• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomberman Explodes In Smash 4! We Await for Results

Do you support Bomberman?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

That game was going to make Bomberman a robot again.
Wasn't Bomberman already a robot? Well, at least that game didn't give him his Act Zero look.

That looks like the best handheld Bomberman we've seen in years!
Why did it have to be cancelled?
When Hudson got absorbed into Konami, the game got cancelled. I think several other Hudson Soft games got cancelled as well.

D

Deleted member

Nope. He was in a few of the games in the series. But in most of the other games he wasn't.
Really? Now that's confusing.

I just wonder if Konami is going to reboot the franchise in some way (that hopefully is not like what they did with Act Zero) or if they are going to pick the pieces up to finish the Bomberman game for the 3DS. I'm hoping for the latter.

D

Deleted member

Another confusing thing was that Planet Bomber was actually Earth at one point.

Also, fun fact: Bomberman in Jetters was an alien.
Wait… he was an alien in Jetters? But he's from the Planet Bomber, a planet that's shaped like him. Then again, animes aren't very faithful to the source material at times; the Pokemon anime has several Pokemon use moves that they can't even learn in the actual games and King Dedede in the Kirby anime lacks his abilities to puff up and inhale.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Wait… he was an alien in Jetters? But he's from the Planet Bomber, a planet that's shaped like him. Then again, animes aren't very faithful to the source material at times; the Pokemon anime has several Pokemon use moves that they can't even learn in the actual games and King Dedede in the Kirby anime lacks his abilities to puff up and inhale.
Theres aloso a Jetters game. Made by Hudson. Generation used the same game engine.

D

Deleted member

Theres aloso a Jetters game. Made by Hudson. Generation used the same game engine.

I looked at gameplay footage and it seemed pretty interesting (though the voice acting is very meh). I heard that the game got panned by some critics since MAX didn't bring anything too new to the table and the game acted more as a sequel to Bomberman Generation rather than a tie-in to the anime (some character's personalities were different from what I've heard and apparently MAX is evil instead of a good guy). I might get it depending if I really like Generation at the end. So far, I only beat the first world and I do enjoy the game so far.

I have never seen a single episode of the anime, is it any good?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I looked at gameplay footage and it seemed pretty interesting (though the voice acting is very meh). I heard that the game got panned by some critics since MAX didn't bring anything too new to the table and the game acted more as a sequel to Bomberman Generation rather than a tie-in to the anime (some character's personalities were different from what I've heard and apparently MAX is evil instead of a good guy). I might get it depending if I really like Generation at the end. So far, I only beat the first world and I do enjoy the game so far.

I have never seen a single episode of the anime, is it any good?
It's pretty decent.

The game is pretty meh since i own it and Generation. lol Generation is clearly the better game.

There was only one other tie in game and you could play as a character that's a huge spoiler for the anime. (The spoiler character is the protagonist instead of White Bomber)

D

Deleted member

It's pretty decent.

The game is pretty meh since i own it and Generation. lol Generation is clearly the better game.

There was only one other tie in game and you could play as a character that's a huge spoiler for the anime. (The spoiler character is the protagonist instead of White Bomber)
So I probably shouldn't bother with it?

Yeah, I think it was called Bomberman Tournament or Bomberman Story I believe?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
So I probably shouldn't bother with it?

Yeah, I think it was called Bomberman Tournament or Bomberman Story I believe?
Play it if you're curious. (Max is broken in GCN jetters)

The GBA Jetters game was just called Bomberman Jetters. lol (The character Shout is terrible, by the by. She lives up to her name unfortunately)

D

Deleted member

Play it if you're curious. (Max is broken in GCN jetters)

The GBA Jetters game was just called Bomberman Jetters. lol (The character Shout is terrible, by the by. She lives up to her name unfortunately)

When I saw gameplay of Bomberman Jetters, it looked like the only character you should ever play as is MAX due to his abilities.

Oh! Whoops!

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
When I saw gameplay of Bomberman Jetters, it looked like the only character you should ever play as is MAX due to his abilities.

Oh! Whoops!
MAX is awesome anyway. He's basically Shadow but done right. IMO

Bomberman Tournament is probably one of the few B-Man games i haven't played yet. I want to play it since it's basically an Action RPG and involves enemies from the Super Bomberman games.

D

Deleted member

MAX is awesome anyway. He's basically Shadow but done right. IMO

Bomberman Tournament is probably one of the few B-Man games i haven't played yet. I want to play it since it's basically an Action RPG and involves enemies from the Super Bomberman games.
MAX is a rather cool character. I like Shadow, but I mostly find his character to be pretty meh. I guess I mostly like him because he seems to be the Sonic rival for Luigi.

LUIGI NUMBER ONE!

Is that game pretty rare that you can't find a ROM of it?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
MAX is a rather cool character. I like Shadow, but I mostly find his character to be pretty meh. I guess I mostly like him because he seems to be the Sonic rival for Luigi.

LUIGI NUMBER ONE!

Is that game pretty rare that you can't find a ROM of it?
Nah. It's just i have other games to play before i can give Bomberman my time again.

Weird how Luigi's rival is Shadow even though Shadow is more of a Wario. lol

ryuu seika

Smash Master
A few new moves to add:

Dash Attack - Line Bomb: Bomberman drops from his dash into a slide kick. This doesn't detract from his body height as much as some characters (he doesn't angle as low) so it's not particularly safe and it doesn't keep characters away from him since it has no knockback and only minor damage. If you have two bombs out, the move ends here. Next, a bomb drops just behind the character's head. Don't worry, the move makes him immune to bombs and the drop will cause the move to continue a little longer. Now, once the bomb has gone just over half way to the ground, we reach the second end point. If Bomberman has two bombs out now, the move will end, though the bomb already dropped will continue to fall. Finally, we get to the full move. A second bomb will drop and, since all of these bombs will explode the instant they touch the ground, Bomberman can even spawn a third before the move ends, carry on his kick until the second hits ground.
Regardless of where the move ends, there will be a couple of frames where a perfectly spaced use can hit for actual knockback before the vulnerable standing up animation. This is unlikely to be allowed to hit by the opponent but, should it do so, Bomberman will do little damage or knockback on the first ending, a tiny bit more damage and a decent amount of knockback on the second or a larger but still pitiful amount of damage on the third, accompanied by potentially fatal knockback. This will all occur at roughly 40 degrees upward from horizontal.
Note that, as items, these bombs may be grabbed and thrown back at the character, though they will not hurt him until the vulnerable ending animation.

Forward Smash - Bomb Kick: A simple, chargeable kick with absolutely no bend to the leg at any point. Its damage is ok and its knockback is mediocre, with the angle varying based on the point of contact. These features get better with charge but are never amazing. The hitstun is ok but the end time isn't great, making its primary use the ability to interact with items. Items will receive greater knockback than characters from this move and, unlike with characters, this move cannot launch them off the stage. Charge time will effect the speed with which they travel.

Down Smash - Block: Contrary to what its name might imply, this is not a counter move. It does have defensive use but such use requires strategic planning, as you will soon see.
To start the move, Bomberman spins and, while doing so, drops to one knee, facing towards or away from the camera. As this motion nears its end, he pushes outward with both hands and blocks like those seen in his multiplayer stages come to his aid, working a lot like Olimar's pikmin do in his down smash. They are roughly the same size as his bombs but are not grabbable or left lying around. They vanish as the move ends and, while their range will depend slightly on the charge, their damage and knockback will not, since they push rather than fire enemies. The blocks may also be broken if hit, either by an item or by another player. When this happens they will not reappear if the move is used again with a time window of, oh, I don't know, 12 seconds? During the last few seconds, however, that dust puff signifying a block spawn will show as a visual effect. It may also spawn an item (~35% chance) when broken. Should it do so, a clever opponent will get first dibs on it if nearby since Bomberman has to finish the move before he can pick it up but, with clever placement of bombs, our hero can use this item spawning to his advantage, trading off part of his defence for a potential game changer.
When one or both blocks are missing, this move has a much shorter range and that nolonger scales with knockback. His body is now exposed and, while his hands do fairly large damage and knockback (charge based), they have a tiny hitbox that is often beaten out by other things. They can also shove items but, with the superior "Bomb Kick" in his arsenal, that isn't really a practical application for Bomberman.

D

Deleted member

A few new moves to add:

Dash Attack - Line Bomb:
Bomberman drops from his dash into a slide kick. This doesn't detract from his body height as much as some characters (he doesn't angle as low) so it's not particularly safe and it doesn't keep characters away from him since it has no knockback and only minor damage. If you have two bombs out, the move ends here. Next, a bomb drops just behind the character's head. Don't worry, the move makes him immune to bombs and the drop will cause the move to continue a little longer. Now, once the bomb has gone just over half way to the ground, we reach the second end point. If Bomberman has two bombs out now, the move will end, though the bomb already dropped will continue to fall. Finally, we get to the full move. A second bomb will drop and, since all of these bombs will explode the instant they touch the ground, Bomberman can even spawn a third before the move ends, carry on his kick until the second hits ground.
Regardless of where the move ends, there will be a couple of frames where a perfectly spaced use can hit for actual knockback before the vulnerable standing up animation. This is unlikely to be allowed to hit by the opponent but, should it do so, Bomberman will do little damage or knockback on the first ending, a tiny bit more damage and a decent amount of knockback on the second or a larger but still pitiful amount of damage on the third, accompanied by potentially fatal knockback. This will all occur at roughly 40 degrees upward from horizontal.
Note that, as items, these bombs may be grabbed and thrown back at the character, though they will not hurt him until the vulnerable ending animation.

Forward Smash - Bomb Kick: A simple, chargeable kick with absolutely no bend to the leg at any point. Its damage is ok and its knockback is mediocre, with the angle varying based on the point of contact. These features get better with charge but are never amazing. The hitstun is ok but the end time isn't great, making its primary use the ability to interact with items. Items will receive greater knockback than characters from this move and, unlike with characters, this move cannot launch them off the stage. Charge time will effect the speed with which they travel.

Down Smash - Block: Contrary to what its name might imply, this is not a counter move. It does have defensive use but such use requires strategic planning, as you will soon see.
To start the move, Bomberman spins and, while doing so, drops to one knee, facing towards or away from the camera. As this motion nears its end, he pushes outward with both hands and blocks like those seen in his multiplayer stages come to his aid, working a lot like Olimar's pikmin do in his down smash. They are roughly the same size as his bombs but are not grabbable or left lying around. They vanish as the move ends and, while their range will depend slightly on the charge, their damage and knockback will not, since they push rather than fire enemies. The blocks may also be broken if hit, either by an item or by another player. When this happens they will not reappear if the move is used again with a time window of, oh, I don't know, 12 seconds? During the last few seconds, however, that dust puff signifying a block spawn will show as a visual effect. It may also spawn an item (~35% chance) when broken. Should it do so, a clever opponent will get first dibs on it if nearby since Bomberman has to finish the move before he can pick it up but, with clever placement of bombs, our hero can use this item spawning to his advantage, trading off part of his defence for a potential game changer.
When one or both blocks are missing, this move has a much shorter range and that nolonger scales with knockback. His body is now exposed and, while his hands do fairly large damage and knockback (charge based), they have a tiny hitbox that is often beaten out by other things. They can also shove items but, with the superior "Bomb Kick" in his arsenal, that isn't really a practical application for Bomberman.
Alright! I will add these to your moveset in the OP!

D

Deleted member

Looks like Bomberman finally got a mention on Miiverse-

Oh… oh… oh…
At least it's something? Whatever. I'm just happy to know that people haven't forgotten about him.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
That Mii looks a lot like mine. I'm not on Miiverse though.

I had an idea for an item: the power glove. It would work like the metal cap but, rather than a metal effect, it would turn the character's hands blue and, while active, remove all charge time and pseudo charge time (eg. Falcon Punch) from moves, making them come out instantly at full charge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That Mii looks a lot like mine. I'm not on Miiverse though.

I had an idea for an item: the power glove. I would work like the metal cap but, rather than a metal effect, it would turn the character's hands blue and, while active, remove all charge time and pseudo charge time (eg. Falcon Punch) from moves, making them come out instantly at full charge.
That's a good idea for an item!

I am actually more thinking of an Item Kick where a character will suddenly kick items automatically. This would include items like Link's Bombs or Diddy Kong's bananas for example. How is that?

D

Deleted member

That feels like a curse rather than a powerup. Apply it to all items, not just character spawned ones, and I think it could work well to represent the more unpleasant side of Bomberman items.
Yeah. I meant the Item Kick would apply to every single item (Hammers, Ray Guns, Crates, Bumpers, etc.).

Theres actually quite a few people that want Bomberman on Miiverse.
That's really good to know! Glad to hear that people on there want to see the White Bomber.

D

Deleted member

I beat an entire world yesterday in Bomberman Generation. It was the second world that has the water and ice theme.
As I progressed through the level, I just realized what could be a good Assist Trophy, Pommy.

This adorable Charabom originated from Bomberman 64: The Second Attack and played a major role within that game.

What could he do as an Assist Trophy? Hmm… I was thinking that there could be a certain charm with him. While he isn't a bomb user, I suppose he can lay down bombs and use remote bombs to detonate them; this was an ability that he could give to you in Bomberman Generation (he is basically the Remote Bombs power-up). Not only that, but I was thinking that he can do some slight punches with a more powerful punch at times. However, Pommy is a coward and refuses to help Bomberman in boss fights in The Second Attack. So, I think that he could cower in fear at times. He could be a strategic Assist Trophy, a good damage dealer, or he could be pretty useless. What he does is random and each one happens with a 33% chance.

I have added this to the OP. Feel free to tell me your ideas for Assist Trophies!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

For a while I even considered Pommy as a character. He doesn't really have the potential to be one but the P.Dragon FS would be pretty sweet.
I would totally support Pommy if Bomberman was a first party franchise.

He would be a pretty cool character to be honest.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
I'd very much enjoy should Bomberman get in. It's not the first time Nintendo would include semi-forgotten franchises, even if they aren't first party.

Bomberman has an insanely unique moveset potential with his SNES bomb/upgrade-mechanics, his graphical style would not at all clash with the other characters and should the explosion-savvy Snake not make it in this time around, Bomberman would make for a great alternative.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Bomberman has an insanely unique moveset potential with his SNES bomb/upgrade-mechanics, his graphical style would not at all clash with the other characters and should the explosion-savvy Snake not make it in this time around, Bomberman would make for a great alternative.
Out of all of the possible third parties, Bomberman is the easiest to fit in with the rest of the cast. As I mentioned in the OP, Bomberman can easily fit in the cartoony and bright aesthetic to Smash Bros. I do hope that Snake isn't in this game just so that Bomberman can at least have some hope for the next game. As for the explosives, Bomberman would use far more explosives than Snake; he IS Bomberman after all!

Are you supporting this? If so, please remember to click "Yes" on the poll and I'll add you to the support list!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Two more moves:

Up Smash - Power Upper: Quite frankly, I have no idea where this move comes from but it appears to be a moveset staple in that other fighting game you linked video of so here goes.
Bomberman drops into a slight crouch, pulling his fist back and entering a charging state where his hand will glow with some sort of energy, as well as turning bluer over time. After the charge, he will perform a powerful uppercut with a slight leap to it, though the move cannot end while he's in the air so this is only for effect. Its damage and knockback aren't bad and scale with the charge but nor are they as great as many other U smashes. This move will not kill at decent percents by itself. So, what's special about this move that makes it viable? It has a hitbox below the actual attack that will drag players and even items up into it. This both means it can be used over a ledge to edgeguard at the high percents where the knockback might be fatal and, more importantly, to fling bombs. U smash to D special to U smash, while not guaranteed to hit if your opponent has good horizontal movement, is a powerful tactic.

Down Tilt - Remote Bomb: Bomberman, in his crouched state, quickly whips out a silver remote control, potentially hitting with it for tiny damage and flinching knockback. It has only one button on it, big and red. He pushes this and the end of the aerial electrifies, doing slightly more damage and a good bit of hitstun. These hitboxes are tiny so the move alone isn't much use. More importantly though, this causes every one of Bomberman's bombs to detonate immediately. A surprise tactic with great potential effect.

D

Deleted member

I've been playing some of Bomberman Generation lately (though I have admittedly have been playing Xenoblade a lot more). So far, the game is fun! I just beat the third world.

The game looks pretty good and I love how the environments look (the first levels of the second world are my favorite). The game isn't too hard in my opinion as the puzzles are very basic to solve. There is a penalty for dying where you have level 1 speed, bomb explosions, and bomb amounts, you can simply quit the game and go back to the level you died at with all of your level 5 or 6 items.

The game's Charabom system… eh. The battles in that game confuse me and I just go with whatever. If you do what I said in the previous paragraph if you die, then the only Charaboms that I find to be worth it are the ones that have homing bombs, the one that gives you more damage resistance, and Pommy who gives you remote bombs.

The bosses… I just blow things up. That's the best I could describe them. (the second boss is annoying to get through the first phase while the second phase kinda reminds me of Dodongos)

Overall, I am having an enjoyable experience. I don't have too many complaints, other than the Professor forcing you to stop what you're doing so that you can listen to him say, "Unlock the secrets of the ruins!" I don't hate the Professor, but I his cutscenes were skippable.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Most of the charabombs have a use somewhere but, with the exception of Pommy Dragon and his earlier relations, I'm pretty sure none of them were mandatory for victory. Also, as you alluded to, I remember the charabombs fights being poorly explained and hugely RNG centred. It's a phrase I thought I'd never use but I'm going to have to say it: they should have played like Pokémon.

As for the difficulty, the final level is a massive ramp up, just you wait.

D

Deleted member

Most of the charabombs have a use somewhere but, with the exception of Pommy Dragon and his earlier relations, I'm pretty sure none of them were mandatory for victory. Also, as you alluded to, I remember the charabombs fights being poorly explained and hugely RNG centred. It's a phrase I thought I'd never use but I'm going to have to say it: they should have played like Pokémon.

As for the difficulty, the final level is a massive ramp up, just you wait.
When you say that Pommy Dragon is mandatory… I am expecting something like Doom Castle now. I find the Charabom battles to be a very poor man's Pokemon. I dunno what is going on 100% of the time and, at the end, I think, "OK. I guess I did this right?"

Oh boy. Now I am expecting the worse. I bet that every level prior will be easy or have a moderate difficulty and then the VERY LAST LEVEL will be difficult. I still have painful thoughts of the final level from Wario World. It's all nice until the very last level punches you in the face.

EDIT: I have decided to remove the support list. Click "Yes" on the poll and you are a supporter! Afterwards, click the number of votes to see who is supporting!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Doom Castle? If you want, I'll tell you what Pommy Dragon is and does but I specifically didn't for the sake of not spoiling the minor surprise.
I have Pommy Dragon.
He has Remote Bombs and a Bomb Jump. If you're saying that's mandatory, then I'm starting to think that there is a Doom Castle-like level in this game.

Also, Doom Castle is from Bomberman 64. It is the level right before the final boss.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Oh, the Rainbow Palace stage, nah, nothing that extreme, not even near, just a few points where his abilities are needed.
Could have sworn "Bomb Jump" was a standard game mechanic and he gave you line bombs though.

Oh well, clearly my memory of Generations isn't too good.

Top Bottom