• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb recovery.

Vale

Smash Ace
To aerial glide toss, you cancel the first few frames of an airdodge with an item throw. In relatively quick order, the action is hold direction --> air dodge --> c-stick in any direction
You will go the direction held, and the bomb will go the direction you move the c-stick.
Alternatively, if you've already been holding the bomb for several seconds, you can up-b, have the bomb explode, and then up-b again.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
1. Get a bomb. If you have to do this in the air, be careful not to fast-fall. Ideally, you can set c-stick to specials, but if you haven't done this, you can hold the control stick at an angle. There is a spot where the controller will read "far enough down for down-b, but not far enough for fast fall."

2. Use your second jump (if you still have it). This step isn't mandatory, but it's recommended. If you don't do this, accidentally double jumping can mess up the timing. This can also be used to cancel the fast falling if you fast fall on step 1.

3. Aerial Glide Toss (AGT) the bomb up. This is done by air dodging up, then immediately throwing the bomb up. It isn't too hard to get, but it might take some practice. P:M mechanics allow you to "cancel" the air dodge with the throw. The effect of this is that you gain the movement from the air dodge, you will no longer be able to use your air dodge, you are left in a non-helpless state, and you can still use other attacks.

4. Immediately up-b into the bomb. Pretty simplistic, nothing special.
**addendum A** If your up-b has staled enough from over-usage, there is the possibility that your up-b will not be strong enough to blow up the bomb. If you move slightly forward (toward the stage), and then slightly back to hit it an angle. You will destroy the bomb more reliably. I have heard that after 4 up-b's, it will be too weak to go straight up, and that hitting it with your shoulder is the best angle. I have not had a chance to test any of this.

5. DI towards the stage (Optional, but you'll probably end up doing it anyway). After you get hit, move your control stick towards the stage. If done at the right time, the bomb will knock you towards the stage. If you do this too soon, you might miss the bomb though, so be careful.

6. Use your second up-b or tether grab. No explanation needed.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
#2 isn't necessary if you have tap jump off. However, you should know that turning off tap jump makes doing spin attack out of shield much harder.

Also, instead of #6, you may want to repeat and do another bomb jump recovery. Keep in mind that you only get about 4. You also lose a chance for every recent time you've hit anyone with up-b.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
I've never been knocked off the stage so far that I needed to use 2 bomb jumps, but I guess it's possible. You could also use it to air stall.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
You can effectively recover from the furthest reaches of Final Destination lol

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
It's happened to me a time or two on Dreamland. Even in situations where you might be able to just barely make it back without a second bomb jump, barely isn't going to cut it when facing a ledge guarder and you need to do a 2nd bomb jump to give you more options.

cmloe

Smash Cadet
Do you need to have a extra jump to bomb jump or can you do it with no jumps left?

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
Do you need to have a extra jump to bomb jump or can you do it with no jumps left?
You can do it without an extra jump. In fact, most link mains do it without using up their double jump. The upwards momentum provided with the AGT (Aerial Glide Toss) -> Up gives you enough to be able to hit the bomb with relative ease.

xandre

Smash Cadet
i'm having a really hard time consistently landing the up-b after this. am i just doing it too slowly? the bomb is basically touching the top of my head. i can't tell why i'm doing it sometimes and not others.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I'm woefully unfamiliar with moves becoming stale -- how do you make it fresh? Wait? # of moves since then? Both?
You'd have to wait for it to become fresh again, but that really doesn't matter in competitive play, as people are constantly attacking you and don't pay much attention to the staleness of their moves.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Stale moves:
There is a constant running tally of the last 9 moves you have landed. Damage is reduced for every instance of a move in that tally. If an attack doesn't do enough damage, it will not blow up the bomb, so hitting with up-b will eventually lead to bombs not blowing up.

LeafR

Smash Rookie
4. Immediately up-b into the bomb. Pretty simplistic, nothing special.
**addendum A** If your up-b has staled enough from over-usage, there is the possibility that your up-b will not be strong enough to blow up the bomb. If you move slightly forward (toward the stage), and then slightly back to hit it an angle. You will destroy the bomb more reliably. I have heard that after 4 up-b's, it will be too weak to go straight up, and that hitting it with your shoulder is the best angle. I have not had a chance to test any of this.

5. DI towards the stage (Optional, but you'll probably end up doing it anyway). After you get hit, move your control stick towards the stage. If done at the right time, the bomb will knock you towards the stage. If you do this too soon, you might miss the bomb though, so be careful.
On #4: I find it to be more reliable to wait a little bit before doing the up-b after AGTed bomb. I wait until Link's feet are (somewhat) back at the level of the "smoke/cloud" that is made when one does the AGT. Perhaps the reasoning behind this is that instead of chasing a bomb that's speeding away from you, you're letting it lose some speed, and then chasing it. This is what works for me.

On #5: You can actually smash DI (move your c-stick) towards the stage to get thrown into the stage once you blow up. You can press and hold the direction in the c-stick as soon as you start your up-b. I find this alternative to be superior since you don't have to mess with the movement of your character while you're chasing the bomb, and it does not require precision which translates to less mistakes.

i'm having a really hard time consistently landing the up-b after this. am i just doing it too slowly? the bomb is basically touching the top of my head. i can't tell why i'm doing it sometimes and not others.
Try out my reply to Kaeldiar's #4.

Last edited:
Top Bottom