of stage. I actually do not want to simplify these goals for Marth because I think they are more relevant than the extra goals that said I will be ignoring for Sheik. And to continue the pattern, Sheik will have some added goals of avoiding these goals of Marth.

So now that we have goals of each character, let's talk about the tools that each character has to accomplish these goals:
Marth: His speed, range with sword, grab range, even his SH heigh allows him to dodge Sheik's grab+DA and punish

So knowing this here is my most used tactic in this MU. Dash>WD back. Why is this tactic so threatening?
First of all, dashing forward threatens Marth with grab or DA. Typically, the correct response to this would either be to dash away, SH over the approach> aerial, or dtilt to prevent the approach. So if you can't tell, the tactic is low risk, high reward! If Marth dashes away, you have gained stage positioning. If he SH aerials, you should be able to whiff punish his aerial with a dash grab. If he dtilts, you pretty much stay in neutral position.

Another tactic I like to do is to add a SHFFL'ed fair to the end of the last tactic. This will allow you to beat the dtilt option, and can lead to a follow-up. It should also beat Marth's SH aerial option since your WD back should have still made his aerial whiff. Often, Marth will have time to shield and block your fair approach, but I would still count this as a win, because then you get to pressure his shield. The only problem is that if you commit to a SHFFL'ed fair, you would lose to the dash away because then you would be the one whiffing an attack, and Marth might be able to to punish your whiffed fair.

TO BE CONTINUED... THANKS FOR READYING SO FAR!!!

Last edited:

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
I know what I want to use this for now! I'm going to use this post as a blog for myself and whoever else wants to see, just to kind of keep track of my improvement.

2/14 SCU Tournament:
http://ssbs.challonge.com/ssbsmelee
This was actually my first tournament in like 6 months. I haven't been active in the tourney scene since EVO pretty much. I've played with a couple friends and had like 7 hours of friendlies in such, but I jsut felt like everyone's been stepping up their game, so I didn't expect to do super well here. So my mindset was just to enjoy the tournament and not expect to do super well. Things worked out! It was refreshing to check out a tournament after so long.

Friendlies went well. My movement felt average. I had a couple tech flubs, but overall, I felt pretty good about always doing something on every frame I could. And I saw some friends that I roomed with at EVO, and playing with them was pretty fun. lawlz

The tournament was slow because I think it was SCU's first time running a tournament or something. Eventually, singles started and there were like 70 entrants. They decided to do 6 man pools and ended going 5-1! I won some pretty easily cause some people were just starting out and such, but here are matches that stood out:

Kwan (Falcon) - Lose (0-2)
I got destroyed here. I could not touch this guy and I've always had trouble with this MU. My gameplan was to approach slowly with walk and try to ftilt his approach pre-emptively because I knew in most situations, I wouldn't be able to react to Falcon's approaches. It was kinda working the first game, and I think I got 2 stocked D= but the next game he seemed to be baiting out my ftilt and then punished accordingly. I got 3 stocked in my 2nd game if I recall correctly... destruction...

Another problem, however, was whenever I got a grab, I was not able to get very much out of it. He would miss the tech, and I'd react with double jab, and he's just jump out, so I probably got like 15% per grab. I would try to jab-reset and predict the SDI and just go for a ftilt after, but that would whiff, and then I tried just going for a fair after ther SDI. That would whiff too. Next time, I guess I'll try to usmash the missed tech rather than jab. At least then, I should get 1 follow-up. I still feel the punish game is deceivingly better Falcon in this MU, but it's really hard to say. I do get my 0>death combos more often than usual, but man, I feel like everything leads to a knee.

[Do not want to say who...] (Doc) - Win (2-1)
This was a really close match. I think opponent was actually better than me, but my character is better and he wasn't playing on point and got frustrated with the way I was playing. I felt fairly comfortable with this MU. Usually when I play mid-tier mains, I lose because I don't know the MU and how to combo and such, but luckily, I played a lot of games with this doc main at EVO and one of my roommates also mains doc, and got to play vs him a couple times as well.

The gameplan was to go for grabs and DA and to end combos a little quicker than normal, because I remember juggling doc was a little harder than other mains, so insuring the Fair combo ender and getting an edgeguard was more valuable to me than an extra DA or uair or something like that. I would go for that extra % sometimes, but generally wanted to keep it simple and focus on follow-ups more than combos. We struck to FD first because I thought I didn't really need the platform movement as much in this a MU like this where I new doc wouldn't be approaching that much and couldn't really pressure me. Lack of platforms improved my combo game and the large space, again, was nice because of doc's defensive style. So not much to say about the game, I followed my gameplan, and though I think I won by 1 stock, I felt pretty comfortable and it felt not close even though the score didn't say it. 2nd game, he saltied back to FD, and I lost by 1 stock.

Game 3, he banned yoshi, probably wanting to avoid fast kills, but my gameplan wasn't to get fast kills. I realized that he was spamming pills a lot with his approach, and I was trying to run under and "shark" him from below, but things just never worked out. But I knew that Sheik could out camp doc, so I decided that I could play a very "safe" game and just be patient and lame on Dreamland. So whenever I saw him take to the air, I charged my needles, and if he would throw a pill, I would let it rip and 1 needle would hit his pill, and 1 or 2 would hit him as he would land. I would keep doing this until he decided to approach without a pill. So, this plan was working, and I was up 3 stocks to 1, but I didn't want to just close it out. I was taking no chances. I stuck with the plan (which definitely pissed him off, so I felt a little bad...) and he decided he didn't want to approach either for a bit. The clock said 2 min, and I was ready to just time him up. I was ahead, so I had no reason to approach. He did end up making things close and took 2 stocks from me after deciding he couldn't win by just pilling cause I was just gonna keep camping needles. But, like the first game, thought he score didn't say so, I felt like it wasn't close. I was pretty sure I was gonna win. GG's to him, mad close game.

So I got to singles bracket. I went 0-2 :/ (though I got a bye in losers, so ended up 25th or something like that!). These are my matches:

Yamaneko (Puff) - Lose (0-2)
This match, like vs kwan, was not close. I do NOT know this MU. We even struck to BF, which I though is probably good for Sheik. Not much to say here... I guess I tried camping needles again, and tried to camp bairs. Neighther really worked. I think I need to watch for how puff retreats after throwing out and aerial, and then run in with something. Bleh, got destroyed, both games on BF because I thought the platforms were fit for a camping game. But man, I could NOT hit this guy. He wasn't even that fast, but just really smart I guess.

Then I got a bye because of my record in pools I guess.

Nhat (Marth) - Lose (0-2)
I have so much experience vs Marth. I thought I stood a chance, but Nhat just always eliminates me from any tournament he sees me at! First game went to BF. It was a close 1 stock. Then I counterpicked PS because I wanted to try implementing "No Impacts Landing" tech that I learned from a PPU video I watched earlier that week. Things were working, and I had a lead at the start I think, but then I killed myself and got 2 or 3 stocked or something. But I felt fine with this match, though I did not learn much besides becoming more comfortable with "No Impact Lands."

3/7 DCSC (Davis Computer Science Club) Tournament:
http://challonge.com/dcscbracket
Backstory time:
The Davis Melee scene is actually been pretty active this past year. Especially compared to previous years, people are pretty active on the FB pages. As I have said, I have not been super active in finding people to play with this past year. Just so many responsibilities to manage this year, and when I do get a break, I usually chill with the homies that don't play smash. But I still study the game a lot, and though I don't get as much hands-on experience, I like to think my cerebral style helps get me by. Anyways, since I don't go out much, I think people didn't really know who I was and didn't really expect anything from me.

But I feel like I know myself pretty well, and I was thinking that I was gonna win the whole thing. It's funny though, many times, the week before, I would be thinking, "If so and so show up, they will probably give me some trouble, but I think I should still beat them..." but then there would be other times that I'd get somewhat depressed and start thinking, "Mannnn, I'm so busy with school that I can't practice/prepare. This is gonna be EVO all over again, and I might just choke and lose."

In the end, I ended up settling for something between. My mindset was that I COULD win, but I shouldn't underestimate any opponent. Also, though I invest a lot in the game, I shouldn't get all depressed or w/e if I do end up, like not even placing top 3. It would suck if I didn't have a placing to show how good I was/to represent the time and effort I put to be better than others at the game, but there are more important things in life (though Smash is QUITE important ^_^).

Spoiler alert, I ended up getting 7th. It is pretty good considering probably no one really expected me to do decent at all, but in my eyes, I felt I definitely should have done better. I was definitely salty about my losses haha. But it's chill. Again, it's not the end of the world. But hopefully next time, I can put on a showing that people might be like, "Shoot, this guy could win it all..." It just kinda stinks because the time I did have to prepare, I spent preparing to play the guys who ended up getting top 3, but I never got to match-up against them. I feel like if I got to play them, things might have been different. But instead, I loss to people I didn't expect to lose to. Nothing against them, they are good, and I can't say I'm better than them since... well... I lost to them LOL. GG's Davis, will have a salty runback in the future... (when I'm done with my Senior Design class LOL)

Anyways, let's talk about my matches. In pools, nothing interesting really happened. I won 3 matches and got out of my pools as 1st seed. My 3rd match was kind of close. Pretty solid Fox player that just needs to work a bit on his punish game me thinks. Random note: he caught me with a lot of jab>usmash. Also, my movement was pretty bad that game, but I guess my tech chase/punish game is pretty solid. So, though I got hit a lot, my punishes were able to make up for it. Here's a link in case you're interested:
http://www.twitch.tv/davissmash/c/6289987

Now let's get to bracket:

PBear (Sheik/Zelda) - Lose (0-2)
http://www.twitch.tv/davissmash/c/6289898
FFUUUUUUUUU. My first match in bracket, and loooooseeee!!! On stream!!!! I always lose on streammmm lollll. Anyways, this match caught me off guard. I didn't know that he was a Sheik/Zelda main. Thought he was just Sheik. That caught me off guard, and probably cost me the set. That's what I get for not being active... But yeah, he went with the build % with Sheik, kill with Zelda strat. I was not ready for it...

To start things off, I'm pretty bad at the ditto. I didn't realize that dthrow jab worked when I DI'ed away, so I got caught by that twice or so at the start before I realized you couldn't DI it away. He would most of the time go for grab after the jab, so I just buffered a spot dodge and then got a free dsmash. Maybe I could have punished harder, but I think grab is the only thing that would be better, but I think grab is too slow to punish with. But with dsmash I only get 10%. The risk is worth the reward I think. I think the safest best thing to do would be like SH OoS for a fair to start shield pressuring. Preferably, from behind.

I also felt like a lot of my hits were from me doing an unsafe approach, or just whiffing something, and then I got hit. I'll give Pbear the benefit of the doubt that he was covering my options just to give that respect, but I felt like I was just killing myself. I did NOT feel pressured, and I just felt like I approached, and then I got hit. To improve on this, I should probably work on fundamentals. More specifically, the spacing of my moves, and l cancelling them and having a follow-up ready. And probably just playing more patient. There were a couple times where I would just run into one of his attacks because I wouldn't have expected certain attacks because I thought they were bad, which I guess, makes them good attacks since I got hit by them.

NOW, SPECIFICALLY vs his Zelda, in hindsight, I (probably) played the MU SOOOOO wrong. Not to mention, I think my first death, I DI'ed an fsmash to the other side and died in the reverse direction because of that. That was a morale killer, but I shrugged it off. Anyways, my biggest mistakes, were that I respected and disrespected her too much at the wrong times.

I got caught by SOOOO many frame traps. I would block an aerial, and try to do something out of my shield, and get hit by either a fair, bair, or dsmash because I didn't respect it enough. This should improve just with more experience in the MU to learn the gimmicks and such.

I also choked an edgeguard at the end. I like, just choked when I should've just got a dsmash. Instead, I just end up falling off the stage and bairing or something stupid like that. In summary, I should probably get a better gameplan vs Sheik. Learning the Zelda MU will probably jsut be experience, but towards the end, I felt like I could see more of the times I would be unsafe in my offense, and could keep safe from the holes in my follow-ups and such. Will work on this more. Have been focusing a lot on learning spacies and Falcon recently, which came in handy as pretty much everyone I played after this first round was a spacie.

I played this guy named Lsi. He was aight. I think the guy I played in pools, Beadogg, who btw, unfortunately, did not make it out of pools, would have beat Lsi, but it's chill. That's how things go in tournament, I guess.

Transient (Transcient?) (Falco) - Win (2-1)
Man, I wish these matches were recorded, cause these were close matches. It's been a while since the tournament that I'm now writing about, so I can't quite remember during these matches. I just remember that this Falco was pretty solid but I felt like he didn't know the Sheik MU all that well yet. His combos were pretty good, and so was hit movement, but I think I caught him with a lot of Sheik stuff like nair OoS as he tried to shield pressure me.

I defintely remember getting a lot of pretty strong punishes off my dthrows though. I definitely feel stronger in this match-up than I did a year or 2 ago. I would get SUPER salty about Falco, but now, not too much of a problem anymore. I used to think the MU was 43ish-57ish Falco, but now I think it's pretty close. We'll say 50-50.

One thing I DO need to stop doing however, is tech chasing with DA at %'s lower than 23%. I think this tournament, I just wanted to get my guaranteed %, and then take w/e punish he would give me after taking the DA. I probably wasn't punished near as much as I should have been. I felt like usually Transient would get a shine, but then no follow up after that, so it wasn't TOO bad that I was using DA. I need to trust my reactions more. A lot of top players talk about how their reactions are bad, but they play around it. Whelp, I think mine are pretty good, and I need to emphasize it more.

Anyways, I'm rambling, let's jsut move on because I don't remember this match well enough.

KennyBuchi (Fox) - Win (2-1)
Man, I REALLY wish THIS one was recorded. This guy was a pretty solid Fox who showed some understanding about the Sheik MU. Or maybe it was just his style. It could go either way :p.

Again, I don't remember much from this match, but I'll do my best. In game 1, I think I just had his number. If I recall correctly, I think I finished it with 2 stocks. Again, I think my punishes were pretty decent, minus the DA at low %'s, and I probably got some gimps or good edgeguards or something.

This didn't seem to phase him. Game 2, I banned FD, and he either CP'ed PS, or DL. All I remember is that Kenny started playing a lot more patient. He would wait for his time to approach, and if I got him in the air, usually he could maybe try to fall with a dair or something and I would catch him with a fair or a nair to send him off stage, but I think he realized this and started just trying to get to the ground instead of trying to hit me when he was in that disadvantageous position. He started camping the platforms more and I would get baited to try to hit him from below, but then he would jump so I couldn't reach him, and he'd hit me on the way down.

I believe I got grabbed a lot too. I kept missing the DI on the uthrow, so I got hit by a lot of uairs and I think I died off the top a lot, but when I started to be more prepared to get grabbed, I found that he had trouble hitting the uair when I DI'ed the uthrow.

This is a pretty basic thought, but actually complex thing I need to work on. It's an interesting thought in any form of competition, to be prepared or consider what should be done once something bad happens. In wrestling, there were many positions that my team and I would ask the coach, what is the "counter" to this move, and he would say, "There is none. You're done if you get caught, but here's how you avoid that situation..." Isai has said don't get hit, but maybe we shouldn't think of Melee like that. In friendlies and such, I'm going to start paying more attentions to times where it's easy to tell like, "crap, I'm going to get hit." This might be a helpful thing to recognize. Anyways, I lost game 2.

So, before game 3, people were getting hyped about the matches on the stream, but I needed to stay focused on my match. I thought for a good amount of time before making my CP. I was pretty certain I was going to YS, which btw, if you Davis guys read this, It might be better ti ban FoD against me. I like, never play on that stage because EVERYONE bans it. And as a result, YS is a really familiar stage to me. Just something for y'all to consider. In my head, I decided on YS, but I needed to figure out why I was losing.

I decided the things I said above were the reasons I was losing, mainly that I needed to play more patient when I had good positioning. As I expected, game 3, YS, when he got scared, he would camp that top platform. This time, I just waited for him to come down. I know the jump heights of when I lands, so I would pressure him with safe aerials, to force him to come down eventually, or I would just get free %. Punishes were standard, I didn't eat too many uairs, and I got a lot less random hits from whiffing full jump aerials to contest his platform movement.

Barely came out on top. Solid Fox. He made it hard for me to get my hits. If he just ups his combo game and his movement in neutral, things will probably be different.

kevbot12k3 (Falco) - Lose (1-2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUIHOVMc45Y
I had seen a couple of videos of this guy, and word on the streetzzzz was that he was pretty good. The people were right.

Very interesting style, this Falco had. He played Falco pretty similarly to how I think I would if I played the character. Very safe approaches, not super aggressive. Shield pressure was pretty on point, I didn't catch him with many OoS options. Anyways, let's analyze the games. This one's easier because I a video to refer to.

Game 1(BF): Just kind of testing the waters. I stuck with my typical game plan of just shield the lasers, and try to react to the approaches and get nairs OoS. This was kinda of tough against kevbot as this game, I learned that he had a patient style with his approaches, which I think is very rare among Falco mains. He would laser my shield and I would nair OoS, expecting an approach, but then he would just shoot another laser and try to approach as I would land. Also, every time he daired my shield, he would just shine and full jump out. I still got a couple nairs OoS on the way down, so I kept doing it, but I think I probably should switch to more WD OoS.

Looking back at the video, I actually got a lot of shield grabs. 2 or 3 unsafe aerials, and I was pretty good on capitalizing on them. It looks like kevbot wont the neutral 2/3 or 3/4 of the time, but his punishes were about 20%-30% while mine were probably closer to 50%. I also missed the edgeguard a lot. Need to stop automatically throwing the horizontal needle and look to just grab the edge or do something else. I think there is a flow-chart that can be made for edgeguarding spacies, so I'll study/work on that in the future.

Game 2: I banned FD, he picked PS. This game was pretty different from game 1. In game 1, I felt like I was catching kevbot with a lot of nairs, and that would just start a world of hurt for him. This game, I felt like he was trying to do a hit & run kind of style. Lasers on 1 side of the stage to for me to approach, and once I got close, he would try to just throw out a safe move and get out to the other side. And he was abusing Falco's jump height and average mobility as well as Sheik's poor aerial mobility. It was pretty difficult to catch him, and I was getting hit more than I should have been. In short, I just kept losing the neutral, and the kill eventually came for him.

I think the solution to this is just more practice in dealing with lasers. More WD OoS, which I pretty much never do, and less prediction with nair OoS. He was catching onto those patterns, and I think that's what cost me the set. Also, when I was on the edge, I should have just WL straight down onto the stage when he was doing the walk>WD back>fish for ftilt shenanigans. I got caught by that like in 3 stocks.

Game 3: Again, everyone bans FoD on me, so I just go to my usual YS, which I'm beginning to question as a good stage against Falco. He combos pretty hard, and DL would make that harder, while my combo game stays the same. I just wouldn't get as many edgeguard opportunities... but then again... would I? I mean, a fair at 50% should pretty much always send Falco to the edge, and then at 70%, I will pretty much always get an edgeguard attempt. Maybe I should pick DL more. But for this MU, I definitely needed a small stage to deal with the camping a little better.

But it didn't matter, kevbot pretty much took my shield game away from me. I was still going for nairs OoS, and though I hit some, I didn't get any "juicy" ones. Just like random soft nairs, or I would often trade with a utilt, which is loss for me. I couldn't get anything started. I think the moral of this set is really just to get better at OoS and to edgeguard better. Not much else to say about this game. He just adapted to me, and I couldn't adapt back.

So, let's recap/say some things I didn't say explicitly:
-Don't always throw the horizontal needle, but use it as a mix-up. Sometimes, go for the edge or anything off-stage.
-Bair OoS is pretty bad. It worked sometimes, but usually, I would just take an utilt. At best, nothing would happen. It doesn't come out fast enough, and doesn't hit low enough.
-Nair OoS right after shine is fine. It's good, for that matter. I think, this is the first tournament I lost matches because I tried to abuse how good it was. Need to watch the pressure patterns and do things accordingly, rather than go into auto-pilot like I did.
-Practice WD OoS. It's really good for resetting things back to neutral, because I think vs Falco, Falco should generally have a slight advantage with lasers forcing me to shield or SH. So I should start trying to use it in neutral vs lasers, and also while being shield pressured, especially if Falco dairs and lands behind me.

GG's kevbot3k21.

To sum things up about this tournament, I'm okay with how I played. I mean, I was hoping to win, and it sucks that I didn't get to play the 3 players I prepared to beat, and then they ended up getting top 3 (Duke, Robbie, and Steven). We'll play some time later though. They deserve it, though. I hear that they have been practicing a pretty decent amount. Definitely more than myself.

But yeah, I was pretty salty about my losses, though people at the tournament would probably think that I shouldn't be salty because maybe they think I just got lucky in getting as far as I did, or that I got the easy side of the bracket (which looking at the losers bracket, I think my side was harder :p). On the other hand, maybe people would be more like, "Damn, never heard of this guy! He's pretty good!" Either way, my quest to back-up my (unheard of) cockiness, will probably not be achieved. I guess this tournament officially shows that I'm not the best in Davis, which, pre-tourney, I thought I was. But I'm cool with not being the best, I guess. Hopefully, there is some other Davis tournament that happens in the Spring and really good people don't end up coming, so then I can have another chance to prove myself, lawlz.

TL;DR Salty, but iz coo. Hopefully will get runbacks. Need to practice more if I want to win. GG Davis Melee.

Last edited:

Dryillic

Smash Rookie
Nice work man! Very informative! Looking forward to seeing you at more tournaments.

Top Bottom